NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

Played a bunch of games tonight, did pretty terrible. Used every piece of profanity I know.

Really gotta figure out who to main and in which vehicle. Digging Waluigi on the sports bike, but I'd much prefer a smaller character if they weren't so easily knocked around. So many shortcut denials when playing as Lakitu, augh.

Mario Kart TV is a nice feature but I wish you had a little more control over the footage. I want to be able to control camera angles, choose what parts of a race I want in the highlight and put in slow-motion clips. I can understand why they kept is so basic and easy to use, and it is a great feature but it would have been good to have an "advanced option" somewhere in there with a few more features.

Mario Kart TV is a nice feature but I wish you had a little more control over the footage. I want to be able to control camera angles, choose what parts of a race I want in the highlight and put in slow-motion clips. I can understand why they kept is so basic and easy to use, and it is a great feature but it would have been good to have an "advanced option" somewhere in there with a few more features.

Yeah, I played around with it yesterday and was shocked to see how basic it was. Like you, I was expecting to be able to rotate the camera, zoom in and out etc.

I was on a roll with 150cc last night - having an absolute blast! As mad as it is it does make for some adrenaline fuelled races!

Now I'm sat in work and all I wanna do is play it!

I just have this staring at me, no, TAUNTING ME. :cry:

IMG_20140602_091915_zpsxoph72zm.jpg

Is it home time yet?!

After playing a bit this weekend my thoughts:

+ Graphically it's ace

+ The new courses are some of the best ever

+ Anti-gravity is fun and open ups lots of routes and different approaches

+ Great handling

+ Seems to be less of an item cluster fuck as you can't store up items!

+ Blue shells are less regular

- Poor character roster, nowhere near as good as the Wii one

- No mini-map on the screen, looking down is a terrible idea, you need it on screen

- Poor choice of retro tracks, no old Ghost Houses or Bowser Castles

Overall a great game, but some strange decisions, especially concerning the character roster.

Maybe they could release a DLC option for this. I agree, using a shoulder button to switch between basic and advanced options would be great, sometimes there is just one particular part of a race you want.. and even if it does get selected, the angles aren't always the ones wanted :(

Toad's Turnpike is probably the only bad map, which is a shame as it was great in MK64.

Na, Melody Park is because, unlike the rest of the retro tracks, it is completely unchanged from Mario Kart 7 aside from aesthetics

Poor choice of retro tracks, no old Ghost Houses or Bowser Castles

I've notice there seem to be less of the real powerful items.

Only just realised there are no Bowser Castles! I love the Ghost Houses but these Have been missing for a while, but Bowser Castles have always been a staple.

There seem to be less courses with hairpin/right angle bends than previous versions.

Anybody want to buy a cheap, brand new, still in the Nintendo sealed wrapping version of the game?

Na, Melody Park is because, unlike the rest of the retro tracks, it is completely unchanged from Mario Kart 7 aside from aesthetics

True, but it was always one of MK7's best tracks anyway :p

That being said, the Retro tracks in MK8 in general didn't get nearly as much of an overhaul as the Retro tracks in MK7 (save for a few like Rainbow Road N64 and Toad's Turnpike). In general, they don't make as good use of the new mechanics as the Retro tracks in MK7 did IMO...

I'm fuming we got no Wario Galleon from MK7 which was THE best track in the game.

Having said that, I can forgive them as they did add Tick Tock Clock from the DS which was always a fantastic track, now made even better.

I still love Royal Raceway though. Gliding across the lake with all of the hot air balloons around you and the castle on the hill... :love:

Perfection.

Hate Toad's Turnpike. And I'm not massive on Pirahna Plant Pipeway or Melody Park. They could've chosen much better 3ds tracks IMO.

After playing a bit this weekend my thoughts:

+ Graphically it's ace

+ The new courses are some of the best ever

+ Anti-gravity is fun and open ups lots of routes and different approaches

+ Great handling

- Poor character roster, nowhere near as good as the Wii one

- No mini-map on the screen, looking down is a terrible idea, you need it on screen

- Poor choice of retro tracks, no old Ghost Houses or Bowser Castles

Overall a great game, but some strange decisions, especially concerning the character roster.

Agree with most of this. Map doesn't boer me personally but it should be there. Definitely agree with characters, such a boring line up, weirdly I didn't care before I got the game, but having it it is so limp, but again, a tiny problem.

I disagree with retro tracks though, I think in the main they're exceptional, especially as they clearly only want to use ones they've not added before.

Saying this I am absolutely certain we're getting dlc, certain of it. So extra characters and I predict 4 new cups (2 new 2 old). Give me baby park ride (excellent balloon battle map too), yoshi circuit, koopa beach and all the snes tracks possible :)

For me the biggest weaknesses are time trial and mario kart tv.

So I've three starred everything now. With the Wii Wheel. It somehow controls even better than it did on Wii! No idea how that happened.

You can bet I'm using motion controls throughout the league! And I'll let everyone know it.

I'm gonna come out and say it, I don't miss the Mini-Map one bit. I found it pretty useless in almost every Mario Kart. (Apart from DS and 7, when I'd only use it when hit by a blooper)

I absolutely ADORE the one item limit. Balances the game quite a bit and I'm really hoping it becomes the standard for the series.

Battle Mode sucks, but that was to be expected.

As for the stages, I think the new stages are impeccable. Even the first track is fun. That anti-gravity!

Retro stages are... an odd selection, the poor GBA got ridiculously ignored. Mario Circuit, as cool as the changes are, is not what I would have picked out of the stages that haven't been remade. (Still no Ribbon Road...)

And I have to ask this, is it just me, or does weight actually affect how far you can glide? I'm sure that didn't happen in 7...

Say you buy 2 copies of MK8. Is it possible to put 2 free games on the Wii U? I'm just wondering are these codes different from the norm and it's just 1 game only on 1 console only?

Say you buy 2 copies of MK8. Is it possible to put 2 free games on the Wii U? I'm just wondering are these codes different from the norm and it's just 1 game only on 1 console only?

The T&C state only one free game per club nintendo account.

Each NNID can only be linked to a single club nintendo account.

I believe you can have multiple NNID's on a single Wii U.

So as I understand it, you can set up a new club nintendo account, link it to a new NNID on your Wii U, register the second copy of the game and get a free game on the second NNID.

I don't know if you would then be able to access the 2nd NNID's content from your original NNID account.

I got two copies of mario kart and downloaded sonic and wario. You need a new club Nintendo. But that's it.

So these tournaments. What can you actually do and are they any good? I don't quite understand them, are they the same as the communities?

I got two copies of mario kart and downloaded sonic and wario. You need a new club Nintendo. But that's it.

So these tournaments. What can you actually do and are they any good? I don't quite understand them, are they the same as the communities?

Dazzy, so when I download MK8, I'll automatically get a pin code, I enter it on a new club nintendo account, then I have my free game? I don't need to set up an alternate NNID? Just I took advantage of the free game offer before I got my download code.

Dazzy, so when I download MK8, I'll automatically get a pin code, I enter it on a new club nintendo account, then I have my free game? I don't need to set up an alternate NNID? Just I took advantage of the free game offer before I got my download code.

I think you have to register the digital version first, then register the physical version on another account.

I think you have to register the digital version first, then register the physical version on another account.

So in my case, I would need to set up a whole new NNID?

Give me baby park ride (excellent balloon battle map too),.

That was the extremely short track that lasted 8 laps or so from MKDD? Loved that track.

I've been pulling my hair out all day trying to get a star rank on 150cc special cup >_<

Ended up second in North Wales' Mario Kart 8 launch event. The final round of the tournament ended up in a draw for first place, so myself and the other victor had a tie-breaker on Rainbow Road 64. T'was a neck and neck race, and we both got hit by a Chain Chomp along the way, but despite holding onto the lead for the majority of the race, on the last jump near the finish line, he gained the advantage and my red shell failed to lock on to him! Reaction in the room was loud and crazy! No cup this time, but I'm glad it was a memorable race and I still got to go home with £20 eShop credit and a Mario Kart 8 standee :grin:

The tie-breaker (I'm Baby Mario) :-

After playing the demo some more and watching the GS video review, I don't think Monster Hunter is the game for me. Strange though as fighting giant monster does sound like a lot of fun on paper. Will be picking WW instead.

Got a good kick out of this.

Luigi has one epic glare, never noticed that.

Edited by Glen-i