NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Yeah, even the online shops on PSN & XBL aren't Region Free. Plus, I'll need to keep them separate for connectivity reasons. It's for the best really

The shop region you browse is dependent on your PSN account region, not your hardware. A UK PS4 can connect to the Japanese PSN Store.

The shop region you browse is dependent on your PSN account region, not your hardware. A UK PS4 can connect to the Japanese PSN Store.

Yeah, still locked based on account though and technically it's against ToS, they just don't punish you for it

Yeah, still locked based on account though and technically it's against ToS, they just don't punish you for it

You'll be technically breaking the ToS even if you have a Japanese PS4 though, since the Japanese PSN account you make would be registered using dodgy information (since you are not actually based in Japan), and because you'll not have a Japanese credit card.

Makes more sense to just have one system, at least with PS4 - sign in on your Japanese account and download the games, and those games can be loaded on the same system alongside the games you downloaded on your UK account. You don't need to be logged into the Japanese PSN to run the Japanese-downloaded games.

At the very least, there's not much point in buying one from Japan. May as well just get 2 from UK without paying import duties and losing warranty and such.

This is my post from the other thread. Figured people in here would be interested in it as well.

Emily Rogers has said this about the console.

• In May, I said Nvidia was involved with the system. (Source)
  • The screen is around 6 inches (6.2 to be specific)
  • The portable screen has a 720p resolution.
  • Multi-touch touchscreen (Haven’t heard anything about a stylus.)
  • 32 GB of internal storage is on the NX dev kit. (They may increase storage to 64GB for the final retail unit, but I doubt it.)
  • There is an SD Card port.
  • Dock Station has at least 2 USB ports on prototype. Not sure about final product.
  • NX will support Unreal Engine 4 and Unity engine
  • NX is below Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in raw power.
  • Dev kits are region free. I heard retail units might be region free too.
  • Nintendo still plans to support the 3DS with software through 2018.

Here is of mock up of the controller/handheld.

nbCErLk.jpg

Letsplayvideogames then had this to say.

As others already said, it’s a hybrid console with detachable controllers that have a split D-Pad, A, B, X, Y, and a camera / share button. However, something I believe none of them have mentioned is the size of the current dev kit.

It’s slightly thicker than the Nintendo 3DS XL when folded, so 25 mm, with a width of around 281 mm and a height of 92 mm with the controllers attached. Separated, the controllers have the same depth and height, and they both have a width of 38 mm, making the console itself have a width of 205 mm.

I’ve made a picture detailing where the TV port, headphone port, SD Card port, power button and cartridge port can be found.

DWSRjyX.png

One final thing I thought I should discuss is how the controllers connect. They’re both held by the console via a hole in each side of the system where the controllers can connect to. It sort of looks like this.

Dz9fZvF.png

To take it out, there’s a button on the back of each controller that lowers the center spike that keeps it in place, making it eject from the system.

If true, then this sounds a bit on the chunky side. Saying that, dev kits are usually beasts compared to the final product. I just hope it's a lot sleeker than the Wii U GamePad. While I love off tv play, the thing is a behemoth, especially if you have just come off playing with a regular controller.

All sounds good to me

Supporting the 3DS until 2018 is certainly interesting. Wasn't expecting that, suppose it must be tough to give up on a 60mil install base.

Edited by Ronnie

There's no way a huge connector like that is coming out of the side of the controller in the final design. It has to be much more elegant, surely..

All sounds good to me

Supporting the 3DS until 2018 is certainly interesting. Wasn't expecting that, suppose it must be tough to give up on a 60mil install base.

Makes business sense, especially if the NX is everything these reports are saying they are. If true then Nintendo are putting all of their eggs in one basket and if it was to fail then they need something to still bring in the money. I dunno how many more shots in the arm the 3DS has left in it, though.

There's no way a huge connector like that is coming out of the side of the controller in the final design. It has to be much more elegant, surely..

As I mentioned, dev kits are always bulk things. Hopefully the final design is much sleeker. Hopefully...

There was that recent patent that showed detachable controllers sending data to the unit through IR sensors rather than a physical connection so hopefully it ends up being more elegant than what's shown in these mock ups.

It would be fantastic if its region free, Nintendo have really been lagging behind in that regard for a while. The one thing that worries me about this is the TV port, hopefully it's just an optional HDMI port so you can still use the touchscreen while it's plugged into a TV and that there is still a dock, otherwise it's going to be pretty awkward.

In reference to the limited storage space, obviously it will be fine if you can install and run games from the SD card like you can on the 3DS but the function foolishly doesn't exist on the Wii U so i'm not holding my breath on that one.

Is it wrong the 2 usbs are worrying me? I'm expecting to have to attach a hardrive to this thing, that's the, both gone again. Then what about the game cube adaptor? Again, was hoping this could be used for GameCube VC...

Nothing about motion controls makes it easier to aim accurately. It's a control method hindered by the unsteadiness of the arm. Are you also someone who would use the Wii wheel in Mario Kart?

I still don't buy that, I can hit things from a ridiculous distance when it comes to pointing at stuff in games like Twilight Princess or Resident Evil 4, stuff I'd never dream of hitting with control sticks.

Then again, I make good use of armrests, you don't have to hold your arm in midair to do pointy things, you know.

And yes, I do use the Wii Wheel in Mario Kart, I use it all the time.

And is it as accurate? I certainly think so, and my second place in the N-E League will back me up on that.

Right, I forgot that Metroid had a dated aiming system. I really meant that dual analogue is a better way of controlling than motion controls, not the old "R" method.

You should see me play Perfect Dark on the 360. You'll cringe at how much I can't handle it.

Dual Analogue is also the single reason I hate the Banjo-Tooie XBox remaster.

Way too frustrating.

I have to say, I'm surprised at people who find the pointer less effective than an analogue stick. the pointer was the first time I found a fps on a console as much fun as on a PC - with dual analogue I find myself fighting the controls far too much. Even with splatoon I kinda wish I could use the pointer. I can't imagine how anyone could struggle with the wiimote pointer - possibly if you have interference from other light sources then sure, but aside from that possibility (and a dodgy wiimote) it's incredible to me that anyone would struggle. Of course to each their own, but those who have played with dual analogue shooters, wiimote, gamepad gyro and mouse+keyboard set ups, what order would you rank them in?

For me, with shooters:

mouse+keyboard

wiimote

gamepad gyro assisted

dual analogue

with the top two being very close. It has been over a decade since I played a PC shooter.

You should see me play Perfect Dark on the 360. You'll cringe at how much I can't handle it.

Dual Analogue is also the single reason I hate the Banjo-Tooie XBox remaster.

Way too frustrating.

Are you being intentionally difficult? :p none of those games were designed initially to use dual analogue. I'm not saying that in a list of existing games, in which dual analogue was not the original control method, dual analogue is a better solution than motion controls. I'm saying that overall, should the game have been built around its control method of choice, I find basic dual analogue controls the more intuitive, precise and complete method. Whilst motion controls attempt to emulate some real life practices like swinging a sword and aiming a gun, the disconnect is so wide that I'm left with a mental buffer to feeling truly in control, and the technological prowess is not quite there to make it a fast, fluid or reactive method, either.

Edit: since other people are pointing it out, should definitely be stated that for an FPS, I also prefer the kb+mouse option.

Edited by Shorty

I have to say, I'm surprised at people who find the pointer less effective than an analogue stick. the pointer was the first time I found a fps on a console as much fun as on a PC - with dual analogue I find myself fighting the controls far too much. Even with splatoon I kinda wish I could use the pointer. I can't imagine how anyone could struggle with the wiimote pointer - possibly if you have interference from other light sources then sure, but aside from that possibility (and a dodgy wiimote) it's incredible to me that anyone would struggle. Of course to each their own, but those who have played with dual analogue shooters, wiimote, gamepad gyro and mouse+keyboard set ups, what order would you rank them in?

For me, with shooters:

mouse+keyboard

wiimote

gamepad gyro assisted

dual analogue

with the top two being very close. It has been over a decade since I played a PC shooter.

Agree with this, going back to dual analogs after Wii remote aiming was painful. Motion controllers in the right circumstance fit in very well, I couldn't imagine playing Splatoon without them for instance.

So someone's explained ten dimensions, thicker than xl closed, so pretty chunky, hopefully for a huge battery and storage :), just under 10cm. Seems pretty small for a controller when They're detached. Maybe same size as an Apple TV Remote. For simple motion games or something they're okay, but hope not too much focus is put on them

Are you being intentionally difficult? :p none of those games were designed initially to use dual analogue. I'm not saying that in a list of existing games, in which dual analogue was not the original control method, dual analogue is a better solution than motion controls.

Nope, I'm just not a fan of First Person Shooters, precisely because of the dual analogue controls.

I mean, to be frank, I suck at Perfect Dark even on the N64.

Whilst motion controls attempt to emulate some real life practices like swinging a sword and aiming a gun' date=' the disconnect is so wide that I'm left with a mental buffer to feeling truly in control, [b']and the technological prowess is not quite there to make it a fast, fluid or reactive method, either[/b].

Now this is an interesting point. I never found myself with that kind of problem. Obviously, it differs from person to person, but I find the majority of motion controls second nature (Granted that they're implemented well).

It feels reactive enough for me. But maybe I'm some kind of weird bloke who can play Skyward Sword without ever getting frustrated because the Sword won't swing the way I want.

In regards to the bolded, you say that tech isn't advanced enough to be an effective method yet.

Then how could it possibly be improved upon if it flat out gets dropped? It's the point I was originally trying to make. Dropping motion controls completely would be a step backwards. There are things you just can't do with a controller, no matter how many buttons and sticks you shove on it.

I thought the idea of this was to make it sort of portable? The screen size means it could just about fit in a pocket but it's chunky.

And is it as accurate? I certainly think so, and my second place in the N-E League will back me up on that..

You'd have come first with a PRO Controller.. for PRO gamers :heh:

I'm joking, of course* :smile: I can't say I ever experienced any problems with the feel or accuracy of the Wii Wheel. It works great :hehe:

*Plus Will is MUCH better than you :grin:

If it's a single screen portable I think it needs to come with some sort of case as standard too - the DS/3DS did a lot to protect itself with a clamshell design, but if this is a single screen how will it do the same? I'm presuming it's still going to have streetpass etc features hence people will be encouraged to take it out and about?

*Plus Will is MUCH better than you :grin:

I've think we've all accepted that Will is some kind of robot from the future designed to be ridiculously good at Mario Kart.

...What do you mean, you haven't?

See, this is how it all ends, they've got you right where they want you!

You'd have come first with a PRO Controller.. for PRO gamers :heh:

If the "I'm using Motion Controls" highlight video is anything to go by, no, I wouldn't have. Then again, if everyone used Motion Controls instead, I might have pulled it off.

Think I might go watch that again.

I still don't buy that, I can hit things from a ridiculous distance when it comes to pointing at stuff in games like Twilight Princess or Resident Evil 4, stuff I'd never dream of hitting with control sticks.

Then again, I make good use of armrests, you don't have to hold your arm in midair to do pointy things, you know.

And is it as accurate? I certainly think so, and my second place in the N-E League will back me up on that.

Keep in mind that Mario Kart doesn't use analogue controls, so the comparison doesn't work. Its controls are built for a d-pad, so the motion control works fine for that. You couldn't play a game with analogue controls (Forza, Mario Kart Double Dash etc) with regular motion controls. That said I do think motion can benefit a game. The camera in Splatoon is a good example of how fantastic they can be; I wish all 3rd person action games had Splatoon's camera!

Reading the dimensions posted on GAF it seems like it's far too big to be a truly portable console, way beyond the size of a pocket anyway. It wouldn't be a problem for me as I tend to take a bag with my when I go out but I can see it putting some people off. I was definitely expecting something more comparable in size to the vita instead of the Wii U gamepad though.

Keep in mind that Mario Kart doesn't use analogue controls, so the comparison doesn't work. Its controls are built for a d-pad, so the motion control works fine for that. You couldn't play a game with analogue controls (Forza, Mario Kart Double Dash etc) with regular motion controls. That said I do think motion can benefit a game. The camera in Splatoon is a good example of how fantastic they can be; I wish all 3rd person action games had Splatoon's camera!

I wish Splatoon had given us the option for dual-sticking though(without turning off motion).

Reading the dimensions posted on GAF it seems like it's far too big to be a truly portable console, way beyond the size of a pocket anyway. It wouldn't be a problem for me as I tend to take a bag with my when I go out but I can see it putting some people off. I was definitely expecting something more comparable in size to the vita instead of the Wii U gamepad though.

Same I tend to take a bag with me most places but it does pose a problem. I found the 3DS more 'pocketable' than the Vita though.

Keep in mind that Mario Kart doesn't use analogue controls, so the comparison doesn't work. Its controls are built for a d-pad, so the motion control works fine for that. You couldn't play a game with analogue controls (Forza, Mario Kart Double Dash etc) with regular motion controls.

Does it not? Huh... I never would have noticed. Thanks for telling me.

Does it not? Huh... I never would have noticed. Thanks for telling me.

Funnily enough, Splatoon is one of the only big Wii U titles that uses analogue controls. NMSB, SM3DW, Donkey Kong, Smash, Mario Kart are all based around the d-pad. It will be interesting to see which way they go with the NX but I'm hoping they move back to analogue sticks :)

Emily Rogers she's asked a few sources and confirmed the second stickies BELOW the buttons. A few people including @Hero\-of\-Time will be happy