NEurope
gaggle64

London 2012 Olympics & Paralympics

Can I interest people in women's handball? :p (since handball at all haven't been mentioned) Pretty much Norway's best chance for gold medal. Reigning European, World and Olympic champion! We have some hope in javelin and one of the rowing competitions but personally I'm most excited about handball.

We may have just started a war (well, an end to ceasefire, they're technically still at war).

There's currently three live so far, but it's probably limited to UK. Try a direct link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00w2qyt

It will probably say something like "Not available in your country"

yeah, get big text saying

"I'm sorry, we can't show this content in your area."

I'll try looking for a site tomorrow. Surely there must be some free official streams out there somewhere

Someone else said (sorry - can't remember who!) that they're looking forward to watching sporting events that they never usually watch.

ME

yeah, get big text saying

"I'm sorry, we can't show this content in your area."

I'll try looking for a site tomorrow. Surely there must be some free official streams out there somewhere

ME

Do you know who has the rights in your country? Over here we are lucky enough, for the time being, to have the government channel(similar to BBC I think) that has and shows what they can fit on two channels and everything online and for free. That is until the private pay-per-month overbid them.

Someone else said (sorry - can't remember who!) that they're looking forward to watching sporting events that they never usually watch.

And me :p

Edited by Tales

Did a quick Google. It will be on the RTÉ Player.

Urgh this. Had such a fucking ballache trying to get to Covent Garden on Monday simply because everything was closed off because the IOC wanted to see the Opera.

I'm mostly just annoyed by the IOC/LOCOG*. It's been handled so shitly.

*not just because of the above

I'm interested in these.

• Most athletics
  • All cycling
  • Football
  • Swimming
  • Table tennis

Not too bothered about the rest, but I'll watch as much as i can.

I'm excited about all of the sport, because i like watching sport, and yes, I enjoy watching sports that normally you don't get to see..

What really pisses me off is the journalism during the games. Literally every point on the news last night had somehow been linked tenuously to the Olympics. And it was all that overdramatic, sensationalist nonsense, asking random people what they thought about traffic etc. I don't care, i just want to watch some sport.

Did a quick Google. It will be on the RTÉ Player.

ah cheers, i didn't see anything listed on the main RTE Player part of the site, turns out you need to go to the sports section first :heh:

You think displaying the Wrong Flag was bad?

Take a look at this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17494812

well at least it wasn't at the Olympics but that is insane.... I would have thought the organisers from the competing countries would have to submit their anthem when entering events. That's how it's done in football for the World Cup and such.

Though now I do remember at the 1996 games in Atlanta when we had a swimmer win a few golds they played a slightly incorrect version of our anthem. It was still part of the anthem but I think it was the tune from one of the verses that never actually gets sung at events (there's 3 verses and chorus in the full song, but only the Chorus is sung as the Anthem at events)

The organisers in Atlanta said they'd have the proper one if anyone else from Ireland got a gold.... nobody did :heh:

And then later that swimmer tested positive for drugs....but she wasn't stripped of her medals so it still counts :heh:

Just looked up a video of that Kazahkstan one on Youtube, fair play to the Kazahk girl for not freaking out. If that was me and I'd just won a gold I'd be so looking forward to sing the Irish anthem on the podium and if the wrong one was played I would have a massive freak out :heh:

I wouldn't even notice if they played the wrong British/English one.

I wouldn't even notice if they played the wrong British/English one.

Like what...play God Save the King instead of God Save the Queen? :D

In serious though

Doubt it would happen, but if it did I'm sure you'd notice something off if watching a medal ceremony with a Brit getting Gold and something else was played

Where do they hire these people? Can I get a job with the BBC where all I have to do to supply audio and graphics for broadcast is go on google and hit "I'm feeling lucky"? Can't our license fee pay for access to a professionally maintained repository?

Doubt it would happen, but if it did I'm sure you'd notice something off if watching a medal ceremony with a Brit getting Gold and something else was played

What I meant was that I don't know the tune or words. The only bit of a national anthem I know is

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,

Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri

Enjoyed the days of football so far yesterday and today, chomping at the bit for things to start for real.

Spain lost to Japan 1 - 0 in the Mens football tournament earlier today.... maybe they won't be getting such a clean sweep of 1st places afterall.

Though still early I guess, still 2 group games left.

Most try catch highlights of that match later and see how Japan dealt with Spains keep-ball tactics.... anyone know if Spain went with no striker, haha.

Will be trying to remember to check out the GBR match tonight. I'm hopin they medal purely because I'd like to see Giggs get an Olympic medal.

He's one of those unfortunate players who are individually World Class but unfortunate to have not competed at a World Cup or European Championship and I'd love to see him top his career with an Olympic medal of any kind.

Also what is the deal on the Womens GBR team?

Like was there the same "issues" in the creation of that as with the mens...with the Scottish, Welsh & Northern Irish FA's against the idea?

Also I've not seen a full squad list of the mens team. Would I be right in saying it is mostly English players with a few Welsh and no Scots or Northern Irish?

2 days into the Olympics and 2 screw ups. The Korea flag thing yesterday, and now they've listed Joe Allen as English in the match programme. He's welsh.

Schoolboy errors.

The term 'school boy errors' always used to annoy me when i was a school boy. Poor school boys, they get blamed for everything.

2 days into the Olympics and 2 screw ups. The Korea flag thing yesterday, and now they've listed Joe Allen as English in the match programme. He's welsh.

Schoolboy errors.

I would have thought they'd just list all the Team GB atheltes (no matter what sport) as "British"

Anyway enjoyed the footy, was switching between the Brazil and GB games. Mainly watched Brazil

First half they were destroying Egypt, 3-0 at halftime, but Egypt made a surprise comeback attempt in 2nd half and pulled it back to 3-2 and that;s how it ended, good game.

Watched the GB game and thought it was pretty good in parts. Did think the game went pretty slow in the second half, Senegal had a lot of the ball and looks better with it, but not a bad first game. Can't believe the amount of assault the Senegal team were allowed to get away with, Bellamy was hacked down and should've got a penalty.

In Beijing, we had tons of potential candidates for Gold medals. Now, we only have two: Telma Monteiro in Women's Judo, and Marco Fortes in Weight Throw (as long as he performs after lunch :heh:).

The others are either injured, retired or rustier than before. I sure hope we can still see a surprise.

Also, speaking of gaffes with anthems: in a recent Brazil-Spain match (an indoor sport, can't remember if volleyball, handball or futsal) in Brazil, they played Portugal's anthem instead of Spain's.

Nobody really knows how that happened.

One reason I wanted a forum so a single thread(like this) didn't turn all British, just saying :p

Opening ceremony starts tomorrow 22 CET. Very excited!

Edited by Tales

I'm actually really excited about the Olympics.

quite a few event's i'll be watching / recording.

Tennis

Table Tennis

Badminton

Boxing

Taekwondo

Football

But will try to watch as much as I can.

One reason I wanted a forum so a single thread(like this) didn't turn all British, just saying :p

Opening ceremony starts tomorrow 22 CET. Very excited!

I actually had considered making a sub-forum like I do for the football tournaments but decided not to cuz

1: Wasn't sure if there'd be much demand for it?

Every other Olympic year in the last 10 I've been here we've only ever had a thread for the Olympics and I don't recall it ever being particularly "busy" to need to divide things up into different threads and thus maybe a forum.

But maybe with it being in London this year and most people here from the UK maybe it different this year?

2: I wasn't sure how to make the threads? One for each sport? Could then end up with a load of unused threads.

A thread for select sports... could end up with too few threads?

A thread for certain countries?

Didn't seem like any neat or logical way to do it that would create it like with the football which was easy enough to just make threads based on the tournament formats.

But since at least one member has brought it up and technically since it's not yet offically started. If a number of members think there is a need for it and want a temp board (and can suggest which threads could be created in it) I'll ask the other mods/admins what they think?