NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

@Blade Spin the bottle is a brilliant game. Genuinely brilliant party game.

As for top of their game, I agree to an extent - Mario Make and Smash are series best, Pikmin 3 is one of my favourite games of all time, Splatoon, Mario Maker, even smaller games like Donkey Kong, Toad, Yoshi, Kirby... They're all incredibly high quality.

And that' just Wii U, 3DS has some unreal games as well.

Software development is not something nintendo are falling behind on. People will cry innovative software, but again, what other game is like Pikmin on another system? Or Kirby? Or even Toad? Or Splatoon? They'r pretty unique games.

I can see your point.However, Pikmin we have seen since the Gamecube, Kirby we see all the time and is similar to that game which came out on the DS.

I suppose it's what you class what Nintendo being at top of their game is. They have played it very safe this generation with an over reliance on platformers. This is for me (although the games are very good) not what Nintendo should be about.

What is unambitious about Pikmin 3? Epic single player, extensive Mission and battle mode for multiplayer? What's unambitous about the sheer volume of content of smash bros? (and don't say lack of single player mode because that isn't ambition, that's a choice, more than made up for by other modes, people may not like that but not the same thing). What' unambitious about completely redefining the shooter genre with Splatoon? Or the size of the world in Xenoblade?

And just so I full understand, what games do you think are ambitious?

People not counting Bayonetta or Wonderful 101?! Strange. So is Smash not nintendo either? Or Hyrule Warriors? Or the new Star Fox?!

No, Bayonetta and W101 are just exclusives.

Pikmin 3 should have had online. It damaged it without it.

Well, not played the new Xenoblade and i'm not necessary impressed with the size of the game world to be honest. I'm sure it is a good game but I see The Witcher 3 as being top of that genre.

I can see your point.However, Pikmin we have seen since the Gamecube, Kirby we see all the time and is similar to that game which came out on the DS.

I suppose it's what you class what Nintendo being at top of their game is. They have played it very safe this generation with an over reliance on platformers. This is for me (although the games are very good) not what Nintendo should be about.

It's one the third pikmin in 15 years or whatever, that's not bad, I mean didn't you love Witcher 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. Pikmin 3.....

Also Pikmin is unlike anything else!

Yeah Kirby as a character we see all the time, but again, this style it's only the second time. And again, it's not like there's any other game like it either.

There has been a lot of platformers, personally I think only Chibo Robo was the ridiculous one, I love Yoshi, mario, 3d mario, Donkey Kong and think they're all very different; but can understand if you're not a mega fan of them.

Pikmin 3 should have had online. It damaged it without it.

To an extent, I mean as a singe player experience it's one of th best game of the past 10 years; and local multiplayer is also one of the best. Online would've mode those two modes incredible though, I love them so much I'd easily still play it now...

Even more criminal though is the online leaderboards; Nintendo, who think it should just be friends friends friends doesn't even compare you scores with friends, only with the rest of the world....

Why are people surprised there are a lot of platformers on Nintendo consoles. It's like being surprised by all the openworld action/shooters on the competition.

Why are people surprised there are a lot of platformers on Nintendo consoles. It's like being surprised by all the openworld action/shooters on the competition.

W101 and the Bayonetta games aren't Nintendo but people cite them.

I agree to an extent, but Nintendo have been very successful as of late in bringing second parties to the fold and overseeing development. Granted more so on the 3DS than the WiiU, but they do deserve some credit in that regard. Metroid Prime would arguably fall into the same category as W101 or a Level-5 RPG. Maybe with just a bit more of a hands-on approach.

Again I'm not too keen to get bogged down with it - but how would you(or anyone else here) feel if someone decided to compare the sales of Mario and FIFA? Does nothing spring to mind on how ludicrous or irrelevant that might be?

likewise, don't want to stink up the thread with it! :)

however I'm looking at the argument, and I may be wrong from the intentions originally but this is what I thought, from the point that it's exclusive vs exclusive, rather than the genre of game. So it's a PS4 exclusive sales compared to a Wii U. So the FIFA analogy wouldn't work, but Mario vs Halo, two IP's exclusive to their respective consoles, wouldn't be ludicrous or irrevelvant. I would personally feel happy comparing those two games (3D World vs Halo 5 for example) purely from a sales perspective :)

What is unambitious about Pikmin 3? Epic single player, extensive Mission and battle mode for multiplayer? What's unambitous about the sheer volume of content of smash bros? (and don't say lack of single player mode because that isn't ambition, that's a choice, more than made up for by other modes, people may not like that but not the same thing). What' unambitious about completely redefining the shooter genre with Splatoon? Or the size of the world in Xenoblade?

And just so I full understand, what games do you think are ambitious?

People not counting Bayonetta or Wonderful 101?! Strange. So is Smash not nintendo either? Or Hyrule Warriors? Or the new Star Fox?!

It's all not very ambitious because it's mostly all that has gone before. Pikmin is a very good example of that, actually, while Smash is a very safe bet. Super Mario 3D World felt like it could have been a properly ambitious 3D adventure in the league of SM64 instead of the 2.5D world-based structure it had. There are more examples...basically, I just haven't been all that impressed.

Ambitious is Splatoon - but that was only one game. One game that I consider pretty amibitious over a very long period of time, in my opinion. As cool an idea Mario Maker is, it's not the kind of ambition I'm talking about (it's still centered around another 2D platformer).

I'm sure I remember in discussions @Serebii would explain that new IPs were probably not worth pursuing, or too risky (something to that effect). Splatoon sales should surely show what Nintendo need to do. Keep a continuously updated Smash in the sideline and move focus to new IP.

Edited by Sheikah

I'm not surprised. I just want more variety.

The lack of variety is one of the reasons why I play on a second console.

Maybe I'm being short-sighted, but I don't remember playing an abundance of 2D platformers on the N64, Gamecube and Wii?...

It's all not very ambitious because it's mostly all that has gone before. Pikmin is a very good example of that, actually, while Smash is a very safe bet. Super Mario 3D World felt like it could have been a properly ambitious 3D adventure in the league of SM64 instead of the 2.5D world-based structure it had. There are more examples...basically, I just haven't been all that impressed.

Ambitious is Splatoon - but that was only one game. One game that I consider pretty amibitious over a very long period of time, in my opinion.

I'm sure I remember in discussions @Serebii would explain that new IPs were probably not worth pursuing, or too risky (something to that effect). Splatoon sales should surely show what Nintendo need to do. Keep a continuously updated Smash in the sideline and move focus to new IP.

If Pikmin 3 isn't ambitious because there's been other Pikmin, does that mean Witcher 3 isn't ambitious? Or GTA5? Or other sequels?

As for Smash being a safe bet, safe in that they were always going to do it, but the sheer scope of Music, Levels and characters is insanely ambitious isn't it?

I guess I lot of it is terminology. What the word, and even its importance, of ambitious means. Tomb Raider isn't ambitious at all and feels like an Uncharted rip off, but it's one of my favourite games. Yet something like Little Big Planet is insanely ambitious but I feel it's pretty awful. As long as the game doesn't feel lazy, like Mario Tennis or Amiibo Festivall, then I'm usually fine with it.

Maybe I'm being short-sighted, but I don't remember playing an abundance of 2D platformers on the N64, Gamecube and Wii?...

Slightly different, N64 was the rise of 3D so everything was going to be in that! Beat Em ups, castlevania, platformers - all moved to 3D in a huge way. Took a while before 2d started being re-embraced

The Wii had quite a few 2d platformers though.

Even that depends on your definition. Do Monolith Soft, Camelot, Intelligent Systems and Hal Laboratiories count as Nintendo or not? Depends on who you ask.

Also, while I think we can agree that Platinum is certainly NOT Nintendo, Bayonetta and W101 wouldn't exist without Nintendo, either, so I think it's fair to thank Ninty for those games. The same way we can thank Nintendo for Goldeneye 64 and Banjo-Kazooie, basically: they didn't make them, but they made them happen.

Monolith does. The rest don't. Monolith is owned by Nintendo, the rest are independent.

Because they are and were. One success story doesn't mean that they should drop legacy stuff and just go in for new IPs. That's short-sighted and shows a lack of knowledge in the industry. New IPs do not guarantee sales

Neither were developed by Nintendo so your point is entirely irrelevant.

It's actually supporting the original point. I was just correcting the semantics.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

I think this may have a lot to do with the fact that I'm not in the UK anymore and haven't been for so long. When you're not as exposed to console gaming as a popular mainstream hobby, or when your aren't chatting with your mates about it down at the pub, seeing adverts on TV etc. it's like living in a bubble. My gaming time is a completely isolated experience these. I've never even played, or could probably name off the top of my head, a great story driven game (Something like the Last of Us, right? :D). Missing the launch undoubtedly contributed to my feelings as well. Maybe @Hero\-of\-Time said, that I got the console less then a year a go so for me there is a really big number of games I want to play and I actually jumped in just before Splatoon got released, few months later Xenoblade, so it made it even better for me.

You can see that I almost always ask for some sales, but it has nothing to do with me being "cheap", but with the fact that there so many games that I just can't afford to pay full price for so many games in such a short time (the average wage in my country is 400 euros after tax, while the games are more expensive than in Europe especially as you can't find any deals in official shop and to compare it to UK it would be equivalent having to pay about 200 pounds for a game - OK it would need a more precise calculation, but it would be about 150-200).

Btw. I read about games and ambition. I don't know if that is the problem. COD sells like crazy and I am playing (a bit) COD 2 and that game is stupid as hell in my opinion, I can see my partner getting shot 3-4 times in a row in the head and NOTHING (I mean it is a game and at the end I like it, but with these shooters I don't know how many things are really ambitious - the last shooter I really liked was STALKER - I also liked Crysis but again, I don't know what was so revolutionary in that game).

Edited by Kounan

If Pikmin 3 isn't ambitious because there's been other Pikmin, does that mean Witcher 3 isn't ambitious? Or GTA5? Or other sequels?

Pikmin 3 isn't unambitious because there are other Pikmin. It's unambitious because it's very similar in scope and gameplay to the previous games. Witcher 2 and 3 couldn't be more different.

For the record, I am not saying there is anything wrong with unambitious games, as they can scratch an itch; just that I have not seen enough ambitious games from Nintendo in recent years. A lot of safe plays.

As for Smash being a safe bet, safe in that they were always going to do it, but the sheer scope of Music, Levels and characters is insanely ambitious isn't it?

Maybe you and I work on different definitions of "amibition". To me, ambition isn't just adding a multiplier to the number of characters, levels, music tracks, etc.

I guess I lot of it is terminology. What the word, and even its importance, of ambitious means. Tomb Raider isn't ambitious at all and feels like an Uncharted rip off, but it's one of my favourite games. Yet something like Little Big Planet is insanely ambitious but I feel it's pretty awful. As long as the game doesn't feel lazy, like Mario Tennis or Amiibo Festivall, then I'm usually fine with it.

True, ambitious games can fail (not that I think LBP did). But unambitious games can fail too - fail to keep people's attention after a while.

Slightly different, N64 was the rise of 3D so everything was going to be in that! Beat Em ups, castlevania, platformers - all moved to 3D in a huge way. Took a while before 2d started being re-embraced

Then use Mario Galaxy as your example, or even Mario Sunshine. They both felt a lot more ambitious. They had something unique about them that genuinely made the games feel quite unique and fresh, at least to me.

Edited by Sheikah

Pikmin 3 isn't unambitious because there are other Pikmin. It's unambitious because it's very similar in scope and gameplay to the previous games. Witcher 2 and 3 couldn't be more different.

For the record, I am not saying there is anything wrong with unambitious games, as they can scratch an itch; just that I have not seen enough ambitious games from Nintendo in recent years. A lot of safe plays.

Maybe you and I work on different definitions of "amibition". To me, ambition isn't just adding a multiplier to the number of characters, levels, music tracks, etc.

True, ambitious games can fail (not that I think LBP did). But unambitious games can fail too - fail to keep people's attention after a while.

Then use Mario Galaxy as your example, or even Mario Sunshine. They both felt a lot more ambitious. They had something unique about them that genuinely made the games feel quite unique and fresh, at least to me.

Pimins use of having 3 characters, multitasking, the additional multiplayer modes; it's not like it's an easy sequel. And yeah, i do think the level of characters and the balance and variety involved with them is insanely ambitious. If you don't, what retail games on the PS4 would you say were ambitious?

Isn't Bloodbonred like Dark Souls (I actually have no idea if it is or not, just presumed); I'm sure someone said Witcher 3 was like Dragon age... Destiny is incredibly familiar, Batman too, the Assassins Creeds, Infamous, Uncharted no doubt. Why are these all way more ambitious?

And as for mario Sunshine and Galaxy... How is sunshine ambitious? Seems like a slightly bigger version of Mario 64 to me. And Galaxy takes the same premise but actually shrinks it down further (for the better though) but I wouldn't say they were particularly ambitious. You could argue doing a 4 player 3d platformer is more ambitious. And it's infinitely better than Sunshine :)

Another topic:

bfXhd77.jpg

I was thinking of getting Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass, but don't know how is that going to look on the Wii U and how I have to play it (has to be on TV and the Game Pad as the second screen, or I can play it on the pad only).

Pimins use of having 3 characters, multitasking, the additional multiplayer modes; it's not like it's an easy sequel. And yeah, i do think the level of characters and the balance and variety involved with them is insanely ambitious. If you don't, what retail games on the PS4 would you say were ambitious?

Maybe it's an ambitious undertaking, as in, "boy, that's a lot of work to balance all them characters". But the end result does not feel ambitious to me. Melee is still my favourite Smash game and I do not see that any game since has improved it in any remarkable way, certainly not in a way that has struck me as ambitious. The same goes for Pikmin. It's nice you can switch characters but the game overall feels...like more of the same to me. A good same, but still not the kind of new content I'd like to see from Nintendo. Or, an existing franchise improved remarkably. Remember Metroid Prime? Wasn't that a swell thing for Nintendo to do with Samus.

Isn't Bloodbonred like Dark Souls (I actually have no idea if it is or not, just presumed); I'm sure someone said Witcher 3 was like Dragon age... Destiny is incredibly familiar, Batman too, the Assassins Creeds, Infamous, Uncharted no doubt. Why are these all way more ambitious?

Man, reading this bit was just painful. :p I know you are fighting the good fight for Nintendo and all, but it seems clear you don't actually know and are...asking me? Bloodborne was quite a departure from Dark Souls in terms of gameplay and style - it went from a slow and steady shieldy castle crawler to fast paced, lovecraftian themed game. Yeah it had Dark Souls things to it but it was more ambitious a departure because of all the gameplay differences. Some of those games you mentioned aren't that ambitious, I acknowledge. But like I said, for me the problem is the balance of ambitious to non-ambitious.

And as for mario Sunshine and Galaxy... How is sunshine ambitious? Seems like a slightly bigger version of Mario 64 to me. And Galaxy takes the same premise but actually shrinks it down further (for the better though) but I wouldn't say they were particularly ambitious. You could argue doing a 4 player 3d platformer is more ambitious. And it's infinitely better than Sunshine :)

My personal opinion why Sunshine was ambitious:

- FLUDD had its own mechanics and unique feel to it - it made tackling platforms really quite different

- The scope of levels was big like Mario 64

- The levels where you lost the FLUDD were nothing short of genius, and were clearly the inspiration for many levels in Galaxy.

Edited by Sheikah

I disagree that Nintendo are at the top of their game this gen. I think we have had "more of the same" that has come before with hardly anything new (exception is obviously Splatoon, that I still haven't bought on the basis that I can't talk to my mates on it) For me, Nintendo at the top of their game is offering something different and new. Games like NSMBU, 3D World, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Pikmin 3 albeit are excellent games, don't demonstrate Nintendo being "top of their game". Shite like Spin the Bottle and that Animal Crossing Amiibo Party, Badge Arcade definitely do not demonstrate Nintendo's potential.

I do think games like OoT, Majoras Mask, SM64, Metroid Prime etc are examples at Nintendo being at the top of their game.

This is my gripe with the Wii U, I have a lot of games for it and enjoy them a lot but there's nothing ground-breaking. 90% of the games Nintendo have released on the Wii U could have been done back in the GameCube era with a slight graphical downgrade.

But I totally disagree on your Spin the Bottle statement! That's a fantastic party game and one of the craziest uses of the Wii remote I've seen. Shits all over actual Nintendo party games like Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival.

I agree with Smash, I actually think that's one of the few ambitious games Nintendo have done this generation, with their support for DLC and superb online, vast roster and bunch of new modes, it was fantastic.

Pikmin 3 to GTA comparison is ludicrous though. GTA 5 was such an expansive game, that had scope unimaginable in the PS2 era, with a great story mode and fantastic online. Pikmin 3 however, whilst great, could have easily been released exactly the same back in 2006 on the GameCube. I don't see anything new or exciting there other than flying Pikmin.

Sunshine has disappointing level design but the game design and controls are the pinnacle of 3D platforming. It's like Mario 64 on steroids!The movement options are absolutely sublime. It's like they sat down in a room and said 'How can we push Mario to his limits'?

Whilst I'm not a big Assassin's fan, games like BloodBorne are insanely complex and are designed with huge skill ceilings. The engine for that game (and Batman too) is awe-inspiring. Makes me wish I could design games lol.

I'm with Sheikah on Sunshine. It was ridiculously ambitious if we compare it to other Mario games, not only for FLUDD and clearing up mechanic (Splatoon, anyone?) but they took Mario into a completely different setting and moved away from the traditional feel of the Mario universe. This is evident in the way the fan base reacted to it. Some loved it, some hated it. I was in the former camp.

When I said they were on the top of the game I was trying to point out that every major Nintendo release on the Wii U has been the best we've seen for many, many years. In this respect, no, Nintendo haven't been overly ambitious. However, if we look at Splatoon, their approach to DLC and their farming of 2nd parties (Hyrule Warriors, Platinum Games etc), then they have been incredibly ambitious this generation. Smash Bros being the peak of the ambition. That roster will never, ever be recreated. The music, the fan service. It's not only a love letter to Nintendo, but to gaming in general.

Man, reading this bit was just painful. :p I know you are fighting the good fight for Nintendo and all, but it seems clear you don't actually know and are...asking me? Bloodborne was quite a departure from Dark Souls in terms of gameplay and style - it went from a slow and steady shieldy castle crawler to fast paced, lovecraftian themed game. Yeah it had Dark Souls things to it but it was more ambitious a departure because of all the gameplay differences. Some of those games you mentioned aren't that ambitious, I acknowledge. But like I said, for me the problem is the balance of ambitious to non-ambitious.

My personal opinion why Sunshine was ambitious:

- FLUDD had its own mechanics and unique feel to it - it made tackling platforms really quite different

- The scope of levels was big like Mario 64

- The levels where you lost the FLUDD were nothing short of genius, and were clearly the inspiration for many levels in Galaxy.

Haha, I did admit to not knowing if it was at least.

As for Sunshine, yeah Fludd was a big inclusion. I don't think it was an amazing addition so sort of slips, plus I'm not Sunshines biggest fan, but yes, those non fludd levels were incredible.

Pikmin 3 to GTA comparison is ludicrous though. GTA 5 was such an expansive game, that had scope unimaginable in the PS2 era, with a great story mode and fantastic online. Pikmin 3 however, whilst great, could have easily been released exactly the same back in 2006 on the GameCube. I don't see anything new or exciting there other than flying Pikmin.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. I was referencing the idea that just because Smash has loads more characters and stages it doesn't equal ambitious comment; basically size, so I was saying comparing to GTA5 and a much bigger, more realised world. They're both just bigger versions of went before.

Sunshine has disappointing level design but the game design and controls are the pinnacle of 3D platforming. It's like Mario 64 on steroids!The movement options are absolutely sublime. It's like they sat down in a room and said 'How can we push Mario to his limits'?

Maybe, you're making me want to play it now :) Strange they went back to basics with Galaxy's control. Forced through the wii remote I guess, but I don't feel they lost anything because of it.

The scope of levels was big like Mario 64..

I would like the next 3D Mario platformer to take return to Peach's Castle, just as in Super Mario 64, but with levels ranging from those you'd find in that game to ones we'd associate with Galaxy and 3D World :smile:

I'm more interested in the quality of the levels rather than size as bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, as Banjo-Tooie shows :heh:

Yeah sorry to chime in on yesterdays topic, but Pikmin 3 is not an 'ambitious' game for the length of time we had to wait for it.

Beyond online play, they still used some of the same original sites as locations and there is still a dubious 100 Pikmin limit on a system thats supposed to be vastly superior to the Gamecube. Pikmin 3 almost suffers from the same problems as 1, in that its all very sweet but a bit too short. We waited 9 years for an experience that was just more of the same. They also didn't give enough levels to truly take advantage of perhaps the best Pikmin type - flying Pikmin.

Pikmin 2 was ambitious, released after 3 years of 1 with two new Pikmin, tonnes more enemies, a crazy amount of cave levels, the two-player mechanic and a fleshed out beastiary.

Like @dazzybee, Im passionate about Pikmin, and I also agree that 'ambition' doesn't have to correlate to every game - but Pikmin is one of those games that is always deserving of it (especially after almost a decade)! We're not talking a yearly Fifa here.

This is one of those games that I consider to be a missed opportunity; It could and should have been a Nintendo flagship for their online community and as pretty much the only RTS type game a Nintendo console gets... I assume it was Miyamoto who didn't want this feature.

Edited by King_V

Just fired up my Wii U and went onto Miiverse after what seems like an age. Has all my posts now been deleted that were there pre journal? I had a load of stuff up noting my progress made on games such as Wind Waker and Pikmin 3 but they are no longer there.

Just fired up my Wii U and went onto Miiverse after what seems like an age. Has all my posts now been deleted that were there pre journal? I had a load of stuff up noting my progress made on games such as Wind Waker and Pikmin 3 but they are no longer there.

They're still there. If you go to a game's community, there's a section for viewing all posts pre-redesign.

You should be able to view your posts if you check you post history as well.

Y'kno what still really bugs me about Pikmin 3? The lack of quirky treasures dammit! Replacing them with fruits that were also repeated just felt so pathetic a cop-out for me. Tiny, but actually really did bother me.

Anyhow! I've had a tab open in my browser for weeks, maybe even since last year, and didn't really know where to stick it so I'm sticking it here! It's a Kotaku article from just before christmas, but it's basically just highlighting a video of some AC mockup a guy made...

Probs been posted somewhere before, but I couldn't find it on a quick glance.

Edited by Rummy

Apparently shortages of Wii U in Japan, which can be seen in the sales numbers.

Does it mean that we could expect a price drop as the new consoles should be cheaper to make now?