NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I'm surprised things don't respawn like you would expect, especially some things like peppers for instance. Maybe they do over a long time.

For some reason I expected enemy encampments to respawn but I'm very glad they don't. Makes it a bit less video gamey.

Take a picture of everything with your Sheikah slate. Makes it much easier to track stuff down later on.

Haha! I was thinking the same thing just before I knocked the game off. I was climbing over a mountain, which was gonna be a shortcut, and it started raining. I refused to leave and just sat there until it stopped. Probably would have been quicker going the long way round. :D

I'm typing this while I'm waiting for a full days rain to pass so I can carry on working my way up to a tower. Not a fun game mechanic and not one I think was needed either. The game can be difficult but fair in other ways, the rain stuff is just crappy.

So is this thread full spoilers now? Would have rather they weren't split up but oh well.

I'm typing this while I'm waiting for a full days rain to pass so I can carry on working my way up to a tower. Not a fun game mechanic and not one I think was needed either. The game can be difficult but fair in other ways, the rain stuff is just crappy.

It's such a strange inclusion, especially when the game is built around exploring. I wonder if there is an armour set that nullifies the slipping?

About to head into the next dungeon. Hopefully it will be more lengthy than the first one I tackled....

Guess you're gonna be disappointed then. :D

Well, over a long period of time is fine but I'm just pleased they don't respawn when you turn a corner or rest overnight

I'm absolutely loving this game.

I like the fact you can in essence craft your own adventure. How are people playing it? I'm literally exploring one area at a time, to its fullest I can. I have not even reached Kakiriko Village yet as I am exploring the area its in. I've activated the tower, done a couple of shrines and visited a stable. I've been in the forest and collected lots of fruits and mushrooms, cooked and rode a horse.

I even trampled on some lasses' flowers for bantz! She went nuts! Haha!

I'm going to go and see whats happening at the swamp and I might climb a mountain or two before going to the point i'm supposed to go. I'm discovering so many secrets and things to do, side quests etc.

What a game!

This is what I thought I was playing on the N64. For me this is what I always wanted Zelda to be! :D

For me this is what I always wanted Zelda to be! :D

I must be alone with this opinion but, as good as this game can be, I wish this was a new IP from Nintendo.

I don't really feel it as a Zelda game...:(

I must be alone with this opinion but, as good as this game can be, I wish this was a new IP from Nintendo.

I don't really feel it as a Zelda game...:(

I can see where you are coming from and I can see why people may think it doesn't feel like a Zelda game that we are used to. I don't think you are alone in your thoughts.

I am so glad that this game is different though. I did not enjoy replaying Twilight Princess on the Wii U. The same old formula that has existed aince ALTTP. For me, I am glad they have shook things up a bit. For me it still feels like Zelda, it has the hunour and the mechanics of using your weapons to solve puzzles are still there.

Edited by Blade

Really enjoying this. Been playing the last 8 hours (I don't have Parental Controls active so can't see what was done) so sitting at around 30 hours so far.

Two divine beasts done, still don't feel like I've scratched the surface. So much to do and I want to do it all before facing Calamity Ganon

There's something about the open world in this that's difficult to explain, but it makes it so uniquely awesome...

It's like, when you have to get from A to B in Fallout or Skyrim, you can scramble over the mountain or jump on a building, but that always feels wrong and broken. They haven't accounted for you being there, and they actually want you to walk around until you find a path. But in this game, it's like it was built so that you can approach anything by any means, and it's never wrong. The first clear cut example was

climbing the Temple of Time. It wasn't like some AC game where you take the obvious path up the side of the building. It was like really climbing an old ruin! You had to find your own way up and it wasn't just a conveniently generated section of grabbable areas.

I've only given the game a few hours but it's definitely ringing with me so far - I know what you mean about not quite being able to place it but it does feel solid in its construction. I've not gotten far enough to really comment on whether it feels barren or not though.

For people that are playing the WiiU version, how does it hold up? Are the graphics ok? Is the framerate acceptable or does it drop considerably in certain places?

I am kind of tempted to get the WiiU version, but I don't want to play it if it turns out being a gimped version of the game...

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a mate's Switch on Friday and had a little play around with Zelda on that. Admittedly it was only for a little bit and I didn't do tons as I didn't want to spoil either myself or my mates game(which I realise now isn't much of an issue) but having gotten and played my WiiU copy I've really not noticed too much difference. I can't say I did enough in the Switch version to compare but I did notice some slowdown around a grassy area there, and there's been occasional slowdown in my wii u version so far but it's mostly been minimal for myself. I've only played a few hours so I don't know what the future holds but I really think you and Flink should consider taking the plunge and just getting the WiiU version - I think the differences have been overhyped a bit tbh.

To also answer Flink's question I've been playing with the Gamepad on TV mostly so far - did do a little bit of Gamepad only too and it was ok but if you care about your graphical fidelity I'd say it doesn't really hold up in that sense - even just the hearts are pixelated which kinda bugged me; but I don't need to use Off-TV too much so it won't be a big deal.

Im talking things like chests at the bottom of lakes that you have to magnet out, moving boulders into tree stumps to get the Korkiri.

I'm not saying the start has me like OoT did but so far Iv found plenty to do in the small time Iv played.

It's a secret to everybody ;)

Just finished the side quest where I get the fire sword ontop of the waterfall. I was looking around and found one of those standard Zelda bomb walls at a side of a mountain along the river. I threw a bomb and waited for the current of the river to carry to the wall and then boom! A secret shrine.

:D

Can all shrines be solved with rune abilities alone? Or do you need particular items for some. Struggling with one called Three Boxes but not sure if I actually have the means to solve it. I found the shrine in

behind the waterfall in the canyon with some kind of ancient structure

The game is huge, so much to explore. It's a lot of fun so far. I'm fine with breakable weapons. I always find new ones to use. Only problem I have is that I'm terrible at the combat. Evading attacks with jumping just ends up with me flying through the air :p

Edited by Tales

So I'm not the biggest Zelda fan normally as I can't complete these games for love nor money. I get stuck not knowing what to do and then I give up and sack it off.

When I heard this was open world I was a bit deflated as I thought I'd never know where to go or what to do.

Whilst there have been some bits I've scratched my head over, I haven't reached for a guide once yet and I've got to be over 10 hours in.

I love it. It doesn't feel like Zelda outside of the shrines at the moment, and maybe that's a good thing for me? Although I can see why others miss that Zelda feel but I never got so into the series that I find myself missing the previous formula.

The way I have been playing is just exactly how I feel like playing at the time. I truly feel like this is my adventure. It's not the adventure that's been chosen for me to play through like everyone else. And I like that.

A lot of the fun for me is just wandering around for the shrines, the little temple quest things and exploring everything around that along the way. In parts the game just looks beautiful.

I don't feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Even though I don't know what I'm doing. :heh:

Going to keep exploring the areas and filling out the map before I attempt any of the beast things, but at the moment half of the fun is finding exciting new weapons and ingredients to go cooking with! :D

I'm made up with how it's going so far and hope I continue to enjoy it as much as I am now.

Can all shrines be solved with rune abilities alone? Or do you need particular items for some. Struggling with one called Three Boxes but not sure if I actually have the means to solve it. I found the shrine in
behind the waterfall in the canyon with some kind of ancient structure

The game is huge, so much to explore. It's a lot of fun so far. I'm fine with breakable weapons. I always find new ones to use. Only problem I have is that I'm terrible at the combat. Evading attacks with jumping just ends up with me flying through the air :p

Found a way to solve the shrine. Not sure if it was the correct way to do it, but whatever works :p

I used magnesium on the three chests and stacked them on top off each other on the moving platform, then climbed on top of chests and from there on to the next level. As I said not sure if it was the right way, as I have no idea what that big button is for or the closed off room :p

With the metacritic score in mind [98/100], is this the best Zelda game ever?

With the metacritic score in mind [98/100], is this the best Zelda game ever?

It's the most impressive, the most intense and the most awe-inspiring. For me, it's not the best, as I've had more fun in much less time with previous games. However, I don't think any Zelda game can be properly judged until you've completed it and seen how far away from perfection it is. So far I'm thinking the breakable weapons are enough take away a whole point and make it no more than a 9/10.

I enjoyed A Link Between Worlds more than this one. Not sure about 3D ones but Wind Waker HD probably still beats it for me with its charm.

All 4 major dungeons complete and Master Sword obtained.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

I'm tempted to go give Ganon a beating right now but methinks I'll go upgrade my armour a bit, cook some food for the battle and do a few more shrines for extra hearts.

All 4 major dungeons complete and Master Sword obtained.

So what are your final thoughts about those "dungeons"? I have one more left and don't expect much...

And what do you think about the Master Sword's limitation?

So what are your final thoughts about those "dungeons"? I have one more left and don't expect much...

And what do you think about the Master Sword's limitation?

The dungeons are a massive disappointment. They are tiny and all look the same. No real variation between the 4 of them in terms of visuals. Speaking of visuals, the bosses are a letdown as well. They all look very similar to each other and are all pushovers.

I enjoy using the Master Sword. It's nice using a weapon that doesn't break. I don't mind the limitation it has.

The dungeons are a massive disappointment. They are tiny and all look the same. No real variation between the 4 of them in terms of visuals. Speaking of visuals, the bosses are a letdown as well. They all look very similar to each other and are all pushovers.

Yup, nothing to add. It's really not what I expected and I am very disappointed. I expected more from Nintendo...

I don't mind the limitation it has.

Really? I think it's dumb...having to wait 10 minutes after it "breaks" is annoying as hell. But at least it's not gone forever. ::shrug:

Which dungeon did you guys end up doing first? (assuming you can do them in any order)

Which dungeon did you guys end up doing first? (assuming you can do them in any order)

The one in Lanayru.