NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns... Returns!

Really this should either be given out free to anyone who already owns DKCR, if Sony are doing that with Cross Play... or it should be a new game.

Also, if this game took up even the smallest part of Retro Studio's time, Ima fly to Japan, wait outside Nintendo HQ, and slap every single person who walks out that building. :p

Really this should either be given out free to anyone who already owns DKCR, if Sony are doing that with Cross Play... or it should be a new game.

Also, if this game took up even the smallest part of Retro Studio's time, Ima fly to Japan, wait outside Nintendo HQ, and slap every single person who walks out that building. :p

Shibata san did say that this is not just a simple port, but has been built from the ground up for the 3DS.

Fire up your 3DS this has a video available to watch in 3D.

It should be available later today. I don't see it up yet :smile:

It should be available later today. I don't see it up yet :smile:

You're right. Just took a look for myself and it's not there yet, will edit above post. Cheers.

Shibata san did say that this is not just a simple port, but has been built from the ground up for the 3DS.
That's probably the only way they could get it on to the 3DS though! It'll be the exact same game... much quicker to do than having to think of/design new levels. Plus if those screens are anything to go by.

That's probably the only way they could get it on to the 3DS though! It'll be the exact same game... much quicker to do than having to think of/design new levels. Plus if those screens are anything to go by.

Completely agree that this is going to be the same game. The point I was trying to get across is that being built from the ground up will require a lot more effort and therefore a lot more input from RETRO. Get your plane tickets and slapping hand ready.

Yeah, like OoT3D, rebuilt from the ground up to be exactly the bloody same :p

The fact is that the Wii hardware is so descrepid in terms of design that you couldn't just do a straight port, you would have to build the renderer from scratch and DKCR did some really funky things by all accounts to achieve it's look and feel.

A great game to be sure but this sold 5m on the Wii (making it Retro's best selling game) so it's not as if it went unplayed. Perhaps there will be a bonus world or two to make it slightly more tempting to double dip but when the name is the same as before with just "3D" slapped on the end, I'm not expecting much in the way of differences.

This is neither the Donkey Kong 3D Land, Donkey Kong Land 3D, or Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 I would have liked to have seen.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why anyone would want a worse looking version of the same game (take that Wave level for example)?... seeing as the vast majority of 3DS owners probably have a Wii.

If this was a brand new 3DS game and there was nothing to compare it to, then fantastic, but this?... it's not like Ocarina of Time/Starfox where you actually get a beautiful version of the game as your reward for re-buying it!

Edited by Retro_Link

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why anyone would want a worse looking version of the same game (take that Wave level for example)?... seeing as the vast majority of 3DS owners probably have a Wii.

If this was a brand new 3DS game and there was nothing to compare it to, then fantastic, but this?... it's not like Ocarina of Time/Starfox where you actually get a beautiful version of the game as your reward for re-buying it!

Because as long as it plays great then the graphics being below the wii version doesnt really matter.

Edited by Retro_Link

Daaamn the 3D in the trailer is amazing. Dat wave scene in 3D.

To be fair to the visuals you probably wont notice the imperfections as much on a 3DS screen at its correct resolution.

Because as long as it plays great then the graphics being below the wii version doesnt really matter.

Which would be fine if wasn't for the fact it only came out a couple of years ago and is still relatively fresh in the memory of most people - it doesn't help either that the game can still be found quite easily and Wii U's are backward compatible too to give an even better look to the game.

Watching the video on the 3DS doesn't make it look any better, although the quality is pretty crap on that too. You can see the reduced effects, such as on Tidal Terror (the crashing waves) and on Red Red Rising (when the lava is moving up the screen) and some of the 2D background images aren't being dealt any favours with the smaller resolution. Some things they can potentially fix, with time, others are inherently a problem with the system itself.

Hurray for no more waggle at least.

Got my hopes up very quickly and then dashed even quicker.

Graphics look utter shit in the screenshots.

If its being built from the ground up....just....do a sequel? Hmmm.

All just very predictable stuff.

Waiiit a minute, if this isn't a port and they're building it from fresh, why can't they just make a sequel? Is Nintendo's creative department really struggling these days?

Slightly inspired my Rez's facebook status

Aaaand from the looks of it, beat me to it!

Because I guess a sequel would mean Retro Studios working on it?... and personally that's the last thing I want them to be doing right now!

At least with this, hopefully Retro Studios can just pass everything off to another developer to handle/build up, like Grezzo did with OOT?

Because I guess a sequel would mean Retro Studios working on it?... and personally that's the last thing I want them to be doing right now!

At least with this, hopefully Retro Studios can just pass everything off to another developer to handle/build up, like Grezzo did with OOT?

It just seems odd to me to remake something so quickly. OoT was fair play because it was quite an old title.

The question is, why go for remaking something like this when there are older games in the series to try and remake? Why remake this one at all? It just seems like effort directed in the wrong direction.

Oh yeah I completely agree, biggest waste of time for a long time as far as I'm concerned.

I really hope there's not a single member of Retro's staff having to oversee this.

Yeah I don't get it. I just don't. I bloody loved the game, but I don't feel all too compelled to buy a worse graphicked version of it.

This is clearly aimed at people who haven't played this before, for whatever reason. Not everyone who bought a 3DS will own a Wii or a WiiU. Some people just prefer handheld gaming.

Not everything will be aimed at you. Nobody is forcing you to buy the game twice. I didn't buy it until a few months ago. There's probably still tons of people who didn't play it.

A sequel would have been fantastic. But, it's hypocritical to moan about this and yet praise and buy the likes of Ocarina of Time 3D.

Not everything will be aimed at you. Nobody is forcing you to buy the game twice. I didn't buy it until a few months ago. There's probably still tons of people who didn't play it.

As a guy who's always argued about the Wii U's immediate viability to expanded markets due to the fact a lot of the launch title experiences were available elsewhere, I'm fully aware of this.

But does it not seem a little, odd, to rebuild an entire, very recent game, rather than port it?

Plus, the only port I have bought for my 3DS is Tales of the Abyss, purely because I was unable to play the original game without forking out extra for region circumvention on my slowly dying PS2, so I don't feel I'm being hypocritical in the slightest. Merely showing my opinions on what I feel is a justified re-release.

Heck, now that I think about it, why didn't they rebuild OoT from the ground up for the 3DS? It makes no sense!

As a guy who's always argued about the Wii U's immediate viability to expanded markets due to the fact a lot of the launch title experiences were available elsewhere, I'm fully aware of this.

But does it not seem a little, odd, to rebuild an entire, very recent game, rather than port it?

That surely depends on the architecture of the Wii and the 3DS, which I know nothing about. I'm not even sure it is as simple as "porting it from the Wii to the 3DS".

This is clearly aimed at people who haven't played this before, for whatever reason. Not everyone who bought a 3DS will own a Wii or a WiiU. Some people just prefer handheld gaming.

A sequel would have been fantastic. But, it's hypocritical to moan about this and yet praise and buy the likes of Ocarina of Time 3D.

Mmm it's not really the same thing to get annoyed about.

Ocarina of Time came out in 1998 meaning a whole generation of people might not have played it, it had N64 graphics, and it was outsourced to Grezzo to develop.

DKCR came out in what... 2011? Looks better than this, and could possibly be taking resources away from Retro Studios.

OK yes I think the game is a good choice for a handheld, the levels structure and all... but is it really the game to port across?... why not choose a Gamecube game or remake a DonkeyKongCountry game? It kinda seems like "Hmm no DK on 3DS yet, lets spend time and money putting a 2yr old game on it".

Also, I'd actually like to know the number of people who own a 3DS and didn't buy a Wii, because I can't imagine they're very high! The Wii sold incredibly, whilst the 3DS is Nintendo's newest handheld.

That surely depends on the architecture of the Wii and the 3DS, which I know nothing about. I'm not even sure it is as simple as "porting it from the Wii to the 3DS".

I imagine if a third party developer like Capcom can handle porting something over pretty well, Nintendo would have no trouble!