NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

I miss when you guys were optimistic and had faith

What faith I had left was stripped away when they pushed my precious Toad to next year. :(

What faith I had left was stripped away when they pushed my precious Toad to next year. :(

To be fair, that's just Nintendo Europe being idiots, and if we make a fuss, they may revert it and we get worldwide launch back.

For the record, I'm still optimistic about Amiibos. Can't wait to see what Ninty have planned for them.

I do have to think about my wallet. Which is why I only plan to get that Greninja... At first...

I have some faith still, just that I'm trying to understand just how they are going to work while not being open to people just borrowing them to unlock content in games thus negating at least half of the point to them. :heh:

Nintendo may have some huge master plan for them yet but for all we know as of yet they are only confirmed to work with a couple of games so it does make you wonder, if for the current RRP for instance it was confirmed that there are at least five titles that you will be able to use them on including now and the future - taking 'now' to mean from Smash Bros release - then that might encourage more people to actually buy them. : peace:

Perhaps we'll get third party Amiibo's in the future too, I'd love one for Monster Hunter! :D

In Pokemon Rumble you had to scan the figure each time so depending on what they use them for they might just take the same route.

Really curious how they will be used for MK8 and Toad's Treasure Tracker.

Obviously the NFC figures being customisable (or rather the data) in Smash is also an incentive to buy your own, as mentioned.

Lucina being announced for Smash means there'll be a Lucina Amiibo, can't wait.

while not being open to people just borrowing them to unlock content in games thus negating at least half of the point to them. :heh:

Set it so unlocked content requires either the relevant amiibo to be verified on the gamepad as being currently present, or for the amiibo to be locked to a NNID. Once it is locked to an NNID it can only be used by that player/a Wii U with that NNID as one of the accounts.

smash bros they said you can train it. From what I gather, it's almost like a "pet" mario/what ever character/s you happen to have. You train it up, tell it what to do, take care of it and make it awesome. I guess in splatton for example, maybe you could have your amiibo go into battle with you, in mariokart, maybe in battle mode you could play against a friend, but have teams, and in each of your teams you have your amiibo's that you have made battle ready. So basically a little like Pokemon. except a bit closer to reality.

In mario strikers your team mates could be your amiibos. In Animal crossing, they could be living in your town with you (you actually get to be friends with them :S)

In an RPG they could be your fellow adventurers.

There could be cross game competencies, so skills gained in one game could allow your amiibo to apply the same skill in a similar situation in another game... say splatoon, accuracy could result in improved use of the green shell in mario kart (clutching at straws here).

Most of this is pure speculation. I may ask to get one for Christmas. Or more likely my Birthday. But only when your answers have been answered firmly. For the time being I see it as a quirky toy to play with in smash bros, so it's value in my mind sits at about £2-3, depending on the quality of the physical toy, and implementation into the game. If Nintendo want me to pay more, they'll need to make it compelling in a range of games I will own!

I've bolded the part that's for certain. What I find with Nintendo's peripherals is that gamers have all these expectations and cool, awesome, intense ideas that never really come into fruition. Some of which were linked to that list of peripherals that I mentioned.

Potentially it's something that they can do a lot with. But then, so is the GamePad. I can't get excited about this until I see Nintendo themselves showing off their ideas. Those Mario Kart battle-ready Amiibo's you mentioned sound cool. I'd like to see something like that. It's a bit daft that they haven't shown it off with its own game or non-game, or something. I expected them to do that.

Yes, we should just blindly follow Nintendo, because they haven't made mistakes lately. Lately being the duration of this very console's lifespan.

It's a peripheral (an expensive set of peripherals, I might add) for their overly expensive machine that isn't being marketed and is a machine that isn't selling. Let's be realistic here. Nintendo will need to be at their absolute top of their game here to even get people interested in this, market it and then keep using it over a prolonged period of time. I'm not optimistic and I don't blame many for not being that way. To many gamers, £10-12 could be spent on a separate eShop game or put towards a game purchase. This needs to be something worthwhile.

It's a peripheral (an expensive set of peripherals, I might add) for their overly expensive machine that isn't being marketed and is a machine that isn't selling. Let's be realistic here. Nintendo will need to be at their absolute top of their game here to even get people interested in this, market it and then keep using it over a prolonged period of time. I'm not optimistic and I don't blame many for not being that way. To many gamers, £10-12 could be spent on a separate eShop game or put towards a game purchase. This needs to be something worthwhile.

There's also the issue that it will be it competition with the new Marvel lineup for the Disney Infinity series. This is already been marketed ( seen an advert for this at the cinema when I seen Hercules and Guardians of the Galaxy ) and will no doubt capture a lot of the younger market, especially if the GotG sets arrive before Christmas.

Skylanders will probably have a new game out at the end of the year as well but I can't be sure what they are bringing to the table as I don't follow those games.

There's also the issue that it will be it competition with the new Marvel lineup for the Disney Infinity series. This is already been marketed ( seen an advert for this at the cinema when I seen Hercules and Guardians of the Galaxy ) and will no doubt capture a lot of the younger market, especially if the GotG sets arrive before Christmas.

Skylanders will probably have a new game out at the end of the year as well but I can't be sure what they are bringing to the table as I don't follow those games.

Marvel are doing it? Haha, shit, they're going to clean up with that. They are so "in" at the moment. They could release second hand toilet paper with the Avengers logo on or with Iron Man's face and it'll fly off the shelves. Kinda jealous for some of the kids these days, I would have loved to have been 9 or 10 and had so many superhero toys, games, film and other merchandise. Not even Marvel, fucking Superman and Batman, too. With Wonder Woman to boot.

Marvel are doing it? Haha, shit, they're going to clean up with that. They are so "in" at the moment. They could release second hand toilet paper with the Avengers logo on or with Iron Man's face and it'll fly off the shelves. Kinda jealous for some of the kids these days, I would have loved to have been 9 or 10 and had so many superhero toys, games, film and other merchandise. Not even Marvel, fucking Superman and Batman, too. With Wonder Woman to boot.

Yup. It's essentially series 2 of Disney Infinity. They are still releasing Disney characters ( Stitch YAY ) but have now expanded into the Marvel universe as well. The next set is an Avengers one, with stuff like GotG to follow shortly after.

I have faith in the quality of their games. And the figures being good themselves. But not in them having great uses of these things. They're just going about it in a different way to what I think they should. Hope I'm wrong.

Yes, we should just blindly follow Nintendo, because they haven't made mistakes lately. Lately being the duration of this very console's lifespan.

That's the spirit! :)

Amiibos that will arrive this year are...

BwNA4LZIQAAsbWd.png:orig

The holiday shopping season begins today for Nintendo fans, as the first 12 amiibo interactive figures become available for pre-order at a suggested retail price of just $12.99 each. The first dozen characters available for pre-order at select retailers are Mario, Peach, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, Marth, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, with more on the way in the future.

Interactive amiibo Figures: Nintendo’s foray into the toys-to-life category starts today, with the first 12 amiibo figures available to pre-order from select retailers. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, which launches this holiday season, will be the first game with full integration of amiibo functionality. Other games that will support amiibo include Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Mario Party 10 and Yoshi’s Woolly World, with more to come. More details on amiibo functionality with the various games and a launch date will be revealed shortly.

So $12.99 for the US. Here's hoping they don't just switch the $ with £.

Surely that's £9.99 confirmed?!?!?!

I don't want to, but I kind of get the feeling I'm going to buy them all... £120 gone...

I reckon there'll be direct next month detailing amiibo and all it's many uses!!

Surely that's £9.99 confirmed?!?!?!

I don't want to, but I kind of get the feeling I'm going to buy them all... £120 gone...

I reckon there'll be direct next month detailing amiibo and all it's many uses!!

Yup, I concur pretty much with all of this...

... the pricing could've been worse I guess...

Well this confirms this is just Smash Mario and not Mario etc... So we'll see game specific amiibo's and not character specific ones.

Well this confirms this is just Smash Mario and not Mario etc... So we'll see game specific amiibo's and not character specific ones.

But the Amiibo's still work across multiple games.

We'll see :p

They've already said that they do... (also allows cross-game data transfer features too. Level up and customise your characters in Smash and changes get reflected in completely different games too!)

Amiibo will be priced at $12.99, hardware bundles also planned

amiibo-figures-640x320.jpg?3be88a

Today Nintendo has confirmed several things in regards to their holiday line up for 2014. Perhaps the most important of these is the pricing for Amiibo figures, which will be priced at $12.99 per figure. In addition, Nintendo announced several new hardware bundles for both the Nintendo Wii U and the Nintendo 2DS.

The Amiibo figures you see in the image above are the Amiibo Series 1 release. The first round of characters for the Amiibo series includes Mario, Peach, Samus, Yoshi, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Donkey Kong and Fox. More figures will be produced in additional series, this is just the launch round-up for the figures.

Sites like Amazon are already taking pre-orders for Amiibo figures and there’s no telling how fast they’ll sell considering how popular Super Smash Bros. and Nintendo characters are in general. Here’s a look at the hardware bundles announced by Nintendo:

Super Smash Bros. bundle

Fans who register both the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS version of the game with Club Nintendo will receive the Super Smash Bros. Premium Sound Selection, a soundtrack CD with music taken from the game.

New Hardware Bundles

• Super Mario 3D World Deluxe Set – This hardware bundle will be available in mid-September and will feature the Wii U deluxe set, as well as a physical copy of Super Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land. Retail price is $299.99.

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Set – This bundle is exclusive to Walmart and will be available in mid-September as well. This bundle includes the Wii U deluxe set and a physical copy of Mario Kart 8 and Nintendo Land.

• New Nintendo 2DS Bundles – In October, several new Nintendo 2DS bundles will be hitting stores. New colors include Electric Blue, Crimson Red, and Sea Green. Each of these will include a download code for Mario Kart 7 from the Nintendo eShop. Bundles will be priced at $129.99.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/08/amiibo-priced-bundles-announced/

Some added photos of the hardware bundles:

NOA_PackShot_MK8Bundle_Front_SWOnly.jpg

NOA_PackShot_SM3DWBundle_Front.jpg

2DS_MK7_Bundle_BoxShot_Red.jpg

amiibo are currently taking 11 of the top 20 best selling video game products on Amazon

amiibo are currently taking 11 of the top 20 best selling video game products on Amazon

Which character misses out? Wii fit trainer?

Which character misses out? Wii fit trainer?

Yep, it's at #21. Link and Samus are in the lead

I can't even find them on Amazon :(

I wonder if we'll get Nintendo Club Stars with amiibos. I'm guessing we won't because we only tend to get them with games and consoles, not accessories.

I really like the look of these figures. If they implement them into a lot of games and it gives some cool functions that you can't get without them, then I'm all for it.

Particularly the Peach, Samus and Donkey Kong ones!

I too can also see myself getting them all... Well apart from Marth and Wii Fit trainer, who I don't really care for!