NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Final Fantasy XV

FFXIV is a pretty well thought of game. It still does surprisingly well for an MMO not named World of Warcraft these days. I really enjoyed my time with it.

I can't imagine FFXIII helped with the brand's reputation. Or FFXIV for that matter.

Japan quite like FFXIII ( as do I ). Lightning is stupidly popular with gamers in over there.

I liked the the entire triology :) They're all hugely underrated.

Pretty sure I read on Gamepot that FFXV had the biggest opening in UK (or Europe, not sure) in the series.

Jesus Christ, the game goes to shit at chapter 13.

what's the point in buying gear and learning the combat system if your weapons and party are stripped from you when you finally get to a key area? And the bloody Ragalia is gone, just to add insult to injury.

And don't get me started on the "stealth". It was awful. Stealth in a linear corridor with virtually no cover? Awful. I ended up just using the dodge attach to kill everything I saw, which took far longer than it should have. Abysmal.

I wouldn't mind, but it's been great up to this point.

Edited by Goafer

what's the point in buying gear and learning the combat system if your weapons and party are stripped from you when you finally get to a key area? And the bloody Ragalia is gone, just to add insult to injury.

And don't get me started on the "stealth". It was awful. Stealth in a linear corridor with virtually no cover? Awful. I ended up just using the dodge attach to kill everything I saw, which took far longer than it should have. Abysmal.

Yup. It's the real low point of the game. I have no idea what they were thinking when they come up with that whole chapter. Awful stuff. :nono:

The more I think about it, the more I think that this game is a bit of a mess.

It starts off as an open world game, then suddenly shifts to a very linear game. I don't mind the linearity, but it's a very odd shift. Then, almost as an afterthought, they allow you to go back to the open world through time travel for some reason. This feels very badly/not at all thought out and just bolted on so as not to waste the open world.

It almost feels like they wanted an open world, but realised that if they wanted to story to involve a world changing event, it wouldn't work so they cobbled together some reason why you could go back to the "unspoiled" world. I think their inexperience with open worlds shows very much in this regard.

I think their lack of open world experience also shows in the fact that they had to resort to a linear section to tell the bulk of the story. I actually preferred the linear sections as it suited the road trip aspect much better. It never felt like a road trip when you could just drive back to the start area at any point. The shift did feel very jarring though.

It starts off as an open world game, then suddenly shifts to a very linear game. I don't mind the linearity, but it's a very odd shift. Then, almost as an afterthought, they allow you to go back to the open world through time travel for some reason. This feels very badly/not at all thought out and just bolted on so as not to waste the open world.

It almost feels like they wanted an open world, but realised that if they wanted to story to involve a world changing event, it wouldn't work so they cobbled together some reason why you could go back to the "unspoiled" world. I think their inexperience with open worlds shows very much in this regard.

I think their lack of open world experience also shows in the fact that they had to resort to a linear section to tell the bulk of the story. I actually preferred the linear sections as it suited the road trip aspect much better. It never felt like a road trip when you could just drive back to the start area at any point. The shift did feel very jarring though.

Having not gotten that far, I can't say too much on it all but. They could've easily gone the Nier route. Have a midway point of no return give a good warning of what is transpiring to the gameplay and then do it.

Just don't go full Nier and have 51% of the side quests in the first half of the game. Boy they enjoyed trolling completionists.

The game works well and most importantly its fun to play. I do think the story integration is clunky. Especially the time travel element. But the main appeal is the open world which where you will spend your time.

Just started this, any tips for a n00b? only on the first chapter after getting my Merc back from the garage

Just started this, any tips for a n00b? only on the first chapter after getting my Merc back from the garage

You got your what back?

I've read stuff that they are going to patch that chapter early next year to improve it.

Also I spotted this in the 12 days of Christmas sale on PSN and couldn't say no with my bank balance recently filled by my paycheck. Gonna wait til the patch comes out before starting it though.

I got this game for xmas. I'm tempted to shelve it until the patch arrives.

Well shit. I didn't know Audi was selling designs to Mercedes now. :p

http://kotaku.com/a-final-fantasy-xv-audi-for-470-000-1788848253/

It looks nothing like an Audi R8 though, even that one in the article looks nothing like the Regalia!

Look a lot more like a Cadillac Ciel...

Cadillac_Ciel_%28concept%29_-_Flickr_-_skinnylawyer.jpg

mixed with a Rolls Royce Dawn...

dawn.jpg?itok=6HTdPMnZ

And according to this article it was modelled on Rolls Royce (not sure how legit that is though).

I got this game for xmas. I'm tempted to shelve it until the patch arrives.

What Patch?what game breaking bug do i need to look out for?

It looks nothing like an Audi R8 though, even that one in the article looks nothing like the Regalia!

Look a lot more like a Cadillac Ciel...

Cadillac_Ciel_%28concept%29_-_Flickr_-_skinnylawyer.jpg

mixed with a Rolls Royce Dawn...

dawn.jpg?itok=6HTdPMnZ

And according to this article it was modelled on Rolls Royce (not sure how legit that is though).

Actually yeah it looks like some love child of those two now you mention it

Nothing gamebreaking, it's just S-E realizing the story is not good enough so they will add more voiced scenes late game. Might be a while before that arrives though.

Nothing gamebreaking, it's just S-E realizing the story is not good enough so they will add more voiced scenes late game. Might be a while before that arrives though.

This. They can do what they want but the story will always be the weak factor for this game.

Fortunately its a very fun game to play. Looking forward to the gameplay additions.

The camera in the game is diabolical, it's a massive piece of shit. The first time I got a summons the camera was positioned in a bush. I couldn't see anything. The lock-on is crap; the only place Warping ever really feels like it's justified its existence is in Insomnia's plaza (the place featured in one of the demos); the story is inaccessible, though it gets a bit better in the last few chapters.

For every moment of fun that this game was, there were numerous moments of shitty design decisions, bad gameplay, crap writing, shitty voice acting. The whole thing fell flat.

And I got the Platinum (mainly because the only trophy I had left to do was the Adamantoise one and by that point, why not?). If I hadn't been virtually housebound for the past two weeks I doubt I'd have finished it.

I'm on Chapter 6 and i have to agree with Daft the camera control is awful! i discovered as much farming Spiracorn/Duplicorns for weapon parts for a side quest - they spawn near bushes and run around, the camera constantly made its way into a bush so i couldn't see shit!

And i don't like Fishing at all, especially after having to try and catch a Vesper Gar.....

And i miss the choice of party members, i don't really like or see any need in being forced to have the 4 guys, i'd rather like to use others - so far i've had four other guest members and really preferred the Dragoon and Marshal and generally its a little devoid of female influence, which isn't helped by Mr Serious, Photo guy and Tough Guy being as 1 dimensional as a stick man drawing

I hope that changes

but other than that i'm generally really liking the game, the story is good so far, the combat is great, the magic system is interesting (how do you make Bio,Water, non elemental magics?) and the open world is working surprisingly well

And i miss the choice of party members, i don't really like or see any need in being forced to have the 4 guys, i'd rather like to use others - so far i've had four other guest members and really preferred the Dragoon and Marshal and generally its a little devoid of female influence, which isn't helped by Mr Serious, Photo guy and Tough Guy being as 1 dimensional as a stick man drawing

I hope that changes

From chapter 9 you can glitch Aranea(the dragoon lady) in as a semi-permanent party member. It's easier to keep her around if you have completed the game. Just search for it on youtube if you're interested. Appearently, she even participates in photo ops. Edited by Tales

And i don't like Fishing at all, especially after having to try and catch a Vesper Gar.....

Fishing grew on me. Hated it at first because you start off with such crap equipment and personally I was at a loss as to what lure to use, but I did all of Navyth's missions. With the best rod and the best reel, it's a lot of fun. I've taken a good 10 minutes to reel in a few big fish.

I kind of liked the magic but I couldn't use my most powerful Blizzaga at the end because it froze my whole bloody party. I also hated the fact I had to pause and go through a couple menus to assign a bloody spell, why not a quick select of some kind. If fucking Libra didn't take long enough (literally minutes on some creatures)... It didn't half feel like I was playing American Football; 20 seconds of action, 5 minutes of sorting shit out (Also, WHY did Libra take the same amount of time on the same types of enemies? I've got an ascension skill that makes attacks on scanned enemies more effective but that means an absolute age of breaking the tension and flow of the game as I can them all).

I'm not sure you can make anything other than elemental magic.

The open world is great but there are so many small niggles like why do I have to go back to the vendor to turn in hunts? I do have a mobile phone, I know because Cid calls me on it when he's good and ready. Why can I only accept one bounty at a time?

Why don't more weapons drop? Why isn't there more armour?

As for the camping/eating mechanic, it's a really nice idea. But if I'm going to use it on the boss of a dungeon, am I expected to get to the boss then quit the fight, then find a camp site which isn't always near, then cook the right meal for resistance then traipse all the way back to the boss and fight him now I'm prepared?! How about Ignis makes some bloody snacks.

All I could think is that the Witcher did all of this supremely better.

It's like no one playtested this stinking pile of shite. it need a plethora of QoL changes for starters.

GOD DAMN IT PROMPTO STOP DYING!!

From chapter 9 you can glitch Aranea(the dragoon lady) in as a semi-permanent party member. It's easier to keep her around if you have completed the game. Just search for it on youtube if you're interested. Appearently, she even participates in photo ops.

Really? god damn! Love Aranea! I'd love her permanently (and Cindy) it would be better if i could sideline Prompto for her too! @Daft is right Prompto dies all the damn time!

I'm not overly bothered by having to go into the menu for spells and yet at the same time i am - instead of L2 bringing up the MP3 player, it should bring up a magic menu to let you cast spells you have in your flask (with the same cool down) or even R3 which isn't used, hell L1's link abilities is so rarely used that could also be moved in favour of casting

The magic works and i can live with it, but it feels like a missed opportunity to do it the way it is - equipped as a weapon - which annoys me know end when i cast then go to warp strike and can't until i realise i'm "equiped" with a spell

Libra is to long, surely a fast scan ability could have been on the ascension grid

I think i understand the 'reasoning' behind only one hunt, in that it specifically spawns in monsters at that location, so perhaps it could have caused issues having lots spawned high level monsters? ::shrug:

but yeah why can't it automatically complete via phone call? text? all the venders have voices

Not a lot of Armour? you mean outfits? do i really only have these 4? man i thought i'd start getting outfits soon to wear like armours/change appearance! i atleast thought even paid dlc for Sephiroth/Lightening/Cloud/Lightening/Dark Knight/Lightening etc

Thats shit

I think this is the first game of this gen that I have genuinely spent so much time on. As it stands, I've clocked in over 50 hours. I haven't played a game this long since South Park on the Xbox 360.

I've been trying to get every single side-mission, every weapon for the Armiger, every bounty, etc, before continuing the story. I think I'm Level 57 right now and I'm on the final chapter (or it feels like I am). The "stealth" chapter is weak but when it gets out of that, it's fun again. The story is decent. It's not the best but I've definitely seen worse.

I'm loving the game. I love the look of Altissia but I HATED getting to places.