N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

What Nintendo needs is Sega remakes and HD ports. It will save them, the entire industry and, more importantly, Sega.

I'd love this, but I'd love new content from SEGA. A balance between new instalments with classic franchises and new games entirely. Shenmue 3 would be a huge, huge game. A trilogy. Oh my. A new racer from them, a new fighting series, etc. Tons of potential there.

Basically, the content and exclusives that SEGA had for the DreamCast at the time...do that for the Wii U. Please.

I actually did an analysis of releases in the general sales topic along these lines. It was based on number of releases though, rather than quality.

More stats fun here: http://n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1676970&postcount=2660

I think one of the real reasons the Wii U felt a bit barren wasn't the precise number of games but that most of the games weren't really very exciting to your PS3/360 gamer. A lot of ports we'd already played with little incentive to rebuy (not like the 'definitive' series coming to PS4/X1 which at least have had quite a bit of work put in and were a step up from the last generation).

I think one of the real reasons the Wii U felt a bit barren wasn't the precise number of games but that most of the games weren't really very exciting to your PS3/360 gamer. A lot of ports we'd already played with little incentive to rebuy (not like the 'definitive' series coming to PS4/X1 which at least have had quite a bit of work put in and were a step up from the last generation).

I think a massive part of it was the lack of online games. With PS4 & One you have/had a bunch of online games to keep you busy if nothing is taking your fancy. The Wii U had a couple of online experiences in CoD and Sonic Racing but nothing substantial until Monster Hunter hit. Had that not arrived to keep me busy through another drought I wouldn't have been a happy gamer.

image_zps51bfdd1c.jpg.

What's reassuring(/dissappointing about Nintendo for me as I don't have an alternative 'next gen') is just how diverse your own collection is there. Too often I see this whole 'another grey brown shooter' and I kinda believe it too, but that actually seems quite a nice variety you've got already. There's some diversty on Wii U no doubt, but not all of it appealing to me whereas some of those Xbone titles do - faced with a decision between Wii U or an alternative I kinda can't blame people choosing the competition as a result.

What's reassuring(/dissappointing about Nintendo for me as I don't have an alternative 'next gen') is just how diverse your own collection is there. Too often I see this whole 'another grey brown shooter' and I kinda believe it too, but that actually seems quite a nice variety you've got already. There's some diversty on Wii U no doubt, but not all of it appealing to me whereas some of those Xbone titles do - faced with a decision between Wii U or an alternative I kinda can't blame people choosing the competition as a result.

Yeah, I just don't get the whole attitude ( mainly from Nintendo only gamers ) that the other consoles are just shooters after shooters. Yes, that genre does very well on these consoles but there is a wealth of variety on both the PS4 and One. Even more so on their older brothers, the PS3 and 360.

The sad thing is that only one of those titles displayed (I think) will be available on the Wii U. Metal Gear won't be coming, Tomb Raider isn't there and the sequel won't be coming, neither has/will Wolfenstein. Some of these are One only, some are also available on PS4. That depresses me more. Whether you buy these games or not, the choice just isn't given to you. It would be great to be Wii U only and have the same-ish selection of games to choose from, if you do say, "no thanks!" to some of them.

The sad thing is that only one of those titles displayed (I think) will be available on the Wii U. Metal Gear won't be coming, Tomb Raider isn't there and the sequel won't be coming, neither has/will Wolfenstein. Some of these are One only, some are also available on PS4. That depresses me more. Whether you buy these games or not, the choice just isn't given to you. It would be great to be Wii U only and have the same-ish selection of games to choose from, if you do say, "no thanks!" to some of them.

Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare would have been great on the Wii U. Most of the time when I've been playing it there is a nice mix of adults and kids. It's a 3rd person team based shooter but done in such a cartoony and stylish way that it never feels violent. It's a perfect fit for Nintendo's image.

Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare would have been great on the Wii U. Most of the time when I've been playing it there is a nice mix of adults and kids. It's a 3rd person team based shooter but done in such a cartoony and stylish way that it never feels violent. It's a perfect fit for Nintendo's image.

That would have been a good fit. I'm surprised that Tomb Raider isn't on there, given that Nintendo bigged up Arkham City: Armoured Edition. You've got the Definitive Version out on One and PS4 for one of the best games of last generation. Can't believe that isn't there. Having something like Metal Gear would have been a big statement of intent, that Nintendo could still obtain these big name games.

No Destiny for Wii U is another huge, huge missed one. No excuses over that one. It should be coming. It's on PS3/360, too.

..have you been living under a rock lately?!

Skies of Arcadia HD Review - Kotaku

Crawled out from under my rock and clicked that link, wondering why I hadn't heard about this before but going with it anyway. It was all good til the very end of their review. (Well that and the fact Skies HD isn't out on Wii U or 3DS.)

*shakes fist*

That would have been a good fit. I'm surprised that Tomb Raider isn't on there, given that Nintendo bigged up Arkham City: Armoured Edition.

Yeah I was pretty sure Wii U would see some kind of version of the new Tomb Raider - I thought it looked really good. Ah well. ::shrug:

Exactly what I was thinking when I looked at the picture - I had actually originally expected/intended to be all like 'yeah but they're basically all the same game lol' then realised the diversity there that just isn't even offered to us on Wii U. I've been rather naive of the XBone and PS4, and no intentions to get one in the next few years anyway, but I can certainly see the arguments for them over WiiU in terms of offerings at times.

Oh yeah you could very well do a similar analysis on quality (metacritic averages), range (genres) etc but until I'm procrastinating at work again, I won't do it myself :heh:

Yeah, I just don't get the whole attitude ( mainly from Nintendo only gamers ) that the other consoles are just shooters after shooters. Yes, that genre does very well on these consoles but there is a wealth of variety on both the PS4 and One. Even more so on their older brothers, the PS3 and 360.

I guess those consoles feel a bit barren in genre variety is because the games they market the most (and their respective demographic) just aren't very exciting to your average Nintendo gam-

I think one of the real reasons the Wii U felt a bit barren wasn't the precise number of games but that most of the games weren't really very exciting to your PS3/360 gamer.

Oh, sorry for stealing your argument, there.

I guess those consoles feel a bit barren in genre variety is because the games they market the most (and their respective demographic) just aren't very exciting to your average Nintendo gam-

Oh, sorry for stealing your argument, there.

Nice try.

The reason the Wii U didn't appeal much to many other console owners in the first year is not because the games didn't appeal to the 360/PS3 gamers.

It's because a lot of those games were the SAME ones people had already played many months before on their other consoles! Mass Effect 3, Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed 3, Batman, Darksiders II, FIFA.

Then you have games like COD which people would probably rather play with their existing friends.

Tell me Jonnas, do you see the appeal there to someone who has played these games already? Right from the start, this pretty much only ever offered first party content to people like me as their third party stuff may as well not have existed.

So for me, I bit when there was enough Nintendo content, which took a while to get somewhere I felt.

Edited by Sheikah

Yeah, both Ghosts and Black Ops II. I had some great laughs with lostmario, Zechs, Kav and Blade on it. :D

Genuinely didn't know that. Thought CoD fell into that category of game that just isn't hardcore enough for Nintendo fans. :indeed: Shall have to check out some impressions but kudos to them for bringing their games to the Nintendo audience. icon14.gif

Genuinely didn't know that. Thought CoD fell into that category of game that just isn't hardcore enough for Nintendo fans. :indeed: Shall have to check out some impressions but kudos to them for bringing their games to the Nintendo audience. icon14.gif

Yeah, Treyarch and Activision have big respect from me for continuing to support the Wii U userbase with CoD. It's never a smooth situation though. These versions never get announced with the rest of them and it's usually a guessing game as to whether it will get released.

I remember I got Ghosts last year from Game at the midnight launch. They only got 2 copies in as that was all that was preordered for the Wii U version. Everyone else around me was buying it for either the Playstation or Xbox. They must have thought I was nuts! :D

It will be interesting to see if Advanced Warfare arrives at the end of the year. There has been one or two hints but once again we are left guessing.

How the hell would that even work?

What a ridiculous idea lol

Surely you need to get an answer to your question before you can make an assertion on an idea that your words show you don't understand.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all, not as a general concept.

Well its easy to make a top down rpg maker, you'd have generic tiles you could fit together, open spaces you could fill with generic buildings. then you'd be able to place grass/trees/npc's/trainers/radioactive bushes only pokemon can cut down etc specifiy areas encounter rates....

Its quite doable, there are many RPG makers out there, obviously a plot would be something you'd have dificulty making so there would have to be predetermined plots and obviously scripts for each NPC

would take a long time to make an effective pokemon length RPG so might not be worth doing on that basis, but technically easily able to produce as a maker game, its only story/script that throws curveballs

I'd buy it but considering what would be required it would be a full price £40 game surely not just a NES remix style bite size thing

Serious question amidst all this comedy fanboy 'I love Nintendo more' 'NO I love Nintendo more' discussion, CoD came out on the Wii U?

Hmm? To me its totally the opposite.

The new fashionable trend here is to enter any given thread with a "mmm-yeah, Nintendo really need to be doing dis (insert fanboy wankfest), becos...sales... More exposure... Just like Pleysteyshuuun."

:heh:

Hmm? To me its totally the opposite.

The new fashionable trend here is to enter any given thread with a "mmm-yeah, Nintendo really need to be doing dis (insert fanboy wankfest), becos...sales... More exposure... Just like Pleysteyshuuun."

:heh:

I hardly think anyone on here is a Playstation/Xbox fanboy. Most of us on here own multiple consoles ( Wii U and either a Playstation or Xbox ) and as such have become accustomed to having certain features on a games machine.

No offense to any Nintendo only gamers but I find it easier to take on board the opinion of someone who does play on the other consoles, as well as Nintendo ones, as they have a wider view of things.

You may be happy with the console ( to a degree I am aswell ) but there are people on here who aren't. Just look how many people on here have jumped ship to another platform.

If Nintendo were doing their job and appealing to gamers then the Wii U would be looking a lot healthier now. I know you don't like sales chatter but sales figures give a good indication of what the market wants and at the moment they simply don't want the Wii U. Do these figures matter when it comes to enjoying the console? Not at all but they may have future repercussions as to how long Nintendo will stay the course.