NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns... Returns!

A 'port' of Donkey Kong Country Returns is something I could take or leave, but now that they've confirmed a new world I may just have to snap it up :heh: I certainly wouldn't mind playing through the main game again, anyway..

A 'port' of Donkey Kong Country Returns is something I could take or leave, but now that they've confirmed a new world I may just have to snap it up :heh: I certainly wouldn't mind playing through the main game again, anyway..
I new world looks like an extra level for each of the other worlds, as opposed to a new theme of some kind though.

Never played this on the Wii. I won't lie, I'm just going to jump straight in with Easy Mode!

Never played this on the Wii. I won't lie, I'm just going to jump straight in with Easy Mode!

Why the hell not, duuude?

I've still got to finish it. Don't really see the point in getting this when I only bought it a few months back. It looks wonderful on the 3DS, so you're in for a treat.

Why the hell not, duuude?

No strong reason, but I think it stayed full price for a long time, didn't it, like New Super Mario Bros Wii? There were a few Wii platformers I missed out on/wasn't that bothered about, but I am looking forward to this on 3DS.

No strong reason, but I think it stayed full price for a long time, didn't it, like New Super Mario Bros Wii? There were a few Wii platformers I missed out on/wasn't that bothered about, but I am looking forward to this on 3DS.

It's one area the console wasn't short on, platformers.

Yeah, it was pricey for most of its lifetime. I can't really see this being much different, unfortunately.

Ahhhhh maaaaaan

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

System: Nintendo 3DS

Release Date: May 24, 2013

No. of Players: 1 (or 2 via local wireless—2 systems

& 2 Game Cards required)

Category: Side-Scrolling Platformer

Publisher: Nintendo

http://donkeykong.nintendo.com/

Definitely a downer for me. I enjoyed the hell outta co-op mode on the Wii but now both players will need the game card for the 3DS :(

Ahhhhh maaaaaan

http://donkeykong.nintendo.com/

Definitely a downer for me. I enjoyed the hell outta co-op mode on the Wii but now both players will need the game card for the 3DS :(

Makes sense though. According to Next Level, there's a file size limit for Download Play and it just wouldn't be feasible to have all those assets, essentially the entire game, through it

Thanks, it does make sense when you put it that way. Still getting it though, my pre-order will remain intact.

Gutting, and likely that not that many people will play it. Fact is, people won't play throught he whole game together in one sitting; so even as an option could't they do it so you download a world at a time to play together if there's a limit" Fuck it, each level if need be!

Also not played it on the Wii, never really played any Donkey Kong games so looking forward to this one.

According to a recent Nintendomination

video, at the recent 3DS event, this game was running at 30fps in both 2D and 3D. He said it was locked steady though.

Also, just noticed GAME have a pre-order offer on the go...

gm_widget_DK_Returns3D.jpg

A banana keyring and shopping bag.

Pre-ordered, time to finally play one of my first DK-Country games. I should venture into other DK Country titles really if i like this one, it does look interesting indeed.

A banana keyring and shopping bag.

One of the weaker pre-order bonuses I've seen in sometime. Keyring looks nice, but a bag?!

One of the weaker pre-order bonuses I've seen in sometime. Keyring looks nice, but a bag?!

To be fair, if it's a decent quality bag, it should last a while and arguably get more use than the keyring - something that chunky attached to your keys is bound to get annoying... though it could have some advantages - is that a banana in your pocket or are you just pleased to be playing DKCR without waggle?

Just looking at the size of the handles though, that doesn't look like it will be very big and certainly not fit for grocery shopping.

Edited by Captain Falcon

You going for it?

Me? Nah. Been there and done that. I don't want to trade better graphics and 60fps for portabliity, none waggle, 8 new levels and £30.

If I pick up LM soon, I might get it via the promotion thing but I certainly have no intention of actually buying it myself. I'd prefer to put that money to an all new experience.

File Size: 17,693 blocks. Which is roughly 2.16GB. For those downloading this game make sure you're prepared capacity-wise.

File Size: 17,693 blocks. Which is roughly 2.16GB. For those downloading this game make sure you're prepared capacity-wise.

My (body) SD Card is ready!

That means that it's the 3rd game to ship on a 4GB Game Card at retail. What a waste of all that extra storage! :laughing:

I'm becoming more and more tempted by this. My 3DS has been collecting dust lately but the recent influx of games has my attention peaking again....Luigi, Fire Emblem and now this. Boom, what to buy first?

*checks*

'Open Blocks 221,264'

*Laughs*

[/iwata]

:laughing:

Expect some heavy marketing

- TV and online campaign

- social activity and online ads on gaming and kids sites

- TV spots aimed at kids and housewives programming

- ads will continue to run after the game launches

- cotinnued advertising in print and online

Roger Langford, Nintendo UK product manager:

“We want to make sure that everyone knows that Donkey Kong is back. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is yet another huge release in 2013 for Nintendo 3DS. Retro Studios has done an incredible job of replicating the classic gameplay of previous Donkey Kong titles on SUper Nintendo, whilst at the same time bringing them up to date and adding many new twists and turns. Donkey Kong titles have always been enjoyed by all ages for generations and we expect this one to be no different."

https://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/donkey-kong-country-returns-3d-gets-big-tv-push/

This has been reviewed in the latest issue of ONM which got delivered to me today.

Score: 80%

In short they said:

+ Some of the most challenging platforming on 3DS

+ Brilliant use of 3d (when it works)

- A few too many port-based problems

Summary: As with any rehash of a great, it's the problems that stand out, but the uninitiated will find a huge amount to love. DK's still playing his second fiddle very nicely.

I haven't read the whole review. But skimming through it kinda says that the difficulty of the game is bad enough, but when there are moments of frantic action with precision timing required, a small move of the console will knock the sweet spot out and mean you're likely to jump / whatever at the wrong time.

They say turning the 3D off is a shame but almost required at times.

They also say that the game doesn't look as good as it does on the Wii as there is a certain level of jaggedness on show.

The good points are... well, it's a damn good game. And the biggest praise tends to go to the fact that using a button press to roll rather than a waggle is very very welcome indeed.

I'm sure the review will go online soon (if it isn't already), so you can read it yourselves in full.

Thought I'd share anyway. :)