N-Europe

Small Wii U Update Live

Hero-of-Time

Just seen this one Gaf.

Version 3.1.0 U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:

Improvements to Standby Functions:

The standby functions will now regularly connect to the Internet when the Wii U is powered down to check for available SpotPass data or software and system updates. Software updates will be installed while the Wii U is powered down, and system updates will be installed the next time the Wii U is powered on. For further detailed information, click here.

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

*A system update providing further additions to system functionality is planned for release between the end of September and beginning of October.

Summer officially ends on 21st September. Please understand?:heh:

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Until it becomes the "Holiday Update" :laughing:

Nintendo's Christmas gift to everyone will be the update. :D

I wonder how big of an update it will be? I know they said they wanted to increase the speed of the OS but i'm hoping for a bit more from them. Cross game chat and a decent messaging system surely must be on the cards, right?

Nintendo's Christmas gift to everyone will be the update. :D

I wonder how big of an update it will be? I know they said they wanted to increase the speed of the OS but i'm hoping for a bit more from them. Cross game chat and a decent messaging system surely must be on the cards, right?

At the very least, it'll herald the release of N64 and GBA VC games (even though its not really related to the update itself per-say).

I'd hope for live streaming support via Miiverse (considering that the console already generates a live video stream during gameplay - making it a relatively trivial feature to implement), but let's just hope for basic stuff first like instant friend messaging. The poor guys are struggling just to get the thing up to speed right now, so you know... baby steps!

Maybe this is the reason Nintendo does not like to reveal release times on anything, for it they will be delayed, people will bitch complain like it's the end of the world.

Good news, tough. Now we know when to expect the update.

I think it's because it seems to be happening more and more that people are starting to get upset. The E3 2009 comic that was doing the rounds back then is pretty much what Nintendo are doing, just replace the Sony guy with Nintendo Iwata. :)

20080716.jpg

I think it's because it seems to be happening more and more that people are starting to get upset. The E3 2009 comic that was doing the rounds back then is pretty much what Nintendo are doing, just replace the Sony guy with Nintendo Iwata. :)

20080716.jpg

I think it also has something to do with the fact these are Nintendo's first steps in the HD world. We all expect/hope/desire that The Big N will be capable of delivering at least the same quality as MS and Sony are doing. But in reality maybe we should just have a little more patience while they are coming up to speed. They were 5 leagues behind and are playing catch-up on the HD/Online infrastructure/social media front. They won't surpass both other manufacturers, but at least they are progressing.

I just hope they will continue to deliver quality games with the old Nintendo magic. That's more important to me.

I think it also has something to do with the fact these are Nintendo's first steps in the HD world. We all expect/hope/desire that The Big N will be capable of delivering at least the same quality as MS and Sony are doing. But in reality maybe we should just have a little more patience while they are coming up to speed. They were 5 leagues behind and are playing catch-up on the HD/Online infrastructure/social media front. They won't surpass both other manufacturers, but at least they are progressing.

I just hope they will continue to deliver quality games with the old Nintendo magic. That's more important to me.

Absolutely.

What is baffling though is that Nintendo dropped the Wii like a brick during it's final years. At this point most people ( myself included ) thought it was dropped because they were preparing games and getting up to speed with HD development, but clearly that wasn't the case.

A few of us on here, and various other website, actually called that Nintendo were going to face the same troubles that the HD twins faced this generation and many people dismissed these claims. It wasn't until Nintendo pretty much confirmed they were struggling that people had to eat crow.

Absolutely.

What is baffling though is that Nintendo dropped the Wii like a brick during it's final years. At this point most people ( myself included ) thought it was dropped because they were preparing games and getting up to speed with HD development, but clearly that wasn't the case.

A few of us on here, and various other website, actually called that Nintendo were going to face the same troubles that the HD twins faced this generation and many people dismissed these claims. It wasn't until Nintendo pretty much confirmed they were struggling that people had to eat crow.

And you're absolutely right too! The games industry should be more honest and trustworthy in their communication to customers. Don't promise gold mountains when you can't deliver them.

Just got the update. Games load up much faster now! Nintendo Land takes about 5.5 seconds now (you don't even get to hear the 8 bit part of the song any more!), Bit Trip Runner 2 is about 4 seconds and VC games take about 2.5 seconds :D

Exiting is also a bit quicker too (You only hear the "doo, doo doo doo" sound twice now before it fades out)

Also apps/games now start booting instantly when you select them when you first boot up the system (before, if you selected an app/game immediately upon boot up, the system would stall for about 5-10 seconds while it seemed to load up the rest of the OS first - now it just starts the game up properly when you select it immediately after boot up :) )

Not bad for a minor update :)

I have noticed that it sometimes stalls when you close the software that's running though. Seems to happen randomly :(

No change to the eShop/Miiverse loading speed as far as I can tell.

Edited by Dcubed

Also apps/games now start booting instantly when you select them when you first boot up the system (before, if you selected an app/game immediately upon boot up, the system would stall for about 5-10 seconds while it seemed to load up the rest of the OS first - now it just starts the game up properly when you select it immediately after boot up :) )

Nice. That was mildly annoying side affect of the last update, hoped they would sort that with the Summer Update.

Seems they already implemented some speed boosts so the Summer Update must include some extra features.

Does this indicate we'll be getting a new Nintendo Direct soon-ish?

Nice. That was mildly annoying side affect of the last update, hoped they would sort that with the Summer Update.

Seems they already implemented some speed boosts so the Summer Update must include some extra features.

Does this indicate we'll be getting a new Nintendo Direct soon-ish?

Nah, it's due in August, going by the usual bi-monthly schedule. Before I would've expected it to coincide with the Summer update itself, but obviously that's been pushed back for a few weeks so it'll probably just come out when the update was originally due for release and include details of what new features will be included.

What they've probably done here is released part of what they planned for the "Summer Update" now, in order to placate fans for the delay. TBH, the speeds are pretty good now - I don't imagine that the autumn update will improve much more on them.

I wouldn't expect anything major in the autumn update personally. Nintendo fucking tvii would be nice, but that looks like being abandoned, if so, take it off our home screens as a major feature because it's a constant tease to what we were promised E3 2012. Notifications on miiverse messaging woudl be nice so we can see invites and such, also a quick way in, so not miiverse, messages, but messages straight away. In fact, bin off the plaza completely and the start screen into miiverse so we can see posts and messages and friend requests in an instant; plaza is the biggest waste of time and space!

I wouldn't expect anything major in the autumn update personally. Nintendo fucking tvii would be nice, but that looks like being abandoned, if so, take it off our home screens as a major feature because it's a constant tease to what we were promised E3 2012. Notifications on miiverse messaging woudl be nice so we can see invites and such, also a quick way in, so not miiverse, messages, but messages straight away. In fact, bin off the plaza completely and the start screen into miiverse so we can see posts and messages and friend requests in an instant; plaza is the biggest waste of time and space!

I disagree. The plaza is pretty cool

Maybe this is the reason Nintendo does not like to reveal release times on anything, for it they will be delayed, people will bitch complain like it's the end of the world.

Good news, tough. Now we know when to expect the update.

I understand what you are getting at but I don't remember Nintendo having such problems back in the N64 or Gamecube days (with the exception of LoZ:TP). There's delays on almost everything now, which begs the question as to whether they are being too keen to announce a date and being unrealistic or if they're project management needs a kick in the ass.

Personally I think it's the second.

I guess I'm on my own then :) I thought it was cute at first, but now find it utterly pointless. I don't really care too much what randoms think, I'd prefer it to be a visual representation of my news feed, I'd prefer 10 each of my friends with their thoughts on each game. I'd prefer one of the games to be all the private messages I have so I can see them in an instant and reply to their mii in the plaza... Id prefer the messages to be scores times or achievements my friend have done in each gne that I can then compete with from their post, if prefer to be able to favourite posts and they stay in the plaza.

Currently, it's utterly pointless and a huge waste of the OS.

I understand what you are getting at but I don't remember Nintendo having such problems back in the N64 or Gamecube days (with the exception of LoZ:TP). There's delays on almost everything now, which begs the question as to whether they are being too keen to announce a date and being unrealistic or if they're project management needs a kick in the ass.

Personally I think it's the second.

I remember it happening all the time back then. It's just due to the internet not being as big, many didn't notice. However, Nintendo have ALWAYS been one to delay games

I remember it happening all the time back then. It's just due to the internet not being as big, many didn't notice. However, Nintendo have ALWAYS been one to delay games

Really? I don't recall anything like this to the point where we even talked about it when I was back at SEGA, as we were shocked how ok everyone was with the fact that a game could just slip past schedule.

Do you recall anything particular? And I'm not talking about localisation... Nintendo of Europe have a reputation for being poor at that until more recently.

I guess I'm on my own then :)

Nah, i'm with you as well. I don't sit there looking at what random people have playing. I usually fire the console up and go straight to the game i'm playing.

It would be much better if it was filtered for your friends. It was the same when playing Nintendoland. I had a bunch of random people walking around my park, where I would much rather have people on my friend list walking around.

The only games that I remember being delayed back in the day were the Zelda ones. Most other games just had issues with localisation, like Jamba mentions.

Nintendo's policy of not announcing games until close to release has been thrown at the window due to the struggles the Wii U is having. They needed to show that games were coming, which was the right move. The problem is now that the HD development struggles have caught up with them they are having to push the games they announced further and further back.

YES! I was pleased with the speed after the initial update APART FROM the start up. It infuriated me that every time I clicked an icon when the system first started it would take 10 seconds to start the app. It feels so much more smooth now :D

I guess I'm on my own then...

Nah, i'm with you as well...

Me too. I can't remember the last time I saw the plaza as I never turn the TV on when gaming. I'm always using the Off-TV function of the Gamepad. To me, the plaza is a complete waste, no need for it at all!