NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

I dunno what it is but I can't settle on a character. I am not enjoying the drifting in this game at all. The car jumps and then depending on which way you drift it moves over into that direction way more than usual. Or it seems like that compared to MK7 :shrug:

I am finding the lighter characters a bit easier but even then I still don't feel like the movement is as tight as it has been.

Due to unforeseen circumstances (see bad stuff thread) I find myself at home for the coming week instead of on a beach...wish I had £40-£50 to drop on this, would be the ideal pick me up! :) thinking of downloading Super Mario Kart as the cheaper alternative, or Minish Cap. Great to see everyone enjoying this though! :)

I've been sticking with my main man Donkey Kong but pick Daisy or Roy or Morton on occasion.

I was enjoying this game... until I started 150cc...

Fuck meeeee!

In first allll the way. Last lap, final stretch, blue shell, green shell, another green shell. Twatted out the way by Bowser... aaaand finished 11th.

Such a cruel cruel game. :(

Who have you lot been playing as then? Your usual character choice? Or finding yourself someone else to play as?!

Mii, baby! Best character in the game! That voice is freaking hilarious!

(Although, in Grand Prix, I'm using every character once to get those stamps. Then it's all Mii, Mii, Mii, Mii, Mii!)

I've been going through every character so far and messing around with random combinations of vehicle parts before settling on what I'm most comfortable with :smile:

I enjoyed using my Mii in Mario Kart 7 but the helmet, of all things, is what is putting me off using him in Mario Kart 8..

Who have you lot been playing as then? Your usual character choice? Or finding yourself someone else to play as?!

Metal mario for me, looks great in my gold kart.

Played a lot of this around noon today. Went in with the Pro Controller and didn't even use the GamePad for anything. The screen is useless and taking your eyes off the tv screen for just a second to check a map or something is suicide in this sort of thing. Plus, the Pro Controller is much more comfortable.

The game is lovely. The graphics are nice, the music is sweet and the track design is probably the best we've seen to date. The downsides for me are that there doesn't seem to be a wealth of options available, which was something that was concerning me beforehand. What is there is great, but it's lacking that one killer mode to make this more memorable.

Character of choice: Easy, Wario. Although, I'm not 'mirin that cast at all.

Well, I started playing Minish Cap but this game just kept calling me. It's like crack, pure Nintendo crack. I wasn't gonna bother trying for 3 stars on Mirror Mode but that's exactly what I've being doing and what I've just conquered. I now join the Mario Kart experts ( lostmario & RedShell ) in having a 3 star profile. Fair play to @Dcubed, he said I would crack and end up going for it. :D

All that is left is the 10,000 coins. I really don't want to do it and said I wouldn't bother but.....this game. Maybe there is hope for me to join the N-E League yet! :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time

All that is left is the 10,000 coins. I really don't want to do and said I wouldn't bother but.....this game. Maybe there is hope for me to join the N-E League yet! :D

Hope, I'll take that.

I had a play around with MKTV before and I can't believe how limited it actually is. I thought you could cut your own video from the replay but I guess not ( unless I'm missing something ). I also watched a video on Miiverse for the first time ( cheers @dazzybee ) and was shocked at how bad the quality was.

Just echoing what H-O-T said, there is something about this game that keeps pulling me back!

When I'm playing it, I can't get enough of it, and when I'm not on it, I just wanna plaaaaayyy it!!

My pro controller should arrive tomorrow. Can we just discuss how amazing Play-Asia is and the FedEx tracking system! It's been all over the show this pro controller! Hong Kong, Japan, France, Britain! :D Can't wait to finally dump the gamepad and play this comfortably! : peace:

Split screen multiplayer is an absolute blast. I do like how with 3 players the 4th square can be used to admire yourself on MKTV:heh:

Battle mode is still pretty intense and enjoyable but it would be a great move for Nintendo to bring back some of the classic maps.

Just echoing what H-O-T said, there is something about this game that keeps pulling me back! :

Crazy, isn't it?

I don't really care for the online but I'm sitting here playing it with a bunch of randoms and RedShell. I can't help myself. :D

Crazy, isn't it?

I don't really care for the online but I'm sitting here playing it with a bunch of randoms and RedShell. I can't help myself. :D

I haven't tried online yet. I never played MK:Wii online or MK7 outside of the league so don't see myself playing this much either.

I am too busy admiring each level and the amount of detail on offer!

Gotta say though, I definitely prefer the retro courses over the newer ones. Purely because they all look absolutely beautiful.

Some of the new courses are amazing though. The Mount Wario one? That to me seems like the kind of thing they were trying to achieve with Wuhu Mountain Loop (shudder) but just fell completely flat on.

I get so excited on that final snow stretch in Mount Wario! The music just adds to the rush!

Also, Toad Harbour is absolutely the new Delfino Square - which is one of my favourite tracks from the MK Series ever.

Anyway, gotta go. I've just made myself need to turn this back on again! :heh:

I haven't tried online yet. I never played MK:Wii online or MK7 outside of the league so don't see myself playing this much either.

I am too busy admiring each level and the amount of detail on offer!

Gotta say though, I definitely prefer the retro courses over the newer ones. Purely because they all look absolutely beautiful.

Some of the new courses are amazing though. The Mount Wario one? That to me seems like the kind of thing they were trying to achieve with Wuhu Mountain Loop (shudder) but just fell completely flat on.

I get so excited on that final snow stretch in Mount Wario! The music just adds to the rush!

Also, Toad Harbour is absolutely the new Delfino Square - which is one of my favourite tracks from the MK Series ever.

Anyway, gotta go. I've just made myself need to turn this back on again! :heh:

The thing I like is that, aside from a couple, the retro tracks could just easily be seen as new ones. I love how well they have been done

Came first in all three races of the final cup in Mirror Mode, then on Rainbow Road, got completely trashed. Items hit me, turning circle suddenly got a shorter angle, kept getting knocked off. Grrr

Such a great fun game. Been a while since I've played a local competitive multiplayer that went into the wee hours because everyone just wanted "one more game".

The map isn't a major gripe for me, but one thing we all found really stupid: if you want to switch from motion controls on a Wii-mote to regular controls, you have to do it in the pause menu, after the race has started!! That's just barmy.

Keep getting communication errors when trying to join online races.

Metal mario for me, looks great in my gold kart.

You know, there is a gold character...

I've used Toad since 64, but I'm finding that I'm having more success with Waluigi.

:blank:

So I just checked my emails. 3:18pm, today. I received my download code, for MK8.

They say better late than never, but in this instance, I'm not so sure.

Is there any way to play as a single player, with a Wii remote... I can't seem to not play with the Gamepad?

Is there any way to play as a single player, with a Wii remote... I can't seem to not play with the Gamepad?

Go back to the title screen and press a/2 on the first synced wiimote

If you press a on the pad it becomes the only 1 player controller. Odd

:blank:

So I just checked my emails. 3:18pm, today. I received my download code, for MK8.

They say better late than never, but in this instance, I'm not so sure.

I get your frustrations but I reckon Nintendo sent out the emails all in one go.

Sell the download code/physical copy and get some £££ back!