NEurope
Shorty

House buying is the worst

Good day :D Finally managed to get ahold of the estate agent, found out there's no upwards chain, the vendors are moving into a house which is empty. Although it's not moving along as quickly as I'd like, I could be moved within a month or so at this rate. Spurred me on to start looking more seriously at motorbikes, found one I really want and I'm going to look at it it in the morning!

Talking of which i'm STILL WAITING ON MY HOUSE. Its week fecking 12 with the solicitors. They say its been with Land Registry for just over 2 weeks now, but what the heck were they doing prior to that ???

These things are supposed to take 6-8 weeks! My sisters took 3! Especially given that the house i'm buying was not that long ago sold to her, that should make it even easier... but of course someone didn't play by the books in that transaction :blank:

Edited by Ashley
removed off-topic discussion following thrip

House buying is the worst. Ours took about 6 months to buy, and 6 months later we're still trying to set up the service charge (streets are MOD land/maintained). We've finally paid what we owe for last year, but we still need to transfer the account to us so we can pay this year's via direct debit.

Fuck houses.

Speaking of houses, we went for our first viewing today.

£250,000 asking price at least and it needed a fuuuuuuck load of work doing to it. About 30 grand worth of work. At least. The bathroom was a mess, the garden was just....wut. I have no idea what the previous owners were trying to do there, but it didn't look nice. Gardening, not even once.:heh:

It's simultaneously the most exciting but also blaaaarugh thing ever. The prices are just insane. Also, the whole process. If only buying a house were just as easy as buying a car. Or chocolate.

£250,000 asking price at least and it needed a fuuuuuuck load of work doing to it. About 30 grand worth of work. At least. The bathroom was a mess, the garden was just....wut. I have no idea what the previous owners were trying to do there, but it didn't look nice. Gardening, not even once.:heh:

It's simultaneously the most exciting but also blaaaarugh thing ever. The prices are just insane. Also, the whole process. If only buying a house were just as easy as buying a car. Or chocolate.

I've lived in two houses (previous and current) as we've done them up and it isn't toooo bad. As long as you explain to everyone as they walk through the door that your house is a project then it's all cool.

(Or pack your bags and move north where £250000 will get you a mansion.)

Man, the house I could get around here for 250k.... Dunno why anyone would live in London, honestly.

My long term dream now is basically to live in an average corner of my city for a few years, saving up money, paying off my mortgage, and then putting that down on a house back in the area I live in now.

Considering buying a house with a mate as a 2 bed house will set you back the best part of £300k here and there's no way I'd be able to afford that on my own. In Nottingham I was looking at three bed semis for under £150k. Here a 1 bed flat is £200k. :(

Man, the house I could get around here for 250k.... Dunno why anyone would live in London, honestly.

My long term dream now is basically to live in an average corner of my city for a few years, saving up money, paying off my mortgage, and then putting that down on a house back in the area I live in now.

Mate, you couldn't buy a shoebox in London for that.

(Or pack your bags and move north where £250000 will get you a mansion.)

Would be lovely. Can you find us jobs first though? :P

Also, I think my family would hate me if I moved even further away from them! Unless there is an airport nearby with cheap flights to Belgium (unlikely). :(

The whole house hunting thing is very daunting. We are speaking to a mortgage broker this week to see what our options are. Worried that we won't be able to borrow enough (even though we have a pretty big deposit)... Wish it wasn't so expensive, and for all that money you end up paying for it, the houses here usually aren't even nice or big or new!

I've been looking at houses and flats recently too. Up in Glasgow £250k could get you a massive house a few miles from the city centre or west end. Or, get you a really nice 2-3 bed flat in the west end.

Would be lovely. Can you find us jobs first though? :P

Also, I think my family would hate me if I moved even further away from them! Unless there is an airport nearby with cheap flights to Belgium (unlikely). :(

The whole house hunting thing is very daunting. We are speaking to a mortgage broker this week to see what our options are. Worried that we won't be able to borrow enough (even though we have a pretty big deposit)... Wish it wasn't so expensive, and for all that money you end up paying for it, the houses here usually aren't even nice or big or new!

You can fly with Ryanair from Manchester to Brussels and back for £34 each. :)

I'm being facetious, but still, house prices down south always shock me. Three bedroomed houses seem to top out at about £200K around here, and that's for a decent sized house.

Jeeeesus..... I live in a town in northern ireland. You would literally have your pick of any house (4 bed or less) in Ballymena for 250k. I'm paying 70k for a good sized 2 bed bungalow (well 1 + a tiny bed) and a garden. In a good area.

120 would get you most "family homes" here. My sister paid 105 for hers, 3 bed, huge kitchen, garage and good garden.

My mum and dad requested to be posted to northern ireland for that very reason

We lucked out and got our 3 bedroom house for £135k. If we were to pick any other village in the area and we'd be looking at triple that. We'd struggle to get a 1 bedroom flat for what we paid. Still can't figure out why our village is so cheap. Probably because it's ex MOD housing, but they're good, big houses and it's a great area in terms of community and lack of crime etc. Pretty God damn scenic too.

I'm now planning on buying a house in @Goafer's village. Originally travel to where I work was going to be a problem but I just figure I'll get him to give me a lift to and from work every day,

Actually no, sorry. I checked a set list, and apparently it wasn't Mountains. Sorry brah.

Still, it was a bit like that. So, you're kind of good, no?

Haha, no worries. Still excited. :D

70k for a house, @Raining_again?! Not going to happen, at least not for hundreds of miles where I currently am.

In general, it's depressing how over-valued the houses are here. Some of the shit we've seen for this price range is just...no thanks. Hoping we get something that can be worked with for a reasonable price.

Sometimes it really is a matter of getting lucky. I've seen 3 bed houses go here for 40k, in good enough nick, but is highly possible you'd get knifed if you went out at night lol

Sometimes it really is a matter of getting lucky. I've seen 3 bed houses go here for 40k, in good enough nick, but is highly possible you'd get knifed if you went out at night lol

Maybe a 'house buying woes' thrip is in order?

Expecting to hear back from my mortgage broker at some point today, quite excited with what he has to say.

Edited by Ashley
removed off-topic discussion following thrip

Maybe a 'house buying woes' thrip is in order?

Expecting to hear back from my mortgage broker at some point today, quite excited with what he has to say.

-----

I went to see Muse last night at The Hydro. Their performance was excellent and lightshow was incredible but it just felt a bit... boring. Maybe its because I was seated so far back but we could've just been listening to the CD with a fancy light show. What I love most about gigs is the interaction with the audience, hear people sing along and really get into it but there was none of that. Matt Bellamy said "alright, Glasgow!" about 5 times and that was it. THere was nothing else at all.

A house buying thread/thrip would be awesome!

Have you had an appt for a mortgage yet?

Talking of mortgages, mines due to expire in early july and THEYVE STILL NOT SORTED IT OUT YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTT

:blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank:

Are you ringing the solicitor a lot? You need to get on their backs, become an annoyance to them. They won't progress things at a remotely reasonable rate unless you push them, I read this everywhere.

A house buying thread/thrip would be awesome!

Have you had an appt for a mortgage yet?

Yeah he phoned me back and told me the amount that I could borrow was closer to half a million than 250k. Safe to say I will not be borrowing that much as the monthly repayments would be insanely high. I need to send him back a fair bit of information to get things moving. As I'm not looking to buy for a year I'm just holding off for the moment as he can't go for a decision in principle until just before that.

I ain't ever owning property in this country.

*looks at south of Italy again*

*sighs*

Are you ringing the solicitor a lot? You need to get on their backs, become an annoyance to them. They won't progress things at a remotely reasonable rate unless you push them, I read this everywhere.

I agree, being a lawyer myself :D

The solicitor will have lots of clients so will inevitably prioritise those with deadlines or client pressure.

To be fair to conveyancing solicitors (im not one of them, I deal with litigation) is that they have to wait ages to hear back from searches and surveys. Delays are also caused by waiting on the other side to also respond to enquiries/amends etc.

I've been looking at property for a similar price range around here too lately, and it's just ridiculous how little we can get compared to if we lived elsewhere.

Still, I love Bournemouth. Never going to leave

Yeah I've been hassling him a lot, and the agent has been great too, they've been hassling the vendors solicitor too. Someone fucked up somewhere though

Yeah he phoned me back and told me the amount that I could borrow was closer to half a million than 250k. Safe to say I will not be borrowing that much as the monthly repayments would be insanely high. I need to send him back a fair bit of information to get things moving. As I'm not looking to buy for a year I'm just holding off for the moment as he can't go for a decision in principle until just before that.

Ahh flip thats crazy, half a mil in mortgage terms, jesus. And if you didnt have a fixed rate and rates went up you would be crippled. Like you would have to quite literally sell a leg to pay the mortgage lol :woops:

I got a phone call today, apparently the Land Registry have acknowledged the recpt of the application. Which means shit all. Gaaaaah