Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Yeah I don't think he is a liar really, just a souped up PR person.

Yeah, he's essentially a spin doctor, one with his strings very much being pulled. Saying sales doubled is factual, albeit incredibly douchey and worthy of derision.

Also many devs do care about console power because it lets them make games more impressive than the last generation. This applies more to western studios though, as we've seen that many Japanese gamers aren't exactly head over heels with new consoles.

For the west, gamers very much wanted an upgrade to their old last gen systems since they had been in the 360/PS3 generation so long. That's evidenced by the PS3 game sales figures dropping while the PS4 continuously reaches #1. So also, devs want to be on the more powerful consoles because the more powerful consoles are where most people want to be.

Edited by Sheikah

He's basically a spokesman/salesman. No President of Nintendo of America is going to go all negative on their products. It's his job to sell Nintendo's products. While he may accept Nintendo's problems, it would be ridiculous if he didn't try and present the positive side. He isn't even deceiving people, because I don't know why anyone would take such talk as anything else than PR. He wouldn't be doing a very good job if he wasn't acting like he believes in the product.

It really isn't worth hating over. It's just PR.

I used to really like Reggie but I think it was around that E3 where he just kept answering every question with "PLAY THE GAME!" that my opinion of him dropped dramatically.

lol. that was pathetic.

Wii is right when he calls reggie out about reggie mentioning the xb1/ps4 performance war.

Reggie went onto national tv claiming without doubt COD on Wii u was the best performing version which was laughable considering it actually wasnt.

well I'm pretty pissed at Nintendo that I've got to fork out for a PS4 so I can play FIFA, PGA, COD etc going forward. As a Wii owner all I wanted from Wii U was the same again in HD. And whilst the Wii got some fairly downgraded versions of these games at least it got them.

But's what even more annoying is that I know whilst COD on PS4 will look better it won't play nearly as well in local multiplayer due to split screen. So I'm going to spend £400+ to get a worse experience than what I'm getting now, just because Nintendo sold us a pup when it comes to 3rd party support.

CoD split-screen is, to most gamers, a thing of the past now. It's mostly about the online and the WiiU is weak in regards to its infrastructure. So, you're getting a weaker product anyway by getting the WiiU version. (I don't know if the DLC is the same either, I don't follow CoD, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the DLC hasn't made its way onto the WiiU)

I agree with the rest of your sentiments, though. I'd rather have spent that 300 quid on games for the WiiU. Why would I need two games consoles if I can get all of my needs on one, for example? Too late now. The only thing we can do is hope that Nintendo learn their lesson this time and fix it for the next system.

To be fair I'm pretty sure the online in cod was exactly the same as the other versions (barring dlc), voice chat, lobbies etc etc

Anyways, it's done, I'm confused as to how saying reggie saying Wii u sales doubled deserves "derision" when it was agreed it was true? Fuck me... I hope none of you guys ever own a business!

There's 'derision' when Nintendo use PR tactics and when they lack sufficient PR - a matter so endlessly absorbing to some here, and so boring to others that we barely post any more.

I didn't feel there was anything particularly outlandish in Reggie's interview and I'm not a fan of his clunking rhetoric. In fact some of it was pretty frank and skirting close to an admission that they've failed to attract a broad enough demographic.

http://recode.net/2014/11/05/nintendos-reggie-fils-aime-on-holiday-strategy-call-of-duty-and-mobile-games-qa/

I don't think people have read this properly. Not just the article from nintendoeverything that I quoted. There's so much bluff, spin and ignoring of what he's actually asked.

Another example, he's asked:

Shifting gears a bit, let’s talk about third-party support, which has drifted heavily toward Sony and Microsoft and away from Nintendo in the current console generation. What’s the latest on that? Are the tides shifting at all since E3?

He never answered what he was asked. There's tonnes of inaccuracies. Who's benefit is this interview for? The casual gamer? I don't think somehow casual gamers will be thinking to themselves, "I must read what the CEO of NOA has been saying lately." It's the serious gamers like myself that reads it and I find it infuriating. Quotes like:

I like our chances of having a differentiated console and a differentiated series of experiences.

A weaker console with practically no third party support and relations, poor retail support, weaker online options and many more problems. Sales that won't reach Gamecube levels and he likes his chances? How can you take that seriously? I suppose it's how you interpret that quote. Yes it'll certainly be differentiated.

To be fair I'm pretty sure the online in cod was exactly the same as the other versions (barring dlc), voice chat, lobbies etc etc

Anyways, it's done, I'm confused as to how saying reggie saying Wii u sales doubled deserves "derision" when it was agreed it was true? Fuck me... I hope none of you guys ever own a business!

That's not too bad then if the previous CoDs were similar. I think they were different on the Wii version in the past for obvious reasons (lower power), but that couldn't really be helped.

The DLC issue annoys me, not just with CoD. It pissed me off with Injustice...no Man of Steel skin for Superman and Zod. What the shit?!

I don't think what Reggie was saying was that bad at all. It's just typical PR speak, as others have already said. One thing I will say is that I think Reggie has lost a lot of that sparkle and personality that he seemed to have, especially with the fans when he first came onto the scene. Not sure if that's his fault and it's just the way things are/the material he is given to reel off.

I don't think what Reggie was saying was that bad at all. It's just typical PR speak, as others have already said. One thing I will say is that I think Reggie has lost a lot of that sparkle and personality that he seemed to have, especially with the fans when he first came onto the scene. Not sure if that's his fault and it's just the way things are/the material he is given to reel off.

I think Reggie is still very competent at his job whenever I see him speak. At least I always have the impression that he does like Nintendo's products. Plus, he's always willing to do/say silly and fun stuff, whether it be the Smash Bros. trailer with Iwata, or simply feeling like a purple Pikmin.

If there's any feeling of a "lost spark", I would wager it's for the same reason we don't make Chuck Norris jokes anymore. Novelty tends to wear thin, so something we thought was awesome back then is "merely" enjoyable and chuckle-worthy now.

The problem with Reggie is that he has very little power to actually make decisions. He can make day to day operational decisions and low-medium level decisions but Iwata is the CEO of Nintendo of America, not Reggie. It's very different to the days of Howard Lincoln, where Nintendo were able to push their systems to get games and franchises that appealed to the West.

When the CEO of NoA and NoE are both Japanese, is it really a surprise that the Wii U can barely run 3rd party engines from last gen? Most of those dev's are based in America, not Japan.

At the end of the day, I like Reggie but he's not really got any power. He does what he can but he can't really say too much and make big changes. That said, getting Goldeneye on the Wii was a great move from him, even though it ended up on other consoles soon after.

So I did it and bought a Wii U this week, along with Tekken Tag 2 and Wii Party U which were both half-free from bargain bins. Also got Wii Fit U and meter which was my main reason to get it now. Yeah I admit the console is pretty fun, tried Bayonetta 2 demo but was definitely not impressed with its graphics or frame rate, looked like it was missing anti-aliasing. On the other hand, Nintendo's own games look damn good, and Tekken looked the same as PS3 version. I am going on a mission to find all the launch games like ZombiU, ME3, Batman Arkham City etc. since they are so cheap now. But... I am a bit disheartened that they are both the first and almost last third party games that are coming. It really is a shame, if Assassin's Creed Rogue and Resident Evil Revelations 2 were coming for Wii U I'd definitely pick those up.

PS4 is a must-buy next year.

@Wii what are you expecting Reggie to say, honestly? "Yes, the Wii U isn't doing great, third-party support is terrible and we don't have enough games coming out. Also, this job was great while it lasted but fuck it, we're screwed."

He kinda has to put things in a good light and it seems he's done it whilst trying to also be as honest as possible.

@Wii what are you expecting Reggie to say, honestly? "Yes, the Wii U isn't doing great, third-party support is terrible and we don't have enough games coming out. Also, this job was great while it lasted but fuck it, we're screwed."

He kinda has to put things in a good light and it seems he's done it whilst trying to also be as honest as possible.

That's exactly what I expected him to say. :heh: No I know he can't say that but neither was he honest as possible. He'd be out of a job if he was completely honest. It just frustrates me when I see that BS and knowing they can do so much more.

That's exactly what I expected him to say. :heh: No I know he can't say that but neither was he honest as possible. He'd be out of a job if he was completely honest. It just frustrates me when I see that BS and knowing they can do so much more.

I think, for Reggie,"losing my job" type statements mark the boundary of his possibilities. Not frustrating you ;)

And at this point, I don't think they can do much more, just that they COULD have done some more. I mean... the X360 and PS3 couldn't comfortably pull 1080p last gen. really Nintendo SHOULD have seen that the Wii U needed that much more power to be able to pull 1080p comfortably on most games, not just have 1080p for weaker titles. They haven't done that (I believe in terms of the console its self that is the most objective criticism for the Wii U right?) but they can't really fix the situation now. Designing a new console takes time, rushing out a successor now will screw them over for the next gen, (as in they will be late to the party) so they'd do better to look at criticisms levelled at them and make the next gen console compelling, with a few big hitters in the first year to get an installed userbase, as well as actually working hard with 3rd parties to get compelling titles to widen the user base. I don't think anyone really expects that though - so we shall see :D

really Nintendo SHOULD have seen that the Wii U needed that much more power to be able to pull 1080p comfortably on most games, not just have 1080p for weaker titles.
Smash Bros. is 1080p @ 60fps, and I certainly wouldn't class that as a weaker title.

There's clearly some kind of witchcraft going on with that game though. :heh:

Smash Bros. is 1080p @ 60fps, and I certainly wouldn't class that as a weaker title.

There's clearly some kind of witchcraft going on with that game though. :heh:

A lot of effort went into that game though, I imagine that the Wii U is far from being comfortable and is being pushed close to it's absolute limits a lot of the time within that game.

1080p isn't a standard that 3rd parties who aren't focused solely on one platform are able to achieve and that was more what I am getting at. But perhaps it comes back to that complaint of Nintendo not considering multiplatform releases - Perhaps they wanted to force 3rd parties to choose - Nintendo or the other two. Of course we can all see how that worked out :D

They could pay to get games like COD. That's more that they could do.

Or, they could have shipped a console with great, wide ranging first party support. Ensured the console worked properly, fast and fluid. Provide clear messages to the consumer. If they corrected the launch mistakes, ensured momentum the third parties would have flocked. Instead, Iwata and Co blame the consumer.

Wii U is beyond repair. Its a console most of us - and Nintendo - will be happy to forget. Its time they moved on.

They could pay to get games like COD. That's more that they could do.

Nintendo see what the 3rd parties see. COD doesn't sell enough to make it worth Nintendo paying for the game. People who want COD have for the most part already jumped ship and will get it on one of the other two consoles. COD would not sell more consoles, it wouldn't make a profit for Nintendo, and it would presumably be an inferior version graphically.

I think Reggie was actually correct, with the Wii U they need unique experiences, because the Wii U can't faithfully reproduce what the other two consoles can do.

Nintendo see what the 3rd parties see. COD doesn't sell enough to make it worth Nintendo paying for the game. People who want COD have for the most part already jumped ship and will get it on one of the other two consoles. COD would not sell more consoles, it wouldn't make a profit for Nintendo, and it would presumably be an inferior version graphically.

I think Reggie was actually correct, with the Wii U they need unique experiences, because the Wii U can't faithfully reproduce what the other two consoles can do.

Perhaps. But I'd take a COD over Splatoon any day.