N-Europe

Nintendo Direct 23rd Jan - Wii U only - Worldwide

Serebii

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no way that the Wii U VC games would be made free to those who purchased the Wii VC versions of them because of the way the VC works. Unlike other services like the PSN PS1 classics, which use system wide emulation that emulates the whole system (and the publisher just dumps the ISO into the emulator), the VC has emulators written for each individual game. While Sony just have the one emulator that they write for each new console (that replaces the old one and runs the same standard ISO), the emulation quality is imperfect. Nintendo's approach however guarantees perfect emulation but requires much more work to be done on each game, as they have to re-write each game's emulator from scratch for each new console they release.

There is a lot of dev and QA work that goes into each VC release that must be paid for. The fee that they charge covers the (not unsubstantial) R&D cost of developing the Wii U emulator for each game.

BTW, I called this happening at least a year ago. You can all go ahead and call me a soothsayer now ;)

Has it occured to people yet that we can now apparently receive MEGATONS at random from NINTENDO?

Are we now living in some sort of new paradigm where continouos hype is in order

I'm scared.

Well it's not like ND hasn't delivered megatons before (Hi SM3DL, Monster Hunter 3U and 4, NSMB2 and Fire Emblem Awakening!) but yeah, this one was something special (if VERY slapdash!)

Edited by Dcubed

I'm with RedShell, I don't want to transfer my wii VC games. Can't it just know? Nobs!

Can you select what you transfer for the wii to wii u or is it everything or nothing? I heard rock band and guitar hero dot transfer the ability to take songs from on game into th either etc (which is very important) so no way will I transfer if its everything. If you can select what you move (like you can on the 3ds)I might move a few things over. Even though I detest the wii mode on the wii u

I'm with RedShell, I don't want to transfer my wii VC games. Can't it just know? Nobs!

Can you select what you transfer for the wii to wii u or is it everything or nothing? I heard rock band and guitar hero dot transfer the ability to take songs from on game into th either etc (which is very important) so no way will I transfer if its everything. If you can select what you move (like you can on the 3ds)I might move a few things over. Even though I detest the wii mode on the wii u

It's all or nothing and it's non-reversible. I'm also not transferring my VC games either. Not really bothered, I've played them, completed them so I'm not compelled to play them again any time soon. It shouldn't be such hassle though.

So this kills 2 birds with one stone. Doesn't mean I like it as a sconsumer though. Even with new fancy graphics, I've still played the fundamental gameplay before and I wasn't that much of a fan - I wasn't a fan of the original graphics either and now Link and Tetra were looking so plasticcy, it was like an early 360 game.
Actually you're right, it is a bit Blue 'Dragony'... didn't like that look at all.

927950_20070829_screen019.jpg

those happen to be the very two games that have the coins feature. I agree with you though, I'm not a fan of the coins in MK7.

It made sense in those 2, since the tracks didn't have that many alternate routes... there was no exploratory aspect to it. But it doesn't make any sense in MK7.

----

As for the whole Nintendo Direct hype that's going on, can anyone fill me in on what happened? Was anything new anounced (as in completely new and "Nintendo feel") or what?

As for the whole Nintendo Direct hype that's going on, can anyone fill me in on what happened? Was anything new anounced (as in completely new and "Nintendo feel") or what?

-Wind Waker remake announced for Wii U (there are pictures)

-Yoshi game in the style of Kirby's Epic Yarn (small clip and pictures available)

-Xenoblade sequel (trailer available)

-Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem crossover (will involve the series protagonists, at least. All of them)

-3D Mario, Mario Kart U and Smash Bros will be present at E3

-Wii U VC will have NES, SNES and GBA games. There will be special deals for one game each month (one of them is Super Metroid).

-Eiji Aonuma implied they're trying to reduce linearity and include multiplayer somehow for the next Zelda

-Pikmin 3 will allow you to take pictures from the Pikmins' perspective (pics shown)

-Wonderful 101 trailer

-Bayonetta 2 trailer

I think that's it.

Really not digging this "you have to transfer your Wii data to Wii U" thing in order for the VC discount to apply. icon13.gif

The VC games that I downloaded on Wii are listed on my Club Nintendo account, that same account is also linked to my NNID. They know which VC titles I downloaded on Wii, so why the hell should I have to transfer them to Wii U to get the discount? ::shrug:

Oh well, don't reckon I'll be getting many VC games on Wii U anyway. I downloaded Balloon Fight earlier (the fact that they're sticking with 50hz is not cool :angry:) and will probably get Super Mario Kart when that appears, but that'll be all.

Def agree myself, not keen to transfer my wii to my wii u. I've heard of people with homebrew doing a NAND backup then doing it and restoring though, which could be possible. I'd rather not do that either, though.

-Eiji Aonuma implied they're trying to reduce linearity and include multiplayer somehow for the next Zelda

-Pikmin 3 will allow you to take pictures from the Pikmins' perspective (pics shown)

-Wonderful 101 trailer

-Bayonetta 2 trailer

I think that's it.

Reduce linearity yes(sort of said the idea of doing dungeons in a certain order), but as someone mentioned in the thread - he talked about playing alone. Does that necessarily mean multiplayer, or possibly questing with a second or more playable characters?

Reduce linearity yes(sort of said the idea of doing dungeons in a certain order), but as someone mentioned in the thread - he talked about playing alone. Does that necessarily mean multiplayer, or possibly questing with a second or more playable characters?

Yes, the dungeon order and "playing alone" were his exact wordings, but still, he was clearly implying something.

I think he might possibly mean like how in Super Mario Galaxy, someone could help you collect the Star Bits. In Zelda, the main player could use the GamePad and someone else could use a Wii remote for pointing at something or other.

Either that or Player 2 draws on the GamePad whilst the main player uses (shudder) the Wii remote and nunchuk. :shakehead:angry:

I think he might possibly mean like how in Super Mario Galaxy, someone could help you collect the Star Bits. In Zelda, the main player could use the GamePad and someone else could use a Wii remote for pointing at something or other.

Either that or Player 2 draws on the GamePad whilst the main player uses (shudder) the Wii remote and nunchuk. :shakehead:angry:

I think it would have player 1 use the Wii remote and nunchuk as normal and give player 2 the gamepad to act as a fairy.

That way, they can fly round the room and inspect stuff on their own screen without disrupting the player - like how the Tingle Tuner had the map on display. They could also be any other kind of helper character like in WW, PH and ST. Plus, giving the novice player the "special" gamepad will indeed make them feel special and hopefully add to the togetherness as you share the adventure. Certainly moreso than some pointing mechanic would anyway as the fairies just can't do that much. Mario gets away with it as it never needs to justify anything it does but it would be out of place in Zelda.

Unless you intend to keep them on the same screen, which would be a pain, you have to make use of that extra screen and it would be silly to give the main screen to the secondary player and force player one to keep swapping. Have player 1 on the main screen and then a secondary player can join in ad-hoc on the gamepad whenever they want.

Unless Nintendo have done a massive u-turn then player 1 will be using remote and nunchuk. I think player 1 will need the gamepad also so player 2 will have to use remote and nunchuk or pro controller. Or maybe a second gamepad will be able to link up by the time the game is released. It could be the game to promote second gamepad sales. Who knows?

Do you not feel you're complaining just for the sake of complaining, @dazzybee, @RedShell? Is it likely you'll ever play your Wiis and WiiUs at the same time?

I'd rather Nintendo knuckle down and sort out a cross-platform ecosystem, one purchase across all system

That's not the point. My point isi have to move all my VC games over to the wii u to take advantage oif the upgrades. Bt I don't want to do that.

Also, rock band and guitar hero don't work in the change over so that'd be screwed and all the songs I've bought etc.

Is it likely you'll ever play your Wiis and WiiUs at the same time?
Obviously not, but I've got my Wii setup in another room and it is still being used. It's mainly an iPlayer/bathroom scales these days, :heh: but I still play SMK on it from time to time too.

I just don't want to transfer over the data to Wii U and be left with an empty Wii.

Especially when there's no good reason for it. Like I said before, Nintendo know what VC purchases I made on Wii, they shouldn't require the transfer to enable the discount on Wii U. :nono:

Obviously not, but I've got my Wii setup in another room and it is still being used. It's mainly an iPlayer/bathroom scales these days, :heh: but I still play SMK on it from time to time too.

I just don't want to transfer over the data to Wii U and be left with an empty Wii.

Especially when there's no good reason for it. Like I said before, Nintendo know what VC purchases I made on Wii, they shouldn't require the transfer to enable the discount on Wii U. :nono:

If a standard account system was put into place this wouldn't be an issue.

It's like the 3DS. I'm lucky enough to have both the original and the XL. Whilst I will always play the XL at home, the original is far more portable and feels more special to carry around with me, but because I've transferred my content over, there's not much I can do with it now (apart from use its mains adaptor! :heh:) I don't understand why I'm not allowed to access my content on both. You may say I shouldn't have done a system transfer, but I do use my XL the vast majority of the time. It'd just be nice to keep using my original with it as well.