NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Final Fantasy XV

Right there up with the final chapter of Type 0. Story wise not as ridicilous, but I don't understand why they thought of putting that in the game. Also I can't say I care much for the story at this point, or if I even understand what's going on. Just beat the final boss, I assume, and will watch the ending now, but what was the deal about

Ardyn? Some long lost king with lust for Revenge? How did he end up in the Empire? What happened to the emperor?(I assume that was his clothes in the throne in ch 13) And why was Tenebrae on fire? And Prompto being born immortal soldier and then growing up in Insomnia? I thought they were soulless. Really, it just looks like the whole second part was rushed and cut.

Yup. Fully agree with everything you said.

I'm hoping that because this is my first proper FF, I'm going to be a bit less critical.

Anyone with a Pro and a 4K TV have a preference with regards to the settings?

I just got home and am planning to watch Kingsglaive first, so I haven't had a chance to fiddle with settings at all yet.

I had a crack at the level 99 bounty this morning. I kicked it's butt, despite being only level 63. The whole fight lasted an hour, with me just doing warping strikes until my magic ran out, warp back to a rock to refill my meter and then warp striking again. Repeat for 60 minutes. :D

Just the one trophy left now, which requires me to do about 3 hours of fishing with Noctis.

I've just got through my first blockade and am now free of the desert. Does the story pick up a bit after this? Whilst I love the game, I haven't seen any great setpeices or interesting story elements that I used to love in the earlier FF games.

I think it's a problem with modern RPGs in general. I was playing through Skies of Arcadia recently and I think the reason I still love it today is that when technology was limited and things like invisible barriers were acceptable, games could do more with their settings. An perfect example is the fight on top of the train in SoA (and possibly FF7 IIRC). I just can't imagine something like that working with a modern, action RPG. The limitations of static characters/menu based combat actually works better in those situations IMO.

I do love FF15, but it doesn't have the same impact as the previous ones IMO. It's a great game, it just doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy yet. I'm still not far in, so hopefully it'll get better.

I've just got through my first blockade and am now free of the desert. Does the story pick up a bit after this? Whilst I love the game, I haven't seen any great setpeices or interesting story elements that I used to love in the earlier FF games.

There are a few decent bits here ( one amazing one in chapter 9 ) but for the most part the first half of the game has very little story to it. When the story does pick up you are left scratching your head as to why certain things even happened. It's more about doing side quests and exploring the world. It's for this reason why myself and others on the internet have compared the game to MGSV.

Both the MGS and FF series are well known for their stories but both newest entries in these franchises kind of do away with that and instead focus on an open world setting and what the player can do within the sandbox. I personally don't like the approach and would much rather a good story be the front and centre on my adventure.

Good to see SoA getting some love. God tier JRPG.

Both the MGS and FF series are well known for their stories but both newest entries in these franchises kind of do away with that and instead focus on an open world setting and what the player can do within the sandbox. I personally don't like the approach and would much rather a good story be the front and centre on my adventure.

I liked the new MGS, as the gameplay was good enough to carry it. I did miss the style/level of storytelling from MGS4, but the gameplay made up for it. I'm not sure I can say the same for FF15. The gameplay is fun, but I can see it getting repetitive.

Probably my favourite game of all time. The setting, the story, the way it takes you around the open world gradually and never feeling like something is artificially walled off, it's all perfect. Random battles can be a bit of a chore, but as mentioned before, they have their perks.

There are a few decent bits here ( one amazing one in chapter 9 ) but for the most part the first half of the game has very little story to it. When the story does pick up you are left scratching your head as to why certain things even happened. It's more about doing side quests and exploring the world. It's for this reason why myself and others on the internet have compared the game to MGSV.

MGSV started off amazing but it had a bad story. A really really bad story. An insanely bad story. I really can not describe how bad they messed up. The gamplay was nice at first, but highly repetitive and overly stretched. One of the most disrespectful games to one's time ever. Not to mention one of the worst usage of dlc in any game ever. The mother base as a whole was unforgivable. The negatives were shocking to say the least.

In FFXV's case they do achieve the most important element they needed. The gameplay. FF has been out of date since the PS2 days. They really did need something like this after countless failures when it comes to game design. Lets hope they use this game as a template, gameplay wise at the minimum. Nothing seems to be off in the same way as MGSV so far here. Big thumbs up so far. In my opinion the comparison is just flat out lazy.

I'm hoping that because this is my first proper FF, I'm going to be a bit less critical.

Anyone with a Pro and a 4K TV have a preference with regards to the settings?

I just got home and am planning to watch Kingsglaive first, so I haven't had a chance to fiddle with settings at all yet.

Well after watching the uncanny valley, finally into the game.

Sort of.

Just in the tutorial going for HDR/High it immediately felt sluggish and chunky(maybe all the titanfall2...). The running animation seems so choppy. So I dropped to HDR/Lite which feels decent. And looks good still. I can see only a small difference in resolution. (Little less crisp).

HDR I'm not noticing a big difference (thank you bland tutorial room.)

Thing is, both an excellent story and an open world can be achieved. Look at Witcher 3. Such a shame that not more games are more like it.

I'm also loving the SoA mentions. I adored that game when I managed to play it ok the GameCube.

Thing is, both an excellent story and an open world can be achieved. Look at Witcher 3. Such a shame that not more games are more like it.

I'm also loving the SoA mentions. I adored that game when I managed to play it ok the GameCube.

How is combat in the Witcher ?

SOA = Skies of Arcadia?

In FFXV's case they do achieve the most important element they needed. The gameplay. FF has been out of date since the PS2 days. They really did need something like this after countless failures when it comes to game design. Lets hope they use this game as a template, gameplay wise at the minimum. Nothing seems to be off in the same way as MGSV so far here. Big thumbs up so far. In my opinion the comparison is just flat out lazy.

It will be intersting to hear you thoughts about the game design on FFXV once you've reached the second half and actually finished the game because I don't think there is nothing really well designed about how the game ends up.

I don't see how the MGSV comparison is lazy. Both series are very story driven. The latest entries aren't. Both MGSV and FFXV looked to the West for inspiration and both went for an open world experience but at the sacrifice of other things. Both had troubled development cycles. Both games fall apart and feel rushed in the second half. Both don't feel like previous entries of the series. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Yeah, after finishing FFXV I was thinking about all the games that have been released since it's announcement and in a lot of ways the game isn't breaking any new ground or even building upon what has already came before. It certainly can be done but I guess the troubled development cycle, chopping and changing of teams and writers and switching consoles really took it's toll on the game, and it shows.

I was talking to a lad at work about the game. He was asking what I thought of it now that i'd beaten it. To be honest, the more I think and talk about the game, the more it leaves a bad after taste. I think Tim on PS I Love You summed it up well. It's a good game but it's not the game he wanted after seeing the first trailers and waiting 10 years.

How is combat in the Witcher ?

SOA = Skies of Arcadia?

The combat in Witcher is fine. I don't remember it being anything special, nor terrible. Standard action RPG affair. It's she story, consequences of your actions and setting that raises it above everything else.

Yes SoA is Skies of Arcadia. A Godly game. The gameplay is a bit dated now, but does have a few nice touches (tactical ship battles, for example). The story and setting is still great though. Well worth a play if you can find a copy for a decent price.

Combat in the Witcher 3 is only good at high difficulties, where it feels more like 2. IMO, combat in 2 was something unique and awesome, every encounter was dangerous unless you planned ahead a little. In 3, there's a lot more hack-and-slash.

My plan to play this when I came back from vacation failed as my copy has most likely been lost. It was supposed to be at a post office but no luck. Will go back tomorrow and hope it'll be there...

Complained to Amazon, not because the parcel service fucked up but because they dispatched it one day after release. They extended my Prime subscription by one month and a replacement copy is in being processed. Let's see if I'll have two copies of FFXV by Monday :D

I shall finish then for my full judgement. It has been great so far. The fun factor is very high.

Am level 30+ and making headway in the story. Which is quite lightly told so far. Less cut scenes than FFXIV or WOW Legion lol.

Just watched Kingsglaive. Great fun. Loved the final battle.

Really hope I'll get my copy tomorrow...

Edit: Just realised that I also have A King's Tale to play. Will give that a go later tonight : peace: And then there's Brotherhood to watch :D

Edited by drahkon

Got my copy :bouncy: We'll see if Amazon dispatches the second copy today. They can check if I picked up the first. I really hope they don't check :laughing:

Patch is downloading. Should be ready in 90 minutes. Time to watch Brotherhood.

So excited :D

@Hero\-of\-Time (or anyone else who's completed the game), is there any end-/post-game content? Like really high level monsters/dungeons? I read that you beat the level 99 hunt at level 63...worried that there is only one of such hunts.

I'm not sure. I usually buy the guide for these types of games so I know about such things but didn't bother with this one. I think @Tales bought it though, so he may be the better person to ask.

You can still carry on playing after you beat the game, so there is post game content in that sense.

Don't know yet. Aside from what you probably already know, I haven't seen anything. Haven't been looking either though, since like Hero says I am going to use the guide for that. The guide will arrive next week so I can tell more then.

The Gamespot review mentioned finding a bunch of huge locked doors that the reviewer assumed were post-game content but hadn't figured out how to open yet - and the videogamer review video mentioned post-game stuff, so I think there are things to do.

Picked up a copy tomorrow, looking forward to getting stuck in!

The Gamespot review mentioned finding a bunch of huge locked doors that the reviewer assumed were post-game content but hadn't figured out how to open yet - and the videogamer review video mentioned post-game stuff, so I think there are things to do.

Picked up a copy tomorrow, looking forward to getting stuck in!

Peter Brown who wrote the FFXV review for Gamespot was a guest on the Giant Bomb quick look for the game and said he had played more of the game now during the post-game sections than he did completing the main story.

Played an hour just now, completed the first hunt. Already in love with the game :D

Was walking towards a treasure spot that was guarded by level 2 monsters. "Easy", I thought. Halfway through the fight some level 8 monsters joined in...well, it was tough but I managed to win. Got a sweet sword and lots of exp.

Reached level 4 and accepted the second hunt.

he had played more of the game now during the post-game sections than he did completing the main story.

That's what I wanted to hear : peace:

Seeing as you only level up while resting, I wonder if it's possible to complete the game without ever levelling up/spending AP.

Getting the game for xmas. What are these films/anime that I need to watch? Where do I get them from?

What are these films/anime that I need to watch? Where do I get them from?

Movie: Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV - BluRay

Anime: Brotherhood -

Done a couple of hunts and reached rank 2.

Combat is awesome, but I wish there were more enemies to fight. Aside from the hunts there haven't been a lot of encounters so far.