NEurope
killthenet

Euro 2016

If Portugal fail to beat Hungary tomorrow then they could end up finishing 3rd and end up playing England. Meaning we could have England, Portugal, Italy, Spain. France and Germany on the same side of the draw.

Looking at that just shows what a poor decision it was by Roy Hodgson to make wholesale changes. The other side of the draw looks more favourable.

With Turkey currently winning 0-2, i believe that result would send N Ireland through? That's pretty good.

Yep :yay:

image.jpg

Bring on the knockout stages :grin:

What a game between Hungary and Portugal, Hungary have taken the lead THREE TIMES! Best game of the Euros so far entertainment wise.

The Hungary vs Portugal game has been amazing so far! About time we had a high scoring, high tempo game in this tournament.

Ronaldo finally turns up levelling the game again and Hungary hit the post keeping it at 3-3. My heart can't take this.

Ronaldo finally turns up and Hungary hit the post keeping it at 3-3. My heart can't take this.

It's crazy! Proper end to end stuff.

EDIT:ICELAND YOU GLORIOUS SONS A BITCHES!!!

Really didn't want to play Portugal.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
Automerged Doublepost

EDIT:ICELAND YOU GLORIOUS SONS A BITCHES!!!

Really didn't want to play Portugal.

But Portugals lack of defense was ideal for us, we've shown we can't break down highly defensive teams. :shakehead

Holy shit, that was way more dramatic than it needed to be :woops: What a group!

And also, really slow start on our part. Our defence is usually better than this. Good thing they got their shit together on the second half.

We're drawn with Croatia, now, away from the "deadly half" of the tournament :heh:

But Portugals lack of defense was ideal for us, we've shown we can't break down highly defensive teams. :shakehead

True but Portugal are a bogey team for us. No doubt we will still get beat anyway. :D

Nope, Iceland are our opponents in the last 16. Cracking game between Hungary and Portugal though.

Nope, Iceland are our opponents in the last 16. Cracking game between Hungary and Portugal though.

I know Iceland are our opponents but considering we couldn't beat a terrible Russian side, I'm not confident at all.

Cracking and well deserved win for the ROI, especially after being denied a pen. Well done to them.

Yes, yes, yes Ireland! Fantastic performance under a tonne of pressure, it looked like they'd fluffed it when Hoolahan missed that golden opportunity but he made up for it with that wonderful cross.

Ireland's win now means that Turkey are out and Wales will be playing Northern Ireland on Saturday. I'm really not sure who I want to win in that game, i'd be happy for either team to get through. I think today has been the best day of the competition so far, 4 really good games.

*clears throat*

COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN

OH ME HEART, what a performance, what a game!

First half couldnt believe how well we played, thought I was dreaming, unlucky not to be one up at half time, and the ref was BLIND with at least 1 clear penalty and 2 others that could have been penalties also.

When it got to the 75th min and after so much Irish pressure with no goal to show for it we kind dropped off a bit and Insigne came on and sparked some life into Italy and gave me a few heart attacks.

When Wes missed that awesome chance I was on the floor in near tears, I think he was surprised the ref played him on which I was too. But damn did he make up for it with that sweet sweet cross onto Robbie Brady's head!

Going into the tournament so many people pinned Ireland as bottom of this group, and after what happened in 2012 I dont blame them. But I think this year we have proven that this is a far different team with a much better mentality than the one Trappatoni had in 2012.

Great night, now bring on the French on Sunday. Hopefully the lads can pull off another great performance and who knows maybe this will be time for karma to back around after what happened in October 2009!

Now I'm just gonna leave this song hear and proceed to ROAR!!!!!!!!

Wow, the last 8 matches have been disastrous for my points...my predictions were way off.

And now that a lot of the bigger teams play against each other my predictions for the quarterfinals are also fucked...I will lose so many points :(

Still, Hungary - Portugal was an incredible game. I wanted Portugal to lose, though...

Two days without football...what am I to do with my life :laughing:

I have to work 4-11 on Saturday meaning I'll miss Northern Ireland v Wales :sad:

I'll probably miss that, too, because it's my girlfriend's great aunt's birthday and we're invited.

I think I'll just turn on the TV...makes for a great first impression as I haven't met the lady's great aunt, yet :D

By the way, just listen to this:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Icelandic commentator going wild on that 2:1 against Austria :laughing:

By the way, just listen to this:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Icelandic commentator going wild on that 2:1 against Austria :laughing:

Was just about to share that, it's brilliant. :D

Couldn't tear my eyes away from the Hungary-Portugal game. Every time I seemed to turn around, a goal was scored! Crazy, crazy game. More of that, please!

Pleased that Belgium also got the win yesterday. I did fear that the game would end 0-0...ruining another prediction of mine! I'm top of the league now at work. :D

Hope the Iceland game will be interesting to watch. Not sure if I can take another attack vs. defence game.

The Power Cube!

Fantastic goal. I reckon Switzerland will snick it though if it goes to penalties.

Edited by 130131301364

Wales have edged through thanks to a McAuley Own Goal, the cruellest way to exit a competition.

A real shame that the own goal was the difference, but it was a fantastic cross from Bale and McAuley did all he could. Wales definitely were second best, but they've got more potential to get further in the tournament than Northern Ireland did. I really hope this isn't the peak for Northern Ireland and Michael O'Neill, they deserve to play regular tournament football.

Wales were shit and were extremely lucky to go through. Too many players underperformed and Northern Ireland were all over them, preventing them from forming any cohesive attacks. Very few chances in the entire game and it could very easily have gone to penalties.

All three games today have been shit and boring as fuck. I think this will set the tone now for this round. Too many teams are building up the play really slowly, scared shitless that they'll concede a shot, let alone a goal. No risks, no bravery and no real excitement for the audience watching. Football, especially international football, is waaaay too defensive-focused these days.

Disappointed that Croatia have gone out, but they didn't look close to the side that beat Spain last week. It was a really edgy game, plenty of good defending but no real cutting edge from either team and the goal only came about because Croatia started to push on and score to win the game before penalties. Portugal were good defensively but Ronaldo was hardly in the game, they definitely improve when Sanches came on too.

Their Quarter Final is a strange one as neither Portugal or Poland have really impressed so far in the tournament so you'd think something would have to give with that fixture.

Hopefully tomorrows games are better, I think France vs Ireland will be a cracker.

I felt our goalkeeper wasn't very good, so it's a good thing we played more defensively than usual. I agree that the match was boring, though it picked up in the last 5 minutes

The winning goal was pretty good, also. I'm glad we defeated the toughest opponent on our half.