Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Virtual Reality

Daft

Luckily I already bought s PS Camera last year. They've said most games will have several control options so unless it specifically says it needs move controllers you should be fine with the DS4.

I'm gonna get move controllers anyway as Dreams looks a lot easier to play using them.

The future is almost here! Haven't actually bought any games for PSVR yet. Gonna wait until Amazon have dispatched the headset. It'd be a bloody nightmare buying loads of games for it and then my pre-order being cancelled or something!

Ahhh man, just been on Amazon and the PSVR stuff and games are all more expensive than I thought it was :/

I'm sure I heard the Easy Allies say it was $350 the other day... did Europe get screwed again?

If it was £200-£250 I was thinking I might get it as a Christmas present for myself, but I'll probably end up waiting for a while now unless something happens over Black Friday. Although saying that, Black Friday may be a new TV.

Either way, I look forward to getting one sometime. Eve Valkyrie, VR Worlds, Batman, Drive Club, SuperHyperCube, Bound.

Have any of you been able to try out the cinematic mode yet? I'm keen to know how good it is and whether the resolution is good enough to make it worthwhile using, I can see it possibly being a bit too pixelated but the fact you can use it as a virtual screen for any device makes it quite tempting.

Have any of you been able to try out the cinematic mode yet? I'm keen to know how good it is and whether the resolution is good enough to make it worthwhile using, I can see it possibly being a bit too pixelated but the fact you can use it as a virtual screen for any device makes it quite tempting.

Depends on how much resolution bothers you, it doesn't me too much so I don't mind, but it does take a huge drop compared to a HD tele.

How does it show Netflix on the PSVR? I love my GearVR Oculus Netflix app:

store1.png

Not sure how it works on my Vive, I only tend to watch Netflix in VR with a wireless headset.

It's nothing like that (yet). Just a huge cinema sized screen appears in front of you in a black void. You can adjust the size, medium is best for me. Feels like you're third row in a cinema. Large feels like first row.

Was weird to be watching Peep Show in a "cinema"!

EDIT: But to be fair it's not actually a VR app, it's just the normal Netflix app. You can also play any non-VR game in cinematic mode as well.

Played this again last night and had a much better experience, think I was just taken aback by how lowres it is...

I was beginning to think it may be something I'm doing as looking at videos the image looks a lot cleaner. Also, mine seems to have this thing where it focusses where you look, so if you side-eye something it's a little blurry.... But videos everything seems absolutely fine...

How do other people feel about the resolution?

Anyways, I'm sort of over that and everything felt a little better - or maybe it was just the games; tried the demos - Battlezone was way better than expected. Eve seemed great. Rigs was pretty good too, but actually think I'll get battle zone or Eve (me and my mate want an online game to play). But they all felt good, being inside things and looking out really works.

One game which did surprise me and I'm probably going to buy it is Headmaster, the football heading game. That was amazing, it felt great, love the dark story and there seems to be loads more to it than I thought.

Drive Club was also pretty good considering I don't like driving sims, but that looked absolutely appalling.

Finally played Rez too which was great fun, never played the original. Don't fully get it though I don't think - do you have to time things to music? Just felt like I was pressing x, moving me head about then letting go. Didn't seem to have loads of strategy and felt more like a shoot em up than a rhythm game. Felt amazing in VR though!!

Some of the games are very low res, some of them look amazing. Things will only improve as people get to grips with the tech.

The visor mimics real eyes, so if you look to the side without moving your head it will be blurrier, just like real eyes.

The less "realistic" games look the best. I guess developers just have to find the right art styles to get the most out of the current tech.

I played through all of Arkham VR today. I did finish it feeling like I'd paid for a demo but it's one of the best experiences I've played in VR.

Which is really weird considering I don't find the PlayStation VR hardware to be very good. The headset lets in a lot of light for me no matter how I position it. While I can tell the resolution is lower than the Vive, it only really bugged me when playing 2D games in Cinema Mode. Finally, and arguably most importantly, the tracking is absolutely pants. I can't see how this is going to work long term without multiple cameras or a wider field of view.

There are some positives, the headset wasn't uncomfortable to wear and setting everything up is relatively easy.