NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Spider-Man (PS4)

Wow that's pretty poor, only a month after release is ridiculous. At least wait a bit of time so it looks a bit better to the consumer!

That said £50 (at launch, before the big price cut) isn't enough for big AAA games any more so they need to make more money. As games get even bigger things like DLC, season passes and lootboxes will only increase. Unless they up the price of games that is, which won't happen.

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I was reading about this yesterday and it certainly does sour me on the game a little. I usually don't bother with DLC when it's handled like this as I feel it's a slap to the consumers face. When stuff like this is announced before a game has launched, and the first content drops so soon after launch, you can't help but feel that the DLC was cut from the main game, despite what the developers and publishers may tell you. 

I've gotta pin this on Marvel. Insomniac haven't done DLC like this in any of their other games that they've made for Sony and in recent years Sony's own studios have released Uncharted 4, God of War, Infamous and Horizon, all without this kind of DLC attached to it. The way Horizon Zero Dawn handled DLC was perfect and if more developers/publishers want to add to their game after release then that should be the model to follow. 

I still need to play that Horizon DLC. It looks awesome. 

Unfortunately, I guess this is a by-product of season passes and the like. I know that I mention this game allllll the tiiiiime, but I really, really love how CD Projekt Red handled The Witcher 3's DLC and expansions. They added a few light bits of DLC into the game for free via an update, like alternative costumes for certain characters and I think there were a few sidequests, too. There were 16 pieces of DLC altogether. But, the expansions themselves were "meaty" and it was clear that they had spent months working on this after release. Hearts of Stone came I think 4 or 5 months after release and Blood and Wine came about 6 months after that. Both came with toooons of story stuff, new locations, new gear and armour. B&W's expansion came with a huuuuuge new area and contained a new mutation system. Both expansions had tons of new sidequests along with a main mission quest. I happily bought both physical sets for the expansion because they came with the Gwent cards. 

My point is that there are great ways of doing DLC and ways of handling it. We'll see how it's handled in this case and if the content is significant or not. It was clear in The Witcher's case that the developers had been working hard on this for a long time and it simply wasn't stuff that was taken out of the game last minute and charged for afterwards. Maybe we should be saying no to DLC and yes to expansions?

• Like 2

One way of not doing it is have it out a month after the game's release. D'oh.

OH NO! THERE ARE LESS PUDDLES IN THE GAME THAN THERE USED TO BE! NOT BUYING THIS GAME ANYMORE

(I jest of course, but that's what the reaction to the graphical downgrade seems to be like at the moment).

I don't think the game not having as good as graphics as was earlier shown is going to affect the overall quality of the game, if there's anything that is going to affect the game it is going to be gameplay and story issues, not a graphical downgrade.

On 19/07/2018 at 11:10 PM, Julius Caesar said:

The console itself looks superb...but that controller looks daft. 

I had the same thoughts about that Darth Vader PS4 from a few years back: great console, not-so-great-looking controller.

vader_ps4.0.0.jpg

But anyways...JUST HURRY UP AND BE SEPTEMBER ALREADY. 

Literally the PlayStation I had that set on fire.... and my Spider-Man PS4 should arrive on release day!

On 31/08/2018 at 8:10 PM, GenericAperson said:

OH NO! THERE ARE LESS PUDDLES IN THE GAME THAN THERE USED TO BE! NOT BUYING THIS GAME ANYMORE

(I jest of course, but that's what the reaction to the graphical downgrade seems to be like at the moment).

I don't think the game not having as good as graphics as was earlier shown is going to affect the overall quality of the game, if there's anything that is going to affect the game it is going to be gameplay and story issues, not a graphical downgrade.

Does this mean we should all cancel our pre orders?

The comparison should have had an even blurrier pic. Camera pic from one of those old nokia's :heh: then with emboss and more sharpening.

Edited by Choze

DLC trailer

Could of waited for the game to come out, gonna hold off getting this now and wait until they release a complete edition.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:10 PM, GenericAperson said:

It's clearly a significant graphical downgrade that a marketing genius has done an incredible job of spinning round so people are just making fun of others for complaining about puddles. Everything from lighting to the textures of Spidey himself look significantly worse, and that shouldn't be ignored/downplayed, especially on a game landing at £50 with DLC already being trailed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

It's clearly a significant graphical downgrade that a marketing genius has done an incredible job of spinning round so people are just making fun of others for complaining about puddles. Everything from lighting to the textures of Spidey himself look significantly worse, and that shouldn't be ignored/downplayed, especially on a game landing at £50 with DLC already being trailed.

Most big AAA games get downgraded by release (though certain other publishers games' actually improve visually closer to release), it's just a fact of the industry. I don't think it's intentionally misleading the consumer, just the reality of having to ship a bug-free game with a decent performance. I'm obviously not a developer but I suspect it's much easier/makes more sense to aim high then dial back if need be. Oh and I really can't see this game not being worth £50, it'll be full of content, and still looks beautiful IMO.

The DLC thing is annoying but it's the reality of games being cheaper than they've ever been, whilst being 100x more complex than back in the day. The timing of it is ridiculous though, that is inexcusable.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I wish that they would at least pretend that they hadn't already completed the DLC content before the game is released.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Most big AAA games get downgraded by release (though certain other publishers games' actually improve visually closer to release), it's just a fact of the industry. I don't think it's intentionally misleading the consumer, just the reality of having to ship a bug-free game with a decent performance. I'm obviously not a developer but I suspect it's much easier/makes more sense to aim high then dial back if need be.

You might be missing the part where they are adamantly claiming nothing has changed? It's not the downgrade that's the major issue, it's the misleading/claims that they were showing us final graphics and that nothing's changed.

spider-man-downgrade-3.jpg

Thinking of cancelling my pre order. :laughing::heh:

Picture needs to be like for like. Which is not the case above!

edit: They seem to have actually upgraded the game...

Edited by Choze

16 minutes ago, Shorty said:

You might be missing the part where they are adamantly claiming nothing has changed? It's not the downgrade that's the major issue, it's the misleading/claims that they were showing us final graphics and that nothing's changed.

spider-man-downgrade-3.jpg

Good work proving my point about their marketing genius wrapping you around their little finger :indeed: turning it into a joke/back around on the people making the complaints was an absolute killer move and it's worked on you guys fully.

Any visual downgrade didn't bother me much in the first place, it's really just their approach that has been uncool. Same with the DLC, I'll likely buy it, but I feel it's sudden and early arrival is a bit suspect.

• Like 1

Oh man, this looks so good. I don't know if I'll be able to resist it for very long...

14 minutes ago, Shorty said:

turning it into a joke/back around on the people making the complaints was an absolute killer move

Agree, because the people making the complaints deserve to be laughed at in this case

Whether it has been upgraded or downgraded, the game still looks pretty good to me and my pre-order is locked in now so... ::shrug:

This will be the first Spider-Man game that I've bought since The Amazing Spider-Man VS the Kingpin on the Sega Mega-CD so I'm still looking forward to it. :smile:

I don't know how much of a difference there will be between playing on an original PS4 and a PS4 Pro but I'm still on my original console...

Just dusted it inside and out so it's ready to go - there actually wasn't that much dust in it as it happens - but better to be on the safe side. :D

Still not too happy about the dlc but... well, I might just wait on a sale for those extra parts of the game, at least we have the base game to hopefully enjoy for now. :peace:

I very much agree with what @Shorty is saying.  Not that I think the game looks bad (quite the opposite), I just think people are very compliant and defensive over things they have already emotionally invested in.

24 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

This will be the first Spider-Man game that I've bought since The Amazing Spider-Man VS the Kingpin on the Sega Mega-CD so I'm still looking forward to it. :smile:

Haha, that was great.  I can still hear the song in my head.  Something about "It's swingtime…!"

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Grazza said:

I very much agree with what @Shorty is saying.  Not that I think the game looks bad (quite the opposite), I just think people are very compliant and defensive over things they have already emotionally invested in.

Haha, that was great.  I can still hear the song in my head.  Something about "It's swingtime…!"

Yes, that pretty much sums up my thoughts as well, I wouldn't say that I'm personally too emotionally invested in Spider-Man but there's definitely something which appeals.

Specifically from the element of gameplay, just being able to web-swing around the city and I've always quite liked his back-story as well.

I'm not even too big on the films... the last one I watched was Spider-Man 2... the one which released around... 2004 but nothing since then.

There's plenty of audio from that Mega-CD game which still sticks in my head, especially the cut-scenes as well. :D

You're probably right, it has been a while since I played it but I kind of know which song you mean, I think I need to replay it soon when I set up my Multi Mega via RGB Scart. :peace:

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Yes, that pretty much sums up my thoughts as well, I wouldn't say that I'm personally too emotionally invested in Spider-Man but there's definitely something which appeals.

Specifically from the element of gameplay, just being able to web-swing around the city and I've always quite liked his back-story as well.

Oh yeah, it looks great!  I'm seriously thinking of getting a PS4 for this and Dragon Quest XI.  I played Spider-Man 2 (excellent) and Ultimate Spider-Man (not so good), and wasn't quite sure if any of them after that did the concept as well as Spider-Man 2.  Climbing round the city was an experience I haven't matched again with anything else.

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I'm not even too big on the films... the last one I watched was Spider-Man 2... the one which released around... 2004 but nothing since then.

Those were the ones (Tobey Maquire's first two) that nailed it most, in my opinion, and that's not my judgement on the individual actors; just that they were the best in terms of storytelling and all-round entertainment.  However, I do think the nature of this character and his foes is more suited to a high-budget TV series.  Which is one reason I like the look of this game, actually - that it fits in all the (sometimes overlooked) villains.

• Thanks 1

Going back a bit I'm not sure why confirming DLC pre-release is an issue specifically with this game as it's pretty much the norm now (the confirmation rather than the creation), but maybe I'm not paying enough attention. 

I'm curious to keep an eye on this game but lord knows I won't get a chance to play it soon. 

7 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Going back a bit I'm not sure why confirming DLC pre-release is an issue specifically with this game as it's pretty much the norm now (the confirmation rather than the creation), but maybe I'm not paying enough attention. 

I'm curious to keep an eye on this game but lord knows I won't get a chance to play it soon. 

I think it's more that it's out a month after the game releases, and there's trailers etc already being shown.

Sign in to follow this