NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

what really did anyone expect from NFC with nintendo? let alone any company? they've copied whats been done and worked? did you expect full blown action figures? what seriously did people expect from NFC on a game console?
I don't expect... but I'm hoping far more for something more similar to the Disney Infinity toybox and being able to interact character universes.

If these figures resemble the in-game trophies, I'll be grabbing at least a few. Okay with them holding character data too, more thing anything I'm just curious how this will play out.

In all probability, a lot of people will buy the figures without ever using them as NFC's. After all, it might be the first time that we can buy "toys" of many Nintendo characters and props. And since they'll fill a function in games, they'll be made in larger numbers than normal and thus sold at lower prices.

Don't people realise that holding your character's individual data is exactly what the Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures do? And they've been a massive success. Yes, I hope there's another game built around NFC too, but to see them introduced in Smash Bros, which will probably be an optional feature like Pokemon Rumble U, is a good thing in my opinion and will differentiate it from the 3DS version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are for the utterly unpopular Wii U, right? Or at least just Nintendo consoles. That's the major differentiator between this and the already very successful Skylanders. Parents will buy kids the thing for the console they already own (Skylanders) or the thing that kids want because their friends already have it (which again, will probably be Skylanders).

Nintendo is a strong brand with a loyal fan base but kids today aren't as loyal to it as you might think. The vast majority of kids want Minecraft, League of Legends and app games. Many couldn't care less about Nintendo.

For what it's worth, Skylanders sold best on the Wii. I know that's a console with a massive install base compared to the Wii U, but still, it shows things like this can work on a Nintendo console. Marketed correctly, this could drive console sales if kids want it. I know kids may not have an as strong affinity to Nintendo, but they didn't to Skylanders or Minecraft etc before they existed - figures like this could get the new generation into Nintendo if they want the figures and other friends are collecting them.

It seems in some peoples eyes, Nintendo are damned if they do, damned if they don't. At least they're trying to do something which has proven very successful so far. Maybe it's too late, but don't write it off when it hasn't even been announced or shown yet.

For what it's worth, Skylanders sold best on the Wii. I know that's a console with a massive install base compared to the Wii U, but still, it shows things like this can work on a Nintendo console.

All that shows is that the most popular console had the most game sales on it. Now the situation is entirely reversed.

At a time when people had largely moved on from the Wii. Still, I think you're too quick to write things off, why does it have to be about how successful it is in terms of sales rather than how good this could actually be?

I don't think they had moved on from the Wii totally, rather it remained sitting under the TV for occasional Wii Sports and Mario Kart in many a household. So it was already there for when something did come along. That something required no fancy online or graphics and was for kids, so unlike other multiplatform games there was no real advantage to getting it on another console, so the console with the bigger install base sold more. Contrast this to where people don't already have (and mostly don't want) the Wii U, and can get Skylanders already on another or past gen console.

I don't have any personal interest in this if it's supposed to be like Skylanders, since that's essentially targeted at kids. So for me, I'm looking at it totally from a success perspective. How popular it becomes will influence console sales, which in turn could bring in developer support.

Edited by Sheikah

Infinity has shown that there is more NFC pie to be had. Nintendo making toys just seems perfect too.

Cross gaming is what makes me interested in this. Could be sweet with certain genres such as RPG's too. Bring link into X? Sure, use the figure. Bring Diddy Kong into Mario Kart? Done.

NFC in RPG's? sounds good, pokemon the obvious choice but i could see that being an option for items? summons?

Infinity has shown that there is more NFC pie to be had. Nintendo making toys just seems perfect too.

Cross gaming is what makes me interested in this. Could be sweet with certain genres such as RPG's too. Bring link into X? Sure, use the figure. Bring Diddy Kong into Mario Kart? Done.

As long as Link doesn't look too feminine!

I'm part excited for this and part dreading it... I really don't know what to expect... Just do t think smash is the best franchise to launch it... Use it. Fine. But there needs to be its skylaners/infinity that makes them essential.

Interesting to see this discussion has been detailed to sales talk yet again rather than how we feel about figurines and potential games ideas... Barely used this place for a couple of weeks... Same old same old...

Interesting to see this discussion has been detailed to sales talk yet again rather than how we feel about figurines and potential games ideas... Barely used this place for a couple of weeks... Same old same old...

Nah, it's now discussions about gender. We're done with sales :P

I wish... :blank:

Smash Bros makes perfect sense to start off their NFC initiative, considering that these figurines are going to be used in future games (after all, Smash does celebrate the entirety of Nintendo's history, so it marks a starting point for potentially every single Nintendo series).

The question here though is how future games might incorporate the stats and stuff carried over from SSB Wii U...

How popular it becomes will influence console sales, which in turn could bring in developer support.

Just wanted to say this is one of the points I initially made, but you seemed to write off any prospect of it being a success. To be honest, I think its success does ride on how good the toys are/how well they're marketed/shelf space they get/whether they're desirable to kids, rather than how good the game is itself. If Nintendo get the toy aspect right, it could really help Wii U sales. I too question whether that'll happen or not, but wait until it does fail before writing it off and saying people will just stick to Skylanders.

Liking tapedeck's ideas about cross play. Whether there'd be enough depth in these games to carry across info from one to another is a bigger question, but there are definitely big opportunities to make NFC a bigger deal if it becomes a success rather than solely being a collectible that works with a single game.

Just wanted to say this is one of the points I initially made, but you seemed to write off any prospect of it being a success.

This is not the point you made. The point I made was that I don't think it will particularly be a big success (not on a level like Skylanders), which will ultimately not bring in the userbase/developer support. Hence, my negative view of it - I neither personally see the appeal of the product nor do I see it being particularly successful (the latter would have a positive impact on the console in other ways and so I would still appreciate it).

Your point was that you could see it being potentially successful due to how the similar Skylanders went down so we shouldn't write it off. I don't see it being that successful, thus my stance is essentially counter to yours.

To think of a comparable situation - Sony All Stars Battle Royale. Even though it turned out to be a decent game, before the game was released I did not see it having anywhere near the same appeal as Smash. Sony essentially saw a successful game series and copied it. It feels somewhat like that here - the signs are there (locked to Wii U/Nintendo, late to the party, requires purchase of an extra machine that people don't really want, somewhat clunky implementation).

I don't think it's particularly unreasonable to comment unfavourably on an idea that I neither like the sound of, nor see it doing all too well.

I too question whether that'll happen or not, but wait until it does fail before writing it off and saying people will just stick to Skylanders.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with speculating about how you think a product will turn out based on the company history/tendencies, the product features, strength of the competition and the current demand/likes of the main target audience. Hell, if we didn't, this forum would be dull as fuck.

Edited by Sheikah

Marketed correctly, this could drive console sales if kids want it.

I don't know how that isn't the same point, but looking positively rather than negatively. But whatever. Its your tone of negativity that tinges every post and scepticism to everything that draws people into these big debates! When you come in to something and start off with -

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are for the utterly unpopular Wii U, right?

It sets everything off on a bad note. It rubs people up the wrong way. Its aggressive. We know the Wii U isn't doing well, no need for such hyperbole all the time.

It is alright to have concerns about it - you make good points about it being locked to one console and being a bit late, but the market for these figures shows no sign of slowing down yet. Clunky implementation - how the hell do you know that?

I have no idea how well this will do, its too early to know. I hope it does well, you may be right and it may not be very popular at all. You may not be interested, that's fine. Marketed correctly I think many will be. I think it's just unfair to write it off before we even know anything concrete about it. This has the possibility of going round in circles again and again, so this will be my last post about its potential success, which we undoubtedly disagree on. I hope, for the sake of the Wii U, you are totally wrong about it ;)

Its your tone of negativity that tinges every post and scepticism to everything that draws people into these big debates!

I am very outspoken about this sort of criticism - it doesn't matter whether my post is negative or positive, so long as I make valid points on the topic (which I have). It also shouldn't matter to anyone else if someone is negative - it's not your view, and you shouldn't try to tell people off for thinking differently. I've said it before, but if people really have issues dealing with negativity to a console they own, there is always the ignore list.

It sets everything off on a bad note. It rubs people up the wrong way. Its aggressive. We know the Wii U isn't doing well, no need for such hyperbole all the time.

I don't think it did it all. Sure the language was blunt, but for whatever reason you were overlooking the differences between this and Skylanders when I was explaining my reasoning, so blunt it was.

I think it's just unfair to write it off before we even know anything concrete about it.

I don't see what is wrong about taking the information that is currently available (most notably that this is creeping into Skylanders territory and locked to a system) and gauging whether you think it will do well or not. It's interesting to hold your thoughts to an outcome as opposed to fence-sitting. Nobody is saying it 100% can't be hugely successful; I'm saying that I don't think it will be.

Its the blunt language to be honest, its not needed. Negativity is fine, as I said it is fine for you to believe it will fail. As it is fine for me to think that you are being very premature in your opinions.

But it really comes across aggressive, and that's why you get this kind of response from many people. And that was your first post in this thread, so we hadn't even debated anything on this subject previously, so I wasn't overlooking anything you'd previously said. Same with Serebii and his hyperbole on the positive end of the spectrum, I think you'd get a lot more respect for your points if you weren't so aggressive and used less language like "utterly unpopular Wii U". You are clearly an intelligent guy with reasoned opinions, but your manner in discussion can be very rude which can put people off the points you are making.

Two things wrong with that - it was my third post in the thread and I never said I believe it'll fail, just that I don't see it being the big deal that Skylanders is.

I think you are making a massive deal out of a single word, to be honest. Remove 'utterly' and it wouldn't have even been an issue. If the Wii U really wasn't doing so badly then I wouldn't have used the word; my intention was really to ring home the point that given how unpopular the Wii U was, I don't see this being as successful as Skylanders. Not to troll Nintendo loyalists.

Jesus - do you always have to have the last word? Can you not see how people can be annoyed by your input? I think Mr Paul is being very diplomatic.

Your first post was:

I'll be surprised if this takes off in any significant way to be honest.

Without knowing much about it. That can be annoying. Do you really want people to ignore your posts going forward? Why even be on a forum then?

Anyway, NFC.... thinking about it - the potential can be endless!!! Could mean whole new characters in a game.

zelda__phantom__hour_glass_figures.jpg

Edited by King_V

Jesus - do you always have to have the last word? Can you not see how people can be annoyed by your input? I think Mr Paul is being very diplomatic.

Without knowing much about it. That can be annoying. Do you really want people to ignore your posts going forward? Why even be on a forum then?

I think some people here become irritated too easily over the most trivial things, yourself being a noteworthy example. What is everyone's beef? Who cares if I put 'utterly' in front of 'unpopular'? The points I made were valid, and I expressed them well.

What if instead of just unlocking characters in Smash in the usual way, we required figures instead? Engaging kids and the core alike.

Money bags right there.

Anyway, NFC.... thinking about it - the potential can be endless!!! Could mean whole new characters in a game.

zelda__phantom__hour_glass_figures.jpg

Ahh crap these figures are gonna be so enticing! :D

What if instead of just unlocking characters in Smash in the usual way, we required figures instead? Engaging kids and the core alike.

Money bags right there.

Hmm, they have to be careful, fans are very outspoken about things like that... like when Forza 5 stuffed all of it's best cars etc... behind microtransactions. Obviously you can find a balance by giving people substantial content in the first place like Disney Infinity, so yeah it depends on the game. Edited by Retro_Link

@Retro_Link You're right. Though if that balance is met - Nintendo has that magic that'll get us buying.

Imagine a Mario RPG, with the potential to have party characters such as Link and Samus....:heart:

Edited by King_V