N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Because we knew, as the poster later admitted to, that it was posted just to cause a fuss...

You're wrong about that, I'll tell you why in PM because as it's been said the argument should end. Yet the poster never said it was to cause fuss. My PM will explain.

Edited by Kav

I'm watching The Late Late Toy Show on TV here in Ireland, it's a tradition every year. @Mokong X\-C knows what I'm talking about. Didn't think Wii U would get a mention but it did which is great. They showed Xbone and PS4 as well. This is huge publicity, everybody here watches it. They showed Disney Infinity on Wii U. This will help get it on childrens Christmas toys wish list. I only wish they'd shown a better game on Wii U like Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101 or Zelda Wind Waker HD.

Edit: Just went to a break and they showed an ad for Super Mario 3D World. Good stuff. That's more like it.

Edited by Wii

Made a thread in General for it Wii :)

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53869

I was a little disappointed they didn't show Mario 3D World with the Wii U but I was expecting the Wii U might get over looked with the two new systems so the fact it was there was a plus :D

EDIT

oh didnt see the Mario ad. i paused earlier so skipped the ads when they came on.

Out of interest - How many of those Xbox and PS games are on the Wii U?

Also what would be in N-E's top 10?

I just got a Wii U and was wondering what games people would recommend for me to buy next. I have lego city and rayman in the bundle I got, and have Deus Ex and Splinter cell blacklist, all thanks to Amazon.

I love multiplayer - good local as well as online, co-op is always good aswell.

any suggestions would be welcome...

The Wii U is the perfect console for Christmas:

http://tech.uk.msn.com/gaming/ten-reasons-why-wii-u-is-the-perfect-console-for-christmas

A really good write up on the Wii U from MSN! It's weird, the article sells the console really well, MS selling the Wii U better than Nintendo!

All good points. There actually seems to be an uptick in sales lately too. Read on GAF that there was a special promotion going on with one store on eBay. They sold around 1500 in an hour.

I know, but I'm just saying - what's 1500 in an hour compared to the PS4 outselling the Wii U in days? I could turn up on a street market on a monday morning and sell through 60% of my stock for some crazy reason, come Friday though my total sales are only 65%. This isn't a dig or boast for either console, but a highlight of everything being relative. The bigger picture is the most important imo.

I know, but I'm just saying - what's 1500 in an hour compared to the PS4 outselling the Wii U in days? I could turn up on a street market on a monday morning and sell through 60% of my stock for some crazy reason, come Friday though my total sales are only 65%. This isn't a dig or boast for either console, but a highlight of everything being relative. The bigger picture is the most important imo.

No, but it's somewhat indicative of there being some relatively strong demand and desire for the product rather than people not caring, which many people seem to think is the case

It was never the most important when the Wii was the best selling console though it seems. Funny that.

The bigger picture? How can you refer to the Wii as the 'best selling console' without that directly addressing the bigger picture of the whole market? That's PART of the bigger picture, but right now for Wii U - it's place isn't that of the Wii. So what is it's place?

That's the bigger picture. That's what we need to see and determine. If you looked at the bigger picture coming up for Xmas 2007, I doubt it was definitively showing the Wii as the best selling console of the generation(though indicating some good things), but it did show something. We need to consider everything as it comes, and be realistic.

1500 in a flash sale for Wii U. It's a speck. A pixel. It's nothing that anyone will notice in the bigger picture, stop focusing on it.

No, but it's somewhat indicative of there being some relatively strong demand and desire for the product rather than people not caring, which many people seem to think is the case

You've completely, as usual, ignored my post. Notably my example - does it show the things you claim? Does it show anything, at all, really? Extend the time frames, what does it show?

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

From my perspective, the demand is pretty poor when you think about the IPs and brand names attached. Maybe we should be looking into why the PS4 has sold so well despite not having many games.

The bigger picture? How can you refer to the Wii as the 'best selling console' without that directly addressing the bigger picture of the whole market? That's PART of the bigger picture, but right now for Wii U - it's place isn't that of the Wii. So what is it's place?

That's the bigger picture. That's what we need to see and determine. If you looked at the bigger picture coming up for Xmas 2007, I doubt it was definitively showing the Wii as the best selling console of the generation(though indicating some good things), but it did show something. We need to consider everything as it comes, and be realistic.

1500 in a flash sale for Wii U. It's a spec. A pixel. It's nothing that anyone will notice in the bigger picture, stop focusing on it.

You missed what I was getting at.

You missed what I was getting at.

Well, I said that the bigger picture was the most important part. You used the phrase 'most important' in a vague statement - I then responded trying to clarify and elaborate on the perceived point(about the bigger picture - as I'll agree that isn't a clear statement in itself), and then you replied to vaguely say that I missed what you were getting at.

I can't even figure out how I missed it.

HOW DID I MISS IT?! Tbh I'm not that clever, so you might need to actually break this down into various obvious bits for me, then I'm hoping I'll be able to understand or get it. Apologies for missing it so far.

(this seems very sarcastic, but I am genuinely interested to know what your point was, and actually discuss it if relevant)

On the bottom shelf gathering dust as store managers wonder what the fuck they're going to do with the excess stock.

You're gracious enough to assume it even got shelf space! From the stories I hear, it hasn't even got that in some places.

However, I still think it HAS got a place. It's just...well, where? What? Personally I got it for a few of the big Ninty games, and then all the indies/small titles they promised. I haven't seen anywhere as near as many of those as I hoped(or more the ones I wanted) despite their points saying how easy it would be for indies and for porting etc(such as unity, I think...java porting sdk or something too, wasn't it?)

Edited by Rummy

Well, I said that the bigger picture was the most important part. You used the phrase 'most important' in a vague statement - I then responded trying to clarify and elaborate on the perceived point(about the bigger picture - as I'll agree that isn't a clear statement in itself), and then you replied to vaguely say that I missed what you were getting at.

I can't even figure out how I missed it.

HOW DID I MISS IT?! Tbh I'm not that clever, so you might need to actually break this down into various obvious bits for me, then I'm hoping I'll be able to understand or get it. Apologies for missing it so far.

It's pretty obvious your response missed his point. You took it at face value when he was being ironic :heh:

Though I think his original point is best left alone, if it is what I think it is.

An actualy discussion rather than the bitch fest they usually turn into, refreshing to read. But Kav's point was quite obvious :) He's saying why does everyone bang on about sales as the most important thing now, when it wasn't a factor when Nintendo was the best selling. Subtext: We'll ignore it when it benefits Nintendo, bring it out to bash them.

As for Wii U. I still have no doubt it'll have its place. It's a shame retail has abandoned it, and in the case of Game pure disgusting. Imagine a DVD/Bluray seller that refused to stock indie films and just the latest blockbusters or whatever. It SHOULDN'T be about the biggest and best selling things. But this is more of a game issue than anything.

Wii U will continue to trickle along, but Mario Kart will be a big boost. I also think Nintendo with their big to the wall will go apeshit, they'll slowly fix their account system, improve and blitz their virtual console and just I've us a waves of games to try and turn it around Whether they succeed to their liking or not almost doesn't matter to us, it will force them to create great titles and produce great services - catch up time in a big way and maybe even further. But they'll have no choice but to go for it, and that can only be a good thing. With this I think sales will come, probably not at a great level, but a good one, outstripped Cube, maybe N64. Mario Kart will likely be huge and if they can have the ads consistency then you never know...

To be honest, I don't really think usinging the Wii U Discussion thread to compare PS4 and Wii U sales is a good idea. In fact it's against the policy of this board. There's already been numerous threads derailed over these things.

Serebii posted an innocent remark about how quickly an eBay deal sold out, if people want to compare that with PS4 sales then there is a specific thread for sales comparisons over in General Discussion.

Also, I don't think it's right that anyone should have a forum signature mocking other users or deriding them as a 'fanboy' or a 'troll'. Considering the new forum rules about keeping things civil and respecting one anothers opinion, it's just not in the spirit of things.

To be honest, I don't really think using the Wii U Discussion thread to compare PS4 and Wii U sales is a good idea. In fact it's against the policy of this board. There's already been numerous threads derailed over these things.

Serebii posted an innocent remark about how quickly an eBay deal sold out, if people want to compare that with PS4 sales then there is a specific thread for sales comparisons over in General Discussion.

Also, I don't think it's right that anyone should have a forum signature mocking other users or deriding them as a 'fanboy' or a 'troll'. Considering the new forum rules about keeping things civil and respecting one anothers opinion, it's just not in the spirit of things.

Cmon man, is that how you want to be? Did someone call in the Kavalry?

So Kav makes a point, I don't get it, he calls in you? You then use this thread to refer to something elsewhere? DO YOU SEE HOW YOU ARE DESTROYING ACTUAL ONTOPIC CONVERSATION BY NOT HAVING ANY.

My signature is two actual quotes by two actual forum members. Two actual things that actually happened on the forum. I've brought them together in one convenient place. One accuses someone not on the forum of being a troll, a subsequent quote accuses(tongue in cheek) the forum member being a troll - it's an ironic observation.

So, as I've missed your point too Zechs - does your post actually constitute anything productive being added to this Wii U discussion thread? Does it in any way actually discuss the Wii U? I wasn't discussing the PS4, I was using the sales of the PS4 to show that the point being made holds little context - what is 1500 in the grand scheme of anything? It's an arbitrary number in a day. Why have you not disapproved of my similar market antics? I mean after all, this is no place to be discussing the workings of a lowly street seller. It's wildly off topic!

Well done to you both furthering Wii U discussion and the forums. I'll be done responding now unless it's something actually on topic.

An actualy discussion rather than the bitch fest they usually turn into, refreshing to read. But Kav's point was quite obvious :) He's saying why does everyone bang on about sales as the most important thing now, when it wasn't a factor when Nintendo was the best selling. Subtext: We'll ignore it when it benefits Nintendo, bring it out to bash them.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I was specifically addressing both points! I was trying NOT to bang on about sales, in addition to mentioning that it DIDN'T matter at this time-on-time comparison to Wii's lifetime sales in the grand scheme of a bigger picture.

I do feel sales matter, but in the longer run, in a bigger picture. Of course, at this point looking at the picture of Wii compared to the picture of Wii U - the former looks better. I've had sales countlessly elsewhere, but it's important for as many people to own Wii Us for us to get other people to support and look at the Wii U as a viable and successful product. Ownership is sadly mostly tied to sales, as the main method of getting an indication of owned Wii U are sales.

As for Wii U. I still have no doubt it'll have its place. It's a shame retail has abandoned it, and in the case of Game pure disgusting. Imagine a DVD/Bluray seller that refused to stock indie films and just the latest blockbusters or whatever. It SHOULDN'T be about the biggest and best selling things. But this is more of a game issue than anything.

Tbh, I think Game are probably doing one of the better jobs for it on the high street. Again, coming back to relativity, that doesn't necessarily mean a lot.

Wii U will continue to trickle along, but Mario Kart will be a big boost. I also think Nintendo with their big to the wall will go apeshit, they'll slowly fix their account system, improve and blitz their virtual console and just I've us a waves of games to try and turn it around Whether they succeed to their liking or not almost doesn't matter to us, it will force them to create great titles and produce great services - catch up time in a big way and maybe even further. But they'll have no choice but to go for it, and that can only be a good thing. With this I think sales will come, probably not at a great level, but a good one, outstripped Cube, maybe N64. Mario Kart will likely be huge and if they can have the ads consistency then you never know...

I want to hope MK will be - but then I'll be interested to see the effects of SM3DW and The Mega Mario bundle on Wii U sales. Is MK more of a system seller than Mario platformers in recent times?

I still really want to see them deliver on their indies and 3rd parties support. All the promised tools/ports and nothing near what I expected coming through yet :(

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Is there a reason why we have to be childish with terms such as "kavalry". What are we? 12? Not really showing respect here

I doubt very much that kav is calling in Zechs. There is no one calling one another to help out here.

I do agree with what you are saying @Rummy in regards to respecting members. I think that it would be a good idea if we keep individual grievances to PMs rather than on here though.

I cant even remember what was being discussed in here. I tell you what I do love the Wii U and I haven't been this into gaming for years! Ive gamed with and become really good mates with (admittedly due to this excellent forum) some great people!

Edited by Blade

Does anyone remember a certain post made recently outlining the ridiculousness of an 'anti-Nintendo conspiracy'? :p