NEurope
Hero-of-Time

N64 Appreciation Thread

Same! You did very well there @Hero\-of\-Time! Jolly good show! : peace:

As for prices... Even cart only versions of games can be very expensive... (Paper Mario, CBFD or Pokemon Stadium 2 for instance can easily go for £50 and upwards, so good luck on those ones!), so I'm still very surprised you did so well on those!

Luckily I nabbed Pokemon Stadium 2 and Conkers Bad Fur Day a while back. Paper Mario is the one that is gonna break the bank to obtain. Probably be around £130 for a mint copy.

Good work Hero-of-Time! I need to get my ass into gear and save some money so I can add to me collection. I dream of winning the lottery so I can buy a bunch of factory sealed N64 games and totally relive the joy of the late 90's.

I've never played Mickey's Speedway or Conker before. Really wanted both of these games back in the day! Conker especially looked great and very different to everything else I had played before then.

I love those old N64 boxes. There's something very charming yet serious about them. The thickness and size of it (lawl) probably has something to do with it. Size matters, aha. Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark and WWF No Mercy had excellent box arts.

I was tempted by Mickey's Speedway in the past and I think I almost looked into getting it a while back, hence watching some YouTube videos, where I soon learnt that the look of it was better than the delivery. Considering both were made by Rare it's not a patch on Diddy Kong Racing!! Maybe they were purposefully trying to go for something different, but the tracks are super wide and backdrops not great. Strange racer. But the boxart is awesome!

The levels and music in Banjo Kazooie are SOOO good!!

It's an absolutely incredible game :love:

I get cravings every now and again for WWF No Mercy. When we eventually get our house, I'm going to hook up the N64 to a telly permanently so I can get my N64 fix.

I thought there was meant to be some version of No Mercy coming to the Wii years ago? What happened to that?! Disappointed to say the least!

Ahh man, that Paper Mario.

It's beautiful :love:

It's one game I would love to have in my N64 collection but there's no way I could spend the amount of money on it required to obtain it.. especially when I have it on the Wii Virtual Console!

I've been picking up N64 games every once a while from Super Tomato in Cardiff. Got Tetrisphere a couple of weeks back, finally got round to digging out my N64 again. After a bit of a scare with no image on the TV, a bit of blowing the cartridge slot did the trick. :grin:

68.jpg

I finished listening to this today. Great episode. I love the voting thing they do. They did it for something else Nintendo related a while back but I can't for the life of me remember what it was for.

I finished listening to this today. Great episode. I love the voting thing they do. They did it for something else Nintendo related a while back but I can't for the life of me remember what it was for.

I listened to this last week and it was certainly fun listening to people putting their cases forward for what games deserve to be in the top ten list :smile:

I can't remember how it finished in the end but there were some great games that unfortunately didn't make it!

I can't remember how it finished in the end but there were some great games that unfortunately didn't make it!

Yup. When they mentioned how hard it was to make a top 10 N64 list without missing many of the greats off they weren't kidding. I was chuffed to bits that No Mercy made it into the list. Such an amazing game. :bowdown:

I was chuffed to bits that No Mercy made it into the list..

I wasn't :heh: I never played the game as I'm not a wrestling fan but when things like Wave Race 64 and Diddy Kong Racing don't make the list, you realise just how many great games the N64 has :love:

Can't wait for the classic Mini N64, with Wii remote compatible N64 controlers.

I only own 12 N64 games, so I've missed plenty classics (probably?). Too bad many of them were Rare classics. 4 out of the 12 games in my collection are Rare games, and 2 of them are other 3rd party. The rest Nintendo.

Hey guys, I know that some of you use upscalers and other items to get a better picture out of your N64 so I was hoping you could give me some recommendations. I recently dug out my N64 because I wanted to play through some classics that I missed, but had a few issues with it - it kept switching itself off every few minutes, which seemed to resolve itself when I raised the console off the ground a bit, and the picture was just abysmal. I tried fiddling with settings like I was recommended but it didn't help at all, the image was just constantly over exposed and the colours looked atrocious.

I would love to get it looking at least passable on an HDTV as my parents have got rid of any CRT's that we had in the house, so I'm happy to buy an upscaler but don't want to spend too much money. I'm also looking to start streaming some of the less well known N64 games so have been looking at getting a cheap USB capture card. Have any of you used one for gaming and streaming?

@killthenet, are you using composite cables? I have two different cables and one makes the N64 look like washed out garbage and the other makes the colours look so much nicer. If you still have a GameCube kicking about, perhaps you can rig it up using that cable (same connection as N64) to see if there's an improvement.

---

Additional heads up for y'all, CEX are now accepting and selling N64 stuff again. I picked up a £10 grey controller with a great stick last week. Going into CEX is awful, but it might be worth a look in your local if you're after a few cheap extra carts or accessories.

@killthenet, are you using composite cables? I have two different cables and one makes the N64 look like washed out garbage and the other makes the colours look so much nicer. If you still have a GameCube kicking about, perhaps you can rig it up using that cable (same connection as N64) to see if there's an improvement.

I used to use my official Gamecube cable to play my N64 years ago, but upon digging out all my old consoles I discovered that the cable had gone walk about so I ordered a cheap replacement thinking that it would suffice. Obviously it hasn't, so I've looked around and found the website ConsoleGoods.co.uk which sells much better looking cables, so I've ordered one from there for £7.90.

I'll let you guys know if I get on any better with it, at the very least I'll be able to stream with it whilst also playing on a TV, as the cable features both AV and S-Video out.

The cable arrived today and I just tested it out. Everything looks so much better now, the colours and the contrast appear how they're supposed to and I'm really happy with my purchase. For only £7.90 my N64 is playable again, I look forward to getting stuck into some of the classics that I missed.