Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

EA nabs the Star Wars licence. Exclusive multi year deal

http://ea.newshq.businesswire.com/press-release/company-news/walt-disney-company-and-ea-announce-multi-year-star-wars-games-agreement

BURBANK & REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines.

Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories.

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, Co-President of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to our fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

vader.jpg

Whelp! So much for us getting Star Wars games on Wii U! (Or good Star Wars games in general)

(Rushes to the Wii Shop Channel and Steam before EA convince Disney to have the Super Star Wars games removed from the Wii VC and the classic SW games removed from Steam)

Edited by Dcubed

Presenting Battlefieldfront from EA and DICE! Pay $10 to remove JarJar from the game. Pay $20 to remove ads for SW Episode 7, Finding Dory and Sims 4. Pay $30 to buy a purple lightsaber.

Edited by Dcubed

It was going to be either EA or Activision, anyway. And at the very least, it means proper Star Wars games - and the companies they've mentioned is a good start.

I think it's pretty obvious what DICE will be doing. EA know that Battlefront 3 is in high demand, and DICE are extremely experienced in that kind of genre.

Hopefully BioWare will make a new single-player KoTOR game. The MMO has pretty much failed so I don't know why EA would mention them if there wasn't something else in the works. However, we may get something closer to Mass Effect in terms of gameplay, but with more focus on melee combat and lightsabers (Biotics are essentially force powers, though).

Visceral Games are mainly known for third person shooters. LucasArts were developing a third person shooter. I predict that they've taken over 1313.

I'm disappointed they have gone and sold whole hog to a single big company rather than let developers come to them and offer up their game play ideas (something that could have happened with EA Partners if they hadn't killed it). Not surprised though, Disney get a wad of cash back towards their sizeable investment without even lifting a finger.

I think this pretty much confirms Dead Space is done. There were rumours already after Dead Space 3 sales were lower than expected (was it really ever the huge huge franchise EA wanted you to believe it was?)

I'm disappointed they have gone and sold whole hog to a single big company rather than let developers come to them and offer up their game play ideas.

But Disney have given up on "core gaming" - they don't want to evaluate each product individually and I don't think they would do a good job with it, either.

Also, it's not like LucasArts were doing a good job, either.

EA...Make a sequel to Rouge Squadron 3... and put it on Wii U :)

Would quite like a Republic Commando sequel too.

And the obvious in Battlefront sequel.

Fuck.. there were some pretty damn good Star Wars games last generation. Don't think I've played many/any current gen?

But Disney have given up on "core gaming" - they don't want to evaluate each product individually and I don't think they would do a good job with it, either.

Also, it's not like LucasArts were doing a good job, either.

That's why I also said....

Not surprised though, Disney get a wad of cash back towards their sizeable investment without even lifting a finger.