NEurope
Happenstance

N-Europe GOTY 2015

GOTY lists are starting to emerge on the Internet this week so I figured it was time for us to start thinking about our lists.

Its been a great year of gaming for me so I'm gonna have no problem filling the whole 10. I just need to figure out their order now!

GOTY lists are starting to emerge on the Internet this week so I figured it was time for us to start thinking about our lists.

Its been a great year of gaming for me so I'm gonna have no problem filling the whole 10. I just need to figure out their order now!

Can we do Best Game, Runner Up, Worst Game and Most Disappointing Game?

Is it just games released this year? Or any games we've played this year?

Not sure I have either! Splatoon and Destiny:TTK would definitely have to be in there for me though. Mostly because those are the only games I've played? Mario Maker hasn't cut it for me, and nothing else springs to my mind right now as being this year. Only other thing I can think of having played would maybe be MM3DS, but that's not worthy of a GOTY entry for me given its being a remake. Can't put a shout for Witcher yet really, as I don't think I could say I've played it enough(I know Flink, I know).

Can't we do our top 5 and then do points rankings? (1 for 5th, 2 for 4th, 3 for 3rd, 4 for 2nd and 5 for 1st?)

Just picking the one game isn't really very representative, since many people might pick the same game as their 2nd favourite (making it the overall winner).

Personally, I wouldn't mind going the whole hog and choosing 10 games, but if people would prefer to do just 5, that's fine by me!

To be honest this isnt going to be tallied up or anything so people can make whatever lists they want! I tend to just do games released in this year but that doesnt mean we all have to.

I think maybe we try and do a 2015 list each and then whatever other lists we want?

Can't we do our top 5 and then do points rankings? (1 for 5th, 2 for 4th, 3 for 3rd, 4 for 2nd and 5 for 1st?)

Just picking the one game isn't really very representative, since many people might pick the same game as their 2nd favourite (making it the overall winner).

Personally, I wouldn't mind going the whole hog and choosing 10 games, but if people would prefer to do just 5, that's fine by me!

1. The Witcher 3

2. The Witcher 3

3. The Witcher 3

4. The Witcher 3

5. Destiny: The Taken King

So that's 1 point for Destiny and 14 for The Witcher 3.

These are the only two games I have played that were released in 2015...

Been looking forward to this.

My list is ready to go, but I'll wait until I'm not using a phone.

1. The Witcher 3

2. The Witcher 3

3. The Witcher 3

4. The Witcher 3

5. Destiny: The Taken King

So that's 1 point for Destiny and 14 for The Witcher 3.

These are the only two games I have played that were released in 2015...

Did you not play Bloodborne? Second best game I've played this year.

This year has been awesome. The Witcher 3 (+DLC), Bloodborne, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, Rocket League, The Order 1886, White Night, OlliOlli2, Cities Skylines, Batman: Arkham Knight, Geometry Wars 3, Journey on PS4 and Until Dawn are some of most memorable games of this year.

There's also tons that have been released that I've not played yet. Grim Fandango Remastered and Hotline Miami 2 are two that I'm looking for cheap on PSN. Life is Strange looks fantastic. MGS:V and Fallout 4 are new entries in series' that I've never tried before. Star Wars Battlefront is one I should hopefully be playing soon. Then, there's Mortal Kombat X, Tearaway Unfolded, Just Cause 3, Dying Light and Helldivers.

Definitely one of my favourite years for gaming. The Witcher 3 is definitely my favourite game of the year and definitely my favourite game of all time. Bloodborne and Everybody's Gone To The Rapture take second and third spot. Rocket League to be there in my top five.

It certainly has been a great year for gaming, my top 10 games for this year are as

1. The Witcher 3
  2. The Order 1886
  3. Bloodborne
  4. Yoshi's Wooly World
  5. Batman: Arkham Knight
  6. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
  7. Journey
  8. Metal Gear Solid V
  9. Destiny: The Taken King
  10. Grim Fandango

My Game of the Year is thus:

1. Just Cause 3

2. Star Wars Battlefront

1. Splatoon

2. Fallout 4

3. Yoshi's Woolly World

4. The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

5. Super Mario Maker

6. Rocket League

7. Grim Fandango: Remastered

8. Prison Architect

9. Cities: Skylines

Personally, I haven't really felt like I've missed out on much this year.

I need to see more lists to remember what iv played! Its been a hit and miss year for me, I went back to my PC in the summer and had a few months of FFXI again and didn't touch my PS4 for a good amount of time. I think people could tell by my posts that I wasn't enjoying gaming as everything I tried just wasn't to my taste!

Then I got Fallout 4 and was on it solid until FF7 came out (again) and I'm in the process of platinuming that! I'll have to go back and check what actually came out this year!

I've not cleared my backlog which consists of The Witcher, Bloodborne, Tearaway and Batman so I can't vote for them...

Still, even with me not having played them, I'm not 100% certain they'd have knocked this bad-boy off the top of the list:

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

If we're to do a list of games we've played I can only do the following:

1. MH4U

2. CoD BO3

3. Battlefront

4. Splatoon

Although I imagine if I had played the games in my backlog it'd be a different list (which is a bit unfair on those games).

I'll just... make a Top 10 with games I played this year:

1. Teslagrad (2013)

2. Sonic CD (1993)

3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991)

4. The Whispered World (2009)

5. Rogue Legacy (2013)

6. Camera Obscura (2015)

7. Out There Somewhere (2014)

8. Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator (1999)

9. Plants vs Zombies (2009)

10. Kirby's Dream Course (1994)

Honourable mentions to Hitman Contracts (2004), BEEP (2011), Kuru Kuru Kururin (2001) and Back to the Future (2011).

So there you have it, my game of the year 2015 is Camera Obscura. The most obscure (har) game on the list, no doubt.

My actual game of the year is Teslagrad, a very well crafted Metroidvania.

My top 10 of 2015 are:

1. THE WITCHER 3

Fucking incredible game that just has everything. Best storytelling, best narrative, best dialogue and best set of characters that I've ever seen in a game. It's huge, yet has the most intricate and detailed open world there is. Highly recommended.

2. Bloodborne

Hated this for the first five or six hours. Maybe even more than that. It was shit. I kept dying over and over and it didn't click. Somehow, it all ended up fitting into place. One of my finest gaming experiences ever and this alone makes the purchase of a PS4 worth it, imo.

3. Everybody's Gone To The Rapture

Heart-breaking story, beautifully told and with another fine set of characters. A really good game that often has you doing very little except just sitting back and putting the pieces of the story together like a puzzle. I thought that this was a beautiful game. Can't wait for more from this studio.

4. Rocket League

Awesome fun in multiplayer. It's really good in split-screen and it's even better when you add Spotify into the mix. I'm glad to see that there's DLC, such as the mutator options, additional stages and more cars to give this game even more replayability.

5. The Order 1886

Fuck the haters. There's a great game here, even if it isn't a sprawling 50 hour adventure. I actually think that the pace and length is just right for a game of this type. Any longer and it might have felt a bit repetitive and too confined? It's definitely one of the most beautiful games that I've ever played and it can be bought now for cheap.

6. Journey on PS4

I finally got to play this game and it was certainly worth the wait. Gorgeous world and such a fantastic experience to spend this Journey (haha) alongside an unknown human player...or several over the course of the game. There's an excellent message that's hidden within this about the cycle of life and death, but also how we must take care of our own world, ourselves and others.

7. Batman: Arkham Knight

Fantastic yet frustrating experience. About 95% of this awesome is awesome and the best in the series, yet I can't help but feel that the 5% extra shit should have been scrapped. The batmobile/tank bits, for example. They are annoying and actually detract from the rest of the game, which is excellent. The narrative is fantastic as is the plot and dialogue. It should be higher on my list. I'm hoping a second playthrough may change my perspective a little bit and it may seem easier to digest in future.

8. Until Dawn

Excellent TellTale style game that also includes an interesting backstory and a chilling setting. I had a great time with this and maybe another run-through will see it climb higher in this table! I'm already thinking about how I could play this game differently next time.

9. White Night

Awesome little game that proves to be really intense at times. It's not everyday that you get to play a survival horror game of this type and it certainly is more mysterious thanks to the visuals. There are a few small annoying bits, such as some of the puzzles towards the end or a section where you have multiple ghosts in a small area, making it difficult to navigate through. But, the backstory is excellent, as is the "twist" at the end. I enjoyed this a lot! :)

10. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions

Bluddy awesome game that I should perhaps play a bit more of. It's very challenging at times, but still great fun. There are moments where you feel invincible and yet times where you feel that the game is doing everything it can to piss you off. It's definitely well worth the money and it's trippy as hell to look at and listen to.

I’ve actually managed to play and finish up a fair amount this year but quite a bit of that lot has come from games released last year. However, I’ve played enough games from 2015 to put together a top 10 without much trouble so let’s begin.

I’ll start by saying that both Bloodborne and Just Cause 3 miss out on the top 10. The former does so because with the time I played it, it didn’t click with me. Objectively, it nails the gameplay aspect, asking you to think and strategize encounters and not simply button mash. It’s something that I keep thinking of going back to as I was slowly starting to come round to it, perhaps somewhere down the line I will. The latter game loses out because while brilliant fun, those load times kill it, enough so that it misses out on a spot.

White Night

Not your traditional horror game but definitely plays like one from back in the day, it’s the presentation of this that really brings it up to tenth. Gameplay wise, it can be quite frustrating at times and may not hold up well comparatively to other games in my top 10 but the journey through it was intriguing and one that I’m glad that I experienced. As stated, the presentation was great and I loved the aesthetic and use of jazz style music. As a first title from Osmos, it was pretty good.

Tearaway Unfolded

I don’t have a Vita but when this was unveiled a few years back, I loved the look of it and really wanted to try. Luckily, it being released on the PS4 gave me that chance. This could be considered another case of style over substance but overall, I really enjoyed the game even if it slumped a little towards the end. Aesthetically, the paper visuals looked incredible and were so well done and the way the gameplay played with the look for puzzles and such was just brilliant.

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture

I perhaps didn’t play this at the right time, having just finished up The Vanishing of Ethan Carter before it but having had time to dip my toes back in a bit after finishing and thinking over it, the brilliance of the game became apparent and so it makes my list at 8. Slow meandering aside, I thought the experience of going around a small English town and countryside where there was no one about fascinating and rather chilling. They set the atmosphere perfectly and having the overarching story, as well as those little personal one’s going on in the background, slowly revealed as you pieced things together was again just brilliant. Looking forward to another run through in the new year.

Journey

This one feels slightly like a cop-out. However, a release is still a release even if it is a re-release and this was the first time I got to sit down and play the game fully on the PS4. I was already familiar with the soundtrack from having heard and listened to it at work but getting to sit down and play the game, with that and the visuals, was a beautiful experience. Throw in the drop-in/out coop and how you become attached to your silent partner, especially when they go missing after journeying with them for so long, and you get an incredible experience. Well worth the wait to play.

Mad Max

On release day, it was either this or MGS V. I’ve never played any of the latter titles so went with this and I’m glad I did. I’ve not seen any of the films but I immediately got caught up in the world that Avalanche Studios created. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a more beautiful desert than in this game, there’s just always something interesting to find and when those sandstorms hit, the lighting really is unbelievably good. Gameplay wise, I’ve taken to likening it to The Saboteur (if anyone remembers that brilliant little game from Pandemic); a mix of Batman Arkham, Assassin’s Creed and Shadow of Mordor. It plays extremely well but the driving is where it really shines and building up your Magnum Opus and smashing Scrotus’ henchmen with it is brilliant fun. Definitely recommend for those looking for something in the new year.

Rocket League

Well this one came out of nowhere but quickly became one of my most played PS4 games and is still played now, on and off (I had to buy the Deloreon car for it). Such a simple premise but one that is instantly enjoyable and simple to get to grips with but difficult to master if you want to go for some of the more technical aerial/flying moves. Definitely something that should be on everyone’s PS4.

The Talos Principle

Although released last year on the PC, it only finally got a console release back in October and brought with it the Road to Gehenna DLC. The wait was worth it though and loved every second of it. The puzzles present a great balance between straight forward and real brain testers and the addition of different items as you go through it adds not only to the complexities but also the ways in which you can solve them. The philosophical narrative may not necessarily be needed but I thought it gave a very interesting and thought provoking world within which to solve things and it does draw you in without beating you over the head with it.

Fallout 4

Sorting out the top 3 was very difficult but I settled on this for third because although it’s still very much early days, I’m not getting the same kind of narrative encapsulation that I did with the next two games. That being said though, the game is brilliant and brings a huge amount of depth to it. It’s a game that I’m constantly wanting to go back to at the moment to explore new areas and see what happens when I get there or along the route and after 24 hours of play, I can see myself sinking in far more just to see as much as Boston has to offer.

Life Is Strange

I went into this rather tentatively in January, not knowing what to expect. But I trumped up the money for the season pass off of the bat and thought I’d give it a go and see how it works out in the long run. And ultimately, I’m very glad I did. I loved what Dontnod created, with some superb characters and some truly heartwrenching moments. There were some moments that could have been brought forward and a little less padding in episodes 2 and 3 could have benefitted it but in the end, those things didn’t really matter to me at least. It’s one of the freshest game experiences I’ve ever played and I’ve already committed myself to another playthrough come January with the Collector’s Edition. Wholeheartedly recommend it.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I was torn between this and Life Is Strange but when it came down to it, what this gave me in terms of narrative, gameplay and everything else was just on a completely different level entirely. The amount of attention to detail that went into everything is astonishing and the quality of the narrative, be that the main one or the smaller quests that you pick up on, is unreal. The world they built with the game is also just on another level. Its looks incredible, and I constantly found myself wanting to explore more and see everything, and the soundtrack, as well as the ambient sounds, are exquisite. It’s not just my game of 2015 but also one of my favourite of all time.

And there we have it, my top ten. Some additional nods have to go to some smaller titles I played this year, some of which were from last year. These all brought with them great moments and in the case of the first 4, have become some of my favourite games ever.

Guacamelee!

Valiant Hearts

Never Alone

Thomas Was Alone

Axiom Verge

Volume

Personally I would place Bloodborne over Witcher 3. Witcher 3 was amazing but I think one of its weaker areas was its combat and difficulty. The combat was pretty repetitive and easy and didn't feel that refined (the same couple of moves over and over easily got me through). Putting the game on hard mode actually just made the game more annoying rather than difficult - stuff breaking all the time, for instance. Then there was also the fact that, as a high level, random items found in treasure were usually always of a lower level or just complete junk. Crafting was really the only way. Saying that, the storytelling and world building was phenomenal.

Bloodborne was just bliss start to finish. Gameplay heaven with an awesome atmosphere.

I wish I could get over the doubts I have over The Witcher 3 due to hating the second one.

Ok then, here's my top 10 games of 2015:

10. Mortal Kombat X

I didn't think the story in X was as good as 9 but it was still a damn good fighting game. New characters for the most part were pretty good.

9. Super Mario Maker

I was hoping Mario Maker would grab me more than it did. I only ended up making a handful of levels and then just spending my time playing other people's creations. Better community tools for sharing levels etc and I probably would have placed this a bit higher.

8. Fallout 4

Kind of surprised that I'm putting this at number 8. When I finally gave them a chance I absolutely loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas and was expecting to love 4 just as much. It still feels like a solid game but I haven't played it in a couple of weeks and just haven't felt that urge to keep playing. I plan to complete it eventually and knowing me, I'll still end up loving it but I think being able to go this long without needing to come back says something.

7. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

The Chinese Room did an amazing job capturing the feel of an English village in this game. Its not a horror or even scary game but the atmosphere in it had me tense throughout a lot of the game. The stories you followed with the villagers lives also just added to the feel that this was a real place. Its also one of those games where whats actually going on is basically left up to the person playing and I tend to love those, along with the discussion and theories that come afterwards.

6. Kerbal Space Program

I haven't actually played too much of the final release of Kerbal but I have easily played enough of the pre-release stuff to know that I love this game and it deserves its spot on my list. So much fun!

5. Batman: Arkham Knight

Its a shame that the Batmobile felt so shoehorned into this game otherwise its another one that probably would have been higher on my list. The actual Batman parts though, along with the story managed to make up for it.

4. Life is Strange

This game just seemed to come out of nowhere and really impress me. Great story and writing, interesting world and some damn touch decisions they made me make!

3. Rocket League

Just pure fun. Not much else I need to say really.

2. Metal Gear Solid V

I have never been any good at stealth games but I think MGSV was the first time that everything clicked. Kojima finally got the controls and options for you down to the point where I could feel like a stealthy badass. I would spend ages scouting a base, working out my plan of attack and actually being able to then do everything I wanted to. This game was pretty much the best gameplay experience I had all year. The only things that let this game down, and probably kept it from being my number one was the fact that the story felt very lacklustre. Kojima either seems to have games which are these epic stories with stupidly long cutscenes or amazing gameplay and worlds but the story was barely there. If he had managed to strike a balance between the two then this would most likely have been one of my favourite games of all time. The other problem of course was Kiefer Sutherland's Snake and how he basically turned into a silent protagonist for way too much of the game.

1. The Witcher 3

The Witcher 3 struck a great balance between intriguing story/characters and enjoyable gameplay/rpg elements. It was a living world where I was constantly interested to see what I came across next. The memory of playing through the Bloody Baron storyline will stick with me for a long time.

Edited by Happenstance