NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

You and everyone nearly everyone else here:

> Complains about an Xbox One feature

> Complains when Xbox One feature changes.

It just goes to show how flawed their ideas were. I didn't agree with a lot of the Xbox One's features when they were announced. However, if Microsoft stuck to their vision and believed the shit they were spewing then they deserve some respect. Back-pedalling the way they are now is more than embarrassing and I'd imagine rather costly.

Release a bundle without the Kinect and I'd be very tempted to get one. As it stands I can't justify paying for a new console to only play Call of Duty. As Ghosts is coming out on the 360 MS have pretty much a year after launch to release a bundle like this. Quite hopefuly.

My biggest problem with Xbox is still the "value" proposition of Xbox Live Gold. I actually think Kinect is pretty brilliant (now that it's much more accurate and comes packaged with the console), Microsoft really need to stick by their guns. I almost think releasing Kinect for the 360 has massively tainted it as a device for the Xbox One.

I might pick one up on launch, but we'll see. I really resent paying for Xbox Live.

Wouldn't your PS4 cover the paywalled aspects of the One and thus no need for Live (other than online games, Netflix and DVR I can't recall what is locked behind Live, so forgive me if I'm missing something)

This news confirms a price cut. They have gone for the PS4 strategy (being that they seem to lack any of their own). I would expect something like a £199-249 new price at Gamescom.

Back-pedalling the way they are now is more than embarrassing and I'd imagine rather costly.

Its not actually. Only 4 kinetic games announced so far. Yes the constant back pedalling is funny and shows how bad they got their system. The reputation of the xbox is pretty poor.

The bigger problem MS has is that they lack vision and direction on all of their products right now. Xbone is just another victim of this problem.

They've said they are still including the Kinect/NSA Spyware device with each console. It wouldn't surprise me if they released one without Kinect bundled in, as they've now included the headset which people wanted. But MS have invested heavily in Kinect, so i don't expect a Kinect-free bundle anytime soon. Plus without one, may annoy the publishers.

You and everyone nearly everyone else here:

> Complains about an Xbox One feature

> Complains when Xbox One feature changes.

Well of course. The features were terrible and unwanted, and recalling them is embarrassing for them and makes them seem like they never really had a clue.

Obviously the correct thing would have been to never have introduced those features in the first place. Then nobody would have complained!

Well of course. The features were terrible and unwanted, and recalling them is embarrassing for them and makes them seem like they never really had a clue.

Obviously the correct thing would have been to never have introduced those features in the first place. Then nobody would have complained!

But you can be annoyed that the decisions were made or that they were reverted. Time travel not being an option here, you shouldn't be complaining about something and then later saying they should've stuck to their guns and kept the aspect you didn't like!

Dismissed? Alright that's good.

I'm not getting it on launch day (only if it turns out that it's backwards compatible) as I have a shitload of 360-games, I need to play before.

It's already been dismissed.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, how many people on here are actually getting the One come launch day? Anyone?

I want to get one...but I've having real trouble convincing myself. I'll almost certainly not pre-order it, though.

But you can be annoyed that the decisions were made or that they were reverted. Time travel not being an option here, you shouldn't be complaining about something and then later saying they should've stuck to their guns and kept the aspect you didn't like!

No one is saying that. People were complaining about the features, but also about the company itself for being out of touch to the extent they were pretty much forced to U-turn, even if it ultimately will result in a better console. They are not mutually exclusive complaints.

Like I said, the only way to avoid either series of complaints is to never have brought in features people never wanted in the first place. The criticism is entirely self-perpetuated.

Personally I don't think their decisions were out of touch in the first place. I still feel like they were trying to take gaming somewhere new, instead of sticking with the same thing we had last year but more powerful hardware. There were some big gleaming errors in their delivery and in the DRM (24 hour connection stands out), but not with their overall ideas.

First, they talked about TV forever, then all their DRM details came out with zero focus on the positives.

They should've never mentioned TV, and instead set people up to accept the DRM by selling the features that required it first.

Lets look at an example similar to Xbox's desire to have your games library everywhere: Spotify.

Lets say I put Spotify on my PC, and I get a Spotify Premium service, that gives me mobile access. Now I can listen to my music and my playlists on the go. Amazing! All the songs I want, playlists, radio stations, albums, all in my pocket all the time. I can play this music to anyone. I can even sync the songs on my phone so that they're available to play when I don't have an internet connection.

Now hold up. If I can play songs without an internet connection, how does my phone know that I still have an active premium connection? Well it can only stay offline for a certain number of days, then it needs to go online to check my subscription still exists.

Xbox had something similar, but they didn't announce it properly, and the DRM was too restrictive. They could've ignored TV and made sure that the first thing people heard was along the lines of: "Xbox One! With cloud gaming features, play your games anywhere! Take your whole library to a friend's house, take advantage of great summer offers, allow your family to try out your games from anywhere in the world, have your games instantly updated and added to using cloud features, while you're playing!" The DRM stuff should just have been discovered in the vein of "the restrictions that made these great new things possible".

Instead, the first anyone heard about Xbox One were "TV, TV, TV, SPORTS!" jokes and then "oh shit, have you heard, the Xbox one doesn't let you sell your games!"

@Shorty if those features were as good as they said, and actually a selling point, Microsoft are utterly moronic for not keeping them for digital game. There was absolutely nothing stopping them from doing that.

It seems there may some truth to this rumour after all. Apparently CVG dismissed the rumour for the UK but some other European countries may be set to miss out on the One this year.

Be a bit nuts if any of this turns out to be true.

Well, Sony have dominance over Xbox over most European countries - so it sounds like Microsoft may be focusing on keeping the UK with Xbox.

Which may hopefully lead to some good competition over here.

Personally I don't think their decisions were out of touch in the first place.

Really? After the massive backlash, and even after Microsoft themselves going back on them?

Surely the correct decisions are the ones most people want. Even if you liked what they proposed, if having those decisions made real meant loads of potential customers weren't happy with the console, then they weren't the right decisions.

What he means was that they had some very nice ideas for treating digital games.

They just made the dumb decision of messing with retail games.

The perfect solution would be:

- The planned system for digital games, with a more lenient online check.

- Selling digital codes to retailers (like Nintendo do).

- Retail games work normally and without these features.

(Although I do think that the features were also removed from digital games because Microsoft's vagueness meant that everyone thought they meant "10 people have full access to all your games" when it was more of a time limited demo - the revelation would be more bad press whereas removing it at the same time as the other stuff would go fairly unnoticed and people would be happy)

Edited by Cube
Automerged Doublepost

Well when I was saying they were out of touch I was referring to most of the retail stuff, which they should have realised wasn't going to go down well. Hence calling them out of touch.

Lets say I put Spotify on my PC, and I get a Spotify Premium service, that gives me mobile access. Now I can listen to my music and my playlists on the go. Amazing! All the songs I want, playlists, radio stations, albums, all in my pocket all the time. I can play this music to anyone. I can even sync the songs on my phone so that they're available to play when I don't have an internet connection.

The check-in period for Spotify is 30 days. I think Microsoft would have faired much better had the restriction not been so tight. Even once a week would have been better than every day.

No one is saying that.

I think I did.

Just because I didn't agree with their vision shouldn't deter them.

At least they're giving away a free game for those who have preordered Day One Edition. -_-