NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Man, that looks rough. The environments look great but the characters faces and animations look awful.

So... Shenmue III release date of 2020 then? :D

At least then it would be in time for the series Twentieth anniversary. :p

And before then, we could have the HD remasters of Shenmue I & II while we wait for the game to be polished/finished. :peace:

I still have faith that the game will be excellent when it's released but... it's going to take a while, so it's a good job I'm happy to patiently wait for it, we've waited this long so what's a few more years? :smile:

2 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

So... Shenmue III release date of 2020 then? :D

Same year as the release of FFVII:R! Sounds good. :D 

• Like 2

Targeting hardcore GT fans and it isn't a Pro? What a spectacularly dumb decision.

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It was this.

36547001552_f40b483dca_o.jpg

35904809743_1def36c813_o.jpg

That's a nice two tone design on the console.

I love the look of the silver, but it really should have been a Pro, as it has been mentioned already. Laaaame. What a shame.

Sony wants the PlayStation 4 to appeal to a wider audience now that it’s successfully sold 60 million units. Talking about its new PlayLink line – where the games are controlled using a smartphone rather than a more traditional DualShock 4 – bigwig Jim Ryan believes that appealing to a new market outside of core gaming communities will help propel the platform to 100 million units.

“We’ve now sold through 60 million PS4s, so the core gamer audience is bought in,” he told Inside Playstation. “So now we’re looking for ways to appeal to a new audience, a less engaged audience, a younger audience – perhaps even an older audience. So people who may be a little bit intimidated by the DualShock 4 and all of its buttons, so the thinking was to find an interface that people are very familiar and comfortable with, and there’s nothing better than a smartphone.”

The platform holder’s got multiple PlayLink titles on the way, including the fascinating Hidden Agenda, which is a social crime detective type title. We’re also starting to see its marketing shift towards kids, as evidenced by a recent commercial which focuses on titles like Yooka-Laylee and Knack 2.

From PushSqare

Fair play to Sony. They already have enough games for the "harcore" players and more coming in the future. Seems smart to appeal to a wider audience.

And the games are going to be good if That's You! is any indication.

Yeah, I don't mind gimmicky stuff when we already have way more games to play than we have time. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Oh yeah, that reminds me...

If anyone wants a Free code for That's You! then let me know, because I'm sure as hell never going to play it. :p

I know it's free for PS Plus at the moment, but maybe when it isn't, someone might need a code or perhaps for someone who doesn't have PS Plus? ::shrug:

It was inside my copy of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and my first thought was...

:blank:

"I didn't ask for this, it's not even mildly related!"

:laughing:

Anyway, if anyone wants it then just give me a shout... in the meantime, I'm off to play some Uncharted for a bit. :peace:

50 minutes ago, drahkon said:

From PushSqare

Fair play to Sony. They already have enough games for the "harcore" players and more coming in the future. Seems smart to appeal to a wider audience.

It depends if they get the balance right. Microsoft tried this tactic with the 360. Once the Kinect was released they lost a lot of fans due to MS concentrating too much on the casual market. This had a knock on effect when this generation started. Hopefully Sony doesn't forget those who actually got them in the lead in the first place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It depends if they get the balance right. Microsoft tried this tactic with the 360. Once the Kinect was released they lost a lot of fans due to MS concentrating too much on the casual market. This had a knock on effect when this generation started. Hopefully Sony doesn't forget those who actually got them in the lead in the first place.

If they can manage to fuck up the balance then Sony should drop out of the video game business. They have so many games out now and in store that appeal to "hardcore" gamers...they need to release a shit ton of casual games in order to fuck this up.

But...never underestimate the stupidity of people :p

• Like 1

I'll be happy if they don't mess it up like Microsoft did with the 360 and Kinect, but i honestly doubt they would.  That's You is a perfect indication of a game for those who don't game as much, aka a nice party game.  As long as Sony balance it fine with games for all, that's good.  Just as long as they don't replace the PS+ titles with them, that's ok.

I wouldn't say there was a danger of Sony not getting enough of the "hardcore" games. The third parties and so on have to put their game somewhere, so they'll always keep coming to the Playstation systems. They only reason they may not do it is if we get timed exclusivity deals on other machines, like with Rise of the Tomb Raider. There just isn't that much sense in making exclusives for, say, the Xbox One and not the PS4 because there is too much money to be made there. 

I think it's fine to have more of these types of games. The bigger the library, the better it is for everyone, surely? There are whole genres on the PS4 that I haven't explored, and you've got gamers out there who only play sports games, or exclusively play shooters, etc. I remember playing Sportsfriends with @Ashley and it was a great laugh, even if it was just a "small, silly game".

Now, if we have Naughty Dog making these sorts of games instead of The Last of Us Part 2, then thaaaat's where problems start to occur! :p

Apparently Sony and Microsoft are having a "talk" about the crossplay to unite gamers. I think it's maybe not this gen but next gen since they will able to work about the multiplayer aspects between their future consoles.

Downloaded Jak and Daxter before.

Pretty sure I've played one of these games before, either PSP or Vita, but it clearly didn't make enough of an impression as I can hardly remember it.

Can't tear myself away from this one though. When I first started playing it, I thought it wasn't going to be that great. Looks rough (understandably), and the controls leave a little to be desired. Camera is a bit shoddy and the jumping feels totally off with double jumping often failing on me altogether. 

But It's so good! :D. I love how each area is fairly small but big enough to hold collectibles and one area seamlessly leads to the other. Yooka-Laylee could learn a thing or two from this game design IMO. Having an absolute blast on it currently. Seems like a decent sized game for its type so hopefully it should tide me over until Tuesday when RE Revelations comes out. Although with an upcoming bank holiday and with how much I'm enjoying this, I can see me being done with it before the weekend! :cool:

9 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Downloaded Jak and Daxter before.

Pretty sure I've played one of these games before, either PSP or Vita, but it clearly didn't make enough of an impression as I can hardly remember it.

Can't tear myself away from this one though. When I first started playing it, I thought it wasn't going to be that great. Looks rough (understandably), and the controls leave a little to be desired. Camera is a bit shoddy and the jumping feels totally off with double jumping often failing on me altogether. 

But It's so good! :D. I love how each area is fairly small but big enough to hold collectibles and one area seamlessly leads to the other. Yooka-Laylee could learn a thing or two from this game design IMO. Having an absolute blast on it currently. Seems like a decent sized game for its type so hopefully it should tide me over until Tuesday when RE Revelations comes out. Although with an upcoming bank holiday and with how much I'm enjoying this, I can see me being done with it before the weekend! :cool:

It's a fantastic game, if a little rough around the edges now. The sequels aren't half as good, as they go all GTA and make Jak all dark and moody. 

• Like 1

Having loved Jak and Daxter to begin with I am now finding it absolutely infuriating. 

So tempted many times today to just sack it off, but I know if I do that I'll never return to it. 

It just gets pretty difficult and some of the sections require pretty precise platforming and the controls just don't seem tight enough. I am persevering but it doesn't help having Revelations staring at me and that's a game I actually want to play!

1 hour ago, Aneres11 said:

Having loved Jak and Daxter to begin with I am now finding it absolutely infuriating. 

So tempted many times today to just sack it off, but I know if I do that I'll never return to it. 

It just gets pretty difficult and some of the sections require pretty precise platforming and the controls just don't seem tight enough. I am persevering but it doesn't help having Revelations staring at me and that's a game I actually want to play!

I finished and platinumed it last night. Found it pretty easy, but then I've played through it multiple times. :D

What part is giving you trouble?

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I finished and platinumed it last night. Found it pretty easy, but then I've played through it multiple times. :D

What part is giving you trouble?

The snow world was annoying. I just find the controls to be really hit and miss which makes the overall gameplay difficult. Sometimes it's also hard to know what to do without consulting the net, but I have never played it before so I guess it's not as easy!

There are some sections that I struggled with like the bike sections in one of the worlds where you had to drive through the purple / blue portals. Nearly smashed something tbh. :D

In the spider cave at the minute. 

3 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

The snow world was annoying. I just find the controls to be really hit and miss which makes the overall gameplay difficult. Sometimes it's also hard to know what to do without consulting the net, but I have never played it before so I guess it's not as easy!

There are some sections that I struggled with like the bike sections in one of the worlds where you had to drive through the purple / blue portals. Nearly smashed something tbh. :D

In the spider cave at the minute. 

Yeah, the blue/purple races can be a bit of pain due to the twitchy bike controls.

If you're in the Spider Cave then you're not far off the end. Fair warning, I always found the Spider Cave to be the most annoying level in the game.

Keep at it. You're nearly there!

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, the blue/purple races can be a bit of pain due to the twitchy bike controls.

If you're in the Spider Cave then you're not far off the end. Fair warning, I always found the Spider Cave to be the most annoying level in the game.

1595pj.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

And of course, I'm missing 5 orbs in the spider cave. Because it hasn't been SO MUCH FUN enough without having to trawl through it some more. :cry:

27 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

And of course, I'm missing 5 orbs in the spider cave. Because it hasn't been SO MUCH FUN enough without having to trawl through it some more. :cry:

It's a nightmare when that happens. :D 

People usually miss some in the mine area of the level.

30 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's a nightmare when that happens. :D 

People usually miss some in the mine area of the level.

Must be two hours on this level now. Can't find them anywhere. I've looked absolutely everywhere. Not sure if glitch or what as I know they randomly appear when you kill those caterpillar things at the start but I can't look anywhere else and I am well and truly pissed off and beaten. I've never felt so miserable playing a game. And to think I loved it to start with. 

49 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Must be two hours on this level now. Can't find them anywhere. I've looked absolutely everywhere. Not sure if glitch or what as I know they randomly appear when you kill those caterpillar things at the start but I can't look anywhere else and I am well and truly pissed off and beaten. I've never felt so miserable playing a game. And to think I loved it to start with. 

They'll be somewhere. Have you tried looking in the construction site where all the swing sticks are? There's some right near the top ( think there's 5 ) where you need to swing up at the peak of your jump and then swing across.

Go into first person mode and have a gander at the high places with the swing sticks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They'll be somewhere. Have you tried looking in the construction site where all the swing sticks are? There's some right near the top ( think there's 5 ) where you need to swing up at the peak of your jump and then swing across.

Go into first person mode and have a gander at the high places with the swing sticks.

Yeah I got those ones. Have no clue where I could have missed. 

Also just had the joy of getting that one in the volcanic crater that requires you to use the yellow eco from the spider cave. That didn't brighten my mood. :p

Might call it a night and attempt more tomorrow. Cheers for your help tonight :)