NEurope
gaggle64

London 2012 Olympics & Paralympics

Haha, good point. Yeah, those bigger countries have a huge advantage since they have so much more people. I mean the UK has a population of something like 62 million, whereas Finland has 5.4 million and Ireland 4.5 million, so what can you expect...Not saying I'm completely happy with the shitty "oh we have lost it already" attitude of some Finnish athletes, but still, the numbers play a part as well of course.

Yeah, though population isn't the only factor of course in providing a better pool of athletes, funding and proper youth systems and such are of course a big factor...something Ireland isn't great at but getting better.

eg: Philippines has a population of over 100million but only had 11 athletes qualify this year. And I can never get over how Filipinos (least the ones I know...cousins, friends, etc) keep wondering why that is all they have.... a lack of any kind of government funded sports programs doesn't give them a clue? :heh:

After seeing our Judo girl get eliminated early, our weight thrower not making it to the finals, our rowers coming in 5th place, and our Ping-Pong team almost defeating the Koreans (who went on to get Silver)...

We finally got a medal! :yay: Silver in Kayak double.

Alright if anyone is wondering.... Yes I do have a video with my reaction when Katie Taylor was announced as the winner and Gold medalist

Oh, Mokong. I can practically hear your wife rolling her eyes in the other room. :p

Oh, Mokong. I can practically hear your wife rolling her eyes in the other room. :p

She's sitting on the sofa behind me going "woooo" (you can barely hear her with me shouting :heh:).... she was holding Oisín... until I picked him up of course

Truly a match made in heaven!

Unless she was just humoring you. :p

Haha, good point. Yeah, those bigger countries have a huge advantage since they have so much more people. I mean the UK has a population of something like 62 million, whereas Finland has 5.4 million and Ireland 4.5 million, so what can you expect...Not saying I'm completely happy with the shitty "oh we have lost it already" attitude of some Finnish athletes, but still, the numbers play a part as well of course.

But the UK is still a fairly small country.

And you have India. 1.2 billion people. 1 silver, 3 bronze.

Another thing, the Olympics is very much about the individual sports, rather than the final medal count. Even getting into one of the events is an astonishing achievement.

Also, well done to the 19 year old from Flint.

Botswana (a country quite close to my heart) are doing well on the whole atheletes to medal ratio. They only brought four atheletes, and the silver medal (their first ever) in the 800m gives them a 25% medal to athelete ratio, secodn only to the USA. Woohoo!

Over the history of the olympics, Finland has the highest number of medals per capita.

Yeah, seems so : o Although, it's pretty different now than in the early 20th century...I mean in 1908-1956, the average was about 22 medals (!) per olympics, while for 1960-2008 it has been about 5 medals. Probably a lot of different reasons for that...more countries competing, the after effects of all the wars, standard of living rising to a too comfortable level etc... ;D

But the UK is still a fairly small country.

And you have India. 1.2 billion people. 1 silver, 3 bronze.

Another thing, the Olympics is very much about the individual sports, rather than the final medal count. Even getting into one of the events is an astonishing achievement.

Yeah, that's true, although you cannot really draw a straight comparison, because India is still a newly-industrialised country, just like China. Western countries are in a much more stable position...

Btw, our saldo is now 1 silver, 1 bronze, both from sailing. Apparently, we're a sea power from now on... o_O

Edited by Ville

Just heard that the Spice Girls will perform tonight at the Closing Ceremony as part of a "Celebration of British Music" if there is again no Iron Maiden or Sabbath I will call FAIL

Just heard that the Spice Girls will perform tonight at the Closing Ceremony as part of a "Celebration of British Music" if there is again no Iron Maiden or Sabbath I will call FAIL

Neither are currently in the rumoured lists, which consists of:

Adele, Beady Eye (Liam Gallagher), Kate Bush, Jamiroquai, Elton John & George Michael, Ray Davies, Annie Lennox, Paul McCartney, Madness, Muse, One Direction, The Pet Shop Boys, Queen, The Rolling Stones, Ed Sheeran & Nick Mason, The Spice Girls, Take That (now unlikely due to recent events), Paul Weller, The Who, Russell Brand, Elbow Tinie Tempah, Fatboy Slim.

Well they don't even have to be there... (I actually think Maiden are on Tour in the US at the moment anyway) but at least should have a song of there's played partially like when they didn various clips of different songs at the Opening.

To at such a major event have a portion dubbed a "Celebration of British Music" and not include either or both Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath is ignoring what many would see as two of the most influential "internationally recognised" bands to come out of England/Britian. Both are likely mostly responsible for the rise of Heavy Metal.... and with Maiden being so popular in Brazil that would be a good link too for the switch over :wink:

EDIT

Just found this, certainly a great picture/moment captured

usairan.jpg

You could make an argument for many different bands appearing. British music has transcended many genres over the years. There's a fair bit of variation in that rumoured list, anyway.

It's been an immense competition. Really enjoyed watching it. Loved the coverage. Atmosphere has been fantastic and it's nice to see it go on with very little problems. Can't say I was massively looking forward to it beforehand, but it's gripped me and I've struggled to look away.

Can't say I was massively looking forward to it beforehand, but it's gripped me and I've struggled to look away.

I'm pretty pleased the games finally end today. For two weeks, I haven't been able to get anything done. Have just sat here watching, totally mesmerised at all the bright colours, fancy events and hot, extremely talented athletes... o_O So please, let it end already! xD

Really sad that it's almost over. Had the best three weeks ever at the Olympic Park, about to head in for one final time to celebrate and watch the closing ceremony in the media centre. Team GB have done so well, who would've thought we would come above Russia in the medal table?

Went up the Orbit tower today and saw into the Stadium a bit, the set looks pretty cool. Replica London Eye and Royal Albert Hall among other landmarks in the set.

No matter who is performing, it's bound to be one hell of a show.

Watching some of the final events, as the Finnish broadcasting company is showing them with commentary now. Rhythmic gymnastics...man these ladies are brilliant! : o

The Olympic Park is right about where Iron Maiden were formed, however we all know Metal isn't main stream enough for the majority of tv viewers. Only chance of a band tonight is someone like The Who or Brian May + a singer ie. TV friendly.

An absolutely fantastic two weeks. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

These athletes have been busting a gut for the past 4 years for these events. Watching different sports other than just football is a great change.

What was your favourite Olympic moment? I'm unsure on mine but it has to be either:

-Jess Ennis and winning the Heptahlon

-Andy Murray winning the tennis

-Chris Hoy becoming the most successful British Olympian

-Mo Farah - 5k & 10k

-Usain Bolt becoming the greatest sprinter ever.

Ha! NBC just had to inform it's viewers that that wasn't Batman getting out of the Reliant Robin, but a folk figure known as 'Del Boy' who is kind of like Robin Hood.....

Ha? Who outside of GB would have known or am I alone? I thought it was Batman. I was confused as of why Batman would show up in an British Olympic because I was certain he was American.

it was a homage to Only Fools and Horses

Del-Boy-Rodney.jpg

but dear lord this music section is horrendous

Between Russle Brand doing "I am the Walrus" and Jessie J singing "We Will Rock You" this isn't a Celebration of British Music it's like they are actively trying to murder British Music :cry: