NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

So, some time has passed since the reveal. I'm glad to see a home/handheld hybrid, and even more pleasantly surprised by the positive reaction. A few stray thoughts:

• The portabilty thing is huge. Like, the main reason I didn't get a home console during this generation is because they're so cumbersome. I'm moving frequently these days, I can't have a console and TV, nor can I guarantee the space to host them. There's a reason I've been gaming mostly on my laptop. The Switch solves everything;
  • Even multiplayer is portable. That's fantastic, I can bring the thing to a friend's house with no problem;
  • Another thing I'm very glad to see: this controller has the ability to replicate (that is, serve as a substitute for) every controller from previous generations. There's a tablet+screen for Wii U, DS & 3DS games, then detachable controllers can play Wii, NES & GBC/GBA games, and the full controller can replicate Gamecube, N64 & SNES. The VC/eShop for this thing has great potential;
  • 3D Super Mario. Take my money;
  • Breath of the Wild still looks amazing. God, it's so pretty;
  • Bethesda being on-board is a great marketing move. Skyrim is a much bigger catch than Arkham ever was;
  • Nintendo Switch is a great name. It's catchy and marketable;
  • I don't think Joy-Con is a terrible name. I don't think it's a good one, either. I just expected apathy, but I see downright hate. Kinda bizarre.

So yeah, it's been years since I was last interested in getting a home console, but the Switch makes a bloody good case. Great stuff.

So what's the chances of Nintendo now saying nothing else until next year now?

If there silent I really hope third parties are not and can talk about games.

On GAF they are saying no more news till next year (don't remember the source).

But we know the partners, third parties should start talking now, or at least I expect more "leaks".

Funny you should say that...

Nintendo: no more official announcement would come this year on 1) game titles 2) spec details, including region-lock status.

Ask and ye shall receive! (Or rather not receive in this case, thanks jerk!)

Funny you should say that...

Ask and ye shall receive! (Or rather not receive in this case, thanks jerk!)

Yikes didn't want to read that.

Still as long as third parties talk rather than all the secrecy. Cat is out of the bag now so am expecting to hear developers talk about it.

Bloody hell Nintendo, let me know if it'll have the feature that'll make me buy it! God damn it!!!

Bloody hell Nintendo, let me know if it'll have the feature that'll make me buy it! God damn it!!!

Who are you kidding... you're buying this, if you bought a Wii U, you're buying this.

Thank goodness they didn't call it Nintendo Swiitch :blank:

If they had done then eet would've bin fantasteek.

I have a genuine enquiry, though. Might we at long last see FPS's which offer a motion controlled option aswell as a conventional controlpad option?

I think such options would be more welcoming to a wider variety. And we could also see if conventional controlpad delusioners would make the switch to the hopefully refined wiimote+ nunchuck style control option.

Next year is only a few months away guys. A March launch and "news next year" means it'll be very soon into January in order for retailers and marketing to get their asses in gear. We got a massive information blitz yesterday, time to switch back to our default setting of enthusiastically ravenous and vibrate away with hopes and theories as we have since learning the system wouldn't be at E3.

Edited by Guy
Decided to switch out some of my post, whooaaaaa!

Also, they said no news on games or specs. Maybe they'll talk about OS, share button and features, streetpass etc

I can't help but worry that by not talking about it more before Christmas they're potentially losing sales. If people could make an informed decision they might hold out buying another console for Christmas, but 3 minutes of video might not be enough for some to decide to wait.

Who knows. Wake me in January.

I've realised that there is one place I could be let down heavily by Nintendo. I don't really care about speed, gpu or any other specs, but I care about HDD space. It needs to be easily expandable, I don't want to run out of space with DLC and downloadable titles. Also, the handheld should take standard SD or Micro SD cards like the 3DS, learn from PlayStation's mistake and do not start using proprietary memory cards.

I'd 100% say it's not a dual screen, given by the docking cover up. Touch I guess remains unspecified/said(surely will be?) but at least they're quite good/clear with the dock in the reveal that it's one screen at a time.

I mean, I know you're agreeing with me :p but it's not impossible that some games will utilise the tablet and the TV, probably just using the dock as a transmitter of game information, so only getting the amount of available power that you get undocked.

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7316369/nxmodconcept.jpg

loving the ideas people are coming up with

I'm not :p the Wii originally touted having this kind of thing and most of it was tacky or never materialised at all. It's not necessary to augment the device with plastic, I can do that much with my imagination...

I don't think they flipped the control stick down to match the Xbone and Gamecube. I think they had to put it there so that when you hold the right mini controller it resembles a wiimote. If the control stick was at the top, you would struggle to operate the buttons as they'd be further towards your palm.

•  
  • I don't think Joy-Con is a terrible name. I don't think it's a good one, either. I just expected apathy, but I see downright hate. Kinda bizarre.

Yeah I find that hatred to be pretty trivial. To find something so small and irrelevant to vent at is almost as if people were just looking for something to hate. Who really cares what a controller is called?

https://www.ft.com/content/f8301546-c042-320c-a4d3-fa42b6eb478b

This is a bit strange since the Internet i generally positive towards Switch.

And as Shorty I've also been worrying about memory. They can't only offer 32 GB flash internally, while SD cards are not a good solution. Games are going to fill those up quickly.

Stocks always drop after announcements that aren't "OMG WE MOBILE NOW BITCHES" in this industry. The fact places like FT and WSJ report this makes me question a lot of what they're trying to accomplish

I've realised that there is one place I could be let down heavily by Nintendo. I don't really care about speed, gpu or any other specs, but I care about HDD space. It needs to be easily expandable, I don't want to run out of space with DLC and downloadable titles. Also, the handheld should take standard SD or Micro SD cards like the 3DS, learn from PlayStation's mistake and do not start using proprietary memory cards.

Based on Wii, 3DS and Wii U, I think you don't need to worry here.

It'll probably allow up to 128GB SD cards. Obviously as it's a portable, it can't have a HDD, and SSDs would jack up the price like crazy so don't expect more than 64GB of onboard memory

...I have a genuine enquiry, though. Might we at long last see FPS's which offer a motion controlled option aswell as a conventional controlpad option?

I think such options would be more welcoming to a wider variety. And we could also see if conventional controlpad delusioners would make the switch to the hopefully refined wiimote+ nunchuck style control option.

You mean like the Call of Duty games did on the Wii and WiiU?

Who are you kidding... you're buying this, if you bought a Wii U, you're buying this.

The WiiU is exactly the reason I'd not be buying this if it doesn't have Party Chat!

Oh yeah, I understand why some people don't, but I personally love the "Joy-Con" name. Just saying it brings a smile to my face. :grin:

@kav82 aw cool! I'm still frozen in The Condweet days as I never gamed on COD on ze Vii and I never got U. Nah I mean I get YOU but I didn't buy the Wiiu. Ah great so it should be a done-did deal den. :D

Yeah I find that hatred to be pretty trivial. To find something so small and irrelevant to vent at is almost as if people were just looking for something to hate. Who really cares what a controller is called?

Possibly similar dudes who cares what video game consoles are called, such as the Wii and Wiiu. xD

Based on Wii, 3DS and Wii U, I think you don't need to worry here.

It'll probably allow up to 128GB SD cards. Obviously as it's a portable, it can't have a HDD, and SSDs would jack up the price like crazy so don't expect more than 64GB of onboard memory

There's room for an SSD in the dock. Maybe you can store your library in there and copy to the tablet what you want to play right now.

As for the system as a whole, I'm optimistic but not yet convinced. As with everything Nintendo, the potential in the hardware is there but that pitch can be ruined by some small but important realities. I'm thinking very heavily on the original Wii videos.

There's room for an SSD in the dock. Maybe you can store your library in there and copy to the tablet what you want to play right now.

As for the system as a whole, I'm optimistic but not yet convinced. As with everything Nintendo, the potential in the hardware is there but that pitch can be ruined by some small but important realities. I'm thinking very heavily on the original Wii videos.

Oh I agree there are ways around it, but having a built in HDD into the Switch device is a bad idea and a built in SSD would be horrific.

Having it expandable like the Wii U and 3DS is clearly the way forward.

The system is being marketed at being able to quickly jump between playing a game on home to playing it on the go. Having to copy your game data/save states from a hdd/ssd in the dock to the console/Switch and do that repeatedly would work against that concept. It would slow things down and would get in the way of what Nintendo are trying to achieve.

For me, there's a huge question mark over patches and game data. If there is a share button, those saved images and videos will have to go somewhere. I've saved tooooons of images during my latest playthrough of The Last of Us and the amount quickly adds up - and that's without videos. Patches take up space, videos and images take up tons of room and that's before even accounting for save data.

For me, there's a huge question mark over patches and game data. If there is a share button, those saved images and videos will have to go somewhere. I've saved tooooons of images during my latest playthrough of The Last of Us and the amount quickly adds up - and that's without videos. Patches take up space, videos and images take up tons of room and that's before even accounting for save data.

Save data will be on the cartridges for the games so at least that's not a problem.

I think having the game on a ssd in the dock with it being (automatically) transferred over to the handheld expandable memory (kind of like installing a game on the other systems) would make sense and be a solution. It's a bit hard if you play a lot of different games at a time, though.

Could patch data be saved on a cartridge if they've left enough room too?