Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

darkjak

I think of all the games OOT has the least interesting art style, it's kind of generic/ standard fantasy? I don't mean it's bad, it's very well made, but in terms of visual design I find Twillight Princess, Wind Waker and Skyward sword much better looking :)

I think a good standard art style is more consistent than the new style with every Zelda... I never heard anyone complain once about art style in OOT and MM - infact by the time of MM the art style was fluid and dynamic and honed.

Changing art styles every game is somewhat of a detriment. Id be happy if they focus on advancing with a good solid, and a widely accepted style.

Like Mario, it doesnt really need to always have a different look.

I think a good standard art style is more consistent than the new style with every Zelda... I never heard anyone complain once about art style in OOT and MM - infact by the time of MM the art style was fluid and dynamic and honed.

Changing art styles every game is somewhat of a detriment. Id be happy if they focus on advancing with a good solid, and a widely accepted style.

Like Mario, it doesnt really need to always have a different look.

Of course! I didn't mean to ditch OOT's art direction at all. It does look very good. I just prefer the more creative art style of WW, TP and SK.

I don't think they should pick one art style and stick to that at all! That would basically mean all zelda games would look the same, and I really believe that would limit the team to develop new ideas. So yeah I'm all up for experimenting with the visuals if it complements the gameplay.

but art style just IS important, and it determines alot of the atmosphere in a game, so I would rather have a great game with an actual great art style that complements it. They did this with all their previous games so this shouldn't be an issue at all :)

Edited by M_rock

I'm just surprised (ok, not that surprised) when people ask the question "What do you want from Zelda U", the majority of the answers are about the graphics rather than the actual game underneath all that. Personally I don't care about the art style, I'm sure Nintendo will do a great job as always whether they go one way or the other, I'm more interested in what they do with the gameplay and whether it will fix the glaring issues recent Zeldas have had.

I'm really in the middle when it comes to art style. On the one hand, I can understand the frustration that people focus on it so much, when there are (in my opinion) many glaring issues that have built up in the 3D games. On the other hand, it does seem strange that Zelda is the one series that always seems to have a different art style. Mario always seems just right. Regardless of the space theme in Mario Galaxy, the character models and textures seemed updated exactly as they should be, and everyone's agreeing Mario Kart 8 looks incredible.

To me, the issue started with Zelda when (some) fans reacted badly to the Wind Waker art style. Technically, I wouldn't actually call the WW style a change in itself - it was more like Nintendo thought "We have more powerful technology. Now we can make it look like a playable cartoon." The upgrade worked perfectly, but unfortunately Nintendo were rattled by the response and got cold feet.

This is where the problems began. Twilight Princess (as unveiled in 2004) looked stunning, but I'd say the whole art style for the finished game left something to be desired, such as the NPC and enemy designs. I totally agree with King V about the Great Fairies, and the one I always mention (sorry) is how the Dodongos looked like gecko lizards. I don't mean to be rude, but aspects of TP are the closest the series has come to "generic".

Skyward Sword wasn't generic, but it was as though it was an attempt to please both sides, and one scared of alienating either. The early screenshots looked sharp and colourful, but remember when it suddenly started to look washed-out? I found the finished game underwhelming, visually (although I do agree with Ronnie that it's not as important an issue as gameplay).

In summary, the only 3D games I didn't love the whole art style for were those two (although I do think the TP style has a lot going for it). The ones I thought were just right were OOT (and the 3D remake), WW and (from what we've seen so far) the 2011 HD demo. Yes, it was like Twilight Princess, but everything looked just right. So what I'm saying is that although art style shouldn't be a massive issue, the reality is that it matters for a lot of people. Going forward, I hope Zelda settles into a style that is just "right". If Zelda Wii U looks like the 2011 demo, I'll be ecstatic. If it's a follow-on to the Wind Waker HD, I'll be just as ecstatic. And if it doesn't look as good as either of them, I'll be happy as long as the game itself is a return to form.

A moody dark atmopshere and some Miyazaki-like creepy/weird/funny designs would be the best. And especially a twist from the story and standard "go to place X, find Y item, enter dungeon Z and kill the boss" routine.

I'll buy it anyway, but these things would appeal alot to me!

In terms of progression and linearity, even if Nintendo aren't willing to go as far as ALBW in terms of dungeons in any order, they can always give us Wind Waker's go to this temple, or this one, a few times throughout the story. It would help keep the story intact and give us a few options.

Open, connected world and lack of hand-holding the biggest issue that needs sorting.

The art style is skyward sword is truly truly stunning. It's like a painting. Different folk... And all that!

I've loved all the art styles, and I'd be happy with any of them. I just feel the cartoony worlds Nintendo do for every other franchise, and although I shouldn't care, having a more adult look will attract an audience I feel Nintendo should try and win back. Nintendo need to show these kinds of games can sell - Zelda, Metroid, bayonetta 2, X2 are all decent ways to prove that.

I really didn't like the art style in Skyward Sword at all. It's like they made a hideous sculpture then slapped pretty colours on it to try and hide how ugly it is. A quick glance and it looks nice, but keep looking and you see the poor quality stuff underneath.

Wind Waker (HD especially) looks stunning as it was clearly designed to look like a cartoon to begin with.

I really didn't like the art style in Skyward Sword at all. It's like they made a hideous sculpture then slapped pretty colours on it to try and hide how ugly it is. A quick glance and it looks nice, but keep looking and you see the poor quality stuff underneath.

Wind Waker (HD especially) looks stunning as it was clearly designed to look like a cartoon to begin with.

Yeah, in stark comparison to WW - SS' visual style just looked to cover up the shortcomings of the Wii... Or maybe if was just shortcomings in the art direction.

Nothing is going to be more important than an online mode and VOICE CHAT!!! Nintendo can rot in hell and i'm not going to buy this game or buy any of their inferior products ever again!! They make me so mad that I just can't be arsed with them anymore.

Shit I posted in the wrong thread :p

Nothing is going to be more important than an online mode and VOICE CHAT!!! Nintendo can rot in hell and i'm not going to buy this game or buy any of their inferior products ever again!! They make me so mad that I just can't be arsed with them anymore.

Shit I posted in the wrong thread :p

STFU and get back to Xenoblade, brah. :awesome:

Would anyone care for a Wind Waker prequel?

A game full of rain and lost hope.

On the subject of weather, a Zelda game where manipulating the climate/weather could be really interesting as well.

Like Oracle of Seasons sort of, but of course in a full fledged console experience kind of way.

On the subject of weather, a Zelda game where manipulating the climate/weather could be really interesting as well.

Like Oracle of Seasons sort of, but of course in a full fledged console experience kind of way.

Sounds in the realm of Zelda - controlling natural phenomena (if thats what its called) - time and wind for example.

I like it. Could use that for some environmental puzzles and its a very relevant topic to dwell on.

I know this is radical, but I think Nintendo should split the Zelda series into two - one using the Wind Waker style (my favourite) and the other using the Twilight Princess HD style, as used in the E3 2011 demo. I'd say they're the two best they've come up with. The Wind Waker series would be the "real" Zelda, still made by EAD3 and Eiji Aonuma.

The Twilight Princess series could be called "Adventures of Link" or something like that, and would be made by an American studio (not wanting to generalise, but much of the aversion to WW comes from western gamers, right?) It could feature lots of combat, horse-riding and wide open spaces.

I say this because the two camps seem so polarised (even though many of us look past the style) and I just think it would be better to establish two teams so that both sets of fans get what they want and know what they're going to be getting out of a Nintendo console. Neutral Zelda fans would also get more Zeldas!

Noted, but would a older Link work in that style? All goofy and dopey...

This is the one thing I wonder about. But I do think it would be possible to do Adult Link in the Wind Waker style. Just make him cartoony, but anatomically-accurate (no pipe cleaner arms!) I always think a good example of an adult character done well in a cartoony style is Dirk the Daring from Dragon's Lair.

This is the one thing I wonder about. But I do think it would be possible to do Adult Link in the Wind Waker style. Just make him cartoony, but anatomically-accurate (no pipe cleaner arms!) I always think a good example of an adult character done well in a cartoony style is Dirk the Daring from Dragon's Lair.

Looking at the adults in the game (short stubby legs, long torso) - I'm not sure I would take to the hero so avidly. Its hard to see Nintendo make him appear different than his kin folk.

Edited by King_V