NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns... Returns!

It's been like that for about half an hour!! :o

Have you tried downloading it in sleep mode? I did just that and it was done in about 45-60 minutes (approximately).

Have you tried downloading it in sleep mode? I did just that and it was done in about 45-60 minutes (approximately).

No normally I just download everything the normal way but may try sleep mode next time.

It's probably to do with the SD card - it did it last time when I switched from the 2GB to the 4GB from my old XL.

I'm currently formatting it (which is what I did last time as per Nintendo website) and will then put everything back on it and try again.

Nightmare!

No normally I just download everything the normal way but may try sleep mode next time.

It's probably to do with the SD card - it did it last time when I switched from the 2GB to the 4GB from my old XL.

I'm currently formatting it (which is what I was told to do last time) and will then put everything back on it and try again.

Nightmare!

Na, it's more their online servers. For some reason, they don't let people download at more than 1Mbps if you're lucky

Hmm well usually it's fine and I've downloaded loads. The only time I've had a problem like this with downloading software is when to do with the SD card. According to the error code anyway.

But I'll try again in a sec - nearly finished putting all of the data back onto the card now.

Picked up my copy Friday, they didn't have the pre-order bonus stuff (well, none in stock). Didn't mind too much, wasn't fussed. But surely if you pre-order, they would have enough to go around.

Hopefully GAME have the pre-order stuff for New Leaf, if not a chat to management will be in order about it.

Anyway, loving the game. Done a few levels on the way home on Friday. Much better than waggling the controller around.

This finally downloaded after I formatted my new SD card.

I have to say I think that it's pretty damn great.

I am in the minority of people who never actually played the Wii version, so I have nothing to compare to.

I just love when Nintendo use a different character for a 2d game like this rather than Mario. It makes for such a different experience.

For instance, it took me about an hour to really 'click' controlling Donkey Kong. He is heavier than Mario, and slightly slower, so timing his jumps so he lands on top of an object or enemy took me a lot longer to get right than I would have liked! :grin:

But I love that.

Essentially this game is a classic Nintendo 2d platformer - yet it feels so different to the usual NSMB formula.

I think the game looks visually amazing, and definitely one of the better looking games on the 3ds. I know some people thought it looked worse than the Wii version but as I said above, having not played that means this is all new to me.

And I think this looks damn fine!

I only managed to get the first 'world' done last night and defeated the boss but absolutely loved it. Seems there's lots to do in terms of collectables which I like as it means I can revisit levels with an actual purpose rather than just for the sake of it.

Looking forward to playing more! :grin:

I have nothing but positive words to speak of this game. It may not be 60 fps but I prefer it on my 3DS over the Wii any day of the week.

njz29oy

Currently waiting on my free download code for this, c'mon Nintendo! Waiting on the e-mail because it's not displaying in the banner on-site - like it did for some people - will keep checking both though as I really want to download and play this today. :D

Download took a few hours for me as well. Figure'd it was just due to the size.

Enjoying it more on the 3DS than the Wii so far.

Got my code! Thank you Nintendo! :D

Now to see how long it takes... download started at 16:51

My download took about 40minutes. Preferring this to the waggle edition. Seems a perfect fit for the 3DS.

My download took about 40minutes. Preferring this to the waggle edition. Seems a perfect fit for the 3DS.

The 3D effects look great indeed, i don't normally use 3D with games as i got fed up with it. This, well it's a different story.

Wow... I'd forgotten just how evil those extra levels are, no checkpoints just pure platforming hell from start to finish.

Gotta love the challenge though. :p

Enjoying this version very much, I've put my Wii copy up on eBay.

Reached the third world earlier today, but I'm trying to resist playing as I was trying to keep this as my public transport game, but I really want to reach those new levels! :heh:

I'm surprised there aren't more people playing this! Or it could be that there are but they're so amazed by how good it is they keep forgetting to post?! :heh:

I am blown away by it personally.

Think it's an absolute stunner of a game. How good is that 3d effect too?!

I'm up to world 4 now and have been loving every second of it. Not been collecting all of the jigsaw pieces and have missed a couple of the KONG letters, but looking forward to going back and hunting those out when I've finished the main story.

I can't quite get over just how good the game looks though. The background to a lot of the levels have so much detail, I often find myself losing balloons as I'm marvelling at the surroundings rather than focusing on DK! :D

Been really impressed with the boss battles so far too. Considering most of the bosses just need you to jump on their heads a couple of times to progress, the way each worlds boss has been different to the last is really great. I loved the moles in the mining level - that was probably my favourite one so far!

My only complaint (and it's no necessarily about the game) is the fact that sometimes the camera pans out so much it's difficult to keep track of what's going on. It's not too bad when you're shot to the ledges in the background (though everything it tiny) but the boss battle with the moles I just mentioned did get tricky when the camera kept panning out and I had to time jumps and bomb throws when I could hardly see DK! :heh:

I guess those with a 3ds XL won't have too big a problem with that though, but my original made it slightly more tricky!

Loving this so far though! My favourite game at the min!

I'm on world 6 now, forgot how much I hate that world. Found the game to be easier until that world, but maybe it's because I've played the Wii version.

This version certainly helped me see the game in a new light and appreciate it more than I did before.

So for those playing it who DID play the Wii one, is the drop to 30fps instead of 60 noticeable to you? Does it detract at all visually?

So for those playing it who DID play the Wii one, is the drop to 30fps instead of 60 noticeable to you? Does it detract at all visually?

The drop to 30fps is most likely necessary in order to keep things running smoothly while in 3D... is it a decent trade-off?

Most definitely. :)

I wish this game was like Dead or Alive Dimensions where it would switch between 60fps and 30fps depending on whether you had 3D on or not. Wouldn't really matter since I play this game in 3D anyway lol :D I've completed world 8 and am now getting the rare orbs from the temple stages in each world... I wonder what awaits me in the Golden Temple?

I'm playing it, I just didn't want to be negative. I've completed the first two worlds and am still trying to get into it.

My main issue is the zoomed-out camera/lower resolution. It's just so clear this is a port, and not an enhanced one either (I'm surprised Nintendo didn't optimise it like the GBA's SNES ports). At times everything is so small, it's crazy. The game was designed for full-SD resolution and it just doesn't scale-down to the 3DS.

The other issue is the framerate. I knew it wasn't going to be 60fps, but at times it seems way less than 30fps to me. Far less. Also, is it my ears or is the music far too quiet? Compared to every single other game/bit of software on the handheld, I mean.

But don't get me wrong, I'm sure many people will get a lot of enjoyment from this game (which is why I didn't want to be negative). The atmosphere and inventiveness are amazing at times. I also love the vine-clinging and barrel-blasting. It's just that I think it could have been so much better if they'd optimised it for the 3DS's lower-res screen and locked the framerate at 60fps, however much that would have simplified the visuals.

I am blown away by it personally.

Not surprised! The Wii version is one of the best Wii games, IMO and its one of the best games I've ever played in fact/this generation/etc.

Have you played/what do you think of the original trilogy?

*Defo getting this when I eventually get a 3DS FatBoy*

Not surprised! The Wii version is one of the best Wii games, IMO and its one of the best games I've ever played in fact/this generation/etc.

Have you played/what do you think of the original trilogy?

*Defo getting this when I eventually get a 3DS FatBoy*

Yeah it's definitely very impressive.

And nope, this is the FIRST of these games I've played with DK in. :o

Where can I get me some more DK goodness?!

I call myself a Nintendo fan, but having only being introduced to them with the N64 when I was 8 it would appear I've missed loads of gems from the SNES even GB platforms! Shame on me.

And you need to get on the 3ds! Even if it's just for this game! Now is the best time to buy what with the massive back catalogue of great games and all the ones coming the rest of the year! :bouncy:

Not had any problems with the zoomed out camera on my 3DS XL, but when I played through Rayman Origins on the original 3DS, which was a similar port to this, I do remember it being a bit of a nuisance.

Got a nice surprise earlier, when I collected all the KONG letters in World 1 and 2

Unlocked a bonus level in each world for doing so. Never managed this on the Wii version, so it seems like the waggle was holding me back!

And you need to get on the 3ds! Even if it's just for this game! Now is the best time to buy what with the massive back catalogue of great games and all the ones coming the rest of the year! :bouncy:

I should have been clearer - I have a 3DS but I really want a 3DS XL.

And nope, this is the FIRST of these games I've played with DK in. :o

Words cannot suffice....thus....

Where can I get me some more DK goodness?!

I call myself a Nintendo fan, but having only being introduced to them with the N64 when I was 8 it would appear I've missed loads of gems from the SNES even GB platforms! Shame on me.

Okay. DKC is probably my favourite game series of all time. Certainly, Donkey Kong Country 2 : Diddy's Kong Quest is without the faintest shadow of a doubt, my favourite game of all time. It is perfect. Amazing worlds, great enemies, the best music of any game ever, its beautiful, and it holds up well, (both graphics) and the absolutely flawless gameplay.

You need to get these somehow, asap. 1 is awesome and 3 is also very very good, but 2 is just....absolute undeniable masterpiece NLS.

I should have been clearer - I have a 3DS but I really want a 3DS XL.

Words cannot suffice....thus....

Okay. DKC is probably my favourite game series of all time. Certainly, Donkey Kong Country 2 : Diddy's Kong Quest is without the faintest shadow of a doubt, my favourite game of all time. It is perfect. Amazing worlds, great enemies, the best music of any game ever, its beautiful, and it holds up well, (both graphics) and the absolutely flawless gameplay.

You need to get these somehow, asap. 1 is awesome and 3 is also very very good, but 2 is just....absolute undeniable masterpiece NLS.

Hahahahaha I fuckin love you Rez :laughing::love::heart:

Amazing scenes!

I now feel compelled to go out and find these games after I sent you into a frenzy with the revelation of me never playing them before! :heh: