NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

So we'll finally be getting a mainline Pokemon game on a home console then @Serebii

Pokemon Eclipse, coming to Nintendo Switch November 2017.

:heh:

Have any specs been released?

I'd be interested to know what (or if) the internal storage is.

Nothing has been released other than that video and a press release which (primarily) just listed 3rd parties.

Reveal await part 2 begins...

So we'll finally be getting a mainline Pokemon game on a home console then @Serebii

Pokemon Eclipse, coming to Nintendo Switch November 2017.

:heh:

Na they won't jump mid-gen.

The Switch is like the glass half full/empty think.

Is it a portable that can connect to the TV or a home console that can be taken on the go.

So that I win the argument, I'm going with the former :p

I'm not impressed. It looks nice but the controllers look really small and uncomfortable.

Nintendo are describing this as a home system? BBC are saying something different (uh-ho here we go again)

Nintendo has revealed that its next games machine will be a handheld, portable device that doubles up as a home console.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37713938

I need to know more about the games and online functionality before I can say anything. Right now I just feel let down and annoyed.

Did Nintendo really think Sony and Microsoft were going to steal this idea? The screen/handheld looks like a PSP to me.

If it ends up non touch screen that would be odd and right now i'm not sure how i'd feel about that - i don't like touch controls, but for menu's and certain things it would be good.

But all the rumors have said touch screen and i really can't see them not including it considering how cheap it is these days

The only thing i could complain about is that i want more info! and i want it now!

Did anyone ever care about whether Pokemon would be on a home console, from the sense that it would or would not be portable? I think that's an argument that might've developed over time on this forum but lost its reasoning along the way. The point was, people want a full sized Pokemon game with the scale and depth that you usually only get from a console. It's not about whether it's on a system you can unplug and take outside, it's about whether it's a Pokemon game that looks more like the new Zelda than like Sun/Moon.

Nintendo are describing this as a home system? BBC are saying something different (uh-ho here we go again)

Doesn't really matter what people are saying or how it's referred to at this point IMO, we all have the same info.... BBC are only saying what they've seen, no different to what you've seen.

Edited by Shorty

Is it a portable that can connect to the TV or a home console that can be taken on the go.

announcement.jpg

Nintendo themselves have already settled that argument, looks like you lose :heh:

BBC don't often give positive vibes to Nintendo in their Tech news, sometimes they seem to pretend that their consoles don't even exist except in these cases.

Really liking this new direction that the console's going in. There will be concerns of course over the fact that the console is still underpowered compared to the PS4 and Xbox One but I think this time the fact that it can be taken on the go is good. The 3DS was essentially a handheld Wii and the Switch is effectively an HD handheld that can also be played at home, playing to Nintendo's strengths on the handheld market while also giving them some footing in the home console market.

Time will tell how it fares but I think it looks very promising. And yeah, I don't think we'd get a mainline Pokemon game on it until Gen 8.

BBC don't often give positive vibes to Nintendo in their Tech news, sometimes they seem to pretend that their consoles don't even exist except in these cases.

I've always got that vibe from the BBC too, like they've got some sort of beef with Nintendo - it's really odd.

I don't think it matters too much how media outlets report on it though in regards to it being a portable/home console or home console/portable it's just semantics really. The core concept of being able to play your game on the go and at home is put across really well in this reveal video and it already seems like its surpassed the Wii U in terms of mainstream attention.

I'm pretty sure that it's not a touch-screen, nor is it dual screen, so you won't be using the tablet while playing on your TV. Just guessing really, but they didn't show any touch functionality in the trailer. If it's not, I won't miss it at all.

Yeah I can live without touch screen

That was one damn slick trailer! Dat click sound/animation effect! SOOOOO GOOOODD!!!

Skyrim on this thing is a big surprise! I can't believe that Bethesda are supporting a Nintendo console! The sky really is falling! :o

There's no way this thing doesn't have a touch screen, of course it will. The big question though, is whether or not you can display two different things on both the TV and the tablet screen... The trailer is a bit coy about that...

I'll probably still keep my Wii U hooked up though, so long as there are games I need to finish. I'm finding as an adult that my time spent finishing games is a lot slower than it was when I was a kid. I have Golden Sun, Xenoblade X, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy X and Metroid Prime Federation Force on the "still to finish" list.

That was one damn slick trailer! Dat click sound/animation effect! SOOOOO GOOOODD!!!

Skyrim on this thing is a big surprise! I can't believe that Bethesda are supporting a Nintendo console! The sky really is falling! :o

There's no way this thing doesn't have a touch screen, of course it will. The big question though, is whether or not you can display two different things on both the TV and the tablet screen... The trailer is a bit coy about that...

I agree that it'll have a touch screen, but no way can you use any sort of dual screen. To display on the TV it has to be docked, which means the handheld screen is completely covered!

That was one of the most clear things about the trailer!

switch01_small.jpg

Completely covered...

I agree that it'll have a touch screen, but no way can you use any sort of dual screen. To display on the TV it has to be docked, which means the handheld screen is completely covered!

That would lead to question marks about the usage of touch screen then, as @Dog\-amoto pointed out. How can you use the touch screen when playing at home on the telly if the console is docked?

switch01_small.jpg

Completely covered...

Oh... Good catch. I missed that.

Mind you though, you can connect multiple devices together over local wireless as seen in the trailer, so perhaps you can use multiple devices to replicate the Wii U setup if you so wish?

I mean, the Wii U was originally designed to support multiple Gamepads after all... Now they have a way of doing that properly here!

Did anyone ever care about whether Pokemon would be on a home console, from the sense that it would or would not be portable? I think that's an argument that might've developed over time on this forum but lost its reasoning along the way. The point was, people want a full sized Pokemon game with the scale and depth that you usually only get from a console. It's not about whether it's on a system you can unplug and take outside, it's about whether it's a Pokemon game that looks more like the new Zelda than like Sun/Moon.

Couldn't care less, was just having a joke with @Serebii :heh:

Will be nice to see how Game Freak make use of the extra horsepower though, no reason Gen 8 couldn't look like No No Kuni, or even better!

That would lead to question marks about the usage of touch screen then, as @Dog\-amoto pointed out. How can you use the touch screen when playing at home on the telly if the console is docked?

Maybe they want to be really clear, so unlike the wii u when people complained about playing kirby on the gamepad when it looked amaizng on the tele, maybe some touch games only work on the gamepad!!

Weird one though, also means wii u games won't be on the VC. And miiverse and such can't be on tele...

The bridge of the controller could be a touch piece though like the ps4 controller

You wouldn't...

But there's no reason that certain games can't be designed with portability in mind (e.g. Indies) that focus on touch screen controls.

Also what about the OS? What if you want to watch TV but use the web browser at the same time, or post on Miiverse?

Touch screen support would add barely any cost these days so I think it would be crazy to not have it!

Couldn't care less, was just having a joke with @Serebii :heh:

Will be nice to see how Game Freak make use of the extra horsepower though, no reason Gen 8 couldn't look like No No Kuni, or even better!

Just upping the resolution makes them look nice.

They won't be like huge 3D overworlds like Breath of the Wild. Game Freak are unlikely to do that

Think those but with better textures.

The Pokémon models are ridiculously detailed as is, so it's just the overworld and battle backgrounds that reuire work

switch01_small.jpg

Completely covered...

There's part at the top which sticks out which kind of annoys me.

As does the groove in the back (although I'm more curious than annoyed).

It has real analogue sticks so that's good to see and they're in the right place! I can't tell if those a real analogue triggers on the back or if it's just really curved digital buttons. I know why the dpad has gone but it's still a shame we're losing it (edit: just seen the Pro controller will still have it). I'll miss the clamshell-dualscreen design but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Do we know if it has a touchscreen at all? If it is, it doesn't look like the resistive type so DS games won't ever play perfectly on it.

USB ports on the Switch Dock. So maybe it'll be possible to use a HDD when in the dock and transfer it to the Switch itself for digital games.

A bit weird that they showed a lot of a game from a few years ago. But getting Bethesda on board in any capacity is a massive plus. Not to mention all the Nintendo games looked great!

Wish they hadn't called the controllers Joy-Cons though.

Edited by V. Amoleo

So you're going with its a handheld?

In that case...thoughts?

;)

Well it looks like they've ditched the Wii brand and that whole strategy. I get the feeling that this console is a sequel of sorts to the Gamecube, which is a good start. The majority of fans will likely be delighted that this console is aimed at them. A return to analogue sticks as the minimum input requirement is a good news too as most Wii U titles were built around the d-pad.

Can't wait to see more of Mario.

The logo on the switch pro controller gave me Gamecube vibes.

Please not anything related to Sunshine though. Would cry.