Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Yooka-Laylee

Wii

No way will YL come out in April on Switch. They only made the decision to... switch (HUHHUHHUH!) from Wii U a few months back and they're only a small team. How are they supposed to magic out a completed Switch version so fast?

I'd bet on a September-October release at best (more realistically November-December), perhaps with some minor exclusive content to make up for the delay.

They only publicly announced they were no longer releasing the Wii U version then. We don't know how long they were working on the switch version prior to that - or have they categorically stated they only began working on it in late 2016?? With Nintendo bringing out MK8 Deluxe, BotW and basically splatoon from Wii U bases, I imagine they would be able to make the process simple enough. It may be part of the reason the Wii U variant was dropped, to allow them to spend enough time on the Switch version in time for launch.

We don't know how long they were working on the switch version prior to that - or have they categorically stated they only began working on it in late 2016??

So far, they've only said that they're "looking into" a Switch version. It hasn't actually been 100% confirmed yet.

So far, they've only said that they're "looking into" a Switch version. It hasn't actually been 100% confirmed yet.

That might have been them being unsure how quickly and well they could bring it over to switch. The assets etc. for Wii U version can presumably be used as is, amiibo support should be feasible (if they are interested in that route).

If they are using Unity that should simplify the port hugely, though having never developed on Unity I don't know if there are console specific changes they may still have to make themselves, I suppose it is feasible that there are programming tricks that work well in unity for the Wii U but work less well on the Switch... also optimising battery life etc could now be a factor to complicate things.

We can however confirm the exciting news that we are now working very closely with Nintendo to look to bring Yooka-Laylee to the upcoming Nintendo Switch. We’re looking forward to exploring the opportunity and will have more details to share early next year.

All Wii U backers can move their pledge free-of-charge to any of the versions launching on April 11th (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Mac or Linux) or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when we announce further details in 2017.

If they are working "Very closely" with Nintendo I imagine it would be very feasible it will come out on launch. It is in Nintendo's interests to push this in April, it would fit in beautifully between Zelda and MK8, if they announce full Amiibo support for example as well, the Switch version could well be the definitive version. It would fill the release schedule really nicely in March and April to have 3rd March Zelda, 11th April Yooka-laylee, 28th April MK8 Deluxe...

finally on the April 11th argument side...

In December 2016, Playtonic Games confirmed the game will be available both digitally and at retail worldwide on 11 April 2017 for all platforms. Those who pre-order the game will gain access to the Toybox, which Playtonic is working to make available on the console platforms. In the same update, it was confirmed the Wii U version has been cancelled, and development duties were moved to the Nintendo Switch

While they didn't state 11th April for Switch, reading between the lines.... they kinda did....

No way will YL come out in April on Switch. They only made the decision to... switch (HUHHUHHUH!) from Wii U a few months back and they're only a small team. How are they supposed to magic out a completed Switch version so fast?

I'd bet on a September-October release at best (more realistically November-December), perhaps with some minor exclusive content to make up for the delay.

Well we don't know how long really, could be longer, but not just that, if the game is as easy to port as people say, why not?

Just seen @Pestneb has said the same as me. I think it could easily be out at launch or close to!

Could just be poorly phrased, but "working on" doesn't guarantee release, it could just mean they're "working on trying to bring it to the console".

I know that thought may bring Sadness to some though.

(although I imagine it's a pretty safe bet)

Could just be poorly phrased, but "working on" doesn't guarantee release, it could just mean they're "working on trying to bring it to the console".

I know that thought may bring Sadness to some though.

(although I imagine it's a pretty safe bet)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm sorry, I thought you always liked things to be logical?

They have not said the game is releasing on Switch. They have said they are working on it for Switch. There can be a difference.

I do not doubt it will come to Switch, I was just pointing out they haven't confirmed it's release.

In the last few months of development I doubt they're going to prioritise a new piece of hardware even if it is relatively easy to port to (I wonder if Nintendo is giving them tips on porting Wii U games...) and probably their 'ideal' hardware. From a QA POV it's russian roulette.

Ha! I was just thinking that's a rather gaping hole in the logic there - jumping to conclusions without fair evidence!

I do think it'll come to the Switch eventually nonetheless, though not on its own release date. Regardless I was happy/planning to get this on Switch if I got a Switch, but they've put me off so much that I think this'll end up being a PS4 purchase for me instead. Bit of a shame as it doesn't help support for the system etc, but I still can't justify it.

If there was still any doubt

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/posts/1795150

Very soon we will unlock BackerKit surveys and allow you to make final adjustments to your game platform including Nintendo Switch, plus the opportunity to upgrade to a physical version for PS4 and XB1. Wii U backers affected by our recent announcement can also request a refund.
We continue to work closely with Nintendo on plans for a Nintendo Switch version of Yooka-Laylee and more details will be revealed in the future. We’d like to thank our many Nintendo fans for their continued patience and understanding while we form our plans: we hope to make your platform of choice a great place to experience Yooka-Laylee in the future!

Note: Upon release, the Switch version will be delivered to backers via digital game codes and thus no additional upgrade cost is required.

No physical version on the cards right now then I see...

Bit of a shame, but I suppose there are additional costs and logistical issues involved with the Switch game cards that they don't know how to solve yet. Hopefully they'll be able to offer it in the future.

Great to see that they've gone gold already! Hope they get a well earned rest :D

BTW: calling it now, Tantalus will be the ones porting it to Switch.

Edited by Dcubed

Which option are other people picking?

Steam + ToyBox Plus

PS4 or Xbox One

Switch

Refund

Still weird they're not being very definitive about releasing it on the Switch. Are they doing it or not? Are they trying to see if the numbers who select it will be enough to justify the port?

Steam + ToyBox Plus

PS4 or Xbox One

Switch

Refund

Still weird they're not being very definitive about releasing it on the Switch. Are they doing it or not? Are they trying to see if the numbers who select it will be enough to justify the port?

Eh? That seems pretty definitive to me. They outright said that people who backed it for the Wii U version can switch to the Switch version at no extra charge or have a refund; so obviously it's in the works for Switch. The only thing they haven't said is when the Switch version is coming out (which is perfectly understandable).

I'm getting the Switch version as part of the Kickstarter (pledged £65, so I've already got the Toybox+ on Steam), but I might also buy it on Steam as well, depending on how long we have to wait for the Switch version.

I'd rather play it on Switch than anything else, but I also don't really want to wait an eternity either.

Edited by Dcubed

I didn't back it but I'll be getting the PS4 version most likely(physical if I can). Also agree that the above phrasing is still a bit flakey! 'plans for a Nintendo Switch version' does not mean there WILL be one, does it?

Regardless of the Nintendo side of things though I am incredibly excited for what this might bring. Not this game so much per se, but if this takes of and Playtonic get a real good kickstart out of it it may be the beginning of a whole fantastic universe for us to experience, with all the qualities of their greats from our childhood with the added benefit of modern possibilities!! I really hope Playtonic become something great in the industry!

I'll be switching my backing without a doubt. I can wait a little bit for the version.

Steam + ToyBox Plus

PS4 or Xbox One

Switch

Refund

They are doing it. That's why they're giving people the option to switch theirs to the Switch. The statement about bringing more information about it is obviously about its launch, not its existence.