NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

15 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Yeah I got those ones. Have no clue where I could have missed. 

Also just had the joy of getting that one in the volcanic crater that requires you to use the yellow eco from the spider cave. That didn't brighten my mood. :p

Might call it a night and attempt more tomorrow. Cheers for your help tonight :)

Haha. Yeah, you really have to peg it to get that one. That power cell will always stick with me because it took me ages, back in the PS2 days, to figure out how to get it!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Haha. Yeah, you really have to peg it to get that one. That power cell will always stick with me because it took me ages, back in the PS2 days, to figure out how to get it!

It's definitely one that will stick in the mind. 

I just got the last four. Can't believe it. The spiders nest section? Last time I did it I didn't realise there was a blue pad on the floor to shoot you up back to the entrance... Yet every time I passed the entrance and saw that door on the floor I wondered what it was for... 

I shall kick myself all the way to bed. 

I somehow completely missed that Jak and Daxter were getting the PS2 PS4 rerelease treatment. I'm actually still lamenting that Sony decided to nix that specific category from the store and just mixing those games in with every else. 

I've never played the Jak games so I picked this up right away. Maybe one day I'll get the PS3 collection....and maybe one day I'll go back and finish the Ratchet and Clank collection...

I'm still slowly plinking away at FFXII via my Vita currently. Which means I've neglected Pyre and Hellblade.... :/

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, drahkon said:

@Aneres11This guy, @Hero-of-Time, don#t listen to him. He sucks! Maybe.

And no, Iäm not druck. Because this is not the dunrken thread.

It's okay you're allowed to be drunk in all threads. You just aren't allowed to be belligerently drunk outside of the drunken thread. 

So perusing the store I noticed Sonic Mania. Has anyone checked it out at all? It looks like it's basically a half remix of the original games with some new ideas thrown in. Which sounds like a good thing if the movement physics all feel good and the levels are designed in a fun manner. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nolan said:

It's okay you're allowed to be drunk in all threads. You just aren't allowed to be belligerently drunk outside of the drunken thread. 

So perusing the store I noticed Sonic Mania. Has anyone checked it out at all? It looks like it's basically a half remix of the original games with some new ideas thrown in. Which sounds like a good thing if the movement physics all feel good and the levels are designed in a fun manner. 

Dude Sonic Mania is like game of the year material! Check out the thread for it over in Nintendo boards. Most people seem to be discussing it there. 

It won't disappoint anyway! 

• Like 2

Jumped into Jak today. It's enjoyable but it definitely has some aging issues. Camera control is a sticking point, and similar to Crash horizontal jumping is painfully short, with very tight timing for double jumping and ground pounding. 

That said I don't think the controls are bad, just aged. I'm a good 36% through after a few hours. Inside the Precursor Lost City now but quit for the night. 

On 8/27/2017 at 2:15 AM, Nolan said:

Sonic Mania thread! ;)

Well, last night on Jak I plowed through to the Volcanic Crater. Tonight I knocked out both the Snowy Mountain and Spider Cave. I didn't really find either to be too difficult. With exception to not knowing I had to use first person to kill the gnawing lurkers, and that turning off the force meant precision platforming to jump over those. I tried and failed multiple times and then accidentally went over one while sliding on ice. Ah well. 91% complete now; likely to be a platinum tomorrow.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 6:38 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

3 tried and I got it. Tight timing though.

Anyways platinum get. Hell at this right I might hit double digits for platinums sometime this decade. 

@Aneres11 how goes your Jak experience post Spider Cave?

6 hours ago, Nolan said:

@Aneres11 how goes your Jak experience post Spider Cave?

Going by his trophies, he finished and platinumed it the other day. He has now moved on to Resident Evil Revelations.

• Like 1

@Nolan yup as H-o-T says I platinumed it and celebrated with a lie down. Had it been a physical copy I'd have smashed the disc into pieces I hated it that much in the end. :D

Underneath the annoyances it's clearly a great game, and one that is crying out for the Ratchet and Clank remaster treatment. 

19 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

@Nolan yup as H-o-T says I platinumed it and celebrated with a lie down. Had it been a physical copy I'd have smashed the disc into pieces I hated it that much in the end. :D

Underneath the annoyances it's clearly a great game, and one that is crying out for the Ratchet and Clank remaster treatment. 

Harsh. 

I enjoyed it enough I hooked up my PS3 today and  just starting Jak 2. Picked up the collection from the PS Store....$10

Jumping timing feels much better in Jak2 just so you know. 

Annnd apparently I need a new PS3 controller. This is flipping it's shit and doing things on it's own. 

Edited by Nolan

Couldn’t find a last of us thread. So thought I’d post in here.  But god is this game a huge huge disappointed, think it may be more over-rated than the grand theft auto series :)

ive tried three times since launch to get into it, and now I’ve officially given up. The gameplay is so so dull... uncharted was a breath of fresh air, uncharted two is a masterpiece, three was very good, but starting to get a little samey , and 4 got pretty boring, but ultimately fun enough. But last of us I can’t get in to, it’s the very worst of the  rhythm of uncharted - run around a bit, gun fight, run around a bit, gun fight, run around a bit, gun fight, repeat to  fade. So dull. Does anyone else not understand why this game is so revered, or does everyone dream over it?

Edited by dazzybee
  • Like 1

*runs through dazzybee translator*

I enjoyed it and would recommend it to others, but I hardly dream over it (I prefer this rather sweeter take than what I assume you were actually trying to say).  The mechanics and rhythms may not be the best (or freshest) in the world, but I really enjoyed the story and the game's ability to create tension.  Many a time I ended up saying "oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuuuuuuck"

• Like 4

@Ashley sums it up well. The story was fucking fantastic, along with the world they crafted. I am not a fan of Naughty Dogs gunplay at all in any of their games. To me it's the weakest part of the Uncharted series (barely eeking out the bullshit superpowered enemies at the end of Uncharted 2).

Of course in TLoU I actually found the gunplay sections to be fairly competent. Possibly because it focuses more on resource management and most enemies can be eliminated quite quickly. 

If it might suit you more @dazzybee to somewhat experience the story I recommend this LP.

Alternatively to that, https://www.theverge.com/2015/5/1/8523939/the-last-of-us-cinematic-playthrough-tv-style-series someone cut that majority of the gameplay out but has all the dialogue and such all. I've seen the LP but I haven't watched this so I can't vouch for it's exact quality, but I doubt it's bad given the source material. 

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

I felt pretty much the same as you guys, enjoyed the story but found the gameplay pretty lacking. It was the first Naughty Dog game I played though so it at least found it sort of fresh. The environment design was another highlight, everything felt suitably decayed and lived in. You always knew which way to go but felt like there was enough freedom that it wasn't totally signposted, which is one of the highest compliments you can pay to level design.

Mostly though I felt like the story didn't need to be told through a video game and might have been better served as a TV show. I think one of the problems of the game is that it starts so strong, the opening where you play as Joel and his daughter trying to escape the chaos was definitely one of the highlights of the game, with the call back at the end of the game particularly strong.

I very much enjoyed The Last of Us the first time around. But, the second time, I just truly appreciated it on a whole another level. I love it and it's one of the best games that I've played. The game is sublime at storytelling, crafting characters and building a believable post-apocalyptic world. The dialogue and interplay between the characters is also fantastic, too. This is before I even talk about the soundtrack, which is surely one of the greatest. I listen to the soundtrack at least once a week or so on Spotify and for me it was the game changer with how movie-like music in gaming could become.

The whole thing is a package and gameplay is just a part of that deal. I found that the gameplay really helped to build suspense. You could be running low on ammo and supplies and then you might approach a tunnel with tons of the infected running around in the distance. It's very much like the old school Resident Evil games in that respect. There are moments where you can go in all guns a-blazing. Or, you can go in stealthily. Or you can run. There's actually a lot of ways to approach each fight. In my second run through, I was a lot more careful about my supplies and would take what felt like an age before I made each move. Sometimes I'd throw a brick to distract an infected, or lure them towards me before taking them out quietly. The gameplay felt quite "authentic" to me. It didn't feel manufactured like here's a dungeon, pull this lever to go through, solve these twenty puzzles to beat a boss. It's not that kind of gameplay. When playing it the second time around, I was able to appreciate the world a lot more and have to say that I thought the level and world design was great. For me, this is one game that certainly lives up to the hype. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dazzybee said:

Couldn’t find a last of us thread. So thought I’d post in here.  But god is this game a huge huge disappointed, think it may be more over-rated than the grand theft auto series :)

ive tried three times since launch to get into it, and now I’ve officially given up. The gameplay is so so dull... uncharted was a breath of fresh air, uncharted two is a masterpiece, three was very good, but starting to get a little samey , and 4 got pretty boring, but ultimately fun enough. But last of us I can’t get in to, it’s the very worst of the  rhythm of uncharted - run around a bit, gun fight, run around a bit, gun fight, run around a bit, gun fight, repeat to  fade. So dull. Does anyone else not understand why this game is so revered, or does everyone dream over it?

I never fully got on with the PS3 (and look back on it even less fondly now :hmm:) but The Last of Us was always the pinnacle of that console, for me :smile:

I played through the entire game with my wife (she was as invested in the story as I was.. and I rarely ever care about stories in games :heh: ) and had a really good time.

However, just last week I cleared the PS4 version and had a significantly less enjoyable time. The game is still good but knowing the outcome of the story impacted the experience and the gameplay wasn't always satisfying.

I may also play Left Behind again but, again, I'm not sure I'll care as much the second time around.

I'm barely getting time to play anything right now, though, and finding the Switch considerably more appealing.. as you might expect :grin:

Edited by nekunando

I finished and platinumed Cosmic Star Heroine on Saturday. Great little game and one that i've been eager to play for a while. It was nice to play a JRPG that only last around 10 hours and doesn't try to stretch things out any longer than they need to be. The story was pretty basic sci-fi stuff but I still found it enjoyable. The battle system was where the game really shone as it features a nice risk and reward element that has good payoffs is the player is patient. There's also some nice little references to other videogames in this. The Resident Evil 2 homage had me grinning like a kid. :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time

On 14/08/2017 at 0:48 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Capcom may as well be a porting company at this point.

Okami HD confirmed for PS4, XOne and PC. Comes out 12 December.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never bought or played that game. Will it look a bit dated by now or will it hold up well?

• Sad 1