NEurope
Cube

Star Fox Zero

I still disagree.

There's only so much fixing patches and DLC can do. Rushing dodgy core gameplay out is something that can't be fixed. Let's say Starfox Zero was released this year: terrible visuals, poor cutscenes, uninspired boss battles. None of those would be fixed down the line. The quote still applies. Being able to update a game with DLC won't suddenly make a bad game good.

So irrelevant they've sold 15 million action figures in nine months based on their world renowned IP. I was thinking the other day that it was strange that Sony, with the 20 year old Playstation brand, barely has a recognisable character of their own. Crash? Drake? You might get a few people off the street to recognise the former.

A bad game can be patched into something better. Drive Club started badly and was made better. You do realise you can patch anything right? It's obviously more focused on functionality/bugs, but you could patch better storylines if you wanted (and let's face it, SFZ is hardly going to have the story of the century). There is a difference between patching and DLC.

That "irrelevant" comment was clearly a joke, hence using the Easy A gif. Sheesh.

(and arguably the concept of a mascot is itself dying due to the increase of media; look at how classic Disney characters are still stable but newer ones, and characters from other studios, don't quite have the same stick in general)

A bad game can be patched into something a little less bad. The core game will remain, unless you're patching the entire concept and gameplay, which doesn't really happen. Yes you could rewrite the whole thing but that happens so rarely that it doesn't really apply, and certainly not enough to justify calling Miyamoto's quote out of date.

I'm not so sure about your last paragraph either, but I'll bow to your superior knowledge on that one. I'm just surprised in 20 years Playstation doesn't have much of an identity, character wise at least, apart from the brand name itself.

I guess this is the big point though, Nintendo seem to be hinting at just polishing it all up a bit. Which can be patched. Or are they changing the way the game plays? We don't know.

As for @Ashley's last paragraph, slight contradiction, if they're irrelevant then even the classic ones wouldn't be important; they're clearly not irrelevant, but then that new ones don't stick... Maybe, but isn't that hard to say? Don't we only know way into the future? Who's t say the frozen characters won't stay incredibly popular, I think they will, same with Inside Out characters? Who's to say the splatoon characters won't be around in 20 years with loads of affection attached to them.

A bad game can be patched into something a little less bad. The core game will remain, unless you're patching the entire concept and gameplay, which doesn't really happen. Yes you could rewrite the whole thing but that happens so rarely that it doesn't really apply, and certainly not enough to justify calling Miyamoto's quote out of date.

I'm not so sure about your last paragraph either, but I'll bow to your superior knowledge on that one. I'm just surprised in 20 years Playstation doesn't have much of an identity, character wise at least, apart from the brand name itself.

I said the quote is become less relevant, not it's out of date.

Maybe I'm just narked that every time a game is delayed for Nintendo it's justified by that quote.

And the weird thing is PlayStation is the brand, and a very successful one, but yes they've had a lot less success with mascots. But then that arguably is part of the decreasing use of mascots. Even Japan, a country with a mascot for near everything, is reducing them.

I don't have the time nor desire to look into it, but would you not agree that generally mascots are down but brands are up? The focus seems to have shifted but there are some last remnants (Disney and Nintendo primarily) that still have strong mascot sticking power and I doubt they will ever die out. They're just not being joint by new ones. And perhaps that's why PlayStation doesn't have a set of 'key' characters - its not that they're not successful at it (although that might be true) it's that there's less appeal in them and it's a time and place kind of thing.

As for @Ashley's last paragraph, slight contradiction, if they're irrelevant then even the classic ones wouldn't be important; they're clearly not irrelevant, but then that new ones don't stick... Maybe, but isn't that hard to say? Don't we only know way into the future? Who's t say the frozen characters won't stay incredibly popular, I think they will, same with Inside Out characters? Who's to say the splatoon characters won't be around in 20 years with loads of affection attached to them.

I'm sure research has been done to it but really look around in the Disney store - you have the new films, all the Marvel/Star Wars stuff and other than that it's the classic characters. Even really popular films in the last few decades may still have merch out from time to time, but the characters seem to have become less of a cultural icon. Lion King was huge and people of a certain generation will remember it fondly, but it doesn't have the same cultural soft power as Mickey.

These are all just musings. I don't really care.

I said the quote is become less relevant, not it's out of date.

Maybe I'm just narked that every time a game is delayed for Nintendo it's justified by that quote.

And the weird thing is PlayStation is the brand, and a very successful one, but yes they've had a lot less success with mascots. But then that arguably is part of the decreasing use of mascots. Even Japan, a country with a mascot for near everything, is reducing them.

I don't have the time nor desire to look into it, but would you not agree that generally mascots are down but brands are up? The focus seems to have shifted but there are some last remnants (Disney and Nintendo primarily) that still have strong mascot sticking power and I doubt they will ever die out. They're just not being joint by new ones. And perhaps that's why PlayStation doesn't have a set of 'key' characters - its not that they're not successful at it (although that might be true) it's that there's less appeal in them and it's a time and place kind of thing.

I'm sure research has been done to it but really look around in the Disney store - you have the new films, all the Marvel/Star Wars stuff and other than that it's the classic characters. Even really popular films in the last few decades may still have merch out from time to time, but the characters seem to have become less of a cultural icon. Lion King was huge and people of a certain generation will remember it fondly, but it doesn't have the same cultural soft power as Mickey.

These are all just musings. I don't really care.

I dont really care either. But I guess your point emphasises that mascots are important. As mickey is still huge, lion king doesn't have a mascot. But then I would say jack skellington is, and he's huge. But yeah, it's not that interesting.

I dont really care either. But I guess your point emphasises that mascots are important. As mickey is still huge, lion king doesn't have a mascot. But then I would say jack skellington is, and he's huge. But yeah, it's not that interesting.

My point was newer attempts at mascots aren't as successful. Essentially we've hit a quota on mascots (and did some time ago) and new attempts don't stick. Not that mascots don't matter.

Injecting a Platinum feel to the game would be good. The game is in desperate need of some (original) personality.

Rumoured 26th february for Europe. Are 3 months enough to make major changes?

Probably not, I can't see the thing being saved for me personally after the Hyper Japan demo, it just felt completely hideous to play.

Seems like there might be online capabilities after all:

Earlier today we highlighted the fact that the Star Fox Zero official website has some lovely wallpapers to download that help ease the pain of its delay into Q1 2016. Sure, it'd have been nice to play the game this festive season, but putting one of these on our desktop will cheer us up in the meantime.

The official website is thin on detail, but some of its smaller text - as can often be the case with early Nintendo game pages - has captured the imagination of fans. The pertinent text is below.

Game, system and amiibo sold separately. Compatibility and functionality of amiibo may vary by game. Visit amiibo.com for specific details on how each amiibo works.

Broadband Internet access required for online features. For more info, go to support.nintendo.com.

It's a no-brainer that there'll be some use of amiibo in the game, we'd think, simply due to the fact that we already have Fox and Falco figures either on the market or coming soon. It's the online features aspect that is perhaps most exciting, assuming it's not simply there for bog-standard Miiverse support.

A form of online play could certainly be interesting to see, should it come to pass - will the confirmed co-op have an online option, or could there be online dog-fights reminiscent of the local-only multiplayer mode seen in Star Fox 64 3D?

Right now only Nintendo and PlatinumGames know. We can only speculate, so how would you like to see amiibo and internet play utilised in Star Fox Zero?

From NintendoLife and the officiel SFZ website.( http://starfoxzero.nintendo.com/ )

I really hope that online multiplayer is some extra content we'll see as a result of the delay. The local multiplayer in Starfox 3D was so awesome and even though it was one of my first 3DS experiences, it's still my favourite to this day. I remember reading an interview with one of the lead people for the game (no idea who it was) saying that they would have loved to put online into the 3DS title but it was merely cut because of time-constraints.

Whilst I was peeved at the time, it was understandable because as far as I'm aware, the 3DS struggle and lack of software on release was the core reason for the remake in the first place. Hopefully they can finally fulfill the online multiplayer dream with this entry.

Either way, online or not, I'm really looking forward to this game despite the general negative feel most people have towards it. I've always just loved the camp nature and non-serious attitude of the Starfox world. The gameplay is fun and arcadey and I always love the cheesy voice acting.

I'm actually hoping that the online capabilities are decent leaderboards. Not really shitty ones like Mario Kart 8, though.

Here's a nice analysis of the Nintendo Direct footage done by Nintendo World Report...

Huge improvement on the visual front since E3 :) And it's only going to get even better from now until the Spring release date!

I watched that video earlier as it has just reconfirmed in my mind that the game will look so much better by the time it has been hopefully polished to the Nth degree by the time it launches. ;)

Apparently the footage looks even better when viewed on the Wii U console from the videos on the eShop too, I shall be checking that out in a bit. :)

New footage...

Interestingly it looks like they've gone back to the usual Starfox way of handling the cursor. In the E3 demo, your aiming was independent of your ship's position (ALA Sin & Punishment), but now it's tied to your ship's position, just like every other Starfox game.

Also the bombs are back. Wow, that E3 demo really must've been a very early build if we're seeing fundamental differences like this.

They've changed the HUD as well. The Hit counter is a blatant riff on Metal Gear Rising's logo now :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

New footage...

Interestingly it looks like they've gone back to the usual Starfox way of handling the cursor. In the E3 demo, your aiming was independent of your ship's position (ALA Sin & Punishment), but now it's tied to your ship's position, just like every other Starfox game.

Also the bombs are back. Wow, that E3 demo really must've been a very early build if we're seeing fundamental differences like this.

They did say at E3 that you didn't have to use the second screen aiming if you didn't want to :)

Also has Nintendo Network logo, does this ever happen if it doesn't have online?!

Yeah.

238323_front.jpg

That is, if you meant online multiplayer.

Yeah.

238323_front.jpg

That is, if you meant online multiplayer.

Dammit. What the hell does that have? The lobby?! At least it's SOMETHING though. Star Fox doesn't have anything confirmed.

Dammit. What the hell does that have? The lobby?! At least it's SOMETHING though. Star Fox doesn't have anything confirmed.

Probably just means Miiverse support. :D

Probably just means Miiverse support. :D

Still uses the Nintendo Network to pull in the Miis and their posts :p