N-Europe

Driving on the motorway (England)

Nuntendo

Hey, I'm a new driver and have only been on a big motorway for an extended period of time once before - and that was at night with barely any cars on the road.

I was just wondering which lane, in a 3 or 4 lane motorway is the best lane to be in generally?

When I was on the motorway before, I stayed in the left hand lane (slow lane) but I had trouble and felt pressured letting people from slip roads on to the motorway.

I'm thinking the middle lane is probably best as the right hand lane is basically for people who speed. But i know that the middle lane may be problematic as I will have to be on the look out for traffic merging from both the other lanes.

Any other advice would be appreciated. My journey will take around 4 hours.

Thanks!

You should always be in the left lane unless you're overtaking, simple as that.

You can actually get points/fined for just driving in the middle lane if the left hand lane is clear.

The best thing to do is be aware that a junction is coming up and if you can move into the middle lane to let the slower moving traffic onto the motorway then do so.

Stay in the slow lane, unless you are coming up to a slip road, then move into the middle to let people in. Then move back. Technically they should match your speed and enter the motorway without you moving or slowing down, but that pretty much never happens. They'll just barge in without looking sometimes, so be aware.

Don't sit in the middle lane the whole time, especially if the slow lane is empty. It's called middle lane hogging, and it's actually illegal!

Otherwise, don't feel pressured to go faster than you're comfortable with, and check your blind spot when changing lanes. And indicate!

Where's @Dogamoto when you need him. Didn't he used to be a Driving Instructor?

Legally you're supposed to stay on slow/outside lane, but I would probably do as you, and stick around the middle.

You can actually get points/fined for just driving in the middle lane if the left hand lane is clear.

ooohhh! I didnt know that. Glad I asked! Thanks.

But basically if there is lots of traffic I can basically 'overtake' for long periods of time if that is the case? Correct?

A lot of it is just reading the road and being as polite as you can, move when you're in the way, etc

The best thing to do is be aware that a junction is coming up and if you can move into the middle lane to let the slower moving traffic onto the motorway then do so.

The problem I had last time is that i didnt realise the slip road was there until I was basically right on top of it. Are there any signs or anything I should be looking out for?

Otherwise, don't feel pressured to go faster than you're comfortable with, and check your blind spot when changing lanes. And indicate!

I was told not to check my blind spot on motorways and just to check my mirrors. Is that wrong?

And, I always indicate so no worries there ;):)

The problem I had last time is that i didnt realise the slip road was there until I was basically right on top of it. Are there any signs or anything I should be looking out for?

Well when there is a junction where you can leave the motorway then just after you'll get a slip road where traffic will enter the motorway. Also big blue signs a mile and then half a mile (I think) before each junction.

I was told not to check my blind spot on motorways and just to check my mirrors. Is that wrong?

And, I always indicate so no worries there ;):)

God knows who told you that but the reason it's called the blind spot is because you can't see it using your mirrors! If there is a car in that position when you change lanes then you won't see it using your mirrors and you're gonna be causing an accident by not checking it!

Well when there is a junction where you can leave the motorway then just after you'll get a slip road where traffic will enter the motorway. Also big blue signs a mile and then half a mile (I think) before each junction.

God knows who told you that but the reason it's called the blind spot is because you can't see it using your mirrors! If there is a car in that position when you change lanes then you won't see it using your mirrors and you're gonna be causing an accident by not checking it!

OK thank you.

I'm so glad I posted here lol.

I posted the exact same thread on two other forums and here is the only place where people have responded so far. Thanks guys! This forum seems really cool. I'm definitely sticking around :)

I can give the Midwest American perspective on highway driving. Don't indicate, speed like mad, and make rude hand gestures at anyone even slightly annoying.

But seriously all the advice here is good. And if people are right on you and you don't or can't go faster or move out the way, ignore them. They can get frustrated all they want, just stay in your comfort zone.

I'd agree with what everyone has written, good advice.

Don't worry about people entering the motorway, you have right of way over them and they should adjust to what you're doing. As you become more confident the actual driving part driving will become second nature and you can concentrate more on general awareness to upcoming junctions/incidents/closures etc. If you can read the road well ahead it will be much easier to move over to the right when appropriate and know when to get back in the left lane with minimal issues.

I guess you don't have much time until your trip but it would be a good idea to do more practice and work up to a big motorway drive, start out on roads you know, try a main road, dual carriageway, quiet motorway etc. so you can build up confidence.

Also, four hours is a long time to be driving, especially as a new driver - make sure you take plenty of breaks!

Seriously.. All these questions makes me wonder how you even got your license. You shouldn't be on the road without an instructor. And get a better one than your last one.

In the UK you aren't allowed to drive on a motorway until you have passed your test I believe.

Having said that you are allowed on dual carriageways... and motorways are the same... just the effect of a lorry over taking another lorry aren't usually as irritating.

Most driving instructors I had experience with are crap though... first two came "highly recommended" by my sister :weep:

They were both shocking. My friend took an intensive course and recommended that guy.. I went with him and he was an awesome instructor. pretty much felt like I was cruising with a friend in the car most of the time, he just told me which routes to take and basically gave me a tour of the area :D

I was also really lucky that the day of my test it snowed. He assumed it would be called off, but as he'd booked the time with me anyway he gave me a free snow lesson instead, which has come in handy a few times :)

Anyway... I don't think he needs a better driving instructor, just more self confidence perhaps... but then over confidence can be as big an issue as a lack so :P

@Nuntendo I would recommend you try driving on a few dual carriage ways until you feel more comfortable on them. The main thing I would say on motorways is to know which exit you want to take - you don't want to find yourself stuck in an overtaking lane as you see the exit you wanted to take pass you by :D always be prepared! :P But yeah.. treat the motorway like a dual carriageway where cars can also pull in from your right when you are in the overtaking lane!

In the UK you aren't allowed to drive on a motorway until you have passed your test I believe.

Having said that you are allowed on dual carriageways... and motorways are the same... just the effect of a lorry over taking another lorry aren't usually as irritating.

Most driving instructors I had experience with are crap though... first two came "highly recommended" by my sister :weep:

They were both shocking. My friend took an intensive course and recommended that guy.. I went with him and he was an awesome instructor. pretty much felt like I was cruising with a friend in the car most of the time, he just told me which routes to take and basically gave me a tour of the area :D

I was also really lucky that the day of my test it snowed. He assumed it would be called off, but as he'd booked the time with me anyway he gave me a free snow lesson instead, which has come in handy a few times :)

Anyway... I don't think he needs a better driving instructor, just more self confidence perhaps... but then over confidence can be as big an issue as a lack so :P

@Nuntendo I would recommend you try driving on a few dual carriage ways until you feel more comfortable on them. The main thing I would say on motorways is to know which exit you want to take - you don't want to find yourself stuck in an overtaking lane as you see the exit you wanted to take pass you by :D always be prepared! :P But yeah.. treat the motorway like a dual carriageway where cars can also pull in from your right when you are in the overtaking lane!

Yeah, I mustv'e just misunderstood my driving instructor on that part.

I am quite a good driver but, yes, my self confidence can often be an encumberance to me.

I am quite confident on A roads now as I have driven on quite a few. I just haven't driven on a motorway since 2 months ago when I basically just got my car. So, I'm sure it wont be that bad this time (not that it was especially bad but you get what I mean). I'm just a bit nervous thats all.

Thanks everyone. I'll be setting off in a matter of hours!! :o:rolleyes::cool:

Eventually motorways go from scary to the most boring thing you can drive on.

Actually I remember being taught the same thing. I think because of the speed you're going at you shouldn't really be taking your eye off the road to look over your shoulder. At high speed you should be constantly updating your mirrors and a lane change should be taken in good time, so there's no need for a full over-shoulder check. On the motorway I typically keep a constant mental note of who's behind me in my mirrors, so I'm never surprised to find someone overtaking.

Generally you can use just mirrors when overtaking on the motorway as long as you were paying attention. Sometimes there is a question about other vehicles though.. say I'm in the third lane, I know the car I was overtaking in the second lane is well behind from me and I can safely pull in from that point of view, but I do tend to have a quick glance in my blind spot to make sure a vehicle in the first lane hasn't moved into the second lane... if that makes sense? As yet I've never needed to check the blindspot (the mirror checks were always enough) but I'd rather be safe than sorry, if an idiot is undertaking vehicles (or someone was put in a position where they were forced to undertake by a middle lane hogger going slower than the first lane traffic) I'd rather not find out with a high speed collision!

I have had a car change lanes into me in town once before... kinda shocked me at the time... I did a quick check and I was in lane... and they were still slightly over in mine.... it happened quickly so I don't know, but I suspect they were fiddling with their radio/air con and veered into my lane while doing so. Not nice at 20mph in traffic.. I can only imagine what it would be like at 70mph on a free flowing motorway.

Anyway.. hopefully Nuntendo is having fun on some motorway!

• 2 weeks later...

QFT. I do NOT understand how people do not get this, and fuck the motorways up so much.

There is no 'slow lane'. There is no 'fast lane'. There are just lanes.

Unless you are going faster than what is on your left, be on the left.

It really isn't any simple than that. I don't care what speed you're doing, limit, under, over, it doesn't matter. Unless you are going faster than what's on your left, be on the left.

Unless, as you mention, you're pulling over for slow entering traffic. Always be mindful of upcoming junctions/lanes/merges and account for that. Otherwise....well, I've already stated it a few times.

I often drive down a 50 A-road locally, and it's 3 lanes, and I cannot tell you how fucking unbelievably annoying it is seeing people drive down it, with the two right hand lanes chock of cars doing limit or less, and the left lane COMPLETELY empty. A friend of mine tends to be a terrible driver and takes the opportunity to completely(and illegally) undercut traffic. Same friend also likes to break the limit. The former should concern you, the latter should not.

Unless you are going faster than what's on your left, be on the left.

Don't understand why that isn't widely taught nor touting as the one simple fucking rule of motorways.

A potentially very bloody serious one at those speeds too!

Edited by Rummy

What do you mean? Not even with a driving instructor when you're taking lessons? If not, how do they teach you to drive in the UK? Even if you haven't driven on the motorway before, surely at least theory should teach you what lanes you should drive in.. How did he pass theory if he doesn't know basic stuff like that.

I have not touched a steering wheel after getting my driver's licence over 10 years ago. But at the time I was taking driving lessons, the motorway was the easy part. Just go fast, and no crossroads to deal with. Just overtake and be overtaken.

What do you mean? Not even with a driving instructor when you're taking lessons? If not, how do they teach you to drive in the UK?
You can drive on a dual carriageway at the national speed limit (70mph) but not a motorway (a few simple differences, usually 3 lanes, no crossing/right turn entrances)

So they just allow people on the motorway without testing if they're actually able to handle the motorway? That's fucked up. Here you don't get a driver's license if you can't drive on the motorway.

I can imagine it being scary if you've never been on it before, and then suddenly have to but without an instructor. It's actually easier than driving through the city, but it's also quite different. I'd take at least one of those motorway lessons, just to get a feel for it (again, here that would already be part of the driving lessons, but yeah).

You can drive on a dual carriageway at the national speed limit (70mph) but not a motorway (a few simple differences, usually 3 lanes, no crossing/right turn entrances)

It's different in Belgium (Netherlands too then I guess). I drove on the highway/motorway/whatever with my instructor and during my practical test as well. Speeds are up to 120km/h on those. I would never dare going on there for the first time without having an instructor with me, seems quite unsafe...

They test you on this as well as it is different from normal roads, you have to get the right speed (especially when going on it), stick to the right lane etc.

Personally I didn't really see a huge difference between a motorway and dual carriageway. an instructor should get you very confident on a dual carriageway, and once you can deal with a dual carriage way you have all the skills needed to cope with 3 or more lanes (leaving appropriate distances between your vehicle and others, braking distances, slip roads etc).

Motorway driving is a piece of piss really. It's the automotive equivalent of colouring in the lines. Stay in your lane and try not to plow into the car in front. Not really rocket science.

My instructor took me on a duel carriageway during my lessons and I really can't see the difference between that and a motorway, other than an extra lane.

I can see why motorways can seem intimidating, but once you get used to them, they really are the easiest, most boring part of driving. It genuinely boggles my mind how anyone can crash on them when the weather is clear/without any sort of mechanical failure.