NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

It's not the first time. All 3 Donkey Kong Country games sport the Rare logo.

What amazes me is that the Jetpac arcade game is fully intact there.

How did that happen?

Now that is a surprise, maybe Rare and Nintendo have struck a deal. Or Nintendo simply forgot it was there. Either way, it's nice to see it there.

Managed to fix the camera, put it on "follow" in the menu. Otherwise, it's not a bad port.

Awesome! Out of interest, was there any input lag? Heard mixed things..And how did the game look on a HDTV?

Looks great on the TV and GamePad. I started Donkey Kong 64 straight after Mario and the visual improvements are more noticeable on that. The N64 version of DK was very blurry on my HDTV and the game has major fog and slowdown issues. This isn't the case on the VC version.

I've seen the Gaf thread with people complsining about input lag but I haven't noticed any. To be fair I tend not to notice stuff like that. Your talking to a guy who doesn't give a toss if a game is 50hz or 60hz. :D

I've seen the Gaf thread with people complsining about input lag but I haven't noticed any. To be fair I tend not to notice stuff like that. Your talking to a guy who doesn't give a toss if a game is 50hz or 60hz. :D

High-five for not noticing Hz differences!

I'm the same, which annoys @Dcubed to no end when I'm not as... Ahem... Emotionally driven as he is.

He got in a right strop when I downloaded 50hz Super Metroid.

He declared that me and me alone had "ruined the entire future of the Virtual Console"

He even made me write a post on Miiverse apologising for buying it. Complete with black borders drawn around to get the 50hz effect.

And after getting 12 stars on Mario 64, I've noticed no input lag.

Maybe it's a TV thing?

Edited by Glen-i

There have been a couple of instances where I have questioned if there was input lag, put I pegged it on it being a N64 game and they're seldom fluid

COMPARISON *DK64* WiiU "50 vs. 60 HZ" *PAL vs. JAPAN*

●YES, Nintendo did it again. This is a comparison video between the EU and japanese version from *Donkey Kong 64*/ WiiU eShop version. Sadly Nintendo put the messed up 50HZ (up to 19% slower, audio is not synch and most times slower) version instead of the 60HZ US version for sale on european eShop.

PAL version runs under 25 fps.

COMPARISON *DK64* WiiU "50 vs. 60 HZ" *PAL vs. JAPAN*

●YES, Nintendo did it again. This is a comparison video between the EU and japanese version from *Donkey Kong 64*/ WiiU eShop version. Sadly Nintendo put the messed up 50HZ (up to 19% slower, audio is not synch and most times slower) version instead of the 60HZ US version for sale on european eShop.

PAL version runs under 25 fps.

To be fair, DK64 (and Rare's titles in general) are a special case where the NTSC versions were actually timed to match the original source PAL version...

So the gameplay speed and audio timing is actually correct in the PAL version... It just runs 5FPS slower on Wii U than it's US/JPN Wii U counterpart... (and does suffer from some repeated frames on Wii U because of the unfortunate way that they've chosen to handle 50hz content on Wii U)

It still runs much smoother than the original PAL or NTSC N64 carts regardless though (which often dropped into single digit FPS and very rarely ran at anything over 15-20...)

In short, having owned 3 out of 4 of the various versions of DK64 in existence, the order of best to worst version of DK64 goes thus...

1, US/JPN Wii U VC

2, EU Wii U VC

3, PAL N64 DK64 cart (more or less the same speed as the US version but it runs in a higher resolution, as all properly optimised PAL N64 games did)

4, NTSC N64 DK64 cart

Edited by Dcubed

They really do need to add button remapping for the DS games. I do like all the choices for display modes though.

Did Mario Kart DS always give you an american phone number to call when an error pops up or is it the american version of the game that we're playing?

The DS games looks much rougher than the N64 games but I guess that's down to the difference in emulation. One thing that Mario Kart DS shows is that the draw distance on that game was really good. The cars don't seem to 'pop in'.

They really do need to add button remapping for the DS games. I do like all the choices for display modes though.

Did Mario Kart DS always give you an american phone number to call when an error pops up or is it the american version of the game that we're playing?

The DS games looks much rougher than the N64 games but I guess that's down to the difference in emulation. One thing that Mario Kart DS shows is that the draw distance on that game was really good. The cars don't seem to 'pop in'.

Don't forget that DS games are 256x192 while Nintendo 64 ones are 640x480...

Don't forget that DS games are 256x192 while Nintendo 64 ones are 640x480...

Haha, of course! That too! I blame it being a Saturday night.

Oh BTW, just wanted to chime in on the "input lag issue" that some people seem to be having with the N64 games...

I'm having nothing of the sort, be it on the TV or on the Gamepad. I'm pretty certain that if you're noticing input lag, then it's your TV causing it (which means that it's gonna affect everything, not just N64 games - you're probably noticing it in SM64 because it's such a twitch game with precise control)

My TV has an input lag of 16ms (exactly the same as the Gamepad) and I'm noticing no noticeable input lag at all. So if you're noticing it, try activating Game Mode if your TV has it or try looking for another solution (I know that some Samsung TVs have a feature which decreases input lag if you rename your HDMI source name to "PC" for instance...)

Pretty sure it always did (I remember getting annoyed when I saw it the first time :laughing: - They always had the one central Worldwide NintendoWiFiConnection.com website and no regional variants back in the day - that site actually used to have some cool stat tracking going on! You used to be able to see replays of matches in games like Metroid Prime Hunters or certain custom emblems that were made in MKDS - sort of like what they did for the Pokemon GTS website for the DS/3DS Pokemon games but not quite as detailed)

Yeah, MKDS is a real engineering marvel! It looks significantly better than MK64 and runs at over twice the FPS to boot! :D

Just a shame that DS games don't get the same high resolution rendering treatment that N64 games do on Wii U (from my understanding though, it's much more difficult and problematic to do high res rendering on DS games than most other emulated 3D consoles due to the weird way it renders graphics, so I can understand them not doing it here)

Edited by Dcubed

The release of N64 games on the Wii U has made an old bug reappear. When playing N64 games the Wii U always reports that it's sending 6 channel LPCM. As with the Wii mode this needs to be changed to send two channel so that those games that support Dolby Pro Logic can be decoded correctly.

Oh hey guys, for those of you wondering how the DS VC emulator would handle games that require the DS to be closed/put into sleep mode to progress...

Look what I found in the manual...

A67E66D9-6773-4A28-B567-8B000D213CAD_zps9oeq4tgx.jpg

Sorted :)

The release of N64 games on the Wii U has made an old bug reappear. When playing N64 games the Wii U always reports that it's sending 6 channel LPCM. As with the Wii mode this needs to be changed to send two channel so that those games that support Dolby Pro Logic can be decoded correctly.

Yeah I noticed this, really really annoying. Hope they fix it!

Oh hey guys, for those of you wondering how the DS VC emulator would handle games that require the DS to be closed/put into sleep mode to progress...

This should be made clearer. Perhaps marking the ZR menu as 'Virtual Console - Sleep Mode'. I don't think this will help the Zelda puzzles though as their clues still wouldn't suggest sleep mode.

Yeah I noticed this, really really annoying. Hope they fix it!

Nice catch!

Boy I hate Shifting Sand Land in SM64. If there's a death counter than the majority of my deaths will be in that stage alone.

Ugh, even in 1996 I hated Shifting Sand Land. Nowadays, when a desert level in a 3D Mario is swift and simple, I think "thank goodness that wasn't like Shifting Sand Land!"

Oh no no no. Shifting Sand Land was a bitch, but for number of deaths, it was allwaaaaaays Rainbow Ride for me.

Fell off that damn ride so many times. :mad::heh:

Hmm, now I wanna play Mario 64 again!

If one takes nabs me in Super Mario 64, that must be Tick Tock Clock, and 100 coin challenge. I fall off to my white demise do many times.

If one takes nabs me in Super Mario 64, that must be Tick Tock Clock, and 100 coin challenge. I fall off to my white demise do many times.

Thank god for Save States

Gotta say if you guys are struggling with Shifting Sand Lands then you really need to Mario up! Tick Tock and Rainbow Ride took the most deaths for me(and probably a few stupid ones on the bowser stages and the mountains). Such a good game, but not one I'm likely to VC up again at £7/8 - already got two N64 copies and my DS remake too!

But it was released 2 days ago....

But where do you find the time....

Here's another one for you. :heh:

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

*awaits the release of Paper Mario*

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

What do you do for work again? :p

You do these so fast.

Edited by Serebii

You made a mistake. DK64 is much better than the DKC games.

tumblr_ln52ag0HkH1qg7hkqo1_500.gif