NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

I hated DK64 when it came out. But I'm weirdly excited about playing it again....

Hero, you're brilliantly insane!

You made a mistake. DK64 is much better than the DKC games.

That's the worst post I've read on this forum for quite a while.. and that includes Wii U General Discussion :heh:

As for Donkey Kong 64, I played through it and collected everything a few years ago. Like Banjo Tooie, it was decent enough but I don't imagine I'll ever be through either game again. Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie, however, have already been played several times :grin:

I don't know if there's some input lag with DK64 for me, of have I just lost some of my reaction time, but Krazy Kong Klamour is just impossible. I couldn't beat the on in Fungi Forest without constant save states.

Maybe I should have tried playing on the GamePad screen...

I don't know if there's some input lag with DK64 for me, of have I just lost some of my reaction time, but Krazy Kong Klamour is just impossible. I couldn't beat the on in Fungi Forest without constant save states.

Maybe I should have tried playing on the GamePad screen...

If there's noticeable input lag, it's coming from your TV. The Gamepad should have no noticeable input lag though!

I saw people filming like 3 frames lag from pressing the button to it appearing on the GamePad and claiming that was indicative of input lag on them

If there's noticeable input lag, it's coming from your TV. The Gamepad should have no noticeable input lag though!

The thing is though, if people are noticing it and have seemingly never mentioned anything similar for other games then that suggests there may be some kind of lag associated with this game.

The thing is though, if people are noticing it and have seemingly never mentioned anything similar for other games then that suggests there may be some kind of lag associated with this game.

It can be a common feature when playing 50hz games on an HDTV and not using the right cable. I remember encountering this when playing Super Mario Bros. Anniversary on the Wii.

Ugh, even in 1996 I hated Shifting Sand Land. Nowadays, when a desert level in a 3D Mario is swift and simple, I think "thank goodness that wasn't like Shifting Sand Land!"

*Attempts long jump over quick sand*

Nope, long jump doesn't gain enough height/distance. Dies in quick sand.

*Wing cap runs out mid-flight*

Falls in quick sand.

*Mis-judges landing on pillar*

Butt stomps into quick sand.

*Get hit while on the pyramid and falls of side*

Too bad, there's no way to recover. Slides into quick sand.

*Rides Green Shell to collect red coin in the outer corner of map*

Holds right on the stick to go right. Mario flies of left into the quick sand. Whyyyy?

Edited by Ike

What do you do for work again? :p

You do these so fast.

I do R&D work with X-Rays.

It was a bank holiday weekend, which meant plenty of gaming. I usually have a plan of attack on what I want to get done and then plan accordingly.

I also got Mario Party 10 finished, Lego Batman 3 ( although i'm trying to platinum that so I need to spend some more time on it ) and have just started Kuru Kuru Kururin. I didn't plan on playing Kuru but I needed a break from Batman ( playing 3 collecting heavy platformers has taken its toll :) ) and will probably get that finished tonight seeing how show it is.

You made a mistake. DK64 is much better than the DKC games.

78d9404548d72960a29be1ba563fac9eda2a298f15fc2160cfd113bbaa6aba1d.jpg

I do R&D work with X-Rays.

It was a bank holiday weekend, which meant plenty of gaming. I usually have a plan of attack on what I want to get done and then plan accordingly.

I also got Mario Party 10 finished, Lego Batman 3 ( although i'm trying to platinum that so I need to spend some more time on it ) and have just started Kuru Kuru Kururin. I didn't plan on playing Kuru but I needed a break from Batman ( playing 3 collecting heavy platformers has taken its toll :) ) and will probably get that finished tonight seeing how show it is.

Now it all makes sense. You got the superpower of fast game completion due to your continued exposure to radiation.

I've recently gone on a retro rampage. DKC on the SNES is great, but it hasn't aged as well as SMW or Yoshi's Island. The mine cart stages are infuriating as the sprites are too large and you can't accurately gauge what is coming. It's still a great title though.

On a side note, a couple of games that are still phenomenal are Super Castlevania (the best in the series by a country mile) and Super Probotector (another series best). Also, Cybernator is mint too.

I never played DK64, but all this talk makes me want to give it go...

Here's another one for you. :heh:

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

*awaits the release of Paper Mario*

JmBkN.gif

You sir are a maniac of the highest order! I salute you! : peace: (and also a crazy masochist! No way would I ever want to 101% DK64 again!! :o )

I own both SM64 and DK64 on the Wii U VC. My TV has 16ms of input lag (1 frame - the same as the Wii U Gamepad) and there is no noticable lag with these games (DK64's 50hz-within-60hz-duplicated-frames issues aside).

It's the same thing as when people complained about input lag with Punchout NES on the VC. It's not that the game has any extra input lag associated with it that any other game doesn't, it's just that these are very precise games with snappy controls - meaning that you're more inclined to notice the input lag that your TV gives off than with some other games.

To take GTA 4 for example (which has about 133ms of input lag inherent to the game itself IIRC, and that's before your TV's input lag is added on top of that). With that game, you're not going to notice the extra input lag from your TV as much as you would with something like SM64, because the game has very sluggish controls anyway.

Edited by Dcubed

The problem I had with DK64 was the amount of backtracking - you walk across the level and you'll see coins/bananas/barrels of different colours, meaning you have to keep going back to the character select barrel. Compared to Banjo Kazooie it is a bit of a mess.

DKC is pure bliss though.

JmBkN.gif

You sir are a maniac of the highest order! I salute you! : peace: (and also a crazy masochist! No way would I ever want to 101% DK64 again!! :o )

I own both SM64 and DK64 on the Wii U VC. My TV has 16ms of input lag (1 frame - the same as the Wii U Gamepad) and there is no noticable lag with these games (DK64's 50hz-within-60hz-duplicated-frames issues aside).

It's the same thing as when people complained about input lag with Punchout NES on the VC. It's not that the game has any extra input lag associated with it that any other game doesn't, it's just that these are very precise games with snappy controls - meaning that you're more inclined to notice the input lag that your TV gives off than with some other games.

To take GTA 4 for example (which has about 133ms of input lag inherent to the game itself IIRC, and that's before your TV's input lag is added on top of that). With that game, you're not going to notice the extra input lag from your TV as much as you would with something like SM64, because the game has very sluggish controls anyway.

People also need to double check the lag the originals had from button pressing

The Many Ways You Can Play Yoshi's Island DS on Wii U - IGN Play

The original DS Phat was so ugly. They should have put the DS Lite in there as the border.

Always seemed like such a missed trick to not let you change the border colour on 3DS GB/GBC titles to have other colour/model GBs as your background... (especially since Game Gear VC titles let you do that)

It's extra annoying with DS VC titles on Wii U though because the original fat DS is so ugly!

Edit: Nothing this week for VC at all!? Oh come on!!!!

I get that last week had a lot, but come on!!! Don't slow down now!! :mad:

Edited by Dcubed

I snapped up Mario Kart DS last night ( which netted me Wario for free ) and had a play around with it. I was just playing on the GamePad, so the graphics didn't look that rough. I opted to have the top screen on the left and large, while the bottom screen was on the right and small. I quite like that setup and it's far better than having the DS take up most of the screen.

I snapped up Mario Kart DS last night ( which netted me Wario for free ) and had a play around with it. I was just playing on the GamePad, so the graphics didn't look that rough. I opted to have the top screen on the left and large, while the bottom screen was on the right and small. I quite like that setup and it's far better than having the DS take up most of the screen.

Personally with MKDS, I go with the Large Screen option. Feels perfectly natural (just like playing MK8!) and I'm surprised at how well the visuals hold up! I expected them to look a lot worse on a big TV! (when playing Off TV though, I go for the Top Screen Focus option)

With Wario Ware Touched though, I go for the Vertical option. It's like playing on a jumbo DSi-XL! :D

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Bit late posting this but I finished off Shifting Sand Land on Tuesday. It was a bit easier to get the last couple of stars after taking a break. Had some trouble getting the 100 coins star for some reason.

Just about to do Tick Tock Clock red coins/100 coins which I am not looking forward to.

The restore points are literally a lifesaver for games like SM64.

The restore points are literally a lifesaver for games like SM64.

They would, but I decided not to use them.

Tick Tick clock turned out not to be too difficult at all in the end so I finished it pretty quickly in the end. Managed to finish the rest of the game today as well.

This actually marks the first time I've completed the N64 version, having only previously completed the DS version, which had quite a few changes, all the way back in 2005.

Not a lot of games these days give me the "one more go/one more star" pull to keep playing the game, not even 3D World but this game did.

It's not without it's issues though, Mario controls terribly, for some reason if you step on a slight incline Mario ends off sliding off to the distance, if you slightly jump into a wall there's massive knockback. A couple of times where I landed on the edge of a platform the game can't decide if Mario has landed or falling off so Mario just sort of ends up vibrating until the game figures out what to do. A lot of these caused what I felt were a lot of unnecessary deaths because of something I had no control over. I'd really hate to do speed runs of this game, so massive respect to people who can.

The camera can also be bad in places but I kind of give the game a free pass considering it was one of Nintendo's first 3D games.

Regardless of these, still enjoyed the game a lot and it deserves to be so well liked.

Interestingly, for some reason I thought it was more "recent" Mario games that shower you with 1-Ups, but 64 does as well.

I've started playing this too, and I can't believe how ropey it is :) The camera is just so painful. When they released a HD remaster next year for its 20th it'll be great to have a fluid camera for the whole thing. Aside from that, i can see why people clamour to a return to a huge overworld like this a bit...

Pandora’s Tower is releasing this week on the Virtual Console at €14.99 / £13.49 until 23rd April. Regular price will be €19.99 / £17.99.

Pandora’s Tower is releasing this week on the Virtual Console at €14.99 / £13.49 until 23rd April. Regular price will be €19.99 / £17.99.

That is not a VC game. VC is getting nothing this week...

I don't like where this is going... I hope that it's just because there's a lot of other stuff coming out this week...