NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I can't argue with that, but in my opinion it was very, very clear Skyward Sword wouldn't be what the reviews said it was, even from previews years before. It had its moments, but as an overall game it was clear the scope wasn't there.

I'd also argue that Metro and Eurogamer are of a certain ilk (not meaning any offence here), as well as one other Nintendo site I can think of. If GameSpot and similar multi-format sites are saying it's good, I believe it that much more. Plus, BotW has always looked like it could be the best, as long as the harder-to-predict elements (such as story and atmosphere) are done right.

I don't really understand what you mean when you say it was "very, very clear". If all of the previews and reviews are indicating one thing, why would you not go along with that line of thought?

You can search for other reviews from other multi-format places (like Edge) if you want, you'll just find more of the same information that was provided earlier.

Edge scores it 10/10

They also gave Skyward Sword a 10. So.....:D

Yup, Hero clears this one up. :heh: (I was seconds away from posting that, haha)

That's fair enough, but it's still not how I remember it. It may have reviewed well, but it didn't have this hype I mean; the hands on is very different. People don't like Skyward Sword because of the motion controls in the main, a lot of the reviews say it's revolutionary because of the motion controls. A lot of people don't like them.

Personally I loved Skyward Sword, it's incredible. If Fi shut the fuck up I'd barely have anything negative to say about it.

This though feels different. The hype, what people are saying about it, it feels very very different.

Well, you remember wrong! :D

We had the Zelda concerts in the UK to coincide with the 25th Anniversary of the series, so there was a huge Zelda fanfare at the time. The hype was off the scale.

They also gave Skyward Sword a 10. So.....:D

And Ocarina of Time.

What's the point you're trying to make? Edge likes some Zelda games more than others?

Skyward Sword really is an 8.5

Really, the repetition in SS is just lazy. Not only re-hashing the same old forest, fire and water schematics but the Ghirahim and Imprisoned battles and Silent Realms...:shakehead... I know I've said this all before, but I can really tear it a new one everytime I think about it lol.

It's a good thing EDGE gave this game a 10, and with Horizon and Nioh getting 9s it's a pretty great month for games!

It's a good thing EDGE gave this game a 10, and with Horizon and Nioh getting 9s it's a pretty great month for games.

Sly dig detected haha. ;)

I would actually go as far to say that I value and trust the opinions and reactions from people on this forum more so than IGN or Eurogamer, etc. If someone like Hero-of-Time or Blade say that's something worth playing, then there's no reason to doubt them as they have no other agendas.

I guess one advantage of not being around on the 3rd is that a pre-order isn't worth it... so I get the benefit of hearing how everyone feels the game is.

I do think that finally I'll be getting the Wii U version in the end, I've decided not to buy a switch until I finish the remaining 11 courses in wii fit U and have put in a decent amount of time into all my "I booted it up..." games.

And Ocarina of Time.

What's the point you're trying to make? Edge likes some Zelda games more than others?

That review scores shouldn't be taken as the be all and end all. At the end of the day it's just a single persons opinion, whose tastes or what they look for in a game could be wildly different to what you personally want out it.

It's a good thing EDGE gave this game a 10, and with Horizon and Nioh getting 9s it's a pretty great month for games!

If it's even half as good as Nioh then we are in for a treat.

I really liked Skyward Sword, I felt it did something new after TP, which despite being a fantastic game, didn't do too much different from OOT or expand on the traditional Zelda formula.

That's not to say SS is without its faults. Many of them have been mentioned, but I really enjoyed the motion controls and how they really added to the experience, felt they were done really well. The story was one of the best, most in-depth stories in a 3D Zelda game as well, plus the game gave us the first orchestral soundtrack, which was incredible. I can see why others didn't really enjoy it though, it wasn't without niggles.

Before the game was released I wasn't too hyped for it, I was a bit burned out on gaming and it even failed to bring me back really. I did play through it all eventually and thoroughly enjoyed it, for me it still ranks as one of the best 3D Zeldas.

From a personal standpoint, BOTW is the most hyped I've been for a game since Wind Waker probably. I'm going on a blackout this week, the previews, particularly from places like Gametrailers, have got me confident this is going to live up to the hype.

Snippet of a 'The Verge' article about how the Pro Controller is the better control method for BOTW.

I imagine most would come to the same conclusion without even having to play the game, but I can relate to what he's saying about how cumbersome the joy con grip can be having attempted Splatoon 2 with it at the event.

Like its Wii and Wii U predecessors, the Switch’s Pro Controller is Nintendo’s attempt to add a more traditional control option to its lineup of motion wands and tablet controllers. The result is a sort of mash-up between Sony’s Dual Shock 4 and an Xbox One controller. (The Pro even features subtly textured grips just like the latest version of the Xbox’s gamepad.) But what’s most important is how it’s different from the out-of-the-box Joy-Con grip setup. The most noticeable thing is that the Pro is wider, so your hands sit more comfortably apart. This extra room also means that the buttons and sticks are comparably spread out, placed in more natural positions. Overall it just feels better, with a more solid design and better realized layout. For Breath of the Wild, these changes are especially important. The game features a surprisingly complex control scheme. While exploring, you need to constantly swap between avoiding attacks, shooting arrows, swinging a sword, and more. With the Joy-Con grip this can be a bit cumbersome; the tiny face buttons mean that occasionally I will jump when I mean to attack, or throw my sword when I’m really trying to pull out a bow and arrow. These misfires are relatively rare, but nonetheless frustrating. It’s no fun dying in battle because you accidentally hit the wrong button.

My problem with Skyward Sword is that it was yet another example of recent Zelda games completely ditching their core mechanic of overworld exploration. Think about it...

Phantom Hourglass: a big sea with islands dotted and loading screens between them. Nothing seamless.

Spirit Tracks: Same thing, a disconnected land separated by on rails train tracks.

Skyward Sword: Disconnected overworld. The sky may as well have been a level select.

A Link Between Worlds: Lorule was new enough but still, the whole game, excellent though it was, used a rehashed world from ALTTP.

See what I mean? We haven't had a proper, brand new, seamless overworld to explore since, what, Twilight Princess? That's what's so exciting about BOTW.

My problem with Skyward Sword is that it was yet another example of recent Zelda games completely ditching their core mechanic of overworld exploration. Think about it...

Phantom Hourglass: a big sea with islands dotted and loading screens between them. Nothing seamless.

Spirit Tracks: Same thing, a disconnected land separated by on rails train tracks.

Skyward Sword: Disconnected overworld. The sky may as well have been a level select.

A Link Between Worlds: Lorule was new enough but still, the whole game, excellent though it was, used a rehashed world from ALTTP.

See what I mean? We haven't had a proper, brand new, seamless overworld to explore since, what, Twilight Princess? That's what's so exciting about BOTW.

Mark Brown has been dropping hints that his video about SS is going to be quite critical so you might enjoy it :heh:

I don't really understand what you mean when you say it was "very, very clear". If all of the previews and reviews are indicating one thing, why would you not go along with that line of thought?

You can search for other reviews from other multi-format places (like Edge) if you want, you'll just find more of the same information that was provided earlier.

No, I mean it was clear to me it wouldn't be a great one. I'm talking about seeing screenshots and watching videos. It's not about believing hands-on previews by games journalists.

As for the emboldened bit, I don't really know why you would trust gaming journalists over your own instincts.

No, I mean it was clear to me it wouldn't be a great one. I'm talking about seeing screenshots and watching videos. It's not about believing hands-on previews by games journalists.

As for the emboldened bit, I don't really know why you would trust gaming journalists over your own instincts.

I still don't agree. The screenshots, videos, previews and reviews all indicated one thing. It received immense feedback at the time. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

(Although it looks like we both agree that Skyward Sword really isn't a good/great game)

I'd argue even TP was not seamless, what with silly things like being fired in a canon as the only natural means to reach the desert and City in the Sky and using a twilight enemy to get to Zora's Domain :shakehead

The thing I liked about BOTW ever since E3 is its honesty in how open and seamless the world is. Nintendo have been guilty of tricking us with off-key quotes and trailers when its comes to the scale of games as of late. Theres been this limited 'give and take' - like with Wind Waker, seamless, open world but with just one real town setting and islands that mostly didn't reward you for the effort of travelling there.

Edited by King_V

I'd argue even TP was not seamless, what with silly things like being fired in a canon as the only natural means to reach the desert and City in the Sky and using a twilight enemy to get to Zora's Domain :shakehead

That's very true I forgot about the cannon.

The situations between SS and BOTW are only similar if you look at review scores, and don't actually read the reviews and impressions.

Skyward Sword was an overhyped game, but that was easy to see at the time: literally every review talked about how well the motion controls were implemented, the colourful art style, and maybe some would mention the story. Very few would actually mention puzzles, exploration or level design. I like the game (I'd give it 3-out-of-5 stars), but I did feel like a lot of reviewers gave the score first, and wrote the review afterwards.

Meanwhile, we've already seen what BOTW is. The freedom of exploration provided by the game is what everybody's talking about. You know what you're getting, where the strength of the game lies.

I hope we get to fight The Imprisoned 3 more times.

Another beautiful gif

giphy.gif

What's Link holding? Also... spoiler?

What's Link holding? Also... spoiler?

Just a shield I think. Didn't really consider it a spoiler tbh?

Was this game too ambitious for the wii u. Framerate drops

? is there a source? I'm not seeing one from here :/

Also Ronnie, I disagree with your guess, I've not looked too closely but it looks like something other than just a shield. but it is spoiler tagged, anyone not wanting anything spoiled should just not look (although I gather this tapatalk app thingy is de-spoiler proofed?)

Not sure if this has already been discussed... but why does the switch version require 13.4Gb storage, while the Wii U version is only 1Gb? Wii U is only 720p, while switch needs higher res textures for 900P as well as higher quality sound? :s I don't see how it all adds up to an extra 12.3 Gb for the switch version??

Edited by Pestneb
Automerged Doublepost

? is there a source? I'm not seeing one from here :/

Also Ronnie, I disagree with your guess, I've not looked too closely but it looks like something other than just a shield. but it is spoiler tagged, anyone not wanting anything spoiled should just not look (although I gather this tapatalk app thingy is de-spoiler proofed?)

Not sure if this has already been discussed... but why does the switch version require 13.4Gb storage, while the Wii U version is only 1Gb? Wii U is only 720p, while switch needs higher res textures for 900P as well as higher quality sound? :s I don't see how it all adds up to an extra 12.3 Gb for the switch version??

The edge review mentions the wii u version suffers more frequent frame rate drops.

You got a link please?

Some things from the review.

Frame rate is a little uneven on the Wii U version, dropping to teens in very busy sequences like heavy weather effects, rarely when it matters