NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns... Returns!

Oh wow! That's a shocker! Never saw that one coming :o

I'm feeling a bit better about this whole thing now :) Monster Games are big enough to handle two projects at a time (they made Excitebike World Rally at the same time as Excitebots) so they should still be making something else as well :D

The only downside to this is that I don't expect the game to run at a solid 60FPS anymore now. Monster Games' games always run at a slightly iffy framerate...

What a waste of talent.

Monster were never really going to be doing anything other than a 3DS game. Most people don't realise how tiny they are.

Monster were never really going to be doing anything other than a 3DS game. Most people don't realise how tiny they are.

They could've done a downloadable Wii U game I guess.

But even so, I really doubt that this is all they've been working on throughout the last 2 years. They did manage to release two games in 2009 after all...

This is a good move, it shouldnt take that many resources to port a game accross to the 3DS really and it frees Retro up to do something worthwhile. Please make a new Starfox game!

I actually don't mind this too much. At the very least, it means that we know this game is in good hands, whilst it also frees up Retro to do more important stuff.

I hope Monster make a racer of some kind for the 3DS. ExciteTruck2, pleeease.

I hope Monster make a racer of some kind for the 3DS. ExciteTruck2, pleeease.

I actually hope we get a proper sequel to ExciteBike 64 from them. It's been a while since I've ate dirt with 'Jumpin' Jim Rivers.. :grin:

The 3DS could do with more racers in my opinion. So hopefully this is MONSTER flexing their muscles with the system for future development. Although Nintendo seem to defy logic so this is probably wishful thinking.

As for platformers (and remakes at that), this is still a strange decision. As the 3DS market share probably skews younger I'd also be surprised if this does the numbers sales wise (especially as it is rock hard in places). However, as NSMB2 seems to be the only big 2D Nintendo platformer out there for the 3DS - this may make sense.

It's a game that has already been made and they're tailoring it for the 3ds. How is that not a port?

gtErf7f.png

DAHYM! That was fast! :o

Only 3 weeks after PKMD GTI! :D

Wow, that was fast.

I don't know if I want to get it or not. I had good fun with the Wii game but, I had fun with the Wii game...which is in my collection

Wow, that was fast.

I don't know if I want to get it or not. I had good fun with the Wii game but, I had fun with the Wii game...which is in my collection

The time trials would be great to play on the go! And the game does look amazing in 3D...

I probably won't pick this one up straight away either. Might wait for a price drop, we'll see...

Yeah, I think I'll wait and see what extras it has.

Plus, I worry I'll instinctively shake when I want to roll due to the Wii version. With NSMB2, I almost broke my 3DS XL because I instinctively shook it to get extra lift in a jump lol

I literally can't believe this is so early. I can't keep up with all the 3DS releases.

Good stuff. Get this out early, then quickly put Monster on a racer for either the WiiU or 3DS. Orrrr, maybe an all new platformer.

Pleased that this isn't one of those games that will takes moooonths to come out. Monster have better things to do with their time.

Yeah, I think I'll wait and see what extras it has.

Plus, I worry I'll instinctively shake when I want to roll due to the Wii version. With NSMB2, I almost broke my 3DS XL because I instinctively shook it to get extra lift in a jump lol

Lol I do the same thing. After playing U or Wii I always find myself doing that on DS and 2! :laughing:

Ooh! Looks like there's some extra content in the 3DS version!

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS/Donkey-Kong-Country-Returns-3D-746102.html

Go ape with the swingin’ king of the jungle! Donkey Kong and his simian sidekick Diddy Kong are back for more action-packed platforming antics in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, an enhanced version of Wii adventure Donkey Kong Country Returns, only on Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL!

Jump, race and roll your way across Donkey Kong Island on a quest to rescue DK’s beloved banana hoard from the trouble-causing Tiki Tak Tribe. Stomp on enemies, grab banana bunches and ride rockets, rhinos and much more in classic 2D platforming gameplay, stuffed full of spectacular scenes and tricky traps. Use both characters’ special skills to overcome all kinds of obstacles and explore each stage to the full – hop Diddy onto DK’s shoulders and use his Barrel Jet to hover them both over large gaps, or roll to your heart’s content and trample everything in your path.

Keep ‘em peeled for collectibles as you tear through the jungle, across beaches and beyond. Grab the letters that spell out K-O-N-G and nab puzzle pieces hidden in each stage to unlock extra content, like super-tough Trophy levels. Unlock and conquer every one of these special stages and a brand new surprise awaits!

Take on the whole game together as the terrific twosome, DK and Diddy, by teaming up with a friend in Local Play. Pelt opponents with Diddy’s Peanut Popgun and hover using his Barrel Jet, or slam bad guys into submission with Donkey Kong’s Ground Pound. The big guy can even do a Barrel Roll!

You can play the adventure exactly as you remember it in Original mode, but if the chimpy challenge gets the better of you, help is at hand. New mode makes the going just a little easier, giving Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong three hearts each instead of the usual two, letting them Kong-a for longer! Spend your hard-earned Banana Coins on helpful items from Cranky Kong’s shop, and pick up new items that help save you from falls, allow the Mine Cart and Rocket Barrel to take a second hit, and even let you use a DK Barrel whenever you like.

- Join Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and the rest of the gang in a classic 2D platformer, now playable on-the-go!

- Discover brand new content created just for Nintendo 3DS

- Play the whole adventure with a nearby pal in Local Play!

I don't imagine that it would be much new (or else they'd be shouting about it from the rooftops), so I'd bet on it being a Boss Rush mode and hopefully a couple of new levels.

If they do include some new levels, I hope one of them is that cancelled Virtual Boy themed level!

virtual-boy-donkey-kong-country-returns-small.jpg

virtual-boy-donkey-kong-country-returns-cart-screenshot-small.jpg

Would be awesome to see that level get brought back from the dead! :D

This is currently just under £27 on Shopto, seems to be the cheapest preorder. It's £34.99 on Amazon.

looking forward to this.. Will wait the few extra weeks for japanese release in June as want to play on larger screen!

man i need to get myself a EU 3DS XL soon.

Wow this game looks so detailed. Having never played the Wii version this is fast becoming my most wanted 3ds title.

It looks like it will utilise the 3d element perfectly too. :grin: