Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

The Legend of Zelda will be the only playable game Nintendo brings to E3. Complete E3 plans will be announced later on.

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/statu...31692533882880

Seems NX is going to have its own reveal event http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202003117&postcount=690

Which is fine when it precedes E3. E3 can then be used for games.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really can't see the NX being a handheld first. All the signs for me point to home console.

Consoles do not come out in March, handhelds do.

Not only that but the 3DS is due to be replaced first.

End.

In fact, if you want to take the conspiracy further, Pokemon Sun & Moon comes out at roughly the same time Pokemon Black & White did, relative to the 3DS'/NX's release. There's a clear reason why they are skipping Pokemon Z ;)

Edited by Dcubed

Not only that but the 3DS is due to be replaced first.

End.

The release date makes sense as it was never going to be ready for this year, and the 3DS is still going fine.

No NX at E3? I sure hope for Nintendo that the reveal event will be before E3, then.

And that Zelda delay? ::shrug: Couldn't care less. We basically don't know anything about it. I have absolutely no hype for this.

Edit: Wow, reading that again makes me sad. My gaming history began with Link's Awakening and I've played most of the Zelda games...and now I am able to say that I don't give a damn about a new Zelda. :(

The release date makes sense as it was never going to be ready for this year, and the 3DS is still going fine.

Same thing happened with the 3DS. It was originally scheduled for release in November 2010 but was delayed till March 2011 (blame N-Vidia for that one).

No way would they ever release a home console outside of the holiday season. Just wouldn't happen.

latest?cb=20130818025252

Touche, but that was Europe only. The US release date (the most important one for worldwide sales) was September 1996. Also holiday sales have only become that much more important for Nintendo over the years. They literally make more than 50% of their yearly sales during the Xmas season. They can't afford to miss that with a console because it is much higher priced than their handhelds and thus, has a higher proportion of sales made during the Xmas shopping season as a result.

Edited by Dcubed

It's like you didn't even read my article :(http://n-europe.com/features/what-happens-nx-3-launch

The N64 and GameCube launched in March here. NES, N64 and GameCube launched June-September in Japan and NES, SNES and N64 August-October so it's by no means weird it's launching outside of Xmas.

It's weird that Nintendo has said Zelda will be the only playable title at E3. Presumably they'll still show off other stuff but you'll only get to play Zelda.

Odd indeed.

It's like you didn't even read my article :(http://n-europe.com/features/what-happens-nx-3-launch

Don't worry, I read it alright (great article BTW!), but in the context of historic sales for older Nintendo consoles, the US and JPN release dates are the ones that matter, not Europe. Remember that Europe was considered an afterthought up until the later GBA/GCN era and release timings were based entirely around the US and JPN market's needs).

It's weird that Nintendo has said Zelda will be the only playable title at E3. Presumably they'll still show off other stuff but you'll only get to play Zelda.

Odd indeed.

The tweet seems to be gone, maybe it was a mistranslation? Either way, I wouldn't put any stock into specifics until the official English transcript of the event comes out (consider this a warning in general for anything involving Nintendo Investor news. Lots of things often get lost in translation, so wait until the official transcript comes out in a few days before putting stock into things like this).

Edited by Dcubed

Touche, but that was Europe only.

moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

I agree that it does look more likely to be a handheld now, but the fact that they've launched a console in March and one in May ( GameCube ) shows that they can launch one whenever they feel like it.

Personally, i'm still hoping for it to be a console. The 3DS still has plenty to offer in terms of releases where the Wii U has been dead to me for a long time.

I think Nintendo have decided the most important trade show in the industry is somehow irrelevant! How they came to this decision is anyone's guess.

To be fair, its relevancy has dwindled.

However, Nintendo doing this is downright bizarre

I don't let myself get annoyed by this sort of thing usually, and am usually fine to just let Nintendo get on with what they do, and I'll buy their games if there's one I want. I'm not one to buy every game that's released, so am usually fine with the gaps between releases, although I of course acknowledge it would be much better for everyone to have many more games available on the console.

Today's announcements though have really made me question any faith I have in them as a company. They still make some brilliant games, but the decisions they are making are so questionable right now. Zelda is my favourite game series and they're pushing it even further back. Probably to help the NX, but it's a shitty move for the fans. It's unlikely my Wii U will be used much this year. It's only been used so far for Twilight Princess HD this year - a Wii/Gamecube remake.

It might get some use soon for those cheap Humble Bundle games I downloaded, but Nintendo have gone and destroyed any goodwill they had in the press last night with the news from this morning. But unless anything good is announced for release this year (which is looking unlikely at E3), it's doubtful I will be using their console much, and unless the NX is something real special and a great price, I can't see myself buying it at launch. A sad state for a company who have provided so much fun for me over the past 18 years or so.

Don't worry, I read it alright (great article BTW!), but in the context of historic sales for older Nintendo consoles, the US and JPN release dates are the ones that matter, not Europe. Remember that Europe was considered an afterthought up until the later GBA/GCN era and release timings were based entirely around the US and JPN market's needs).

The tweet seems to be gone, maybe it was a mistranslation? Either way, I wouldn't put any stock into specifics until the official English transcript of the event comes out (consider this a warning in general for anything involving Nintendo Investor news. Lots of things often get lost in translation, so wait until the official transcript comes out in a few days before putting stock into things like this).

Yeah yeah :chin rubbing emoji:

E3: Nintendo changes its approach to the show every year. This June, Nintendo will focus its attentions on the upcoming game in The Legend of Zelda series. The Wii U version of the game will be playable for the first time on the E3 show floor, and it will be the only playable game Nintendo presents at the show, in order to provide attendees a complete immersion. Additional information about Nintendo’s E3 plans will be announced in the future.

I agree that it does look more likely to be a handheld now, but the fact that they've launched a console in March and one in May ( GameCube ) shows that they can launch one whenever they feel like it.

The era of Europe getting belated releases is long gone (thank God!). Remember that EU was considered an afterthought up until the late GCN era. The release timings were based all around the needs of the JPN and US markets, so that's what we need to consider here.

Personally, i'm still hoping for it to be a console. The 3DS still has plenty to offer in terms of releases where the Wii U has been dead to me for a long time.

And yet ironically enough, the 3DS is the one that is due a replacement first, just by virtue of coming out a whole year and a half before Wii U (and thus, the NX handheld would have been put into R&D first). HD game development is a bitch sadly :(

Yeah yeah :chin rubbing emoji:

Consider myself chinrubbed! That's a surprise! They clearly want to push the Wii U version HARD! (which in turn seems to further indicate that they want people to turn to the Wii U as the console version of choice - since the NX version will be handheld).

Mind you though, that's for the showfloor. No doubt that their E3 Direct will heavily focus on their other Wii U games as well like Pikmin 4, Colour Splash and whatever Retro have in store for us. Maybe they'll actually release E3 demos of their 1st party games on the eShop this time, like they did with the Nindies@Home programme last year. That way they needn't bother getting journos to play the E3 demos of their other games since they can just make them playable for everyone)

Edited by Dcubed

Consider myself chinrubbed! That's a surprise! They clearly want to push the Wii U version HARD! (which in turn seems to further indicate that they want people to turn to the Wii U as the console version of choice - since the NX version will be handheld).

Mind you though, that's for the showfloor. No doubt that their E3 Direct will heavily focus on their other Wii U games as well like Pikmin 4, Colour Splash and whatever Retro have in store for us. Maybe they'll actually release E3 demos of their 1st party games on the eShop this time, like they did with the Nindies@Home programme last year. That way they needn't bother getting journos to play the E3 demos of their other games since they can just make them playable for everyone)

Oh yeah I don't doubt they won't show more, but to only have one playable?

Even if they release demos they're still missing the point of E3. It is a press (and public) event and the buzz builds from everyone being in the same place at the same time and fostering conversations through there.

The only playable game at E3. Surely that must be a mistranslation?

Perhaps it will be the only version of Zelda playable, but they must have more than one game across both platforms to show.

No treehouse if that is the case. In a set of baffling decisions, this appears to be the most baffling.

The only playable game at E3. Surely that must be a mistranslation?

Perhaps it will be the only version of Zelda playable, but they must have more than one game across both platforms to show.

No treehouse if that is the case. In a set of baffling decisions, this appears to be the most baffling.

If it is its a mistranslation from Nintendo themselves but anything is possible at this stage :heh:

This is downright weird.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited we finally have a confirmation on the release, but a March release is extremely weird. Some have pointed out that this is when handhelds are traditionally released, but we're definitely getting something new as our home consoles. I mean, they've slowed down Wii U production rapidly, haven't they?

Super weird that they're missing out on the Christmas window, but then again, that slot has arguably been taken up by Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and Pokémon Sun and Moon, so really I think it's good business on their behalf. Why go head-on with the updated PS4K/4.5 and XBOX consoles, who are guaranteed to sell third party games that you may have got your hands on, if people already had the other consoles? Plus arguably the largest handheld game release and movie releases of the year?

Stranger yet that we're only getting Zelda at E3. That's bizarre.

EDIT: and wait, so NX is the official title of this thing?

Edited by Julius Caesar

This is downright weird.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited we finally have a confirmation on the release, but a March release is extremely weird. Some have pointed out that this is when handhelds are traditionally released, but we're definitely getting something new as our home consoles. I mean, they've slowed down Wii U production rapidly, haven't they?

They've had some manufacturing issues, resulting in heavy shortages in Japan. It wasn't intentional.

Super weird that they're missing out on the Christmas window, but then again, that slot has arguably been taken up by Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and Pokémon Sun and Moon, so really I think it's good business on their behalf. Why go head-on with the updated PS4K/4.5 and XBOX consoles, who are guaranteed to sell third party games that you may have got your hands on, if people already had the other consoles? Plus arguably the largest handheld game release and movie releases of the year?

Good point. Didn't consider the Star Wars factor, that might play into it a little bit. But yeah, Pokemon S&M is getting the B&W treatment here for sure.

Stranger yet that we're only getting Zelda at E3. That's bizarre.

Yup, very odd. But I suppose it doesn't matter too much to us at home since they don't do live conferences anymore and given the success of the Nindies@Home programme and the Nintendo World Championships, I suspect something similar but on a bigger scale this time.

EDIT: and wait, so NX is the official title of this thing?

Nope. They've yet to announce anything other than the release month and Zelda Wii U getting an NX version.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!