Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone think that the NX is the catalyst for Sony and Microsoft looking at upgrading their systems?

Absolutely not. The catalyst is wanting to keep your customers on your paid services by destroying the generation system.

I very much doubt they felt threatened by Nintendo.

Does anyone think that the NX is the catalyst for Sony and Microsoft looking at upgrading their systems?

The Xbox One's (relative) failure was the catalyst for Scorpio.

@£$& knows what made Sony think they needed to release Neo, apart from wanting another £300 off people, mid generation.

I take issue with Zelda getting the spotlight. It's a Wii U game. I'd rather have a new 3D Mario game at launch, that has been built from the ground up using the new hardware.

While having Splatoon and Smash GOTY editions is nice, again, these are Wii U games.

I wasn't thinking GOTY editions... I was thinking mariokart.. 9 would it be now? smash 5 and splatoon 2.

Miyamoto on NX:

While many expected Nintendo to show the Nintendo NX at E3 some time ago, it clearly wasn't ready to be unveiled right now, so it made sense to double down on the upcoming NX launch title (and Wii U swansong) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild instead.

Of course that isn't going to stop the press asking questions. Recently The Associated Press quizzed Miyamoto-san about how the Nintendo NX will factor into the console cycle revolution, in light of the technological advances announced by the PlayStation and Xbox camps. Here's what he had to say:

"In terms of NX, there's an idea that we're working on. That's why we can't share anything at this point, and I don't want to comment on the other companies. If it was just a matter of following advancements in technology, things would be coming out a lot quicker."

While we're expecting the home console NX variant to at least match today's PS4 and Xbox One in terms of power for those lovely third party ports, it's clear from Miyamoto's comment that Nintendo once again is not entering the tech specs war.

Could this "idea" be as revolutionary as motion controls were when the Wii launched in 2006? As always, share your thoughts with a comment below.

Source.

So it would seem that the NX will not compete with the Neo/Scorpio in terms of power and will have something else technology wise (that is not VR) that will make the system stand out.

It had better be self evidently useful to games in general or they better have at least 5 good ideas that make use of it if they are going this way again.

Lets hope the gimmick is VR and its still main stream, just running at PS4 power levels (just not Neo)

If it's something they didn't want to show off at this point (presumably so competitors don't try and adopt it) then that surely rules out VR since both Sony and Microsoft are already heading in that direction.

They probably learned their lesson from the Wii and how Sony and Microsoft copied that with the half-arsed motion sensing Sixaxis and Move and the Kinnect which, while cool tech, never really took off.

I still think the gimmick is just being able to play a cartridge based game on both NX and their new handheld. That would be pretty cool

In fairness the impact Kinect has outside of gaming is worth its existence alone, they just went about it the wrong way (both in terms of intent and the whole One strategy).

And the PS4's gyro keyboard is still one of the best uses of gyro I've seen in a long time. It's the little things :heh:

We'll see what Nintendo has cooked up. I think just being able to use the same media across two different devices isn't really big enough or something they'd want to keep quiet for fear of other companies copying given that it's basically the done deal with digital. Plus Microsoft and Sony aren't actively supporting any handhelds at the moment so how exactly would they copy it?

So Reggie says that details bout the NX will come later this year, do y'all have any idea as to when and where? Does Tokyo Game Show still happen nowadays (and does Nintendo attend there to reveal their news)?

Or might Nintendo just casually do so on their UTube channel on their whim?

The shareholders meeting was held this morning and while no really juicy has come out of it ( although the question about the lack of female board members was very welcome ) Kimishima did reiterate that the NX will be coming next March.

So still March...

I think September is too late.

A new console is a big investment and people, other than hardcore fans, need a good 9-12 months of analysis and info and hype.

Should get a reveal in July.

I think September is too late too. They need to get it shown so word of mouth can spread about the console as well as reports online.

The general public won't be reading gaming sites for reports and hands-on impressions etc. They'll hear about it from word of mouth from friends, their kids etc.

People are buying stuff or saving the pennies for Christmas at September time. Their focus will be on things for that.

Nintendo need to show it prior to them so people can at least consider putting a little money aside for an NX too.

If it is even appealing.

September is the only sensible time left to unveil it this year, with the unveil happening right before TGS (and then 3rd parties are able to show off their upcoming NX games at TGS itself).

Anything earlier is too long a gap to make people wait and anything later is too little (plus it would be incredibly stupid to make 3rd parties miss out on the window of opportunity that TGS provides for them to advertise their NX titles).

I'm starting to think augmented reality could be the big "gimmick" we saw snippets on 3DS and I'm wondering if they will launch with a Mario or Pikmin where it's fully functional. After all you can't get better graphics than real life. And it's exactly the kind of wacky thing Nintendo would dream up. Pikmin in particular would work very well with this formulary. I can imagine levels where you need to play in the garden for example.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!