NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

I think it's a nice mix tbh, there's plenty of new PS4 and Indie games I'd want too. But like I said I was late to the PS party.

I wouldnt call the PS4 a joke at all but it is obviously lacking in the first party department at the moment. Consoles exclusives its actually doing pretty well on as their main target for that is Indies and they've got a load of those. Third party is also strong so its still a very attractive console for people.

I do believe that the first party games will come in time but until we get more of those announcements then I dont mind a few remastered games popping up. I'll buy GoW3.

To be honest I don't doubt it either.

I don't think it is a joke, no. The reason they are getting made is because there is money in them. As long as there are many new games coming as well, which there are, then there's no issue at all with me. Don't like them? Don't buy them. They're probably not meant for you.

Not meaning to go off topic here, but this is just one way for developers to make a little extra money out of their games. Often they outsource remaster development so it's not like it's taking their attention away from making new games. IMO (and I stress my opinion) it's less of a joke than something like amiibos, which are essentially pure cash grabs (what are they, £11?). I'm kinda glad they do remasters as they are a great way for people to play games they may have missed or want to play again.

Edited by Sheikah

Yeah, Sony have been lacking in first party AAA games but they've been absolutely blinding when it has come to indie games and personally I don't really see the distinction between the two. That's probably eased by the fact that there are loads of incredible third party AAA games like Far Cry, Alien Isolation, Shadow of Mordor and Destiny. But yeah, they need to sort their shit out when it comes to first party titles. Drive Club and Infamous are maybe the only stand out titles and DC was handled catastrophically.

Weirdly enough, one of my biggest highlights from last year was P.T. I think it might be the first stand-out next-gen game for me this generation.

Not just me, here's Hero's best bud :) <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Cool idea: make actual new games that no one has ever played for PS4. I'm not opposed to remasters, but they shouldn't dominate the library.</p>— Jonathan Metts (@Jonnymetts) <a href="
">March 20, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think I can make that out....

You're certainly not alone but at the same time there are those who don't mund remastered games. This is obviously a large number because these games continue to sell.

Greg and Colin used to talk about this on Beyond a lot and it comes down to this. If you want them, then buy them. If you don't want them, then don't buy them. It really is that simple.

As this is the first non Nintendo/Sega console I have ever owned I welcome remasters/ports/remakes etc

As this is the first non Nintendo/Sega console I have ever owned I welcome remasters/ports/remakes etc

Yeah that's the thing, there's a lot of people who never had these games first time round. If they can make a profit from these people as well as people who want to experience the games again but with graphical upgrades then I don't see the problem. More people getting to play games is a good thing!

Yeah, Sony have been lacking in first party AAA games but they've been absolutely blinding when it has come to indie games and personally I don't really see the distinction between the two. That's probably eased by the fact that there are loads of incredible third party AAA games like Far Cry, Alien Isolation, Shadow of Mordor and Destiny. But yeah, they need to sort their shit out when it comes to first party titles. Drive Club and Infamous are maybe the only stand out titles and DC was handled catastrophically.

Weirdly enough, one of my biggest highlights from last year was P.T. I think it might be the first stand-out next-gen game for me this generation.

Yeah, I'm loving Indies as much as anything lately too. And like with Hollywood, the distinction between them not about 'worth' but maybe the (very near) future will see the really interesting stuff with indies and the great spectacular stuff as big blockbusters (with the occasional one being a masterpiece in their own right).

And forgot all about PT, that was incredible. Terrifying.

I think I can make that out....

You're certainly not alone but at the same time there are those who don't mund remastered games. This is obviously a large number because these games continue to sell.

Greg and Colin used to talk about this on Beyond a lot and it comes down to this. If you want them, then buy them. If you don't want them, then don't buy them. It really is that simple.

Ha, sorry, I thought it would embed, I'm rubbish with this forum bedding stuff :)

I actually don't mind remastered games at all, I guess my point was more that it's strange it seems a huge part of the PS4 at the minute is older games ported over. More that.

We'll see what happens into the future, Batman isn't too far away and I can't wait for that!!

Ine, Ashley and I are playing Sports friends.

I have no idea what's going on.

I don't think remasters are any kind of issue as long as they're only making up a small portion of the system's offerings. It's not like they're being used to tide us over until we get some new games. Also, they know they have a huge proportion of last generation's 360 and Wii diehards now who missed out. Moreover, they're relativity cheap to produce and that saving is usually passed on.

And yeah astoundingly we don't allow you to embed whatever html and JavaScript you might want into the middle of our forum, who'd a thunk it :p

Edited by Shorty

I suppose they gotta fill up that release schedule with something. As much as I adore the game it does seem a bit weird just remastering this one and none of the others. At least it's a budget release.

fist-pump-baby1.jpg

This made my day yesterday. So hyped to finally play this.

Only the other day did I mention to @Hero\-of\-Time that I'd like to see this on the PS4 remastered.

I loved 1 & 2, nearly bought a PS3 just to play 3.

I can't say that I mind these remasters or ports too much. I'm the opposite, I'm very grateful! I can play Tomb Raider, The Last of Us and now God of War on the PS4. :D

Going Nintendo only last gen meant I missed out on a lot, so if there's an opportunity for me to play these games without having to purchase more hardware, I'm for it.

I really can't remember a console getting no must-own exclusive (I realise it's subjective) for so long, yet be so incredibly popular. Find it quite fascinating actually.
I'm thinking it's because hardware-wise the console just has so much potential, I mean it's feature packed with stuff like built-in screen/video capture, video editing, live streaming, all of the social stuff and online aspects, nice integration with the mobile app.

Even little things like music playback via USB that can run in the background (which I only discovered the other day :hehe:) is really cool. And there's the suspend/resume feature coming soon apparently, which should be another great addition.

I agree with you as far as the games are concerned though, the retail games I've played so far (Alien, LBP3 and Driveclub) are good, but they're essentially just filling the gap until titles I'd really like to play are available, stuff like The Tomorrow Children, Rime, Tearaway, Just Cause 3, New Mingol Project...

I've actually had much more enjoyment playing PSN stuff on PS4 so far, with Resogun and OlliOlli 2 being the highlights. :awesome:

Perhaps I jumped on the PS4 ship a tad too early, but I don't regret it. Got a good deal in the January sales, am ready for whenever the games I'm looking forward to start arriving, and I'm getting to play a lot of new stuff every month thanks to PS+ in the meantime. :)

I don't mean to be negative, but do other people really not think the PS4 is becoming a bit of a joke with all these remasters? GoW and Gravity Rsh today.... most of the machines best games are remasters I've played on old machines... With all the PSN outages, I just feel Sony are getting a piss easy ride, if this was MS or Nintendo I think there'd be an uproar, but I think it's a pretty bad situation!! Can people not jump to the defensive too and start attacking and actually give honest opinions about the situation. I think it's the weirdest console so far!!

ABSOLUTELY! I didn't even have a PS3 and it bugs me. Nintendo release a NEW Mario game and everybody moans because it's another Mario game, Sony re-release an old game and everybody buys the console. There is no logic to it whatsoever. Don't get me wrong Nintendo have made a real hash of the Wii U but I don't see Sony doing anything better other than having COD & FIFA.

There's tonnes of games on the PS4 @Clownferret. Just because you only see value in COD and FIFA, doesn't mean that's literally all it has.

The reason for the PS4 success is simple - it's currently the best games console there is and it gets nearly all the third party games, and Japanese output. Anything extra is a bonus. :D

And like Redshell says, it's also its potential. Everyone knew how great the PS3 was in the end with its great selection in games, and people are expecting the PS4 to carry on the same. When I bought my PS4 I didn't even buy a game with it. I just bought the console and nothing else because I was certain the PS4 would deliver in time(and it has already in my opinion) based on my experience with the PS3.

ABSOLUTELY! I didn't even have a PS3 and it bugs me. Nintendo release a NEW Mario game and everybody moans because it's another Mario game

Seriously, who on earth moans about this? I literally never see anyone complaining about "another Mario game". Maybe they complain because rushed 2D platformers come out and it's been five years since the last fully fledged title, but nobody is bemoaning Nintendo revisiting their staple IP. The difference on PS4 is that sequels and remasters don't get in the way of the release of new AAA titles.

I think people might complain that Nintendo is making new games that are similar to their old ones repeatedly (2D Mario), but with remasters you know what you're getting and it's a smaller, quicker project for a company (sometimes even outsourced) so it doesn't stop them focusing on else.

i think the idea in principle of remastering games is good, just not ones that were only released on the previous console a couple of years ago.

I, like others, have only recently made the jump to a non-Nintendo console. Therefore I'm loving all these remastered versions. Wouldn't have been able to play GTA5 or The Last of Us otherwise and they're great games. And at the moment I'd rather have played those remastered "old" games than pay any money on a new Mario platformer.

I think Flink would agree with Somme as he said similar to me over the weekend. It's a great way for new Sony gamers to experience the best of last generation.

There's tonnes of games on the PS4 @Clownferret. Just because you only see value in COD and FIFA, doesn't mean that's literally all it has.

The reason for the PS4 success is simple - it's currently the best games console there is and it gets nearly all the third party games, and Japanese output. Anything extra is a bonus. :D

But that isn't the reason it's successful. Great ending to the PS3, real improvement of services and momentum (building consumer trust). Nintendo fucking up the end of the Wii, the 3ds and the Wii u and xbox messing up royally before launch. I genuinely think marketing/perception is the primary reason, coupled with a really solid console and 3rd party support has made its beyond poor exclusives irrelevant, which is a big surprise. Nothing wrong with it, just a surprise. And it'll be interesting in 10 years time how people look back at the console. Obviously the next few years a anything could happen, but I'm pretty confident nothing in its first 2 will get mentioned.

I'm not sure how it can be a surprise that it's selling even though it hasn't had time to accrue tonnes of top exclusives yet. Because surely if you sell a console that is going to play like 95%+ of games that will release for likely the next 6 years and that console bests its competition across several areas (price, specs, features, dev support, PS plus games) then it's almost a foregone conclusion it will sell like crazy? Marketing and perception are only moderately sized pieces of the pie in explaining the success, and in saying that you wash away so much credit. Perception also only comes as a result of doing the important things right, it's not so much of a reason in itself.

I know others have said this to you but many here are very happy with the PS4 exclusives, Knack aside, so it's definitely a case of differing opinions here. Saying beyond poor is mental though! You've also then got to look to the future and PS4 again wins hands down on its exclusive lineup, which in part explains why the PS4 is doing so well, because people don't just buy for the here and now. Just look at what's coming - No Man's Sky, Uncharted, Persona and Bloodborne. These are huge deals with a lot of interest. I'm sure others like me look at X1 and see games we want like Tomb Raider but we know that at the end of the day it's a timed exclusive, so don't feel the need to rush out to buy an X1. Ok, NMS is essentially timed too, but MS are stubborn with parity so it may never see the light of day with them.

That lineup is what we know about for now, before even considering Japanese games that went to PS3 (e.g. Tales of series) that now will likely go to PS4. And Dragon Quest! We know that's going home console, and PS4 seems most likely right now since MS have no presence in Japan.

Yes, plenty of reasons to be excited, plenty of reasons to buy a PS4. Not surprising at all that it's doing well. :p

Edited by Sheikah

Moan moan moan moan moan.

Jeez if gaming is so depressing and disappointing then sell your PS4 and get a new hobby.

tumblr_inline_niwv6pdd9r1s82u4u.jpg

I think Daz has a point. Of course a solid console with a bright future is necessary to convince buyers, but I went to a university gaming event recently where Team Xbox were surveying public attitudes towards the main consoles, and how those attitudes were informed by positive or negative publicity on social media. I'm sure Nintendo and Sony are conducting this sort of research as well, but the nature of the survey was quite telling. Microsoft is still feeling the consequences of its original marketing fuck-up, and sustained antipathy has been reflected in the media. Some of that antipathy is due to its slight deficiency in hardware performance, but a good deal of it is residue from its infamous inauguration at E3. And Sony have completely dominated the marketing space with its 4theplayers strategy. I remember the Playstation ads and their aesthetic, but I don't remember shit about the Xbox campaign.

Edited by dwarf