NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Crazy talk!! Thought you'd be excited by new hardware and even playing Zelda on it, irrespective there not much available.

Anyways. Zelda. I really can't wait for this, not a huge open world game fan, but hopefully this is as incredible as everyone is saying. Slightly worried that my switch will be here Thursday and Zelda won't, then the agony of Friday morning waiting.

Nah. The hardware is neither here nor there for me, it's all about the software and I find it very lacking. Considering how fast I finish and 100% games, it's probably best to wait until the library of titles is far more substantial, otherwise it will just be sat doing nothing.

Don't most open world games suffer from noticeable to severe frame rate issues? IIRC Grand Theft Auto and Witcher 3 had very noticeable moments.

Life ain't fair.

Fans, myself included, have often spoke about that certain Nintendo quality and polish in their games. They have a high standard, so things like this are far more noticeable when they pops up in their own games. It doesn't make them bad games by any stretch but it shows a certain lack of polish from them.

Tbh I think the arguments can be made infinitely either way. For example you could argue that Nintendo have more game-making experience than RockStar not to mention it being their hardware so it shouldn't be excusable etcetc.

Personally I imagine as I said I won't even notice it anyway - plus those Alanah Pearce(no idea who that is) comments seem to suggest it's minimal too.

Seems like Amazon may not have enough WiiU physical copies. And it seems like I won't be receiving mine on Friday...

I'm angry.

Errr...wat?? When did you pre-order your copy, presuming you did?? I did mine the day after the Switch conference because I was worried about exactly this sort of thing! Hope it doesn't affect me, starting to get used to the idea of playing it this soon...!

Edited by Rummy

Also getting a WiiU version of Breath of the Wild, reasons as to why are in the Other Switch thread. So i can also give a honest opinion on how the WiiU version holds up on the system.

Errr...wat?? When did you pre-order your copy, presuming you did?? I did mine the day after the Switch conference because I was worried about exactly this sort of thing! Hope it doesn't affect me, starting to get used to the idea of playing it this soon...!

Amazon US seemingly didn't get enough copies. It doesn't seem to have impacted other areas, though.

Tbh I think the arguments can be made infinitely either way. For example you could argue that Nintendo have more game-making experience than RockStar not to mention it being their hardware so it shouldn't be excusable etcetc.

Personally I imagine as I said I won't even notice it anyway - plus those Alanah Pearce(no idea who that is) comments seem to suggest it's minimal too.

Amazon US seemingly didn't get enough copies. It doesn't seem to have impacted other areas, though.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

My dreams come true!! I always wanted Nintendo to advertise on the Underground... Kind of moving to see this on my way home from work at Southwark station:

2E951E65-44E6-42DD-90D3-F0A3388239E9_zps7mhzxzwj.jpg

My dreams come true!! I always wanted Nintendo to advertise on the Underground... Kind of moving to see this on my way home from work at Southwark station

Have they really not advertised on the underground before? Shocking if true...

Have they really not advertised on the underground before? Shocking if true...

Probably something like Mario Galaxy or other Wii-era stuff but I have personally never seen a Nintendo ad underground being born and raised here.

There were a fair few Mario Maker 3DS ads just a couple of months ago.

I took this last week...

46yuS1.jpg

Right in front of the entrance to the platform too.

Probably something like Mario Galaxy or other Wii-era stuff but I have personally never seen a Nintendo ad underground being born and raised here.

Mario Maker 3DS was the first I ever saw, so it's not just you.

I like how much more aggressive Ninty are advertising this time.

Sure, it means I'm sick to death of Switch adverts. (That woman looking over his shoulder on the bus is clearly a tourist. No Londoner would do that!) But that's a sign of a prominent advert.

EDIT: Am I the only one who's calling shenanigans on the whole "First open-world Zelda" thing.

Sure, as far as 3D games go, it is. But isn't Zelda 1 open-world? You can go anywhere in the overworld immediately upon starting a new game with no transitions, other than the screen scrolling.

Edited by Glen-i

EDIT: Am I the only one who's calling shenanigans on the whole "First open-world Zelda" thing.

Sure, as far as 3D games go, it is. But isn't Zelda 1 open-world? You can go anywhere in the overworld immediately upon starting a new game with no transitions, other than the screen scrolling.

Many have drawn the parallels of it going back to its roots like that - even in this thread too! I don't think many are thinking of it as the 'first' but that it's more open than any Zelda has been in a long while, maybe?

I think it's going to be interesting and certainly something Aonuma has been working towards for a while - ALBW felt like a bit of an experiment with the idea to me, though not without some shortcomings.

For a lot of people, the term "open world" has come to mean the Ubisoft style of "open world".

^ I would really see it as the Bethesda style, not the Ubisoft style. And I would agree with those "many people" anyway.

Why do so many people insist in being a pain in the butt with technicalities?? In modern gaming, you know what open world means. You just do. It means a large, sprawling overworld which does not just have a fixed set of exit points that lead to a short list of destinations that you have to visit, roughly in order (like OoT), but rather lots of events, sub-objectives, places you didn't know were there before you explored. You can look to the distance and then visit that place, it's not just walled off by a tree-wall or whatever.

Whilst Zelda 1 may have fit this archetype, it was built long ago under technical limitations that made said map ultimately very small and obviously two dimensional. It was a relatively "free roaming" approach to gameplay but it didn't meet the modern representation of a "world", never mind an open one.

If anything, I would say the closest we came to an open world Zelda was Wind Waker.

Shopto have dispatched my copy of Breath of the Wild.

If it arrives early, what are the chances the patch is available to download tomorrow.

My Amazon Orders just updated to:

Arriving Friday

Not yet shipped

:hehe:

Same here. Friday morning can't come soon enough!

40/40 in Famitsu.

Great stuff.

Slightly off topic, but I'm surprised to see that New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the *only* Mario game to ever receive 40/40.

Great stuff.

Slightly off topic, but I'm surprised to see that New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the *only* Mario game to ever receive 40/40.

Yes. I'd have guessed Galaxy 1 & 2 got that, possibly 64, and probably Mario World if Famitsu goes back that far.

Just got a text, dispatched from Simply Games! :D

Great stuff.

Coincidentally, it's also the reason I no longer put any stock in a Famitsu 40/40.

Edited by Shorty

What reviews are recently most in-depth? Back in the day Edge was great, as was Famitsu when online became bigger than magazines. I noticed I've been ignoring reviews for a long time now, don't feel like they add anything for me anymore ::shrug:

Edited by markderoos
I suck at english :(

What reviews are recently most indept? Back in the day Edge was great, as was Famitsu when online became bigger than magazines. I noticed I've been ignoring reviews for a long time now, don't feel like they add anything for me anymore ::shrug:

Personally I dont see many reviews as inept, I just think that games journalism has become more and more personality based over the years so as you tend to know more about the reviewers themselves, you probably understand their preferences and reasons for saying what they do. Its why I tend to mainly stick with Giant Bomb for their content, I follow them every week and know who's taste in games is similar to my own etc.

I think "indept" was meant to be "in-depth" as opposed to "inept" :p