NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns... Returns!

Mmm it's not really the same thing to get annoyed about.

Ocarina of Time came out in 1998 meaning a whole generation of people might not have played it, it had N64 graphics, and it was outsourced to Grezzo to develop.

DKCR came out in what... 2011? Looks better than this, and could possibly be taking resources away from Retro Studios.

OK yes I think the game is a good choice for a handheld, the levels structure and all... but is it really the game to port across?... why not choose a Gamecube game or remake a DonkeyKongCountry game? It kinda seems like "Hmm no DK on 3DS yet, lets spend tie and money putting a 2yr old game on it".

Also, I'd actually like to know the number of people who own a 3DS and didn't buy a Wii, because I can't imagine they're very high! The Wii sold incredibly, whilst the 3DS is Nintendo's newest handheld.

They didn't remake a DKC game or port a Gamecube game because the point is that this game is pretty fucking good and they wanted 3DS owners to experience it.

I'm pretty sure that is all there is to it. Also, yes, there will be new gamers since 1998, but they have had many opportunities over the years to play Ocarina of Time as well (during the GC era, it was included with the Wind Waker, and then the Zelda collection as well as the Wii's virtual console). So, really, if you're saying that it's only 2 years old and that's not a huge amount of time, it's not all that different to Ocarina. Gamers have had the ability to play it multiple times over the years. Including new gamers.

There will no doubt be new gamers who didn't get to play this on the Wii. So, for them, they're getting an excellent game. If it's fine to "re-make" Ocarina on 3DS, then it's fine for this too, imo.

Well I never played the Wii version so I am seriously looking forward to this.

Isn't it meant to be a really good game? If so then I think a remake / port onto the 3DS is a great idea. ::shrug:

New games would also be nice, but this is probably gonna reach a whole new market with the 3DS and could in turn see more games in this series!

They didn't remake a DKC game or port a Gamecube game because the point is that this game is pretty fucking good and they wanted 3DS owners to experience it.

I'm pretty sure that is all there is to it. Also, yes, there will be new gamers since 1998, but they have had many opportunities over the years to play Ocarina of Time as well (during the GC era, it was included with the Wind Waker, and then the Zelda collection as well as the Wii's virtual console). So, really, if you're saying that it's only 2 years old and that's not a huge amount of time, it's not all that different to Ocarina. Gamers have had the ability to play it multiple times over the years. Including new gamers.

There will no doubt be new gamers who didn't get to play this on the Wii. So, for them, they're getting an excellent game. If it's fine to "re-make" Ocarina on 3DS, then it's fine for this too, imo.

Fair enough, I just think the market's probably very small for those who haven't or aren't able to play the better Wii version. Edited by Retro_Link

I'm sure this is great news for the five people in the world who never owned a Wii but do own a 3DS.

If its being built from the ground up....just....do a sequel? Hmmm.

What, and create new textures/enemies/levels/music? Nintendo isn't made of money, ReZ!

Well I never played the Wii version so I am seriously looking forward to this.

Isn't it meant to be a really good game? If so then I think a remake / port onto the 3DS is a great idea. ::shrug:

New games would also be nice, but this is probably gonna reach a whole new market with the 3DS and could in turn see more games in this series!

This is how I feel, but my mindset always points me in the way of buying the original unless the content of the remake justifies the extra money that I could be saving if I just bought the Wii version.

So technically, I've just admitted I should wait a little longer before shouting my mouth, but I'm sticking with my view that a port would most likely have been the better option.

Fair enough, I just think the market's probably very small for those who haven't or aren't able to play the better Wii version.

You might think that, but Nintendo don't. If they can make money out of something, they will. They obviously think that there are enough people out there who will buy it for the 3DS, and they're probably right.

I'm sure this is great news for the five people in the world who never owned a Wii but do own a 3DS.

Well, Aneres above just said he's never played it. There are plenty of people out there who haven't played it. Put it this way, if Nintendo didn't think they could make money out of it, do you really think they'd bother releasing it?

I remember playing this:

Om8SC2n.png

And I haven't played the Wii version of DKCR...hmmm.

What a horrendous waste of Retro's talent :(

I really hope that they just got a small team to work on this port in their spare time. It's such a waste to stick them on a port of a game that they only just made recently!

That being said, the game really was made for 3D. That was the pervading thought in my mind the very first moment I played it (and that was the first game I wanted to see in 3D when the Dolphin emulator was updated to support 3D).

But still, it's not worth their time. If this has stopped them from working on something new, then fuck you Iwata.

I really hope that they just got a small team to work on this port in their spare time. It's such a waste to stick them on a port of a game that they only just made recently!

We don't even know if Retro are doing anything for this - Nintendo even got another company to port their beloved Ocarina of Time.

We don't even know if Retro are doing anything for this - Nintendo even got another company to port their beloved Ocarina of Time.

And that company is almost certainly already taken up by Wind Waker HD. Who else would do the port? Would Nintendo really get an external studio with no previous experience of working with them to handle the port?

It would be completely out of character for them...

Not the first time an entry in the Donkey Kong series has been ported to a handheld.

Donkey-Kong-Country.jpg

Will be intresting to see how this one sells. I won't be double dipping.

Well, Aneres above just said he's never played it. There are plenty of people out there who haven't played it. Put it this way, if Nintendo didn't think they could make money out of it, do you really think they'd bother releasing it?

a) I don't care about whether or not Nintendo will make money off this. They release so much trash that makes them tons of money, so I don't see how that's relevant.

b) You could take any game ever released and find people who haven't played it? They could port over New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which sold fifty billion copies, and there'd still people who never played it! Your argument was, "well, lots of people didn't own a Wii, so this is their chance to play it". Sure, fine, a lot of people didn't own a Wii. And a lot of people did. And if we're only counting people who didn't own a Wii but do own a 3DS, the group is even smaller.

And maybe those people should have considered getting a Wii if they wanted to play this so badly.

WI'll get it simply because the Wii version of the game has horrible waggle controls, I hate having to shake the Wii remote to make Donkey Kong roll. It feels so unintuitive!

a) I don't care about whether or not Nintendo will make money off this. They release so much trash that makes them tons of money, so I don't see how that's relevant.

b) You could take any game ever released and find people who haven't played it? They could port over New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which sold fifty billion copies, and there'd still people who never played it! Your argument was, "well, lots of people didn't own a Wii, so this is their chance to play it". Sure, fine, a lot of people didn't own a Wii. And a lot of people did. And if we're only counting people who didn't own a Wii but do own a 3DS, the group is even smaller.

And maybe those people should have considered getting a Wii if they wanted to play this so badly.

Not sure why you're getting so riled over this. :heh:

That bolded part: Because some people will just prefer handheld gaming to console gaming. DKC:R will work great on a handheld, so it makes some sense to port it. Nobody is going to want to buy a Wii to play this game if console gaming isn't their thing, but if they already own a 3DS, then they'll be much more likely to pick it up.

As for your part A, it just sounds really petulant on your part. What is trash to you might be gold for somebody else. If Nintendo didn't see any sense in doing this, they wouldn't bother. There's not really much more to it than that.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Not the first time an entry in the Donkey Kong series has been ported to a handheld.

That's the second DKC port.

WI'll get it simply because the Wii version of the game has horrible waggle controls, I hate having to shake the Wii remote to make Donkey Kong roll. It feels so unintuitive!

co-sign. I will prefer this

That's the second DKC port.

I was going to say something about Donkey Kong Land not being a port, but then I realised you actually meant a GBC port I never heard about before now.

Was it any good?

This feels like Nintendo are testing the waters on console/portable re-releases to flesh out their system portfolios.

They don't seem to be getting massive third party support anywhere so if they can crank out some old (and newer) classics from a range of systems onto their systems by outsourcing I don't see too much of a problem.

Also: decent game but we ALL know 3D remakes of DKC123 would have been the real deal. This may put that dream to bed. :(

I was going to say something about Donkey Kong Land not being a port, but then I realised you actually meant a GBC port I never heard about before now.

Was it any good?

I have fond memories of it, then again I never had a SNES. I do believe that, despite the graphics and sound capabilities of the GBC, it was a extremely well made port.

Not sure why you're getting so riled over this. :heh:

I wasn't?

But let's hope Nintendo will do Wii U ports of Sticker Star, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, etcetera and 3DS ports of Super Mario Galaxy, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, etcetera.

Because most Nintendo fans only own one or the other, apparently.

I wasn't?

But let's hope Nintendo will do Wii U ports of Sticker Star, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, etcetera and 3DS ports of Super Mario Galaxy, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, etcetera.

Because most Nintendo fans only own one or the other, apparently.

:p

Not everyone who bought a 3DS will own a Wii or a WiiU. Some people just prefer handheld gaming.
- this is what I said.

You sound really bitter and it's making it difficult to have a proper discussion on this. I've put forth a sound argument, in my opinion. This game isn't really hurting you. If you've already played this, then be happy for those that haven't and are about to play this great game. There's already been 2 or 3 people in this thread who say that they haven't played it, and we are amongst those who are in the know.

I'm not sure why you're getting so riled up about this.

They're remaking a 2-year-old game! Why in the hell would they do that, just a waste of time...I bet we'll get a 3DS version of New Super Mario Bros Wii U next... o_O

Edited by Ville

They're remaking a 2-year-old game! Why in the hell would they do that, just a waste of time...I bet we'll get a 3DS version of New Super Mario Bros Wii U next... o_O
You quoted the wrong person! :p @Magnus is the one who agrees with you on this.

This feels like Nintendo are testing the waters on console/portable re-releases to flesh out their system portfolios.

They don't seem to be getting massive third party support anywhere so if they can crank out some old (and newer) classics from a range of systems onto their systems by outsourcing I don't see too much of a problem.

Also: decent game but we ALL know 3D remakes of DKC123 would have been the real deal. This may put that dream to bed. :(

Well it's not exactly uncharted territory for Nintendo's handhelds. All of their handhelds since GBC have seen ports from older consoles before (SMBDX, the Super Mario Advance series, ALTTP GBA, Super Mario 64 DS, Diddy Kong Racing DS etc)

It's the short release date proximity and the complexity of the port that bothers me here. This is surely not a trivial port like past ones were, done by some smaller team. This port probably took up quite a few resources and for what? A port of a game that only just came out just over 2 years ago!

I can only hope that my gut feeling is wrong here, but I suspect the worst and that something has gone wrong at Retro for Nintendo to waste them on such a project as this :(