N-Europe

Happy Back to the Future Day!

flameboy

Unless I completely missed it I couldn't see a thread. So welcome the future guys, hows it going? I'm celebrating by going to a Back to the Future Marathon and cannot wait!

There's a bunch of stuff out there on the internet from the Pepsi Perfect debacle to endless memes...

Even Waterloo station got in on the act:

CR1ieNHVEAEwFcs.jpg

and countless articles:

http://newsthump.com/2015/10/21/everything-is-shit-because-we-live-in-marty-mcflys-dystopian-alternative-timeline/

Share your favourites here!

I think the 3rd one might be my favourite. Is that wrong?

Hmmm see I flipflop with this one, as a kid I hated it. Much like Gale and Zemerkis I've always thought time travel would be fascinating to be able to go back and see your parents when they were younger see what they grew up in and how they become what they are etc... so the first movie was incredible Back to the Future 2's vision of the future was incredible as a child and I got a real bang out of the alternate 1984 because of the all the time travel shenanigans that were going on. Back to the Future 3 by comparison felt dull and a step too far removed...I understand why they went that far back to show the creation of Hill Valley etc... It didn't have all the characters I'd grown to love and the descendants in some instances felt too far removed.

Now as an adult I can accept it for what it is...a genre piece. It was obviously an homage to the Wild West genre with it's own unique twists related to the time travel. I also think it brings so much full circle with regards to Doc and Martys relationship, their own character development and so much more. It has a bunch of neat touches that you only pick up on after countless viewings and the ending is still extremely poignant. Gale and Zemerkis also have always said traveling to the future never interested them in the least bit so this seems to go further down that rabbit hole of where we come from. Marty saw the birth of his parents and his immediate family in Back to the Future and saw the creation of his hometown in Back to the Future 3.

It's been a very topsy turvy week. My friend (a huuuuge Back to the Future fan) suggested to me about a week ago that we should see 1 and 2 in the cinema as they were doing a double bill in central Bournemouth. I thought that would be cool, but we should see all three somewhere if we could. I found out that Empire Cinema do it, so we looked at that but she didn't like how expensive it was. (£15, which is good, but she's a poor student)

I got her to agree on Saturday...but...I then realised that I was actually working that day and had completely forgotten about it. I would be covering for somebody in the Nursery and there didn't seem to be anybody to swap with as the usual person would be away and a potential person would be on holiday. So, that was it. October ruined. Foul mood for the rest of the weekend.

I went into work today and my boss offered to swap with me as she understood it was a big deal to see this on this particular day. I also found out that she's a closet Back to the Future fan. So, she offered to fill in for the final hour and a half, giving me enough time to get back home and get to the cinema on time. Had I completely my shift fully, I would be leaving work as the film started.

Got home, ate, showered, collected Ine, picked up friend and just narrowly made it to the cinema in time for the start. It was immense. We were in the Studio, so there's only about 5 rows. Can only seat 50 or something, so it's small and intimate. The films were brilliant and it was insane seeing them all on the big screen in one go.

I have a huge soft spot for the third film. It seems to be the one people know about the least, but I really like it. I don't actually know which is my favourite anymore. I thought it was 2 for sure, but now I'm not so sure!

Best part of today: Learning that my boss is a hero, but also that Empire apparently serve tea at the cinema! Having a cuppa and watching Part III was just...soooo good. :D

Happy Back to the Future Day!