NEurope
Blade

Weight Loss and Fitness 2015

I'm sure you'll run it faster than that, don't put yourself down.

EDIT: I've just realised that all my posts in this thread are just making jokes about other people's achievemens. I'll stop that.

Edited by 130131301364

I thanked you for the joke. I thought it was funny.

I'm returning to my previous self from before my groin injury. It's good to be back. Still not in as good a shape as then but that'll come soon enough. Doing a good mix of cardio and strength, I've added quite som kilos to my squats (both front and back, now for overhead!) and the deadlift is getting back in shape; I can't lift 8x110 kg at the moment but I feel it's mainly my grip that fails; before I used mixed grip but I'm training for double overhand now instead as I think it's better for the body that way. Strict overhead press still isn't very good but I'm also training my push and split jerks and they are getting better. Managed to push jerk 60 kg twice a week ago.

I've also got back to biking to and from work (2x8 km) since I got my new bike. It feels good!

Easier said than done. I feel like I'm constantly eating. I genuinely find bulking harder than cutting.

How much are you actually eating each day? Track your calories for a few days (or everyday if you want) and see how much you actually are eating.

A lot of people are surprised.

How much are you actually eating each day? Track your calories for a few days (or everyday if you want) and see how much you actually are eating.

A lot of people are surprised.

I track, it's between 3100-3500. I think it's actually because I've been getting ill, thanks to working in a school. It suddenly hit me around 10 o'clock today and most people are becoming tired/ill in work as the end of term approaches.

Ready to join a gym again after extended downtime but not sure what to join.

There's one that's nearby but a bit small. Went on Sunday to try it out and it was crammed and when I went one evening in the week to try it out it seemed busier (and I got bored of waiting for someone to come see me so I left). Plus it's a 12 month membership and my fear of commitment extends to gyms too :heh:

There's another that is bigger, a bit cheaper (about £10 a month cheaper) but further away. Would take ~10 minutes to cycle there (as opposed to 5 minute walk) and obviously that would involve the faff of trying to take gym stuff on a bike (not a huge bother obviously), but no contract.

Argh. Choices are hard!

I'd go with the second one, the cycling will give you a warm up/warm down.

I am intending to go after work, which I will be cycling back from and is around 7 miles.

...providing my knee is back to normal again soon.

They had something at work today that gave you some nonsense results that don't mean anything, but it's been the talk of the office!

Apparently my metabolic age is 13, my 'visceral fat rating' is 2 (they recommend anything lower than 13) and my fat mass is 13%.

It's all nonsense apparently, but it amused me.

Three posts in a row by me...

Anyway, after trying both gyms I've gone for the one closer to home. The other was bigger in terms of size, but what I'd actually use means its about the same (i.e. row after row of treadmills is not of interest to me).

Now to figure out a routine again. I'm looking to tone mostly. Any suggestions, advice and what not?

They had something at work today that gave you some nonsense results that don't mean anything, but it's been the talk of the office!

Apparently my metabolic age is 13, my 'visceral fat rating' is 2 (they recommend anything lower than 13) and my fat mass is 13%.

It's all nonsense apparently, but it amused me.

13% body fat is very good.

body-fat-percentage-men-women.png

Obviously the lower bodyfat you go in that image the higher muscle mass those people have.

London Marathon tomorrow. Worst possible prep I've got nervous and lost my appetite. I'm fucked.

I'm a little annoyed with myself. I'm trying to be consistent with the training but I am so tired tonight and have football tomorrow...think I'll do some ab work and then lift on Saturday. I lifted on Sunday and Tuesday but I've hardly sat down all day and my feet are aching.

This might not seem like much to some, but I fancy sharing anyway! Just deadlifted 5 reps of 100KG as well as squatting my BW for 5x5 reps, and feeling pretty good about it :yay:

This might not seem like much to some, but I fancy sharing anyway! Just deadlifted 5 reps of 100KG as well as squatting my BW for 5x5 reps, and feeling pretty good about it :yay:

That's awesome! Well done. :D

You into lifting now?

That's awesome! Well done. :D

You into lifting now?

Yeah! Thanks man :)

I started Stronglifts 5x5 in February, only missed one session so far. First exercise regime I've actually stuck with for a reasonable length of time. I started everything at the lowest as suggested by the app/spreadsheets, so I've worked my way from 40KG to 100KG on deadlift. Not failed deadlifts so far but feels like it's on its way. I don't really mind, it was boring when I never failed, no way of knowing if that was the best I could do.

Yesterday I just managed 5x5 my BW in squats, if I had failed even one, it would've been the third strike and a deload. (Partly, I was secretly hoping that might happen, mfw I got 5x5)

OHP and bench are lagging behind but improving.

Feels good brah!

Edited by Shorty

Yeah! Thanks man :)

I started Stronglifts 5x5 in February, only missed one session so far. First exercise regime I've actually stuck with for a reasonable length of time. I started everything at the lowest as suggested by the app/spreadsheets, so I've worked my way from 40KG to 100KG on deadlift. Not failed deadlifts so far but feels like it's on its way. I don't really mind, it was boring when I never failed, no way of knowing if that was the best I could do.

Yesterday I just managed 5x5 my BW in squats, if I had failed even one, it would've been the third strike and a deload. (Partly, I was secretly hoping that might happen, mfw I got 5x5)

OHP and bench are lagging behind but improving.

Feels good brah!

Well done. :D

Yeah, it feels great, doesn't it? There's something really rewarding about completing that final rep, it's a huge release and a great feeling. There's something special about squats...it feels really dangerous. Especially when you get to that point where your legs start to shake or you feel like you're going to die midway through the set, but you push through it and complete it.

I had a decent day yesterday. Squatted 103kg with ease 5x5, a day after (well, hours I guess) after 2 hours of football. Should maybe have gone for more but I hadn't squatted for a week due to work being hectic, so I'm going to be super strict with this and get back on it. Hoping to get past that 110kg barrier soon and push it further.

The biggest success was with the overhead press where I lifted 47kg 5x5, again with ease. It's the highest I've ever personally lifted but it felt like I was lifting nothing yesterday, which is fucking strange as it's by far my weakest lift and I always seem to struggle on it.

Managed 145.5kg on the deadlifts, which was another new personal best for me, but my grip was super shit. By the time I felt a bit more comfortable with the grip, the set was over. Hoping to do better next time, because I can handle the weight, just my grip let me down.

I've been looking into StrongLifts of late. He recommends to start at 50% of your five max rep if you've been weight training for a while. That seems really small to me and almost like going backwards. I do like the structure of the program though and although the weight seems small, it's probably building that foundation strength.

Bitches, I need some help.

I've been using standard weight plates and bars since I started, mainly because I had no intention of going down the home gym route and initially used it to supplement my time at the time. It was originally just meant to be for a few curls here and there, but the set occasionally got bigger and bigger, with the bench, squat stands, bigger plates, etc. I continued down the standard route and didn't really have a need to switch.

Well, that time has come. My bar has now got a noticeable bend in it and it's become clear that I've reached the end of the road with standard weights as there aren't really any bars out there that can hold the weight beyond this point. So, I'm looking at moving on my weights and buying the olympic set.

This is the set that I'm looking at. It's pretty cheap and it'll give me roughly what I've got already in terms of plates but in Olympic form, so I won't need to buy much more than this. The only question I have is...is there a real downside to going down the tri-grip route? It's a pain trying to find the difference in dimensions between tri grip and normal...

This is the set that I'm looking at. It's pretty cheap and it'll give me roughly what I've got already in terms of plates but in Olympic form, so I won't need to buy much more than this. The only question I have is...is there a real downside to going down the tri-grip route? It's a pain trying to find the difference in dimensions between tri grip and normal...

I doubt there would be a difference, I had a very similar set, different brand but otherwise identical, and I believe the 20kg plates were of the standard weight plate size, ie they positioned the bar at the appropriate deadlift height. Assuming you're not deadlifting less than 60kg the size of the smaller plates won't matter. Of course you might clean a lighter bar for presses or front squats but I should think you'll be fine cleaning a light bar from any deficit the smaller plates cause.

Edit: just to clairy, when i say "were of the standard weight plate size", I didn't mean standard as in non-olympic size, I ment the generally accepted standard height of a 20kg weight plate.

I think the tri-grip style plates are pretty cool. When I had them I used to use them for other exercises, like rear delt flies with the small ones. You can also do things like swings, turkish get ups and 'bottom up' presses. And the 20kg plates are good for loading step ups and doing light farmers walks, the handles on them are much thicker than dumbbell handles so they hammer your grip. There was an article on tnation if you're interested for alternative uses of these types of plates. https://www.t-nation.com/training/plates-work-better-than-kettlebells I'm actually starting to miss them now.

I've been looking into StrongLifts of late. He recommends to start at 50% of your five max rep if you've been weight training for a while. That seems really small to me and almost like going backwards. I do like the structure of the program though and although the weight seems small, it's probably building that foundation strength.

It may just be assuming that newcomers to stronglifts were previously training 'commercial fitness centre/bodybuilding style', using smith-machines, and higher rep schemes etc, and perhaps using questionable non-stronglift approved form (which they'd need to relearn from stronglifts). Because of this advising to start with super low weight is probably just Mehdi (?) just covering himself from these people injuring themselves and claiming the program is dangerous.

As for me I'm just starting to experiment with deadlifts again, did about 70kg the other day and it felt really heavy, I've turned into such a week bitch haha.

Edited by pratty
Automerged Doublepost

I doubt there would be a difference, I had a very similar set, different brand but otherwise identical, and I believe the 20kg plates were of the standard weight plate size, ie they positioned the bar at the appropriate deadlift height. Assuming you're not deadlifting less than 60kg the size of the smaller plates won't matter. Of course you might clean a lighter bar for presses or front squats but I should think you'll be fine cleaning a light bar from any deficit the smaller plates cause.

Edit: just to clairy, when i say "were of the standard weight plate size", I didn't mean standard as in non-olympic size, I ment the generally accepted standard height of a 20kg weight plate.

I think the tri-grip style plates are pretty cool. When I had them I used to use them for other exercises, like rear delt flies with the small ones. You can also do things like swings, turkish get ups and 'bottom up' presses. And the 20kg plates are good for loading step ups and doing light farmers walks, the handles on them are much thicker than dumbbell handles so they hammer your grip. There was an article on tnation if you're interested for alternative uses of these types of plates. https://www.t-nation.com/training/plates-work-better-than-kettlebells I'm actually starting to miss them now.

It may just be assuming that newcomers to stronglifts were previously training 'commercial fitness centre/bodybuilding style', using smith-machines, and higher rep schemes etc, and perhaps using questionable non-stronglift approved form (which they'd need to relearn from stronglifts). Because of this advising to start with super low weight is probably just Mehdi (?) just covering himself from these people injuring themselves and claiming the program is dangerous.

As for me I'm just starting to experiment with deadlifts again, did about 70kg the other day and it felt really heavy, I've turned into such a week bitch haha.

Did you use these plates for deadlifting? If so, can you confirm it was roughly the same height?

Question regarding the build quality of the plates: Is there a greater risk of them breaking in the middle, those tri "handles" due to its structure?

Would you recommend that set or is it best going for the "normal" style plates?

You won't believe how hard it is trying to find the dimensions of these plates...

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Did you use these plates for deadlifting? If so, can you confirm it was roughly the same height?

Question regarding the build quality of the plates: Is there a greater risk of them breaking in the middle, those tri "handles" due to its structure?

Would you recommend that set or is it best going for the "normal" style plates?

You won't believe how hard it is trying to find the dimensions of these plates...

Yeah I deadlifted with them. I never directly compared them because I assumed they were the same size, but I owned these 20kg olympic tri-grip plates and a set of 20kg plates with the smaller 'standard' diametre holes at the same time, and never noticed a difference in bar height, if there was a difference there couldn't be much in it.

I would assume that if the dimensions aren't listed it's because the 20kg plates are the correct generally accepted size, and the size of the other plates are subsequently of no consequence (assuming you're using the 20s for deadlifts). If you want piece of mind before dropping £278 though, you should probably just email the retailer and get confirmation from them.

I actually never used the weights on a hard floor so breaking was never a concern, so I can't really comment for sure on their durability vs regular plates, but if you're not dropping the bar then I can't imagine them breaking.

I like the versatility of the tri-grip as I mentioned, but to be honest as that's by far a secondary concern to their primary purpose, I'd probably just go with whichever type is cheapest, but that's just me.

Yeah I deadlifted with them. I never directly compared them because I assumed they were the same size, but I owned these 20kg olympic tri-grip plates and a set of 20kg plates with the smaller 'standard' diametre holes at the same time, and never noticed a difference in bar height, if there was a difference there couldn't be much in it.

I would assume that if the dimensions aren't listed it's because the 20kg plates are the correct generally accepted size, and the size of the other plates are subsequently of no consequence (assuming you're using the 20s for deadlifts). If you want piece of mind before dropping £278 though, you should probably just email the retailer and get confirmation from them.

I actually never used the weights on a hard floor so breaking was never a concern, so I can't really comment for sure on their durability vs regular plates, but if you're not dropping the bar then I can't imagine them breaking.

I like the versatility of the tri-grip as I mentioned, but to be honest as that's by far a secondary concern to their primary purpose, I'd probably just go with whichever type is cheapest, but that's just me.

The tri grip weights are the cheapest, so I may just go for it.

Thaaaaanks. Feels kinda nice thinking about having a sturdy barbell. When I was squatting with my current bar, part of me was worried about the bend. Think I'll just go for the tri grip weights.

Just ran 6.3km in 45 minutes. It's a start.

Will probably take part in a 5.5km run in July. Not sure what goal I should set myself...

Anybody have any idea what time is realistic with a bit of training (i.e. 3-4 runs per week...2 longer/slower runs and 2 high intensity interval runs)?

I've managed to bring my weight down to over a stone less than my maximum, which is 8 pounds since the start of the year.

I can definitely see a difference. Still work to go though, mainly getting rid of my love handles.

Now I've moved job and city I've lost my exercise routine (as it was largely based around playing football). So I need to be careful not to put it back on and try and find my routine again (I've already joined the casual footy at work, and I'm signing up to the work gym (£70 a year - bargain) next week so I need to work out a routine for that.

I reckon I could have my beach body ready by December.