NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

:hmm: £12.95.....thats too much they should be sub £10 (aren't they $10 so thats around £6.90) if they want people to jump in to a new product they need to make them more affordable

£180 for all of those. I'll hold out until Nintendo convince me to buy one I think!

You don't have to buy all of them. :p There's probably a lot more if they are doing one for each Smash character.

You don't have to buy all of them. :p There's probably a lot more if they are doing one for each Smash character.

Indeed, much like games, you don't have to buy all the games available for any given system.

I imagine these are the first batch, more will release when sales drop a little. But I do want to know what they actually are, what they bring to the table that makes them worth the asking price.

So if Smash Bros. for Wii U does get delayed to 2015 (I said IF @Serebii :heh:) I wonder if Nintendo will bring forward the use of amiibo for Mario Kart 8.

It seems a bit strange how MK8 is compatible with amiibo, but Smash will be the first game to make use of it. :blank:

Why not release amiibo for the game that's already out, and that over 2 million people already own? ::shrug:

So if Smash Bros. for Wii U does get delayed to 2015 (I said IF @Serebii :heh:) I wonder if Nintendo will bring forward the use of Amiibo for Mario Kart 8.

It seems a bit strange how MK8 is compatible with Amiibo, but Smash will be the first game to make use of it. :blank:

Why not release Amiibo for the game that's already out, and that over 2 million people already own? ::shrug:

Depends on whether or not the MK8 DLC would be ready in time or not... Still, I have to imagine that they have some kind of backup plan in place here (and the MK8 Amiibo DLC is the most logical component of that backup plan)... SURELY they must!?

Hell, if worst comes to the worst and desperation kicks in, they could always release the Amiibo toys by themselves... before the actual game content is ready...

Depends on whether or not the MK8 DLC would be ready in time or not... Still, I have to imagine that they have some kind of backup plan in place here (and the MK8 Amiibo DLC is the most logical component of that backup plan)... SURELY they must!?
I hope so. Just give me playable Birdo, Nintendo! :laughing:

Seriously though, how hard can it be to get some DLC sorted? :blank:

There are times when I'm simply astonished at how slowly Nintendo work. I know they focus on quality and like to strive for perfection, but when you consider the size of the company and the workforce involved... It boggles my mind. :wtf:

What are they doing over there?

*Meanwhile at Nintendo GIF* :heh:

Price is too expensive. I've recently been collecting the Disney Infinity figures. They were more expensive at launch no doubt, but they've quite often been on 3 for 2 deals and you can pick up quite a few of them now for a fiver each (even that is quite expensive for what is essentially character DLC with a bit of plastic, but I can't help but collect!) Hopefully the same sort of deals happen with amiibo. I can't see myself picking up many at all if they stay at that price. They really should launch at 9.99 each, at most.

idk, if the quality is really like the ones they showed off at E3, the price seems reasonable for me.

Can't wait to get my hands on the villager and toon link :)

I'd like some, but then I'd have to get them all and that's a lot of money I could be spending on better man toys like LEGO.

idk, if the quality is really like the ones they showed off at E3, the price seems reasonable for me.

Can't wait to get my hands on the villager and toon link :)

I just want the Greninja one. Solely because it's Greninja, and Greninja is awesome.

So can we expect at some point a game like Infinity and Skylanders that's truly built around these figures and does something really interesting?

So can we expect at some point a game like Infinity and Skylanders that's truly built around these figures and does something really interesting?

Course not :p

So...what exactly do these things do? I have Mario Kart, I'll be getting Smash Bros. If I were to buy one of these (say, a Mario), what does it do exactly?

I'm hugely sceptical about this because I think it would be something that would just sit on my shelf a few months after buying it, within view of the balance board, wiimotionplus attachment, superscope, transfer pak and wiispeak.

So...what exactly do these things do? I have Mario Kart, I'll be getting Smash Bros. If I were to buy one of these (say, a Mario), what does it do exactly?

I'm hugely sceptical about this because I think it would be something that would just sit on my shelf a few months after buying it, within view of the balance board, wiimotionplus attachment, superscope, transfer pak and wiispeak.

smash bros they said you can train it. From what I gather, it's almost like a "pet" mario/what ever character/s you happen to have. You train it up, tell it what to do, take care of it and make it awesome. I guess in splatton for example, maybe you could have your amiibo go into battle with you, in mariokart, maybe in battle mode you could play against a friend, but have teams, and in each of your teams you have your amiibo's that you have made battle ready. So basically a little like Pokemon. except a bit closer to reality.

In mario strikers your team mates could be your amiibos. In Animal crossing, they could be living in your town with you (you actually get to be friends with them :S)

In an RPG they could be your fellow adventurers.

There could be cross game competencies, so skills gained in one game could allow your amiibo to apply the same skill in a similar situation in another game... say splatoon, accuracy could result in improved use of the green shell in mario kart (clutching at straws here).

Most of this is pure speculation. I may ask to get one for Christmas. Or more likely my Birthday. But only when your answers have been answered firmly. For the time being I see it as a quirky toy to play with in smash bros, so it's value in my mind sits at about £2-3, depending on the quality of the physical toy, and implementation into the game. If Nintendo want me to pay more, they'll need to make it compelling in a range of games I will own!

Essentially though when you boil it down, the NFC tech in each figure is just an unlock key as I understand it, so if additional content is to be programmed into other games released after Super Smash Bros then the content will be already in the games, your figure is merely the key to unlocking them; a small bit of data may be written to them for Smash Bros but beyond that, who knows? ::shrug:

What would actually be stopping people from just swapping figures in order to unlock the content instead of buying more? :heh:

Essentially though when you boil it down, the NFC tech in each figure is just an unlock key as I understand it, so if additional content is to be programmed into other games released after Super Smash Bros then the content will be already in the games, your figure is merely the key to unlocking them; a small bit of data may be written to them for Smash Bros but beyond that, who knows? ::shrug:

What would actually be stopping people from just swapping figures in order to unlock the content instead of buying more? :heh:

It's not just an unlock key, you can save customisations

But what I mean is, couldn't you effectively just borrow someone's Amiibo figure in order to use it just to unlock content in a new game regardless of the other data saved on it?

Though this is Nintendo we are talking about, so perhaps they will find some way of locking it to a certain number of consoles. :indeed:

But what I mean is, couldn't you effectively just borrow someone's Amiibo figure in order to use it just to unlock content in a new game regardless of the other data saved on it?

Though this is Nintendo we are talking about, so perhaps they will find some way of locking it to a certain number of consoles. :indeed:

Region locked figures incoming.

Well the idea is for you to take it to your friends to carry your customisations, so there's no way in hell they'd add a block to it.

Hell, Pokémon Rumble U's figures had no block whatsoever. Used my Japanese figures on my English games with ease.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a block though. Say I the figures unlock dlc on mario kart, we wont want to use the figure every time we play it, and they won't want us giving them to our mates to unlock them. With it being readable and write able, it can probably say what console has activated it, maybe... Or maybe they won't be used in this way... W uldnt surprise me if Nintendo gimped them to the extent of being pointless. It's smash usage is awful!

While the figures themselves look lovely, Nintendo have yet to show me some substantial from them. I'm hoping they have some bigger and better plans for them. It still baffles me why they've taken this route. Why not creates game around them and then have them branch off in to other games?

Exactly. One title which REALLY uses them, then additional benefits in others. But the worlds most basic tamagotchi is something I will never ever use... I want real value! Dreading what they're going to do...

Exactly. One title which REALLY uses them, then additional benefits in others. But the worlds most basic tamagotchi is something I will never ever use... I want real value! Dreading what they're going to do...

I miss when you guys were optimistic and had faith