N-Europe

Laid up in bed and it sucks!

flameboy

Now as people will know I've usually been one to share things on here but hadn't shared this but it sucks and I'm bored to hell.

One of the autistic individuals at work freaked out and trashed the place. He pulled a fence outside down, smashed a hole in a wall. Worst of all he pulled 2 light fixtures out of a ceiling and pulled the cables down and they were sparking. I ended up having to shut off the power and then cut the wires to stop him pulling them. In amongst all of this I had to give him emergency medication and such. As I was running to do this the dark I tripped and fell down the stairs. Ended up damaging my ankle pretty bad bruised to fuck. Sprained ankle and have one severly enlarged ligament. Doctors orders of bed rest for at least the rest of the week. Can't put any weight on it, absolutely kills.

At first it was fun to think well might as well make most of it and have time off my 2 jobs then it just got boring, today I've watched a few episodes of Fringe, started properly on with Battlestar Galactica, completed Thomas Was Alone, played some more Assassin's Creed 3, applied for 5 jobs (having decided I want to get out of my current job) and eaten some food. Yet still feel bored and like I'm achieving nothing. Crutches are a fucking bain in my life right now too.

Most annoying thing about it all, me and fiancee just hit the diet and fitness kick ready for summer, I'd lost 10lbs in two weeks and now I'm blah.

Now as people will know I've usually been one to share things on here but hadn't shared this but it sucks and I'm bored to hell.

One of the autistic individuals at work freaked out and trashed the place. He pulled a fence outside down, smashed a hole in a wall. Worst of all he pulled 2 light fixtures out of a ceiling and pulled the cables down and they were sparking. I ended up having to shut off the power and then cut the wires to stop him pulling them. In amongst all of this I had to give him emergency medication and such. As I was running to do this the dark I tripped and fell down the stairs. Ended up damaging my ankle pretty bad bruised to fuck. Sprained ankle and have one severly enlarged ligament. Doctors orders of bed rest for at least the rest of the week. Can't put any weight on it, absolutely kills.

At first it was fun to think well might as well make most of it and have time off my 2 jobs then it just got boring, today I've watched a few episodes of Fringe, started properly on with Battlestar Galactica, completed Thomas Was Alone, played some more Assassin's Creed 3, applied for 5 jobs (having decided I want to get out of my current job) and eaten some food. Yet still feel bored and like I'm achieving nothing. Crutches are a fucking bain in my life right now too.

Most annoying thing about it all, me and fiancee just hit the diet and fitness kick ready for summer, I'd lost 10lbs in two weeks and now I'm blah.

That sucks major balls, but it also sounds like a perfect time for a Wii U and Monster Hunter ;)

What's next on the job front?

Could you get some sort of compensation from this?

Glad to hear you played Thomas Was Alone. Bithell is a nice chap. I still maintain he owes me a drink though. The one I bought for him was way more expensive* than the one he got in his round.

*Was a bottle of Hooch, we were feeling retro.

Sorry to hear about your injury,having worked with individuals with special needs, I know how dangerous it can be. Also, being injured sucks out loud.

Two jobs?

Yeah two jobs. Work with autism company by night and home tutor regular school kids at night. That's what sucks most missing out on two lots pay.

That sucks major balls, but it also sounds like a perfect time for a Wii U and Monster Hunter ;)

What's next on the job front?

I dunno yet on the job front. Definitely

wat to something different. Regular teaching is a dead end at the moment due to government cuts.

Could you get some sort of compensation from this?

Glad to hear you played Thomas Was Alone. Bithell is a nice chap. I still maintain he owes me a drink though. The one I bought for him was way more expensive* than the one he got in his round.

*Was a bottle of Hooch, we were feeling retro.

Yeah Tomas waw Alone was good in the end. I'm not sure about compensation yet. Because im not a permanent resident yet I had to pay for all my treatment up to this point so I wanna get that back first.

I dunno yet on the job front. Definitely wat to something different. Regular teaching is a dead end at the moment due to government cuts.

Yeah Tomas waw Alone was good in the end. I'm not sure about compensation yet. Because im not a permanent resident yet I had to pay for all my treatment up to this point so I wanna get that back first.

That's even bigger major balls! Do we do that in the UK, too? Had always thought they operated quite similarly to us really. As for the job, sounds like you'd want to stay in teaching - is it more the population you work with that's causing the want for a move? Again, I've no idea what the job market is like over there, but if you wanted to stay similar how about care work with autism or LD? Might not be AS stressful, but it'd definitely be a departure from the teaching.

Sounds busy. What do you do during the day?

I wrote that completely wrong haha...Autism company by DAY and tutoring by night!

Today's achievements;

Applied for 4 jobs

Watched Mission Impossible (not a fan of Tom Cruise in particular but LOVE the Mission Impossible movies)

Ate a Nongshim noodle bowl.

Just heard back from work only get 66% pay for currently scheduled shifts and nothing after that if I'm not fit to work. Plus have to pay the Doctors $40 to fill in an insurance form to claim back the $250 I already spent, so that will be $290 in total. THEN have to go back afterwards and pay another $50 to get him to sign a return to work form.

I have traveller insurance thank god so I should get some of the costs back (only those associated with emergency side of things).

Getting weird pins and needles but a lot sharper, from what I understand that might be related to muscles so could need physio on it....

That's even bigger major balls! Do we do that in the UK, too? Had always thought they operated quite similarly to us really. As for the job, sounds like you'd want to stay in teaching - is it more the population you work with that's causing the want for a move? Again, I've no idea what the job market is like over there, but if you wanted to stay similar how about care work with autism or LD? Might not be AS stressful, but it'd definitely be a departure from the teaching.

I dunno about the UK. From what I remember didn't we just have a ruling passed that meant everyone should be allowed to receive the same free access to medical regardless of where they are. (EU Human Rights perhaps?) Over here they do have a heath system but only if you are citizen or a permanent resident. Something I hope to sort out over next year. It's kind of a joke it's not like I'm here on holiday, I'm working paying tax into the system.

As for the job. I did care work in Autism and LD before I became a teacher in the UK. I frequently have to cover care shifts in my current job as they don't actually have enough teaching hours. I find certainly here there is a tendency to over medicate which I never experienced at home meaning a lot of the individuals can't do a lot as they are out of it. So unfair on them and makes for one hell of a boring job at times. Having said that the violent incident I witnessed as as a result of a lowering medication so who knows what the right way is.

Teaching climate very bad here. It's all centrally governed by school boards and they've outright stopped recruiting to save money. I actually lost a kid I was tutoring. He had special needs as a result of a car crash and I was tutoring him, then suddenly his school decided they wanted the money instead despite not having a trained Special Needs Teacher on their books. The parents disputed it and now it turns out the money was spent on a general teaching assistant for the whole class rather than paying out for this one kid who really benefited from it immensely and was struggling in school till I took him on.

All is not lost though. I had two interviews last week for other stuff. One for a teaching job and the other working as a Soccer Coach.

I hope you feel better soon and I'm sorry it's happened to you!

Maybe you should start a blog off or something! Maybe even a vlog and join us N-E Youtubers! :p

I actually have a blog:

http://musinghumblemind.wordpress.com/

Forum post summing up posts:

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34287

But I didn't really keep it up and kind of lost my focus and voice. It's lost a lot of it's impetus as it was centred around my move to Canada. I started another blog with Mike and I realised there were some inherent problems with the idea. (it was kind of meant as a blog that was a story of peoples lives told to backdrop of videogames through letters between penpals):

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/gamingpenpals

Ok I started a new blog;

duckypresents.tumblr.com

Things coming up;

video of me driving round walmart in a mobility scooter thing.

game dev story chronicles.

list of daily achievements

reviews of something or other.

Are we talking pottering old biddy, or full throttle Mario kart homage?

Check it out for yourself:

http://duckypresents.tumblr.com/post/50497632571

It was a bit shorter than I had hoped as need to clear out a ton of video/pictures from phone so I ran out of space!

601872_10152844131935187_193342620_n.jpg

Yep this is me…you would assume at my lowest point ever but no I possibly enjoyed a trip to Wal-mart for the first ever time…however it wasn’t without it’s pitfalls.

The pleasure came from being able to cruise around and not getting hassled about moving around with a trolley (or shopping carts as they called in Canada) people actually respected my personal space, something that is hell usually. If I’m stood looking at stuff on the shelves I shouldn’t turn around to suddenly freak out that I’ve grown a second head because some smelly arsehole is stood that close to me!

I mentioned pitfalls and there was one. I think people actually thought I was retarded. Now I should “justify” my use of the word retard, a word not as commonly used in the Motherland (England). However here is perfectly acceptable when asked what you do for a living to say “I work at a school for the retarded”. However it is not something the said companies would say. Anyway with that straight I’ll move on. I had many looks of pity a couple of disgust and a few of bewilderment.

I’m a vocal guy and often make stupid remarks whilst out and about and I do notice people laugh at what I say, people even butt in the join in with the banter. However one girl was laughing at something I was saying and then looked at me and sort of scrunched up her face as if to say how adorable (like how people do with children). If I could have read her mind at that precise moment in time I’m pretty certain it would have been “Oh my God Fifty Shades of Grey is on sale, awwww look at that disabled boy ranting he is so cute, like any of it matters”

So what’s my point? Wal-mart in an Amigo Shopper is a blast! However you have to accept that as equal we want to believe society is there are still these prejudices that seem deep rooted within the mentalities of the many. As someone who has dedicated a large part of their professional career working within Special Needs Education I guess I just assumed/hoped this wasn’t the case.

EDIT:

Well I went back to Doctors to hear scan results and it's not good. He has signed off work indefinitely until I see an Orthodontic Doctor. He has concerns that one of my ligaments is avulsed. He says if it is and I walk on it too soon I run the risk of snapping the ligament. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKK!

Edited by flameboy
Automerged Doublepost

Don't tell me you crashed your Amigo Shopper?

LOL nice to know someone watched my video! Nah that's typical recovery time for what I have 6-10 weeks before can expect to be back working and walking around easily. Work won't let me back with any kind of boot on etc....

Jesus thats really bad! will your "travel" insurance cover the costs for 6 weeks off work/medical bills etc?

hope you get better soon :(

Travel insurance only covers the emergency side of medical expenses no work based compensation. I'm getting paid 66% but only for scheduled shifts I miss. Even though you can typically work the exact same hours week in week out they schedule monthly so I suspect they will be sneaky and not put me in for any shifts. I'm going to look up and see what they are actually liable for as their work insurance form asked how many hours I work per week, so ask unless its to pay out or something....

It's really bad Doctor signed me off work indefinitely until results from orthapaedic stuff happens and work have kind of left me out to rot. Like I said I have a second job home tutoring but that's as a contractor so I'm classed as self employed so losing all that money whilst I'm laid up.