Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo 3DS Direct + Wii U Stuff - 17th April - 3pm BST

Serebii

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess people see a 'new IP' in different ways.

Like I would have put Kid Icarus as a new IP as it was a very different style for Nintendo. Plus it may be a reboot of a 'classic franchise' but I for one never remembered it originally - and I'm 24. So to me it was very fresh and new.

I'd be happy for them to continue stepping outside of the 'norm' for games like that but that probably still isn't enough for other people. :shrugs:

I maintain, if Nintendo had revealed a new IP, let's go with "Harry the Radioactive Hamster" (an idea I had when I was 6), people would just respond with "What the hell is this? Where's my Zelda/Metroid/Starfox/F-Zero/Steel Diver"

That new Yoshi's Island game looks so much like a remake it's not even funny. I hope the giant mushroom giant egg isn't an indication of the kind of innovations we can expect from it.

Levels don't look alike but sure, remake over sequel. Makes sense

Levels don't look alike but sure, remake over sequel. Makes sense

I was talking about the fact that every single thing in the video (save for the giant mushroom giant egg) already appeared in the original game.

Seriously, I'm starting to think you're just trolling at this point.

That new Yoshi's Island game looks so much like a remake it's not even funny. I hope the giant mushroom giant egg isn't an indication of the kind of innovations we can expect from it.

I too thought it was going to be a shot for shot remake when I saw it as when he was on the platform and threw his egg at the cloud, it looked just like the very start of "Make Eggs, Throw Eggs" from the original. The super giant Egg, the original already has giant eggs, looked a bit naff and wasn't quite what I was expecting to see when he mentioned about using the 3DS features to deliver new experiences.

The pre-render sprites reminded me a bit of Yoshi's Universal Gravitation... a game in which Yoshi also looks a bit wonky.

I was talking about the fact that every single thing in the video (save for the giant mushroom giant egg) already appeared in the original game.

Seriously, I'm starting to think you're just trolling at this point.

I was being sarcastic with my post, yes. However, complaining that a sequel looks like its predecessor and thus must be a remake, that is closer to trolling

I do apologise if offence is gained, or if I have ruffled a few feathers, but I have seen many asinine statements today regarding these reveals (not here, on other places), and it has got me to the point of every single possible variation of me in every single possible parallel universe all facepalming simultaneously

Just finished watching this and...

BEST NINTENDO DIRECT EVER!!!

Well said and I completely agree. Nintendo Direct has been on an absolute roll as of late, each conference bettering the last and this one just had me glued to my seat from start to finish.

I'll be honest, Animal Crossing is a certainty for me but I haven't been 'hyped' for it, yet Shibby watering some flowers and checking out his pals place managed to put me in a state of zen. That's comfortable gaming right there and now I'm hyped for this... in a calm way...

Surprisingly what excited me most from this conference was:

Mario & Luigi: Simply put, my next most wanted 3DS game!

Mario Party:

c87312cc_luffy_smile.jpeg

but personally I thought this would be a much better fit for the Wii U, having friends or family grouped around the TV... I can feel my childhood laughs flooding back.

Bravely Default: It's finally arriving!

The new Legend of Zelda: Hardly played ALTTP so would like a VC release prior to this launching for the Wii U and/or 3DS (preferably 3DS). Personally I think this game will look amazing in 3D, it's giving me the SM3DL vibe (not just because of that Zelda stage) can't wait to check out the trailer.

2D Zelda? Yes yes yes. I love me some 2D Zelda. I think I honestly prefer 2D Zeldas to 3D ones. A Link To The Past, Link's Awakening, Oracles, Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures are all amazing and better than the Wii and DS Zelda titles.

Now all we need is a 2D Metroid. Do it Nintendo.

Anyone who has managed to get Scribblenauhts, have you seen anything in it to indicate why its suddenly being ignored

I have it and I've not seen anything in it that could possibly cause any issues, be it legal, spelling mistakes or US spellings.

its-a-mystery.jpg

We need everything to be mario. I've had an idea for a game, it's a mario rpg of sorts, bowser has found a magic star and used it to transform the world, in addition taking the opportunity to kidnap the princess and fill the world with wild minions. Mario has to travel the world capturing the minions and using them to battle, defeating 8 minibossleaders of the world to obtain star fragments that will allow him to open the magic door to proceed to the final level and take on Bowser to rescue the princess. There's 150 different minions for him to capture and evolve, 6 of which he can carry at any time, and a world to traverse in searching for them. Using a complicated and in-depth battle system utilising a rock paper scissors type system, he will soon triumph in his journey and become the best there ever was save the princess.

Or

Mario, attacked by a mysterious figure and a eating a peculiar mushroom, finally finds reason for his weight problem. He's hungry, hungry like a horse, and now he has a mouth like a vacuum. Traversing the world, he eats most of what he finds in this 2D platformer, blessed not only with the power of jumping but also the ability to such in enough air to fly. Whilst he can merely eat his enemies, he also has the ability to use them as a weapon by spitting them at his opponents, and in some cases undergoing strange transformations that give him the abilities of the very enemies he ate. The only way he can overcome his newfound appetite is by collecting all the star pieces, using them to make his way to facedown with the obvious culprit, Bowser, who is currently hiding out with the princess in a castle on top of a rock and running his own wrestling sideshow, as Peach can only wait for the young and possibly porkier plumber to attend to her rescue.

Nintendo should just rename themselves Mario Bros Co.(with a quirky moustache logo) and just make EVERYTHING mario from now on. That's the market, that's what sells, their ideas won't work otherwise. No point trying, tbh.

Since 2006, Nintendo have created numerous new IPs

I'm not doubting it, but I do prefer it when people actually give examples when they say stuff like this.

Anyhow, I've watched the Direct now and I'm mixed. Zelda 3DS whilst nice to see, and quite possibly will have interesting mechanics and gameplay, I'm sad to see being set in the LttP overworld - what's the point? What's the need? I'd much rather a 3D perspective Zelda set in the LttP world.

Yoshi's Island 3DS did look similar to the original in places, and something about both the more '3D' art of both that and LttP puts me off slightly. I tried Yoshi's Island DS, I never found the motivation to finish it - I'm wondering whether I'd actually pick up YI3DS as a result. I don't even feel pressingly overwhelmed by the Zelda either, really - though I imagine I'll end up picking it up at some point.

Dream team looks good, more of the classic mario rpg hopefully - looks like it has the character that helps make the series. New Luigi U is irrelevant to me right now, as I don't have NSMBU and not sure if I'll end up getting it at any point.

Mario Party could be good, but it falls flat without online multiplayer for me as I don't have as many local 3DSers and we wouldn't really get together for it either. If they manage to put in online with free voice chat(as in heroes of ruin) then it'd be totally ace.

The Pikmin tidbit was a joke. Flying pikmin, no way!!! THIS GAME IS GOING TO BLOW MY MIND*

*game may or may not exist, mind may or may not be blown

Edited by Rummy

We need everything to be mario. I've had an idea for a game, it's a mario rpg of sorts, bowser has found a magic star and used it to transform the world, in addition taking the opportunity to kidnap the princess and fill the world with wild minions. Mario has to travel the world capturing the minions and using them to battle, defeating 8 minibossleaders of the world to obtain star fragments that will allow him to open the magic door to proceed to the final level and take on Bowser to rescue the princess. There's 150 different minions for him to capture and evolve, 6 of which he can carry at any time, and a world to traverse in searching for them. Using a complicated and in-depth battle system utilising a rock paper scissors type system, he will soon triumph in his journey and become the best there ever was save the princess.

Or

Mario, attacked by a mysterious figure and a eating a peculiar mushroom, finally finds reason for his weight problem. He's hungry, hungry like a horse, and now he has a mouth like a vacuum. Traversing the world, he eats most of what he finds in this 2D platformer, blessed not only with the power of jumping but also the ability to such in enough air to fly. Whilst he can merely eat his enemies, he also has the ability to use them as a weapon by spitting them at his opponents, and in some cases undergoing strange transformations that give him the abilities of the very enemies he ate. The only way he can overcome his newfound appetite is by collecting all the star pieces, using them to make his way to facedown with the obvious culprit, Bowser, who is currently hiding out with the princess in a castle on top of a rock and running his own wrestling sideshow, as Peach can only wait for the young and possibly porkier plumber to attend to her rescue.

Nintendo should just rename themselves Mario Bros Co.(with a quirky moustache logo) and just make EVERYTHING mario from now on. That's the market, that's what sells, their ideas won't work otherwise. No point trying, tbh.

I'm not doubting it, but I do prefer it when people actually give examples when they say stuff like this.

Anyhow, I've watched the Direct now and I'm mixed. Zelda 3DS whilst nice to see, and quite possibly will have interesting mechanics and gameplay, I'm sad to see being set in the LttP overworld - what's the point? What's the need? I'd much rather a 3D perspective Zelda set in the LttP world.

Yoshi's Island 3DS did look similar to the original in places, and something about both the more '3D' art of both that and LttP puts me off slightly. I tried Yoshi's Island DS, I never found the motivation to finish it - I'm wondering whether I'd actually pick up YI3DS as a result. I don't even feel pressingly overwhelmed by the Zelda either, really - though I imagine I'll end up picking it up at some point.

Dream team looks good, more of the classic mario rpg hopefully - looks like it has the character that helps make the series. New Luigi U is irrelevant to me right now, as I don't have NSMBU and not sure if I'll end up getting it at any point.

Mario Party could be good, but it falls flat without online multiplayer for me as I don't have as many local 3DSers and we wouldn't really get together for it either. If they manage to put in online with free voice chat(as in heroes of ruin) then it'd be totally ace.

The Pikmin tidbit was a joke. Flying pikmin, no way!!! THIS GAME IS GOING TO BLOW MY MIND*

*game may or may not exist, mind may or may not be blown

Taken from a post on GAF since they researched it in time for me not to

Nintendo Wii

Art Style

Wii Sports

Excite Truck

Wii Play

Endless Ocean

Wii Fit

Wii Music

Disaster: Day of Crisis

Captain Rainbow

Common sense of people power TV

Tact of Magic

FlingSmash

Dynamic Slash

And-Kensaku

Pandora's Tower

Kiki Trick

Xenoblade Chronicles

The Last Story

Zangeki no Reginleiv

Wii-Ware

Bonsai Barber

Rock N’ Roll Climber

PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit

You, Me and the Cubes

Eco Shooter: Plant 530

Snowpack Park

ThruSpace

Line Attack Heroes

Fluidity

Wii-U

P-100

Panorama View

Nintendo Land

X

Nintendo DS

Polarium

Nintendogs

Jump Super Stars

Electroplankton

Big Brain Academy

Brain Age

Clubhouse Games

Magnetica

Elite Beat Agents

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Trace Memory

Master of Illusion

Slide Adventure MAGKID

Soma Bringer

Jam with the Band

Fossil Fighters

Style Savvy

Glory of Heracles

Friend Collection

Walk with me! Do you know your walking routine?

Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat?

DSi

Aura Aura Climber

Art Academy

Kappa Trail

Pinball Pulse: The Ancient Beckons

Nintendo 3DS

Steel Diver

3DS Ware

HarmoKnight

Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!

Pullblox

Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword

Dillon's Rolling Western

Ketzal's Corridors

Very good nintendo direct overall! I'm really impressed with Mario & Luigi: Dream team, the game looks amazing both visually and on gameplay!

The only thing that is not ok: showing off Pikmin 3 once AGAIN, without even having a release date.

seriously they should just not talk about this game anymore until they finally sort out when we are getting it.

One thing that suprised me: No flipnote studio 3D mention/ release date. Doesn't really matter though, we know it's coming this summer.