Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

What was the point of the "Other NX" thread again?

I'd put down a pre-order for PSVR if, you know, there were actually any decent games whatsoever for it. I'm certainly not shelling out £350 for 10 minute "experiences" that'll get old after a few days. When VR has grown up, that's when I'll dive in. I know at least three mates who think the same, and they're all really excited for NX.

Nintendo's first party big guns have been quiet for so long I can't wait to see what they've been cooking up the past couple of years. When they do eventually reveal the NX it should be pretty fantastic, fingers crossed.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the point of the "Other NX" thread again?

To not have discussions ruined by certain posts.

And I have no idea why you ask this as these past few posts only explain the choices of some people here. Nothing else. ::shrug:

After the abysmal WiiU generation, with only 3 or so games I actually played for any real amount of time, I'm out - hopefully not for good, but who knows.

That's the situation I'm in. I really hope Nintendo can change my mind. I want the NX to be great, but their WiiU generation makes me worry.

Edited by drahkon

Thing is, Nintendo games typically have a crazy high attach rate, far more than any other system so whilst a subscription service might make sense on PS4 and XBO, when you sell 6 million copies of MK8 on a 10 million installbase, they probably stand to make more money selling the games normally, for full price.

Yeah it would be dumb for Nintendo to offer their own games on that subscription for two reasons - the first you mention of the high attach rate, and the second is such a subscription would strengthen third party sales... if there wasn't a Nintendo game available.

What I meant was if they pop up a few vc titles etc while the library of NX games is built up, and then when the library is big enough (after maybe a third month) start offering exclusively 3rd party titles that have seen sales drop off a cliff. And maybe have the better ones available only to premium customers/50% discount style thing

Seriously, third parties aren't going to let their games go on a cheap subscription when they are sold digitally for a higher price than what you typically pay at a shop.

They were willing at first with PS+, but it was with games that were a couple of years old, for an extra boost of revenue, not the main income. And I wouldn't be surprised if Sony weren't making any profit from it at all. But as the move to PS4 happened, it's mainly now indies that are included. You typically don't get full retail titles. If they don't do it for Sony, there's no chance in hell they'd do it for Nintendo.

I think we'd all quite like to see Nintendo offer a subscription model like PS+ with their virtual console titles etc., but it's never going to be the main way games are bought.

"There's still five months until release and other consoles were fine"

Except in those five months Sony is releasing an updated console (and the slim), an accessory that changes how you play games, Microsoft has recently launched an updated console, there's Christmas and countless other 'distractions'.

To say "Microsoft/Sony did it fine" is to look at it in isolation. Even ignoring the complete difference in consoles (more of the same vs new, established name vs new, existing idea vs new), you're ignoring the fact May-November 2013 is completely different from October-March 2016/2017.

It's like saying "Sony's first party titles will be fine because Nintendo's are"

Edited by Ashley

A new day passes, another fuck not given about the NX, sadly. Getting diabolical - do you want 4-5 years of regular payments from me or not!?

Still not used to constant disappointments by now :p?

Current word/speculation is October via dazzybee via Emily Rogers - so I'd say take that as the idea and sit tight til then, even if it just helps get through and pass the time. I'm thinking we won't see it this month at least.

Still not used to constant disappointments by now :p?

I haven't crossed over to being that jaded with Nintendo, but I'll definitely remember this episode as them not giving a fcuk about its fans. A console is releasing in 6 months with absolute nothing but myth and theories??

The absolute killer blow for me will be if the NX gets delayed and BotW gets delayed with it.

Edited by King_V

The problem with making us wait so long before they reveal it is that it will run a risk of feeling extremely underwhelming if it hasn't made the strides in gaming that Nintendo need be making. Which they have a habit of doing.

Better they get it out there asap and upsell it as best they can to drive away any disappointment rather than not have the time to do so.

If they have made said strides though, then it'll be a case of "good things come to those who wait" and we'll all thank the gods.

If they have made said strides though, then it'll be a case of "good things come to those who wait" and we'll all thank the gods.

But knowing Nintendo for the past 20 odd years - Something tells me... they will do atleast one thing FATALLY wrong, that then seems to cascade into a domino effect on other areas of the console/games.

But knowing Nintendo for the past 20 odd years - Something tells me... they will do atleast one thing FATALLY wrong, that then seems to cascade into a domino effect on other areas of the console/games.

You mean people will fixate on that issue and not look at any of the positives?

The problem with making us wait so long before they reveal it is that it will run a risk of feeling extremely underwhelming if it hasn't made the strides in gaming that Nintendo need be making. Which they have a habit of doing.

Better they get it out there asap and upsell it as best they can to drive away any disappointment rather than not have the time to do so.

Tbh I think given the NX prize for Splatoon, the leak etc that we pretty much know what the console's going to be. I imagine however, for some reason, there's some technical hold-up they're trying to work through(which could be the Tegra 2 chip if it's coming new to market? I dunno) and they can't really put themselves in any position until then.

I hope however that when they DO reveal it they acknowledge the frustration of fans' wait, and if it was a technical issue they simply explain and apologise for it. No dressing up with any silly phrases or excuses('we just wanted to bring you the best machine we possibly could, and that takes time!') just a straight up honest reveal that acknowledges the wait and explains it as necessary.

Edited by Rummy

You mean people will fixate on that issue and not look at any of the positives?

No, I mean for example, no party chat capability in 2017.

So yes then :p

This negative is so vast that I can't think of a positive that outweighs it though... even all the positives I can think that the machine could bring couldn't outweigh being able to talk and laugh with your friends.

How about a sensor on the controller that recognises when you're laughing, and triggers the console to play a laughing sound, so it appears to be laughing along with you, simulating the feeling of having friends?

Sounds legit what Nintendo would do.

@Serebii Its not that (for me) Voice chat is overly important - Its just that when you've been used to a feature on every other gaming platform but then you jump on Nintendo's and have to put an x amount of effort to simulate the same experiences. Like putting in 12 digit friend codes, to add one friend....:shakehead

Edited by King_V

How about a sensor on the controller that recognises when you're laughing, and triggers the console to play a laughing sound, so it appears to be laughing along with you, simulating the feeling of having friends?

Or what about a friend who could play the games with you? A sort of robot or something? We could call him...S.A.M(simulated artificial mate).

Awww... Do you need a hug?

Tough! I don't hug, I'm English!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!